/spg/ - Smartphone General - Nokiabros Edition

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>Reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Software Recommendations
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/List_of_recommended_Android_software

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Recommended Chinkphones
pastebin.com/eMtwGjJX

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone
>PRAISE THE MONGOL PHONES you little shits

Previous:

Attached: 655666-nokia-world-mobile-congress-2018-reuters.jpg (1280x720, 158K)

Other urls found in this thread:

techrankup.com/upcoming-smartphones.php
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

just get the s9

Just got my Nokia 6.1. Best phone I have had in years

yes i am at version 9.5.4

Owner of Z5. Used to own a Z2. I like Sony phones so I would buy ZX1.

Bruh, we are in the same boat!
Check out my post and follow-ups.
Let's keep the discussion rolling.
Leaning to Nokia 8. 2 more ram. It's something.

>the new Asus isn't in the OP picture

Attached: Blank+_ca0451c433a76efdbfb318c98976f10b.jpg (1000x661, 133K)

hah!
where does the 2 more gigs of ram come from tho? pic related is what I get
I think I'll go with the Nokia just for shits and giggles; the ~60 euro extra for the sony would go into the camera which I won't use for work anyway
and I like that the Nokia has thinner bezels
(the Sony still looks prettier overall)

if it were for personal use I'd probably get a smaller one

Attached: file.png (383x406, 36K)

Nokia 5 bro here.
>Post a mini-review of your phone
For the price (paid 120 euro) a very nice phone. Basics work fine. Not too much bloat. Fingerprintscanner is very fast. Battery lasts several days.
Downsides:
Not very snappy. (sometimes some lag)
Screen is 720 p.
No QI charging.
Bit bulky.
Need SD card as 16gb is too little for modern android.
Camera not the best and bit slow.
Plus:
There is a version with dual sim AND sd slot.

Well, pack it up boys, show's over.

Attached: 590abbd1-e5cd-482a-83a1-092f53a5562b.png (744x1243, 244K)

There is a 6gb version

Have old Samsung Galaxy Mega 6.3 that I would like to use for couple of months as daily till I get something new (gave current phone - Redmi 4 prime to gf).

Is there anything semi modern yet stable to flash? Stock 4.4 is horrible bug ridden samshit.

Should I try Lineage?

oh, seems that's not available on the website I was looking on
guess that makes it even easier then
haven't checked specifically but another advantage of the Nokia is that it allegedly has way less (if not 0) bloatware, which for me is a huge plus
so I'm getting the Nokia :3
yay free phone

Mine isn't free, but yay for you!!

>MicroUSB
Why? Same thing with the Redmi Note 5 Pro. Are pajeets allergic to USB-C?

I want to install LineageOS on my device, should I wait for 15.1 to come out or just go with 14.1?

Attached: 1502067519108.png (224x224, 30K)

nah but honestly I was planning to get a new phone for myself and this would've been it either way, it's really well priced and I probably couldn't bring myself to spend more than 400 euros for a phone (the 4gig nokia goes for 390 here, the sony for 440)
I could've gotten something overly expensive and payed the difference over 475 from my own pocket but I don't think it makes sense to throw so much money on a phone

for my own use I still have my trusty Nexus 5 from 4 years ago :3
>still the best looking phone I've ever seen if you ask me

I don't believe it'll be that cheap(200 dollars for the 64/4 version). If it really is I have to buy it.

Attached: 1505494478952.gif (840x488, 511K)

you'll probably wait a long time, and also 14.1 is great

Attached: 1495636188970.jpg (300x200, 10K)

I must say, MIUI is not as bad as I heard. I'm gonna keep it until "updates" slow it down, then custom rom it is.

Xperia X Compact worth it for 50 euros?

Apparentely the only thing it is missing for my device(it is a Redmi Note 4) is proper SELinux implementation, and it is one of the most popular devices for Lineage so it would be two months of waiting at most realistically.

Should I buy note 8 or wait for 9? I dont care about the cost as I intend to replace my carry-on laptop (I travel quite a bit) with it using dex and hopefully we get linux on galaxy at somepoint in the future. Treble support kinda interests me, though

Is usb c a meme?
I don't like any current phone with usb c aside from the mi a1, but music listening is important and the hiss is apparently not fixed

is it ok to stay on micro usb?

but at first you'd have to live with unstable nightlies for months

Dude, stop it you are freaking me out. I have a 5 year old Nexus 5! It started lagging hard on me about 6 months ago so I needed to replace it. The Nexus 5 is amazing I agree, but it's really coming apart on me.

awww :3
I had to take it apart twice now because of the power button issue; a clean up or a good shake fixed it every time but yea it's lagging hard now which is getting rather annoying
battery is also not ideal anymore

so now you have to get the Nokia and we can get a new phone in /spg/ in 4-5 years :3

Attached: bmo_love.jpg (501x326, 29K)

How is it? I'm still torn between the 7+ and the 6.1. I feel like I'll miss out the SD660 and the double camera if I take the 6.1 but I don't know if it's worth 100€

You are literally describing my own maintenance history. Haha! See you in 4-5 years!

If you care at all about the future of democracy and our way of life, don't buy ZTE, Xiaomi, or Huawei. All of these companies help the Chinese Communist Party subvert it's self into every corner of the globe. You might think that your purchase won't affect anything but every user they gain is more soft power they have to use as leverage over other countries and companies. Look what's happened to Apple, in order to gain access to the market they were forced to build a server in China which the Chinese authorities have full access to. Chinese companies are bad for everyone as they currently stand.

I'd opt for a z5c over the x compact tbqhf

Nokia 6.1
I'll wait for the first price drop Idk about Europe but 7+ and 8 are priced pretty similar in my country

I'm aNokia5n and also had a Nexus 5. Dynamite phone. Off course it hadn't the best battery life and was getting old and had no way to upgrade storage, but for the rest it was just an awesome phone. Mine also fell apart so when the orientation sensor started going haywire i got a new one.
Starting a job in a year so i didn't want to go all out when it's likely i'll be getting a company phone anyway.

Stale pasta, don't give this shitposter any (You)s

Me again.
Also, ya, the battery is a huge issue. If you had it for four years then get ready, it really goes down hill from here.
Still lasts a full day with minimal use.

Yeah, the 8 is even a bit cheaper, but I'm gonna wait until the end of summer to change. I hope my lumia 830 will last until then

LG G4/G5 or HTC One M8/M9? I want good rom support and a reliable phone.

They're all shit

I have the dual SIM one. Comfiest phone ever, just werks. Also I actually like the sober, simple design.
If you don't need a lot of beef from a phone get one, I don't think it's possible to regret it.

when I was starting to doubt my Nexus' life expectancy I was looking for a cheap backup and the Nokia 5 was exactly where I ended up lol
it's starting to sound like Nexus 5 users have been conditioned to go for the new Nokia phones
I'm afraid our desires are no longer under our control anons
RIP your nexus tho
I like how nobody went for the 5x (except a friend of mine who was also ex 5 users; broke within a year and now she's on a oneplus whatever)

yea that's roughly where it's at; I noticed if it has wifi it also helps a bit, but I've had a fat battery pack in my backpack for years now so it's not thaaat big of an issue, just a hinderance; mine also lasts a day if by that you mean ~10 hours...
the odd thing is that the poor thing slows down even more while charging, dunno why
it's good when it's cold because it gets nice and warm so I don't have to wear gloves

Attached: shucks.jpg (872x644, 75K)

Sorry anons here, I went out and just got back.

Our carrier is T-Mobile, but can also switch to AT&T if need be.

What's better for under 150 usd used?

Getting a job

>6" screen
>159x76mm

This thing is fucking massive. How is this supposed to fit anywhere, unless you're a girl with a purse, or unless you live somewhere like Norilsk and wear a coat 10 months of the year?

Attached: rex-murphy.jpg (477x604, 26K)

>giving up the neetbux life

Attached: 1315488058555.jpg (300x300, 11K)

Save little bit user above shilling for asus zenfone max pro and it's brand new not bootlooper lg g4/g5

I don't need an expensive phone. Would rather save that munny and be a neet.

MIUI 9 really isn't that bad. Just debloat and put on Nova Launcher and it's just like any other OEM Android. It's no worse than Touchjizz.

MIUI is basically just Android made to feel like iOS with really aggressive memory management. If you aren't totally opposed to everything iOS stands for then MIUI is a pretty decent copy.

If a man can wear shorts with his 12 inch piece, you can put a fucking phone in your pocket. Deal with it.

That's really cheap, but I think you can find some V20 at that price, or a s7 if you go a bit higher, but I've got no idea about the quality

MIUI before 9 was hell.
Largely I have no problems now, got rid of lineage too to test things out, and outside of the iphone-esque launcher, it's fine. Haven't even bothered with all those tweaks people used to do, shit just works now.

Moto E4 or E4 Plus

I'll tell you what it is. We are looking for phones that are just a bit bigger, but not too big. Phones that sound reliable. And finally, have a fockin audio jack.

Ya, I noticed that too! When you charge it, it becomes way slower. I sometimes unplug it to make it go faster when I am in the middle of something.

>tfw switching to normiephone S9 later today
I hate that the snapdragon version bootloader can't be unlocked. Oh well.

You know you could buy something like a Motorola G5 brand new for around $140 USD, right? I would spend my money on that sooner than an antiquated, bootlooping LG

But can you unlock the bootloader on these?

S9 is great. What is so normie about it?

Get a Redmi Note 4, it's $150 new

You can in the Nokia IIRC

Nokia shills pls leave

Attached: 1507654216675.png (557x535, 37K)

How's the camera on the Nokia 6 in comparison to the Redmi Note 5?
Do the dual cameras on the RN5 do anything useful or are they just there because Xiaomi thought they looked cool?

Attached: 621_duk.jpg (400x400, 113K)

if the phone is almost lost, search around for a guide and try to put lineage on it. The phone was going to the trash, might as well give it a try and check if you can get a few more months of use out of it with less bloated software running on it

What's the prettiest 2018 flagship, and why is it the blue S9?

Attached: s9 blue.jpg (1500x1000, 121K)

literally all samsungs are ugly af user, you have no sense of aesthetics

Show me your choice instead of only bashing mine, user.

Wrong

Attached: Huawei-P20-Pro-twilight.jpg (1080x608, 263K)

Best Design

Attached: htc-hd2.jpg (450x600, 54K)

how to make fake antenna lines?

Attached: samsung-galaxy-j5-2017-sm-j530-2.jpg (576x539, 26K)

desu I only really dislike that they're overly round and I also dislike the menu button
...and now I just noticed that the S9 doesn't have the button lol
anyway, anything that's rectangular, not overly shiny, and without a menu button is fine by me
so for example the sony zx1's are nice although the bezels are kinda thicc
pixel 2 also looks nice but fuck those prices

Vernee X1 or Xiaomi Redmi Note 5

I can fit my Nintendo Switch in my pants pocket and it's like twice the size of the phone. Unless you're a fag who wears skinny jeans, it's fine.

Vernee X1

I agree the Pixel 2 looks nice, though it's corners are pretty much as rounded as the S9's, though I guess it feels much more rectangular due to the S9 having the rounded screen edges.

Attached: samsung-galaxy-s9-vs-google-pixel-2-1.jpg (1600x1200, 197K)

Listen man, I don't judge, but if you carry a switch in your pants pocket, you might not be the right person to give fashion advice.

>I wear cargo pants and don't even go camping, respect me I'm an adult

>rounded screen edges
that probably explains it better than how I put it yea
rectangular screen>rectangular case>round case>round screen>matte back panel
there, life == fixed

Xiaomi

Do people really buy these chink phones in America? I've literally only seen Apple, Samsung, Pixel/Nexus and HTC. I've never seen a OnePlus, Asus, Sony, or Huawei phone.

I've seen a few people with Sony phones. OnePlus and Asus not so much, because generally if something is not being promoted by the carrier, then people will not buy it, because they want that subsidy. As for Huawei, the only people I have ever seen using those are Chinese international students who brought them over from China. Which is understandable since the Feds do everything in their power to keep Huawei out, so unless you REALLY wanted a P10/P20, then you're probably not going to have one. Same goes for ZTE, Xiaomi. I've seen maybe one Redmi and never seen anything made by ZTE.

>notch

Attached: file.png (599x358, 411K)

s7 edge or nokia 7 plus? same price both new.

>notch

You can turn it off in software.

Attached: nexus2cee_DSC09812.jpg (2000x1333, 825K)

LITERALLY THE KING BABEE

Attached: DSCF2919.jpg (1200x800, 54K)

Somehow this make it look ok.

It's still physically there. What baffles me is they had to put a bezel on the bottom side of the phone. What for? Why not move the bezel up top, be bezel less at the bottom and forego the notch completely?

>isnt amoled
>disgusting screen black shows through
BRAVO

P20 Pro is AMOLED

It's still a disgusting chink device that's destined to depreciate 50% its initial SRP within 6 months.

Wait 6 months and buy it at half price then

techrankup.com/upcoming-smartphones.php

Obsolete.

pls

Basically, for the Nokia you'll have
-Updates for at least 2 years
-Stock Android
-usb type C
-bigger screen

And for the S7
-better screen
-IP68
-SD card

The SD 820 is almost at the same level as the SD660 so you won't win that much
As for the camera I've got no idea

So it depends on what you're looking for

must be cheap amoled because that black is DISGUSTING

That's the regular P20 with a LCD display

W8

Enjoy the screen burn-in

Should i get LG V20 or Sony XZ Premium if i'm using my phone for music and ocasionally games?

does anyone know when the nokia 8 with 6gb ram becomes available globally?!