GPUs an shiet

lets's talk graphics cards and overclocking, gee
i have a 7950 and am considering upgrading now that crypto is dying
thing is, with what i've seen, afterburner doesnt allow you to manually set voltage/clocks on new cards, only offset
is there another way to do that?

also, why do gpu manufacturers make different chips instead of just, for example an rx480 with lower end cards having less power input so they cant clock as high
surely the amount money spent on r&d is greater than the 5 lost sales of the high end cards

Attached: pcbg.jpg (863x1390, 150K)

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/66ia8b/flashed_rx_480_nitro_to_rx_580_superposition/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>also, why do gpu manufacturers make different chips instead of just, for example an rx480 with lower end cards having less power input so they cant clock as high
they actually don't make different chips, for the reason you said, it makes no sense to make low end chips when it costs the same to make high end chips
>but then who was low end?
a low end chip is just high end chip which partially failed testing, see, high end chips are hard to make, so inevitably some of them are defective, the defective chips are tested with different things clocked down or disabled, then categorised into multiple lower end models
the process is called binning, cpus are like this as well
it's why overclocking is all over the place, how far you can go is a per-chip thing, not per-model

but a nvidia 1030 isnt a 1080ti with 5% power consumption, right?
why do they go all the way to lazer off shit instead of a bios that limits clocks or less power input pins
why not 1070-tier performance at 20W?

that would be pretty gay if they sold a product cheaper but locked down a part of its power on purpose just in software

as opposed to lasering shit off so noone can access it ever
i dont think the 2 high end sales lost by soldering an extra 8 pin power connector and flashing bios are that important

Attached: what a nice bathroom.jpg (500x573, 63K)

they don't physically remove defective parts, they disable it in firmware, as you just said
and they don't do entire series with the same chip, the 1030 and 1050/ti are on a difference process to the rest, being 14nm instead of 16nm for the rest
there are some cases where you can modify the firmware to make a lower end component appear as a higher end up (with mixed results)

why havent i seen many 1060 to 1080ti flashing tutorials?
hmmm
i'm pretty sure they're different dies/lasered
as for unlocking cores/shaders, i've only seen that on some old phenoms and hd6950, i think?
not counting vega since the software is fucked, you cant change hbm voltage as far as i know

>why havent i seen many 1060 to 1080ti flashing tutorials?
different bus width?
different TDP?
there's a reason it was designated as a 1060 in the first place?
even if the chip can be told to work as another, it doesn't mean the supporting circuitry is compatible with the change

>7950
>considering upgrading

Probably locked by amd catalyst? Before upgrade try to flash with 280x bios, is like free upgrade desu. But before doing it check the 280x bios first and set both clock memory etc speed and edit them like stock 7950.

>dude just reflash lmao
10 seconds on google tell me that
-drivers dont work
-theres no increase
the thing has the reference cooler and is loud as fuck at idle hitting 80c
i underclocked from 800@1093 to 600mhz@800mV and am almost happy with the fan noise
i don't know about any dead cards i could scrap for heatsinks and a better cooler is hella expensive so might as well buy a new card

"you see, they dont lazer the cores off, they disable them"
"why cant i just enable em back"
"well duh they're lazered off"

>"well duh they're lazered off"
that doesn't make sense, there's no reason to physically remove defective parts, plus, "defective" doesn't mean "unused", the part may well work fine at a lower clock frequency
plus, the physical modification would introduce additional cost and risk of additional defects, AND you still need to modify the firmware to ignore said parts of the die anyway

i was just summing up the conversation because the first posts were talking about how stuff's only disabled in firmware and then suddenly
>different bus width
>different tdp
which sounds kinda like it's a physically different thing

it's just wired up differently, keep in mind i'm talking only about the gpu die itself, not the whole graphics card, there is of course almost always differences in the cards between models, to support the different features of the gpu chip
like how a wider bus needs ram chips to be wired differently, or use different ram chips based on capable speed, the cooler needs to be big enough to support the chip's configured TDP, you need enough power input connectors and regulators to support the amount of power the chip needs, etc, etc
it's not as simple as just a firmware change most of the time, which is why you only see a few specific examples of firmware hacks

Every GPU/CPU goes though binning

You can look that up

GPU partners pay a premium for the top binned chips, like ASUS and Sapphire. This silicone supposedly will handle extreme overclocking and commands a premium.

Lower grades go to lower bidders, they should still hit factory clocks but more than likely wont handle much overclocking due to natural defects in production. They may even catch fire if you are Gigabyte and forget to cool them.

You can flash bios some GPUs to high end models on the same chip, however due to the silicone lottery and binning, this runs the risk of damaging the GPU.

Basically check your shit before fucking it up.

>they don't physically remove defective parts, they disable it in firmware
They also laser cut them so you can't enable them with firmware hacks/mods.

>1060 6gb
>die size 200mm^2

>1070
>die size 314mm^2
why doesnt nvidia for example just take garbage 1080 chips, sets the clock to 1000mhz and sell it as a 1060
it's making me fucking angry they make a whole new die and clock it to the max instead of just using worse bigger dies at low clocks because power draw scales exponentially while clock speed scales linearly with voltage

how do you disable something that's lasered off already?

>tfw instead of pushing humanity forward at maximum speed in science we are left with slowed down development where manufactures insetad of speeding shit up slow it down on purpose to milk more money from you
sad

The rx480 can be flashed to a rx580. I'm sure there are other recent ones though

reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/66ia8b/flashed_rx_480_nitro_to_rx_580_superposition/
literally better off overclocking than reflashing

you're missing the point
if they made only high end components, they would be instead throwing away lots of almost-perfect chips
and plenty of people don't need the absolute highest end stuff
it's win-win, producers can use more of their stock, reducing the overhead of production, and consumers have more price points to work with when deciding on what to get

the other solution, what you seem to think is happening, is to deliberately make less complex things, that have high enough yields to justify throwing away any that don't quite make it
then you're left with slower-moving technology, and less options for consumers

Yeah some people seem to think they are being jewed out of higher end products (which they are in some cases) but its mostly due to yields. That's why amd is killing Intel on prices points.

zen-like glued dies on gpus when
vega 64 tier performance at 300 burgers when