Kills Xubuntu

>kills Xubuntu
>kills Lubuntu
>kills Gnome3
>becomes the most recommended distro in Linux history overnight!

There is no stopping the Ubuntu MATE train!

Are you ready to install the last distro you will ever need to install on April 26th, 2018?

Attached: Wheel_tag_coloured.png (380x360, 10K)

Other urls found in this thread:

extremetech.com/computing/267741-microsoft-announces-a-linux-operating-system-for-the-first-time-ever
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Give me 8 reasons to install it.

Em... No, I'm fine with OpenSUSE.

>>becomes the most recommended distro in Linux history overnight!
[citation needed]

What's so special about MATE anyways? For all I care it's just an easier to rice XFCE.

It's a fork of Gnome from when it was great. For a lot of people it feels just natural to "keep" using MATE.

Mate is a nice DE. In order of preference I pick i3, openbox+tint2, Mate.

Runs on my G5 iMac. I've got no complaints.

I've seen more xubuntu and solus shilling here

Ubuntu is shit-tier. Use Debian or Arch.

do you have something to back up that claim

Attached: index.jpg (259x194, 8K)

>arch

Attached: IMG_3157.jpg (162x162, 10K)

>2 bars

ubuntu mate was my first distro before i started distro hopping. never ever touched mate again.

>Ubuntu Mate
>Mate
TRIGGERED

Didn't you make this thread a few hours ago?

Ubuntu Budgie is better.

Kubuntu is a thing

2018. And?

It's the Homosexual Complex.
If he doesn't announce it to everyone every few hours, he will go into withdrawal and want to kill himself. Self-centrism manifested and projected through superficial concepts or mediums is the mental illness plaguing such people.

Suse was relevant more than 10 years ago.

>Ubuntu mate is a distro

It's Ubuntu with a different DE. Not a distro.

>Used by air traffic controllers and datacenters
>irrelevant

OP eternally BTFO

Windows 10 does not have this problem

This

>Are you ready to install the last distro you will ever need to install
I already run Void, thanks.

You make it sound like all the air traffic controllers and datacenters in this world run on Suse. Which is not true, of course. Some o them maybe do it, but probably as many, if not more, run on Windows.
This is why your argument is irrelevant, same as Suse in the year 2018.

>I already run pony linux
wew

extremetech.com/computing/267741-microsoft-announces-a-linux-operating-system-for-the-first-time-ever
Not yet.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Attached: 1518298411384.png (450x522, 414K)

KDE Neon is a thing

Is it pronounced may-t, or mah-tay?

Attached: 1380465545886.jpg (300x302, 22K)

This. If I HAD to use a DE, it would be MATE. But I'm an Openbox/Tint2/DIYshit guy.

may-t

anyone who says mah-tay is downright retarded

and yet its still worse than mint XFCE for most of the devices (unless you are using high DPI screen then mate is much better choice)

máté

windows 10 kudasai
ubuntu is shit tier
in fact anything other than windows and even os/x or android is shit tier.

If it isn't professionally supported whats the point? Linux is something that people have a phase of using, and convincing themselves it's not a timesink.

They make excuses like "botnet, bill gates is illuminati, osx is for faggots, muh gaymez"

but the fact is, there comes a time when you realise you're just wasting your time, and that you can do everything on windows better than you can on linux.

>need to pirate a special version of windows that not even microsoft wants to sell in order to not get cortana

correct. but americucks will never learn

no mate, i downloaded win pro from microsoft, paid for a key, and boom - there it is, cost less than £5

Enjoy wasting your time whilst feeling self-important. Enjoy not bathing.

>datacenters
>Windows
Funny boy, but whatever you believe.

no one cares about anything and windows is garbage

Mutiny is beautiful, honestly

I still got candycrushed on my lenovo
memepad with a pro licence and even worse you're only allowed to stop updates for 40 days.

Why would you stop updates?

I'm on my x220, and I love Windows, updates happen overnight usually when I'm in bed asleep so I never suffer what complainers seem to.

I love windows, and I used Linux for 12 years, believed all the propaganda, but when it came down to it, performance was wayyyyyyy better, and i have as much control over my pc as I actually care to have.

>I love windows

Attached: brainlet jellyfish.png (800x800, 84K)

>Kills Xubuntu

Nooe Xubuntu is still the best *buntu, as well as the best Linux distro.

I prefer elementary OS and Pantheon, but MATE works really good in older machines.

Break away from the botnet, use MATE in Debian. Best of both worlds

The new user experience. I've personally only tested it for fun, but the instructions are extremely useful.

Attached: familiar.png (1280x720, 208K)

>debian
Nothing personel kid

Attached: wifi-1290667_960_720-copy-57efedff5f9b586c359e5548.jpg (768x554, 18K)

Why does it kills xfce?
Also i preferences i3/wayland

>Why would you stop updates?
Because I own the computer

>Why does it kills xfce?

because xfeces is a dead project while MATE is actively developed.

I use standard Ubuntu. Fight me.

what did he mean by this

So why is it called Ubuntu-mate and not Mubuntu?

I'm on 16.04, shud I upgrade to the next LTS?

You can get rid of one bar though. Or both.

Your move.

Attached: 1497734803764.png (1200x675, 459K)

You've ruined my life.

We had an Ubuntu MATE thread some time ago.

Is this the new Solus?

>So why is it called Ubuntu-mate and not Mubuntu?

Because Mubuntu makes the niggerish word more obvious and it sounds stupid.

You can change it to like 8 different layouts.

Nope. I saw it being used in POS terminal, on gas stations.
>air traffic controllers
Really? I thought all aviation uses proprietary stuff...
>if not more, run on Windows.
POSes - yes, it is kinda rare to find one with GNU/Linux, usually it is Windows XP, or Windows Embedded (XP). Data centers - RHEL and SLES are kinda most used ones, not Windows.

>So why is it called Ubuntu-mate and not Mubuntu?
It already exists and is the OS of choice for glow-in-the-dark CIA niggers.

It doesn't sound stupid it sounds great you fag

I've been running it for a while, user. Mostly because the version of MATE in 16.04 was buggy.

It sounds stupid and niggerish and you know it.

It has a Google search bar in the start menu you can't turn off.

Hey that's my birthday

>not Matebuntu

do you recommend MATE on fedora?

then you should install MATE

on every distro, really

Xfce isn't dead, it's mature

Windows XP is also mature...

Face it. Xfce isn't going anywhere. MATE is the future.

Well, as someone who dual boots Ubuntu and Windows 10, I can say:

Windows 10 is absolute garbage.

It has really stupid issues with updates, and if you try to use both an HDD and SSD you're in for trouble. Cumulative updates are going to fuck your ass.

Yes, windows 10 is good for ENTERTAINMENT. Nothing else, unless you work with entertainment (developing games, editing movies or making songs) or with Adobe products. There is no reason other than that for using Windows if not being too lazy to learn how to Linux or too poor for Apple computers.

That is to say, if you work with media, using Windows makes sense, but Mac is a better choice. If you work with data, Linux is superior. Apple is the best of both worlds, but the benefits are not par with the costs.

Using windows 10 feels like using a framework for an OS.

>Windows 10 is absolute garbage.
>
>It has really stupid issues with updates

This. I fucking hate it. My fan is always running when I turn on my desktop because it is using so much CPU just to look for updates, and sometimes I can't even install a cumulative update even after restarting like 4 times and then I have to look for a solution and other people have the same problem (happened with the April update)

I switched to Ubuntu MATE 18.04 beta 2 and updating is always fast and happens with no issue. No huge CPU usage when checking for updates, either.

would I be able to upgrade form beta 2 to 18.04 final?

yes, it updates bit by bit automatically every day until it becomes the final version on Friday. otherwise I wouldn't install it.

You don't need to do a manual update until you get to 20.04 in a couple years.

what about older, slower systems
still lighter than LUbantu?

honestly, they have improved the update system.
i have to give MS credit, they have.
But your comment I would have totally agreed with 5 months ago.

this, every time I start to distrohop I always land on xubuntu because it's light and hassle free. Mate is heavier than xfce so there's no reason to use ubuntu mate over xubuntu.

>what about older, slower systems

It will run fine. I have it running on a 10 year old Dell that I use for banking and storing passwords.

>honestly, they have improved the update system.
>But your comment I would have totally agreed with 5 months ago.

Tell that to the April cumulative update I couldn't install until I looked on the microsoft forums. Lots of people had this issue.

>Is it pronounced may-t, or mah-tay?
Mate is mostly a Brazilian plant. Being one I can assure you ghat is ma-tê, just like namas-tê

then maybe my own fortune changed.
had tons of update probs (clean installs 3x's !)
wrote serious, berating, detailed, solid, angry emails to MS.
Things turned around for me, no updates go smooth as long as _I remove external drives beforehand_ .
Now they warn, before (5 months ago) they didn't

>me, no updates

*Now updates*

prolly subconcious slip

Pajeet detected.

it's still shit, user.

Ubuntu has never had issues with updates. I don't get why Microsoft can't even update their shit smoothly.

b/c pajeet is underqualifies

no, but I can see why u said.
some of their forum answers are like horrid comedy.

>honestly, they have improved the update system.

you are so full of shit

Attached: finalform.png (743x719, 581K)

>(You)
thanks I'll try
Got an old Dell Laptop that's ripe for a new OS

>Got an old Dell Laptop that's ripe for a new OS

How old? Old as my 10 year Dell laptop?

I also had the same idea and its working great. I do all my sensitive stuff there.

guess I can only speak for myself then.
Mine have been going great.
But just FYI,
remove all external drives.
I found _hugely_ that more than one drive going during update spells disaster.
Just sayin'

XP, 2.0 GHz
Inspiron 6000 (?)

Just don't know what to do with it.
Want to experiement w linux flavor
was thinking LUbantu

>tfw want to go full linux
>but no ableton and no appropriate drivers for my MIDI controller

literally the only thing stopping me at this point. I can live without games, but i can't live without my music.

i somewhat use Ableton.
basically phasing out my hardsynths
(got like 5, mostly Korg)
Still use them to leisure play,
but softsynths are so much more handy, funner to tweak.
Ableton rocks.