What is this part of the mobo?

The heat sinks around the CPU socket are for the VRMs. What is the lower heat sink for?

Chipset? Southbridge? Do they call it something else now?

Attached: what are you.jpg (1280x960, 427K)

south bridge(no, this is not a sandy bridge successor)

Yes, that's the chipset heatsink, not that it really does anything since the chipset never heats up all that much.
People stopped calling it a southbridge soon after the northbridge was integrated into the CPU itself, since there's just one chip now it doesn't make sense to call it that.

South bridge, in simple words, AMD Chipset.

>never heats up much
it gets pretty toasty on my prime b350 plus with a 1600, even at idle
like, seriously-hurts-if-touched-for-more-than-a-second hot, so more than 70c imo
mob

Yep, OP here. Regardless of whether the system is being stress tested or just sitting idle, that chip gets up to like 60-65C on my MSI B350M Gaming PRO.

That's why I was curious what it is. I guess that still doesn't answer why the hell it gets so hot regardless of what the system is doing, though.

dare i say it, ryzen housefire DOA?

Oddly enough the VRMs only barely get warmer than the chipset on my Ryzen board. Maybe 5 or 7C warmer.

But that did get me curious, how hot do Intel boards get? Pic related. I hope this is a measurement error because it seems like a bad idea for anything to be idling at near-boiling temperatures.

Attached: hmmm.jpg (1018x521, 147K)

my old c2q mobo, dunno the name was also pretty hot
it even had some fins instead of just a flat plate

Ambient temperature here is 35-40°C.
It hits 50°C tops.

Are you using anything that might use your chipset PCIe lanes?

Where the fuck do you live? Inside a volcano?

it heats up on almost all motherboards.
Your hdd, usbs and many other peripherals are connected there, so even if the system is idling, the chipset never rests. Even when the cpu is nearly at 0% usage, the peripherals are communicating with the cpu and making many dma requests.
A few chipsets that i checked on either platforms have clocks up to 2GHz and voltage up to 1.375Volts. There's a great chance the chipsets to be on older nodes than the cpu, e.g. 32nm to save money and plus there's no need for such a peripheral to have the bleeding edge expensive node.

just an excuse to have an LED on the board
chipsets have such low power consumption they could lay bare and not overheat nowadays

it's her vagina.
d-dont look under the heatsink. iii-i-iIt's dirty.

Attached: blushing.gif (500x250, 161K)

I thought the chipset lanes were set aside for storage (NVMe SSDs) only? I just have a SATA SSD and then the video card.

Sonora desert.

Mostly yes, but they can also be used in other stuff.
Still you are not using them.

Forgot to mention, Haswell Z97 in ASUS Z97-A USB 3.1.

Motherfucker I live in the Sonora desert and it only gets to like 26-28C in my room. And that's with very minimal air conditioning and terrible sun exposure on this side of the house.

Y'all niggas need mini split AC systems.

I was retarded enough to forget to include a window in my studio room.
Living in the South of Sonora.

And im waiting for May to start turning my A/C on.

stay cool bros. just curious do you AZ fags keep an emergency water supply on hand?

Always 2-3 5 gallon water jugs.
And small water tank when the dam is having troubles.

Why do these niggers put anything more than a basic mono in, stereo out audio controller on the board?
The integrated stuff on the board should be just the bare necessities, if I want something nicer, that's what the PCIe slots are for.

The rear I/O ports should be nothing more than the following.
x4 USB ports, with decent spacing, of whatever the current generation is, with a dedicated controller for each port.
x1 3.5mm Audio in.
x1 3.5mm Audio out.
x1 DB9 Serial.
x1 RJ45 LAN, of whatever the current generation is.
x1 DisplayPort
x1 Thunderbolt, if CPU and chipset support it.
x2 PS/2 Ports.

And anyone building soldered on wireless into a board ought to be fed to a pack of pitt bulls.

You forgot TOSLINK and DVI

And hdmi?

>TOSLINK
If you want that, put in a dedicated controller.

>DVI
That is functionally superseded by DisplayPort.

DP supports downconversion to HDMI with just a cable.

DisplayPort is a piece of shit.
DVI just works, allows VGA signals, can be used with HDMI with a just cheap passive adapter.

Only if it's dual mode

And HDMI is more popular than DP, like you said, only fundamental stuff.
If you want DP buy a GPU.

Some chipset, so called 'south bridge' that does USB and sheit.
Back in the day we had a 'north bridge' that had memory controller and sheit.

DVI is the most popular for monitors

The marketing badge that covers the "Southbridge" chipset.

>shiet
new Jow Forums please go away

>What is the lower heat sink for?
""aesthetics""

Look, we can argue about video ports for eternity, the key is that it be one of the modern standards that will be found on the vast majority of currently available displays.
So HDMI or DP, I'm partial to DP, but HDMI would fit the bill just as well.

Em... no, fuk u nigga

>HDMI or DP
What? Every fucking monitor has at least DVI but not necessarily DP or HDMI.

>Every fucking monitor has at least DVI but not necessarily DP or HDMI.

Sure, if you're buying professional grade monitors.
But a lot of trash tier monitors have only VGA and HDMI.

The cheapest skylake-x board had such a shitty heat-sink it lowered performance, can't remember the name of the board tho.

But I only buy cheap shit monitors.
They're more likely to have DVI than HDMI.

heres a you and a question.
HOW FUCKING GAY ARE YOU? KEK JESUS I CRINGED SO HARD I THINK I SPRAINED MY BACK.

Attached: 1390376095893.jpg (235x215, 5K)

> What is this part of the mobo?
That's an Ancient of Mu Mu

That's where the secret chip that's running even while your computer is off and sends all your data to the NSA is

why are you touching yor motherboard while it's on