LxQt, Our Lord and Saviour

Why the heck does no-one here tell me about LxQt, a.k.a the best lite desktop environment for Linux?

>Uses ~250MiB RAM on cold boot
>Doesn't use the steaming pile of garbage that is the """GNOME""" toolkit.
>Extremely fast
>Actually has thumbnail file picker by default unlike KDE (which requires fixes, at least for debian)
>Isn't a foot
>Looks pretty decent

Long time XFCE user here and I've seen the light, use this thread to discuss the best lightweight DE in existence.

Attached: neofetch-2018-04-23-10-46-52-14607.png (1280x800, 628K)

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#F!1ocUGLYJ!NSveNRPCKMMfbnAYxYxzPw
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

RAM is cheap. Aesthetics are not.

>>Actually has thumbnail file picker by default unlike KDE (which requires fixes, at least for debian)
What do you mean?
Using Plasma right now and the file picker has thumbnail by default. The problem is with Firefox, because Mozilla devs are retards.

But yeah, I would probably use LXQT on a lower end pc.

use light linux before also arch nice distros for low demands

Exactly that, maybe I should've specified, Firefox needs to be patched to use Kdialog by default, it still uses GTK's implementation, even with LxQt, the nice file picker was from a different program it seems. Let's not forget that this whole issue began with the fucking foot faggots chasing some """design vision""" and fucking everyone in the ass in the process, for this reason I hope GTK dies a horrible, fiery death.

LxQt runs like butter and makes me enjoy using this piece of shit laptop again.

Function > Form (on low end devices), let's be grateful we have this option.

Last time I checked it it was an unstable piece of shit.

Looks nice. I may actually try this one day. Thanks for pointing it out.

How long have you been using it and where's your battery icon

Arch is a fucking disaster, what's light about Arch other than lumping packages into one huge package to stroke your e-peen via screenfetch? Slackware does it better and doesn't rape your system every other week.
How so?
Anytime, people need to know there are other options than the ones parroted on Jow Forums all th etime.

Started using it today, no batter icon because the battery is dead so I just use it plugged in. (dell latitude e4300)

I'm waiting for Lubuntu 18.04 LTS, then I'm hopping on the LXQt train too.

It is still in heavy development. Besides that it's great.

Because KDE.

It's not ready yet but it will be great some day. Does LxQt have vsync to prevent tearing?

GNOME is way better

I prefer LXDE. It's a more configurable LXQT.

Good thread. I would contribute to this thread but I'm falling for the i3-gaps meme.

All of my THIS
You could use openbox + compton. xfwm4 is just

Attached: 2018-04-23-192356_1366x768_scrot.png (1366x768, 371K)

>>Uses ~250MiB RAM on cold boot
I have 128GB of ram, why the fuck would I care what is using it?

how stable is LxQt at the moment?

I'd say very stable. The only problems I had with it were display management, which I call feature incomplete, and GTK theming, which you can use lxappearance. I don't like how little Qt styles I can get but that's not an issue by LXQt, there's also qt5-gtk-platformtheme... Plus, I've used the version in the deb repos, so I my guess is it's even more stable with 0.12.

does it have good font rendering?

I'm running it on a VM. Like it so far. The stock little bird icon is pretty gay though.

Attached: 2018-02-12-135044_1240x609_scrot.png (1240x609, 151K)

Yes :- it's got better options than xfeces but you have to log out and log in for changes to be effective.
I'm happy to hear that, user. I hope you like it to keep it on the host.

why lxqt over mate?

mate is a lot more bloated than lxqt

>Uses ~250MiB RAM on cold boot
What a bloatware. I've managed 170 MiB with XFCE.
And 300 MiB with KDE-on-systemd

>dock and taskbar

Fucking why?

Attached: DarstgqUwAAXp5U.jpg (858x725, 30K)

>>Uses ~250MiB RAM on cold boot
holy shit that's a lot
>>Doesn't use the steaming pile of garbage that is the """GNOME""" toolkit.
gnome toolkit? never heard of it, did you mean gimp toolkit (gtk)?

gtk2 > everything else

How that amount with KDE? I only could achieve 400MB on vanilla Arch with the minimal plasma packages.

because linux nerds are so focused on proving that they have viable alternatives to everything that they never stop to think about the redundancies

im trying it, op. fedora spin release seems to be the best put together & most idiot proof

KDE plasma is just as light and offers a more whole desktop experience. LXQT tries to be KDE light but that isn't a problem anymore

LOL FUCK THIS PACKAGE MANAGER

They need to port to Wayland

Dump your artbook folder pls.

does pcmanfm-qt support dual pane yet?
if not, the whole DE can fuck off until it does

OP, please verify if the file manager has dual pane or not

Qt

can someone check if pcmanfm-qt (the default file manager in lxqt) has dual-pane mode?
Last I checked it did not, it probably still doesnt, but this is the only thing keeping me from switching

Will it crash less than Plasma?

Less than 100 MB ram on Awesomewm in cold boot. Beat that.

I have 360mb ram usage on startup with xfce and 400mb with lxqt, so lxqt goes to the trash yet again. Maybe in 2-3 years I might give it a go if they manage to improve it. El rato wins again.

Attached: Xfce_logo.svg.png (1024x1024, 263K)

awesomewm is bloated as fuck, gtf out of here
openbox will boot into 40MB, you dumb stupid bitch

Attached: 1514325878301.png (290x319, 22K)

> openbox

stacking wm = shit

i use ratpoison because it flows better with emacs but evilwm is the king of wms. i can guarantee i work faster in evilwm than you can in whatever tiling mess you use. if you're not using fullscreen-only than stacking has a huge advantage over tiling. if you're using i3 you're a crackhead. it's just a stacking wm with productivity killing restraints. the workaround for the tiling cripple is smaller fonts that read slower and cause eye strain. there's no winning for tiling wms.

Does it work with Chaturbate?

You are too low IQ to use a tiling WM.

tiling wm's are a waste of time and ricers are plebs, true experts use ubuntu with default everything

>awesome
>someone actually managed to make a tiling WM 4 times as bloated as an everage stacker

>true experts use ubuntu with default everything
no, true experts use Debian with default LXDE

Attached: asc.png (1366x768, 800K)

>t. Brainlet who can't install and mantain arch

I have used a simple XFCE desktop for years. I cannot imagine using anything else

that depends on your browser, not the de

file browser? like gentoo?

4.14 version will have opengl vsync so xfce will finally be screen tearing free out of the box

>qt
>lite
Why are so many people so ignorant?

Attached: 1516046613699.jpg (448x316, 73K)

at least its not gtk
the goal of lxqt, as far as i can tell, is to make the lightest qt based de. its a respectable goal.

>want to be light
>use BY FAR the most bloated kit
There's other options than gtk and qt, you know.

Not the smallest nor the fastest but the one with the best balance between sane developers and widespread support.

please recommend one

>the lightest qt based de
basically it's only competition is KDE, which is the heaviest DE (well, maybe gnome is now, they've certainly been trying)

so what youre saying is Im not wrong?

you're technically correct (the best kind of correct)

I want to install linux but also play my steam games on it and wine games too.
If i install openbox or Awesomewm will my games work? I heard that a lot of games depend on some shit like dependecies from qt/gtk. Is that true? Can i run gaming oriented linux and make it as light as possible?

yes, they'll all work

Does not it seems, F3 opens some command and it is not listed under view. Sorry.

Thank you much for checking

I tried KDE and was surprised at how smooth it was, you could definitely tell it was slightly heavier than XFCE but it ran really well. Unfortunately, every time I open the laptop from suspend/screensaver thing the screen would tear depending on my cursor position, I couldn't see a thing, everything was like horizontal lines as if my screen was having a seizure, so I dropped it. When I get a decent setup I will definitely have KDE near the top of my list.
GNOME is the only DE that I tried that made me consider suicide, I can get past it being clunky as I have a very low end machine, but what I can't get past is hiding every single useful option behind *conf-editor, want single-click on Files? Use the editor, want Files to sort Directories before files, use the editor, get's me mad still, fuck that piece of shit.
Like I said, this is important for low hardware, you can use 3 GNOME instances with that and it would still be fine.
You can change it, edit the panel widget and it has an option for changing the icon.
Ubuntu MATE hung up my PC on certain operations like file transfer so badly that I had to restart, couldn't open a new tty, nothing worked it was completely frozen. Which is too bad because I liked it.
Don't like how LxQT handles open programs, and as you can see I've removed the taskbar widget so only plank shows programs (No 2 clock syndorm here bucko). Also, until Plank shows wifi/battery etc. it is a necessary evil.
Yeah you opened your 8bit l33t WM into Arch and got 50MiB less, good for you, doesn't change the fact that it runs a fairly complete DE on practically no RAM you disingenuous fuck. And you and I both know why I said """GNOME""", I know it's technically gimp but gnome runs the show right now.
I will but the folders are full of screenshots for ez access and posting so there's no books there.
Seems like that so far.
Comparing WM to DE's

Please be trolling, this has to be bait, it's getting me mad.
That was me as well lads, but lxqt is noticeably faster so I can't use XFCE, might be my machine, who kbows.
>Is the quickest/lightest of all the other DE's I've tried (KDE, GNOME, MATE, XFCE)
>not light
Just because you object to QT for whatever reason doesn't mean the DE is not light.
I found GNOME to be substantially the heaviest, KDE was surprisingly quick, that tells you everything you need to know about footfags development capabilities.
Uploading rn, will post when it's dfone.

Nice to see it gone that far, I remember being quite hopeful when it was announced.
I'm using cinnamon atm, but I'll give it a try in a vm.

> RAM is cheap
If you aren’t using a maxes-out toaster.

Macfag/weeaboo/gamerfag, you've hit the holy Jow Forums trinity!

Here's the link mega.nz/#F!1ocUGLYJ!NSveNRPCKMMfbnAYxYxzPw
I'm actually none of those things you tard, the icon theme looks good and the artbooks are there because they are good examples of concept design, I do not intend to draw anime but there are useful resources there pertaining to simplifying the human face. I haven't played a video game since Dota2 a couple of years ago.

> Auxiliadora
A bênção, mamãe.

Attached: neofetch-2018-04-24-04-24-24-32408.png (1366x768, 250K)

>KDE, which is the heaviest DE
Not true at all.

KDE has something called full scenegraph acceleration (which I confess I don't fully understand except that the desktop is fully accelerated using the GPU somehow), does lxQT have this?

this
KDE is one of the lightest DEs these days

It's made by the same people who made LXDE, they decided to switch to Qt since GTK 3 is somehow more bloated and less functional than Qt

>taskbar and dock
Why?

LxQT
250MB RAM

hahahahahahahahahah
what a fucking waste of time..!
LXDE ftw

It still uses LESS ram than an html5 capable browser.

I dont care, 250MB just too boot to desktop is still terrible and anyone that thinks otherwise should be punched in the dick.
Next step is LXJava to further increase memory usage

memory is cheap right so it is a good idea for sure..!

L used to stand for lightweight not for large
I propose to rename it to FXQT ( F for fat )

>lxqt is pretty much a "just works" DE, it just needs more devs to make it better

Lubuntu 18.04 consumes 400MiB right after boot for me.

You are doing something wrong..
My system with Lubuntu 16.04 and LXDE has 280MB with a LOT of things going on including all the systemd crap services / pulseaudio/ smb/ webservers etc

Attached: 2018-04-25-003944_1920x1080_scrot.png (817x528, 40K)

I was really surprised because my Xubuntu uses 290MiB.