I have a friend who is going to buy a laptop for 4,000$ with a core I9 and a 1080 and a 1444hz display...

I have a friend who is going to buy a laptop for 4,000$ with a core I9 and a 1080 and a 1444hz display. Can you help me convince her that this is a shit idea? Ive tried everything and she just wont change her mind. pic not related

Attached: laptop.png (400x300, 27K)

it's a good idea tho

1444hz display for 4000? Nigga that's a steal

First we need some information's
You don't need to answer all questions if you care about privacy:
>age of her ?
>gamer ?
>where is the laptop gonna be used ?
>>i.e. only home, university, work, bed, lan partys ?
>how important is battery life ?
>who pays for the laptop ?
>how is her relation to money ?

>four fucking grand
At that point why not just go full retard and max out a Dell Precision 7720 for just over 7.5 grand?

Just fuck my shit up

Attached: 1c02a6c4-93ae-48d5-81fc-ea0b0c9f7757.png (1643x3204, 464K)

Im actually thinking about buying a MSI GT73 with an i7 7700HQ, GTX1080 and 120Hz display for 1700€. Am I making a mistake?

>quad core
>seven thousand dollors

what the heck

The Lenovo P71 has better storage options, it seems

Attached: 88cb6de2-0c4f-4d02-8aa5-1d714ffeba02.png (1903x2391, 518K)

Xeon
ECC Memory
Quadro GPU

The human eye can't see past 1440Hz, the extra four are totally useless marketing

HP's site is shit, so i can't get a proper screenshot of the build summary.

Windows 10 Pro 64 - HP recommends Windows 10 Pro.
ZBook 17 G4 with Intel® Xeon® E3-1535M v6 processor (3.10 GHz, up to 4.20 GHz with Turbo Boost, 8 MB Cache, 4 core) + Intel® HD Graphics P630 (Y3J82AV)
ENERGY STAR Qualified Configuration
Intel® vPro™ Technology Enabled
Integrated HD 720p DualAryMic Webcam
17.3" diagonal LED FHD UWVA Anti-Glare flat enabled for Webcam (1920x1080)
NVIDIA® Graphics Quadro® P5000 with 16 GB dedicated GDDR5 video memory
64 GB (4x16 GB) DDR4 2400 ECC
1 TB 7200 rpm SATA-3 Hard Drive
1 TB 7200 rpm SATA-3 2nd Hard Drive
1 TB Z Turbo Drive G2 MLC SSD
1 TB Z Turbo Drive G2 MLC 2nd SSD
Dual Point Backlit spill-resistant
Intel® 8265 ac 2x2 +Bluetooth 4.2
HP lt4120 LTE HSPA+ EVDO Gobi 4G Foxconn
ATT
Fingerprint Reader
200 Watt Smart PFC Slim AC Adapter
C13 1.8m Power Cord
Country Localization US
6-Cell (96 WHr) Long Life Battery
3/3/3 Warranty
Intel Xeon Label
Elite Services Information Card

$6389.90

She obv has a reason, is she an architect? What’s it for?

If she can afford it without getting into debt or other financial trouble who cares?

I personally think that's a fine idea.

>What's a computer?

>her
Tell her to buy the higher-end model for 6K and then proceed to laugh at the dumb toastie roastie. Don't offer people help if they don't want it.

this why give a fuck is some retard is insisting on being retarded?

>Xeon
Only quad core though, wtf? I thought the point of Xeon was getting lots of cores. Maybe here it's just basically an i7 with ECC RAM support.
>Quadro
Are you trying to game, or run CAD programs? If you're gaming you'd do far better with a normal gaming laptop. Quadro is worse at gaming than high end Geforce cards. It exists for CAD, and if you're doing complex designs you really need one.

The Xeon, ECC, and the Quadro are mostly for video editing

If she truly needs the portability for whatever reason I see nothing wrong with it. Also, it's her money OP, just let her do whatever.

Are you a professional video producer with actual income from your videos? Yes? Then go for it.

Do you have an employer who is going to buy this for you to edit videos for them on? Yes? Go for it.

No? Then you're wasting your money. Get a normal laptop. You do NOT need a Quadro for video editing, and while ECC may prevent a very rare transient flaw, it really isn't worth the extra money unless you're going pro with this.

Tell her it will be loud, hot, and heavy.

Tell her to get a surface book 2 they are 25% off right now at office Max/Depot

Other uses for such a monster are running multiple VMs simultaneously, GPU computing, you know, all the standard workstation kind of fun

15 inch , 8th gen i7, 512 gb, 16gb ram, 4k touch screen with stylus, Nvidia 1060.. 2300$

For the same money you could have a desktop with more cores, multiple 1080tis, and more RAM; and a small light laptop to remote into it with.

>her
She'll stay retarded.

They're good except you can't upgrade a damn thing in them, and if anything goes wrong, too bad because you can't open without destroying.

It's her (or her daddy's) money, let her be retarded with it.

High-tier and mid-tier pc parts get obsolete at about the same time, at least that as been the case for the past 25 years.

So don't expect to buy a 4000 laptop today, so you wont have to replace it in 6 years instead of 3. The only people that should buy 4000 bucks laptops, are the people who want and can spend another 4000 in 2-3 years to get a new one. And if that's the case of your friend that's fine.

However, if she saved all for 4 years, and is thinking about buying her dream laptop so she won't have to change it ever, then she will be disappointed in 2 years when her shiny machine get's old.

>her
Dont bother. Get better friends, hanging around brainlets will lower your IQ

>woman
>having good ideas
pick one, and only one

>>Jow Forums
fucking scum

Attached: cuckbsd.png (271x300, 32K)

>everything I dont like is Jow Forums
Nothing in my post remotely resembles Jow Forums.
Get a fucking grip, holy shit.

Attached: ifunny.jpeg.png (625x626, 181K)

>Xeon
Meme
>ECC
Meme
>Quadro
Meme

Even cucktips made a video showing how useless xeons are

ikr

Attached: pol_pol_pol.png (617x1025, 756K)

is she rich?

get in the oven.

>her
what's in it for you, retard?

wtf, i love nu-g

Attached: 29776782.png (200x200, 14K)

I could live for a year in my shithole country with $4000, rent and all.

2 years here

The $400-900 xeons are just i7s with more cache (sometimes), ECC support, and better binning for lower power usage. They're meant for 24/7/365 server workloads where ECC is critical, tasks are cache heavy, and conserving a couple dozen watts saves you a few hundred dollars over the lifetime of the chip.

>Let her do it
>whenever she complains about the weight or the battery life or how she could have bought a car very passive aggressively smile at her

1700 for a 1080 laptop is not a horrible price

Surely that thing must have like 5 minutes of battery life?

>she

No, they get about 2 to 3 hours.
I own an older Precision laptop, an M6800 with a 4810MQ and a K5100M to be exact, and with the Quadro set as the primary only GPU, I get about 3 hours on the internal battery, with the screen brightness turned all the way down.

With the battery slice that attaches to the dock port, that adds about another 2 hours or so.

If you turn on the Optimus clownshow, it'll substantially increase battery life, but I have never been able to make it behave right with regards to color quality, so I just disable it in the UEFI and run on the Quadro alone.

I actualyl fucking bought the laptop in pic related and after a month of using it I plugged it in really fast and it short circuited and never booted ever again.

>I plugged it in really fast and it short circuited
wtf do you mean you "plugged it in really fast?"

i mean to say that i unplugged and plugged very quickly

If she needs to move it around a lot and has the money to burn then why not?

I love how retards measure how good a CPU is by the number of coars it has

Its gonna go obsolete in a few years

Just cuz ur poor doesn’t mean ur friend has to build a pc. Kys laptops are for people who actually move unlike you who only gets up for food and going to your bed. Fucking weeb kissless virgin. Let people be happy and your friend probably got a social life unlike you

>ITT op gets his shit fucked
>pic unrelated

Attached: 522C96C1-E50A-4C6D-B594-58D9544C2D33.png (2000x625, 102K)

It's not your money, not your problem. Let it go and worry about your own hardware.