What does Jow Forums use as a laptop?

I have always a custom desktop, until now. I need to buy a laptop, I have no idea where to start, and the laptop market seems like an indecipherable shitshow.

I want a laptop to run Arch Linux on (Moving up from Ubuntu). I don't care how thin it is, I don't care about the screen size, I don't care about graphics. I just want a small SSD, no HDD, good CPU, 8GB RAM, and a crisp, small display. I just want a quick peppyboy.

It seems like laptop manufacturers push thinness, graphics, and screen size really hard. Why do these things matter? Is thinness just a gimmick? I think having a sturdy, stout laptop sounds optimal. Am I missing something? Is there a way to streamline laptop shopping beyond the filters on Newegg?

Attached: 470679-asus-vivobook-s510.jpg (810x456, 46K)

Other urls found in this thread:

slimbook.es/en/kde-slimbook-2-ultrabook-laptop
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>what do you use as a laptop
old c2d laptop I bought for 80 bucks four years ago

T420

This is just going to be a thread full of people telling you to get an old thinkpad.

>thinness
A thin laptop is a light laptop. Both these qualities make it fit more easily into a normal bag with other items rather than a separate laptop case.
>graphics
A good screen is helpful if you want to watch videos or play low end games. A decent integrated GPU is nice if you want to play semi modern games on low to medium settings. Discrete GPU for obvious purposes in a gaming laptop but those are less thin and light.
>screen size
Bigger screen, better for watching movies, and more space to work in, but less portable. 13-15" seems to be the most popular. Smaller and most will be looking for a tablet instead; bigger and it kinda defeats the portability aspect.

Get a chromebook

Latitude 7480.
I use a laptop daily for school and work. So, I wanted... good build quality, fhd, docking, and at least 6 hrs of battery, lightweight is nice, girls not giving it weird looks. those factors led me to get a refurbed 7480. will upgrade to a 7490 in a few months prob.

xps 13

t440s with a new internal 3 cell, and new external 6 cell. 8hrs on full brightness w/ wifi and BT on. shits dope

when are the raven ridge thinkpads coming out?

Thinkpad X220/X230 with Intel SSD.

Lenovo Y700

6700HQ, 960m 4gb, 8bg ram, 1tb HD, 256gb M.2, 1080p IPS screen.

Bought it without the SSD from a buddy for $600. The SSD was $100. Damn thing is great. He suckered himself upgrading to an MBP but all he knew was the dogshit 5400RPM laptop drive so I lucked out, I guess. It wouldn't have been as good a deal without an M.2 slot for me. Opening your laptop and it be instantly usable is the best feeling.

>It seems like laptop manufacturers push thinness, graphics, and screen size really hard. Why do these things matter?
Thinness in and of itself isn't a plus, but it's a byproduct of/means to the end of a lighter machine, which is something most people value in a portable. As for graphics and screen size, these are useful for the things many (most?) people actually do with laptops; screen real estate and the graphical grunt to run it matter.
>Is thinness just a gimmick? I think having a sturdy, stout laptop sounds optimal.
Personally, I've found "stout and sturdy" to have no particular advantage over thin and light when it comes to a laptop's survivability, all it does is make it more inconvenient to move around. Just don't go throwing it across the room and it'll be fine.

Why is it you want a small display? Is a larger display simply unnecessary therefore you want small, or is there a specific reason you need it to be small?

Anyway, personally I use a MacBook Air. Easily portable, does everything I really need on the go.

this, super portable and I have 8 hours + battery life, and it supports linux well.

There’s MBP and there’s shit.

Thinkpads > Macbooks.

acer helios 300 got for a very impressive deal. the 7700hq makes the laptop feel hot at times.

At least shit doesn't hit 100C and drop to 800 MHz when asked to do anything.

I have $2500 Canadian sheckles, what's the best laptop to buy for that? I'm not looking for a gaymer laptop but something with some power behind it would be nice.

Attached: a1a4383476c1125adbbae6e280ded659d853298b.jpg (940x540, 58K)

X220 for a time, now xps13

Chink-top with a Spanish finish.

slimbook.es/en/kde-slimbook-2-ultrabook-laptop

Buy 25 thinkpad's

Thinness is important if you actually move your laptop around and don't use it as a desktop replacement. I travel often and work remotely while tethered to my phone so the laptop being thin (and light) is important. And sturdy it is, being full body aluminum. Survived a 1m drop with just a small dent on the side.
t. Zenbook owner

As of last weekend, a Thinkpad T440p. Performance is great (single core-wise the i7-4600M in mine still outperforms the entry-level current-gen X1 Carbon), though the stock touchpad is rather bad and battery life could be better, though I have the lower-capacity battery.
I forsee myself using this machine for quite some time once I upgrade to a 1080p screen and a better battery, it's definitely /comfy/ for sure. Super cheap, too.

Haha, that's what I thought

thinking of getting the 7490 - $400 cheaper than the t480 and on paper has everything i need. do you have any complaints so far about the 7480?

Stinkpad T410. It’s not terrible but the only good thing worth mentioning is that it has lasted longer than any other laptop I’ve owned.

Attached: image.jpg (1976x1202, 1.39M)

I currently use the Alienware 17 R3 but not as an actual laptop. When I go back to college in the fall I won't want to lug this bad boy around.

I will either get a Macbook Pro if they're nice when they come out or I will get a Dell XPS

Currently a Surface book 2, pretty good all arounder.