Found >pic related

Found >pic related
Dell inspiron 4000 +charger in a dumpster, the case seems pretty nice(besides the left monitor pin is broken)
booted up, winxp
everything seems fine, runs smoothly(for a 17 years old laptop)
battery lasted ~1,5-2 hours in quarantine

atleast that good old Pentium III is pre-botnet

What should I do with it? (besides throwing it back in the trash)

Attached: dell4000.jpg (470x316, 15K)

Install Linux on it.
Use it as a side computer for shady shit since you have pre-botnet CPU.
Like deep web if you are into that BS.
Get a lightweight distro since it's that old. There are distros more lightweight than XP, like Arch.

Go Garret Claridge on it.

Attached: itsachainsaw!!!.png (847x474, 646K)

unironically install gentoo

Whoops, disregard the name. Used it in a thread yesterday where I counted to 10 in the most inefficient way possible, and forgot to change it.

>muh namefag

Attached: 1493691206893.jpg (2832x2550, 514K)

Don't listen to the freetards OP. Install Windows 7 or tiny7 if the hard drive is really small. Use it for file serving via USB drive or shitposting from the couch.

unfortunately is has only 1 USB1.1 port
I was thinking about void

>What should I do with it? (besides throwing it back in the trash)
recycle it appropriately, usually places like goodwill or your local transfer station will accept electronic waste.

Looki' that black guy right there

Attached: lookidatblackguyrightthere.png (471x418, 355K)

>your local transfer station will accept electronic waste
You ought to consider sending your posts there, instead of here.

Attached: IMG_xwyu6x.jpg (1024x600, 93K)

Install X/Lubuntu on it and fall in love.

hi there.

Attached: pcmcia_usb_2.0.jpg (1000x1000, 113K)

makes an excellent heater/toaster

Give it back, Jamal.

Install mint and use it as a plex server / NAS.

I have a 2012 Dell Inspiron 14 and it works amazingly for this, even on 2gb RAM.

Install and era appropriate OS onto it, clean it up and restore it a bit. These things are becoming harder to find now, cherish your old computers.

Attached: 20170911_163831.jpg (4160x2340, 3.26M)

I'm more curious how You found a Laptop inside a dumpster. Were You dumpster diving or just throwing trash?

That's not a Pentium 4.

but why

Nothing worse than having main PC go down because of something stupid and your other web browser to find the answer is a phone.

so you'll use a 2005 laptop instead of having a backup cheapo laptop

Why buy a cheapo if I already have a 2005 laptop that can do everything a cheapo can? Not seeing your logic here.

whatever floats your boat my dude i don't have a 2005 laptop anymore but i know they're pretty useless at this point; i guess it depends on what you want to do with it

Says the phoneposter.

throw the service tag into the dell support site
get the full list of specifications and figure out what operating system it shipped with
reinstall whatever operating system it shipped with and a contemporary stack
challenge yourself and make it useful in 2018, which is a surprisingly easy thing to do depending on your use case
you can install the latest trendy GNU/Linux distro on any $5 SBC or C2D thrift store rescue that will blow that thing the fuck out in every objective metric, it's simply more boring that way, and unless you really want a secure poorfag server nothing GNU/Linux can do over a contemporary stack is going to run well on a PIII with probably 128-256 MB of slow-ass SDRAM anyway
with a contemporary stack you get shitloads of abandonware, a more unique look and feel and something new to mess with rather than a shittier, slower version of your main desktop/laptop that does everything faster and better

but do whatever you want, it's not our shit, you just asked us what to do with it and we'll tell you exactly what we'd do with it

Believe it or not but such a system still makes sense to not toss if not required. It is a solid web browser, great word processor, ghetto level print server, a game machine because of all free abandonware of classic games. The inspiron p3 laptops had great battery life and usually 2 battery bays, 1 you could hot swap with a CD-RW drive. Which I bet there is a dvd version out there. Or a extra hard drive bay. Slower speed that today's sata but lots more space options.

>putting your obsolete electronics with battery to the dumpster
Why people this stupid

i have a thinkpad G40 from 2003 thats still capable of browsing the web just fine, i keep it around because i like it, but there was a time when i lost my job where i had to sell my modern PC so all i had was the G40

and worst case scenario, say the G40 dies, my new PC gets stolen or some shit, my phone is gimped by apple so much its useless, etc
i would still have my (pic related) 1997 380ED to use as a word processor, DOOM machine, and potentially a shitposting station with a lot of effort

Attached: VRFhMN4.jpg (3264x2448, 470K)

>a lot of effort
you could be shitposting from it right now as long as it's running at least Windows 95, latest browsers available for it handle Jow Forums just fine

t. frequent shitposter from 1996+ hardware

it was on the top of a garbage bag next to the trashcan

which linux destro is considered as " era appropriate OS"

Well, I want to make a new case for it, I have already made some sketches for a new case with added in fan

I keep an Inspiron 8200 around because it's amazing.

It's got serial, parallel, USB and VGA and ethernet ports, a DVD burner, a 1400x1050 display, WLAN and a floppy drive in the same packet.

It can connect anything old to my network.

Attached: curve tracer11.jpg (2048x1365, 899K)

Return it.

it takes way longer to find answer on a pentium III than it takes using a cellphone, even with the shit touch keyboard

is that slot on the left side fucking melted?

I think its tape

still more than appel

whatever you do, run a tor node
don't give up on your chance to counter cia niggers, one more node out of their hands is a step towards freedom for us

why would you install windows for shitposting and files ... that's two of the things linux does best

>yfw mobile P4's were based on the same Netburst technology that powered the P3 mobile

throw it back in the dumpster

Then hope the bed bugs didn't get in your house

hi is this the thread where you insult my shopping choices?

thoughts on the x1 carbon 5th gen?

>

Good laptop. Get 6th gen X1C for the quad core.

Paint it blue and try skipping it across a lake.