Gtx 770m 95c+

For fun, I decided to purchase an older Alienware m15x (I had it as a little kid) and upgrade all the parts in it so I could play the older games at higher settings. Everything worked great, i7-920xm, 16gb, 750gb hdd, but the 770m I through in it.
The 770m works, but on every game I throw at it, but fucking Minecraft, it just shoots up to 95c/96c even though it's at the title screen, it never goes over 96c. I've tried various cooling pads/ paste and have the fans going on full blast.

Any idea to why this is? the card itself doesn't seem that hot to the touch. Faulty sensors?

Thanks for any input.

>inb4 shit laptop
yes, it's a shit laptop, it was shit then and shit now. that's why it's a hobby.

Attached: $_86.jpg (625x416, 32K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Qsj_ZytFGQA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

replace the thermal paste and clean out the fans/heasinks.
or go nuts with liquid metal

Attached: 16140806995l.jpg (650x371, 20K)

I have not tried liquid mettle but I've tried everything else.

The way you write makes you come off as a retard.

maybe thermal tubes are dead

thermal tubes may be dead

>Any idea to why this is? the card itself doesn't seem that hot to the touch. Faulty sensors?

Is that card from another Alienware? I know it's not the original one, it's too recent for that cpu. Laptop mxm gpu's tend to be a lot more finnicky than desktop ones, usually the vBios is only meant to be recognized by a specific set of laptops. I remember when I had my old Clevo P150EM (i7-3610qm, 670m) I could use cards from MSI laptops, but had to flash a Clevo vBios beforehand.

Never going over 96c is probably due to throttling if I had to guess.. but I am aware gaymen laptops get ungodly hot regardless under load

>Any idea to why this is? the card itself doesn't seem that hot to the touch. Faulty sensors?

Is that card from another Alienware? I know it's not the original one, it's too recent for that cpu. Laptop mxm gpu's tend to be a lot more finnicky than desktop ones, usually the vBios is only meant to be recognized by a specific set of laptops. I remember when I had my old Clevo P150EM (i7-3610qm, 670m) I could use cards from MSI laptops, but had to flash a Clevo vBios beforehand.

yes, it's from another Alienware. it even reads as a 'dell' through speccy.
I tested 2 more games, CS;SOURCE and Castle Crashers and it stayed under 70c.

I also tested Race the Sun and it blew up to 95c. this one is odd because the game graphically looks ps1.

>4 fucking posts
GOOKMOOOOOOOOOOT

Could be giving you a metric fuckton of FPS but taxing the gpu to 100%. What is the idle temp? I remember my 670m would idle at 35-40c (gpu fan turned on at 40c), with pic related (at the right) cooling it.

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 87K)

it idles around 38c-42c, and goes a few above that when doing normal tasks, YouTube, etc.

That's what I'd expect from a 770m, I'll assume the sensors are fine.
Did you get the card WITH an heatsink also? That's something I remember also having to pay attention. The contact areas might not be the same as in the original gpu (which from what I've read is a 260m), and might not be doing proper contact.

It came just with the card and the mounting system. The m15x already had its own heatsink.

For whatever reason, the m15x had a little cult following for a while and people even put the 980m it.

youtube.com/watch?v=Qsj_ZytFGQA

you had a m15x as a kid... wtf

OP check these out, the liquid in the heatpipes don't stay there forever, especially relevant since you got this secondhand and don't know what the notebook has been through.

I am new to this subject. Do you mean reapplying paste between the copper heatsink tubes and the heatsink itself?

thanks for the input, user.

back in freshman year of high school, yeah. I had to mow a lot of lawns lol. I ended up selling for what I have now because it aged too much.

The heatsink isn't a solid rod of copper, it's a hollow tube with closed ends. Inside is a liquid the boils at a specific temperature to draw heat away from one end of the heatsink (the chip side) to the other end (the fins and the fan).
Buy a new heatsink and see if that works.

is there a way to replace that in the current one I have now?

Attached: IMG_20180311_233107_588.jpg (1280x1012, 83K)

what this guy said.
or in simpler terms - circly things no worki

Attached: 20180424_231555.jpg (1280x720, 231K)

processor does not support virtualization.

huh?

what is your minecraft fps?

The liquid? That'd be a hack job and you'd be better off getting a new one. But you'd open up one end, put in your liquid, ans solder it closed. You probably can't use water since it boils at the shutdown temp. Let us know how it goes; you'd be a pioneer.

not sure, I'll grab fraps and test it.
I don't really play Minecraft but I'm going to give this computer to my 5th grade little bro for his bday later this year. He loves MC.

I'll probably just grab a new one. they are less than $10 on eBay.

This whole situation makes no sense. At the title screen of Race the Sun it hits 95c, nothing is even happening. Just tested overwatch, it also does 93c-95c in that too.

More games are downloading now...

When you get the new one, bend the old one (or cut it open to try refilling it'll) and you'll see how thin the walls are. Very little copper to do the heat moving, you really need that liquid.

I'll probably do an update post if it happens again.

ordered 2 of these bad bois. let's see where it gets me.

thank you everyone for your input. I am glad that now I won't have to scratch the project because of this potential new solution.
if anyone has anymore input, id love to hear it, otherwise just let the thread 404.

Attached: 1523969134082.gif (346x367, 427K)

just wanna say thanks for being a nice /v/irgin and helping us help you
rock on anonymous

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1920x1080, 87K)

770 was a great fucking card.

Attached: 1524243278587.jpg (473x587, 57K)

HD7970 kicked its ass tho
also oc'd like a beast

Attached: 1524361979304.png (548x534, 466K)

It's a sealed metal tube not plastic.

What why 2?

770 M. Literally a 670mx with higher clocks.
A really fucking beast at the time though was the 7970m. I still regret not getting it instead of the 670m I chose. It was double the performance for only 100€ more. I know a few of them fried after 2-3 years, but I know my way around laptops well enough that I could keep it with good cooling.

>gaming laptop
>gaming
>laptop
Anyone with half a brain knows that the two terms do not go together, and anyone buying those are just falling for really good marketing,aka they're fucking retarded

Alienware huh
Is a good laptop for hacking or they still have heat problems?

I'm thinking to change my macbook