/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previous thread: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

XTERM(1) editio

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Your friendly search engine, mailing lists...
>b-but what search engines respect my privacy and freedom of speech?
Try qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage.
>b-but what e-mail providers respect my privacy and freedom of speech?
Try disroot, autistici or aktivix

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Attached: 2018-04-24-151620_1366x768_scrot.png (1366x768, 54K)

Other urls found in this thread:

tldp.org/LDP/intro-linux/html/
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
myactivity.google.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=_36yNWw_07g
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Why the FUCK is there not a link to tldp.org in the OP?

What's tldp.org?

>want to learn more at my local community college
>offers 10 courses on windows/microshit
>not one course on unix/linux
What gives? Is microsoft paying them to only teach their os?

Attached: boku no jeb.png (1200x955, 1.26M)

tldp.org/LDP/intro-linux/html/

Tldp a shit.
>linux cli
>upercase variables
>ni quotes
>backticks
>etc.
In the 90s this webside may be cool, but today it isn't . Go to mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide

what is the linux equvilent of "programs and features" on windows?

Unix was a system in the 70s.
Linux is a kernel.
Learn the GNU commandline.

Attached: 1524308142433.jpg (600x475, 42K)

Not sure this is the best thread for it, but I'm running Manjaro. Used the Architect build to have a somewhat more "pure" (or whatever0 experience building an Arch-based distro. However, I can't run some programs and games under WINE because WINE is trying to run with OpenGL 3.0, when my card supports 4.5. (R9 390)
What can I do to fix this? DOOM 2016 is an example game.

I tried virtualizing windows in Ubuntu using qemu+kvm, and ran it in virtual machine manager. The thing is, it was so god damn slow that it was borderline unusable. Anyone have a link to a solid tutorial, because I must have done something wrong

Get a pdf for comptia classes then learn and take the test at approved comptia testing facilities

How do I use a different file picker for Firefox? I don't like how I have to click an image to see an actual preview.

Is there any benefit in using gdebi over dpkg?

What's a good distro to start off with? I've been wanting to do a dual boot my rig for awhile. now.

I'm also interested.

Mint, Ubuntu, Debian. Sorted from total pleb to computer user.

Are there any tricks to fixing wifi? I got a card that I thought was broadcom but is actually some realtek piece of shit, and everything I find is just the same problem I have without a solution (abysmally shit speeds, 5mbits tops)

You can give you wifi module specific flags, find yiur eufi module and do some research.

wifi*
Fat fingers today.

dual boot is shit, just use windows version of unetbootin to burn either a buntu or mint to flash drive with the persistence option, and just boot from the drive when you want to use linux.

Got anything more specific than "Google wifi linux settings"? Because I've already done a whole shitload of that

so what aur helper we all using now?

yoart, same as always

yo i want my terminal to boot up on startup, do apt-get update and apt-get upgrade, ask me for permission to upgrade (by entering y), and then run neofetch

how do

pacaur

youart introduces bugs and crashes that are only specific to youart.It has been this way since its introduction

Last I checked the Arch wiki adviced against using yaourt because it's no longer maintained.

Attached: 1461406152110.jpg (225x225, 9K)

pacaur is the unmaintained one.

Some user here programs in their distro? I'm already on Void and I love it but I probably will be programming soon (C to be specific) and I would like to hear suggestions.

PS: If it is relevant, I'm used to Vi/Vim.

terminal should let you set a startup command, and when you do that via some script then just add it to your startup.

thanks i'll have a look

Use searx instead of google.

Go fuck yourself

wait how do I make the script

use tmux and split panes between vim and the shell for using gcc or make, that's what I usually do

>for using gcc or make,
I didn't know I could go full programming in gcc. Truth is I never researched into programming under linux.

What's the worst that could happen if I uses Windows 7 bootloader and do not use GRUB? What are the pros/cons here?

I was assuming you were just getting into learning C, gcc alone is great there if you're compiling little things. If you're making bigger programs you'll need to use makefiles

Its not maintained but it is feature complete.
The only time that it may become buggy is with the release of pacman 5.1 which is still a ways out.
Hopfully other helpers get their shit together by then

Put those commands in .bashrc (or profile for just when you log in) . Not sure if that's a great idea since updating will take a few annoying seconds every time you open a terminal. Probably better to spawn a new terminal window where it can take as long as it wants and exit when done.

>I was assuming you were just getting into learning C
You're not wrong either. I have a project in mind that also will help me learning C. But I thought I would need something better than Vim even from the start.

You wont boot linux

lmao i put neofetch into .bashrc just to test it but now a terminal just opens and closes.

I removed neofetch and it still just crashes

mpc with auto completion is so comfy especially when you know exactly what album you feel like listening to. basically just keep ncmpcpp open for rice these days

Try a different terminal. Or check if your bashed has a syntax error or something.

>What gives? Is microsoft paying them to only teach their os?
Very often yes. Microsoft "donates" all the computers with windows to the uni.

why did dnf update replace the proprietary Nvidia driver with some piece of shit llvmpipe? how do i re-enable my nvidia driver? better yet, how do i make sure this shit doesn't happen in the first place?

Sounds like KVM isn't actually loaded and you were using raw QEMU.

Elementary! uwu~

something like this provided your terminal has the option to set the command.
#!/bin/sh
yourTerminalGoesHere --command='sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade && neofetch;bash'
then give it permission to execute, and then add it to startup

I have an unallocated hardrive but it's not showing on cfdisk when I'm trying to install Arch. Why?

Attached: Untitled.png (1245x321, 60K)

myactivity.google.com/

I have arch installed on a USB. How can I move it to a bigger USB?

would I need to reinstall to upgrade to KDE neon 18.04?

Believe in yourself.

Attached: Ian-McKellen.png (545x738, 389K)

unironically dd from one usb to another and reinstall grub, then resize the partition to fit the whole usb. someone tell him if this is retarded

what is dd?

I'm trying to set up a tigervnc server on a vps. It's a Fedora 27 minimal install in a Proxmox container, and I've already installed all the relevant packages. The vnc server starts up fine and I can log in, but I get a black screen. I can get gnome to start up with DISPLAY=:1 gnome-session but I've never had to do that with other installations. Does anyone have any insights? I already have gnome-session in my ~/.vnc/xstartup file.

why is zsh so cute bros

Cuz ur dumb.

its a program that reads input data from a location/device and writes it into output location/device. by copying /dev/sda (assuming this is the first usb stick) into /dev/sdb (assuming this is the new usb stick) you will end up with exact copy of the system on a new usb (it will be partitioned exactly the same so you will have to resize the partition to fit the bigger usb),
also you may need to chroot into the system copy and recreate fstab for the new disk, and maybe reinstall grub, im not sure. you can also try to use clonezilla.

What should I learn to become a linux pro?

Cool, thanks a lot.

Rude!!

GNU.

Attached: jWEJK8N-9mIxxm6aCFVWntRz5TrmPHziufXNWD7TIKc.jpg (888x768, 95K)

On your server just setup ssh.
On your client, use a client such as tightvnc to connect to the ssh server and setup the user gui

More info

Attached: image.jpg (4032x3024, 2.31M)

info coreutils
man hier

Learn shell scrpting.

There still has to be a vnc server running for tightvnc to connect, right? I can connect to the server fine, but gnome never loads.

how to install linux in android?

step 1:

done.

Android runs on Linux.

funny, now yell me how to install it

Close your eyes, imagine a place where you feel safe, repeat three times "there is no system but GNU and Linux is one of its kernels", open your eyes again and linux should be installed.

It already runs linux. Install termux or something like it to get to a terminal. I've seen people run desktop linux distros like debian on android phones. But I think that works through a virtual machine and not running natively.

Attached: 1524421310498.jpg (600x960, 184K)

>desktop linux

Attached: 76f40cd2246effecf86997caea8566f1b8efda26586ac96ec457aa923b1b252d.png (216x291, 76K)

Whats the most minimal way to rename all IMG—$SOMENUMBER.jpg to RMS_$SONENUMBER.jpg in the current directory? Least character soltution wins.

rename 's/IMG/RMS/' IMG*

Attached: 1524441868111.jpg (600x674, 168K)

Termux is seriously your best option. You get a full functional GNU environment without needing to root, which means it can coexist with your bank's app or shitty gacha games or whatever.

I forgot to add this only works on distros where rename is linked to perls rename (prename) like debian based distros. The vanilla rename program is utter shit.

for loop

Thanks

makepkg

guess i'll try again.

how do i enable Nvidia driver after it got disabled by an update?

Don't they're botnet.

extremely helpful, much appreciated.

one step closer to saying bye to linux and buying a fucking mac

Enjoy your botnet.

Easybcdedit

youtube.com/watch?v=_36yNWw_07g

I tried on another computer, and there was no problems. But on mine:
>Have SSD (2 partitions) and HDD1 (1 partition) for Windows
>Have HDD2 unallocated
>Boot Linux from disk and cfdisk
>2 partitions showing
>1 SSD partition (System Reserved) and the HDD_1 partition
>These partitions are displayed twice, can only select the last two

My next guess is that my optical drive is not reading well, so time for trying USB but my guess is that this won't work

Reminder that dualbooting is for pussies.
https:/hooktube.com/watch?v=q9mXyakv2i8

We love botnets here.

>called windows useds "users" by accident
bad day

Is there a photobooth alternative on linux? want something fun to do with gf.

Why dont you touch her boobs and tickle her belly?

No luck. Used unetbootin and /dev/disk/by-label/ARCH_201804 didn’t respond within 30 seconds. Is my unallocated hdd just screwed?

Ignoring that stallman us always right, I personally can confirm that going balls deep makes your life better: you learn faster, you don't pussy out, you go and learn how to fix problem a then problem b and when problem c appears it isn't even a problem anymore since you know your system already.

Went balks deep into debian, leaned gnu/linux in 3 weeks and now I'm busy writing scripts to automate my daily shit.

Now imagine you're a dual boot fag. I imagine the tine to learn the system yo the point you feel comfy is by 90002% compared to just sticking it right into the pussy.

/blog

>3 weeks
Yeah, no.

Attached: 1524091367438.jpg (400x597, 36K)

How to remove any gnu,u systemd and related jewish tricks from my Linux?