/spg/ - Smartphone General -

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>Reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Software Recommendations
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/List_of_recommended_Android_software

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Recommended Chinkphones
pastebin.com/eMtwGjJX

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone

Previous:

Attached: 2017-best-phones-1.jpg (616x347, 42K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gsmarena.com/xiaomi_mi_6x_photo_video_leak-news-30679.php
m.ebay.ca/itm/Nokia-Microsoft-Lumia-950-GSM-Unlocked-AT-T-6017A-32GB-Black-4G-LTE/322394234011?hash=item4b10319c9b:g:E3IAAOSw241YeXgh
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I have a rooted chinkphone with lineageos for the past couple of years and don't see the point of upgrading it really, smart phones are pretty pointless to me other than time wasting when I'm out of the house and can't use a laptop

>praising chinkshit relentlessly while shitting on apple and samsung
bravo

they really do deserve as much shit as they get if not more considering what a huge market share they have and how little they actually innovate or try to bring their consumers a higher quality product. They just comfortable with outdoing each other with as little effort as possible every year or so.

Asking again for more ideas:
Any phone recommendations with a budget of $100-150?

Only thing that matters is it doesn't lag when opening apps or having multiple apps open, and has 16GB or more of space. If below that, an SD reader would be nice.

Someone suggested E4 and E4 Plus but I'd like to see other options. Carrier is T-Mobile / /AT&T

I didn't really buy it when people were calling out the OP5 for copying the iPhone design because of the camera placement, but I'm starting to see it

Attached: OnePlus-6-to-Launch-as-Amazon-Exclusive-696x445.jpg (696x445, 18K)

>not the original poster.
>apple is trash, undoubtedly.
>but what makes Samsung into samshit? what's so bad about Samsung?
It's probably that they've been taking the "meme features" route instead of sticking to having practical ones. just my observation

>he doesn't use gappless lineageos/copperheados

Enjoy the botnet.

Reminder today is the unveiling of the MI A2.

I'm kinda confused, are Mi 6X and Mi A2 the same phones with different names for different regions?

only meme i see with the S9 or S8 is the curved screen, but its really the tiniest curve. doesn't get in the way like in the first iterations of it.
isn't there a more defining feature to justify all the hate?

I am seeing a LOT of notched phones on my bus ride to work these days

Thoughts on the Nokia 7 plus? I'm thinking of getting one, it'll be my first smartphone

Same phone. Should be fucking powerful as shit with a snapdragon 660.

>ESLspeak
not again

>2900 mAh

Into the trash it goes.

What Xiaomi did previously is release Mi 5X in China with MIUI, and then release an Android One version of it globally, which is the Mi A1. So if the same happens again you'll have Mi 6X in China with MIUI, and Mi A2 elsewhere with Android One, both with the same hardware.

That's from a rumor. It was leaked to have a 3,010 mAh.
gsmarena.com/xiaomi_mi_6x_photo_video_leak-news-30679.php

eh it's a phone thread count your blessings that it's not all corporate memes and gen-z twitter speak.

>implying phones aren't still botnet even like that

Attached: 1524270046081.jpg (1280x720, 95K)

Thanks anons. Looks like a sweet phone apart from the somewhat weak-ish battery, but I guess the 660 makes up for it with being very efficient. I feel bad for Nokia 7 plus, I mean it got shit on by Mi Note 3 anyway prior to its release but these new phones from ASUS and Xiaomi are just the final nail in the coffin.

Are there any livestreams for the Mi A2 reveal?

Now if xiaomi made a good phone with an OLED display then it would be a serious contender. That and android one.

I work for an intelligence agency and we're no longer allowed to bring Chinese branded mobile devices into the office. I've heard this is the same for corporate too. Anyone else have any experiences? Also begs the question how is a device designed, manufactured and assembled by Chinese any different to a device only assembled by them.

We're currently in something of slowly escalating trade war with china I would not be surprised if it was purely political.

>i work for an intelligence agency
>lemme post it on a mongolian forum
Off you are self.

Attached: 640bcc82be52e9d7cc3d46ef5671b498532375c1d8a1df12f7d6ac6149a4153b.jpg (248x204, 9K)

You appear to not have intelligence working for an intelligence agency. In short quality control is done by the non chink owned companies which have to meet US standards, we have been at war technologically with the chinks for some many years now, alphabet agencies don't have the backdoors to their phones and don't know what is in them and they are butthurt by that.

Don't China hide audio bugs in random electronics for corporate espionage?

I remember seeing something about someone finding an audio bug with attached sim card inside a powerline adapter from their office.

They do, they don't really need to anymore though, people love buying chinkshit and just handing over their data.

All this shilling against chinkshit is downright ridiculous.
Chinkshit is most likely botnet to the max, but no less than non-chinkshit (most of which is still ironically made in chinkland under chink factories anyway).
This autistic fear of Huawei and such is almost entirely political.
All phones are botnet, even with all FOSS. CPUs are backdoored and GPS tracking is real. Either accept this compromise or be coherent and don't use a cell phone at all.

go to bed xiaomi shill

the fbi and cia do this too but it's only ok when china does it

>whataboutism
classic tactic shill

Dumb normies would probably say "It's gonna explode!!!!" like what happened with the note 7, but other than that I'm not sure

I'm coming from a chink phone (Redmi Note 4G).
Looking to buy an S7 new from Amazon. Is it still worth it? Living in Canada btw

Get the new a series from samsung instead or wait a bit for the s8 to drop in price.

What the actual fuck? I just read that the iPhone 8 is more powerful than Android phones... When the fuck did Apple start putting actually worthwhile hardware into their handsets and how the fuck did they get superior hardware? I won't stand for this shit.

What's the average price for a brand new S8 now and are the ones on ebay legit? Seeing brand new ones for £400 odd but amazon has them for £500, and the guy who's selling them for £500 is getting awful reviews

they're like, 7 years ahead in R&D famalam

they started in early 2001

I finally unlocked the full auditory potential of my RMN3P by resoldering the headphone jack with proper solder (after said headphone jack started dying on me)

Holy shit the improvement is massive. For the record, I used Kester 275 lead-free (What I use at work).

I'm starting to understand why I'd not necessarily mind a phone without a built-in jack. Opening that thing multiple times to resolder shit is a pain.

What's the best phone under $300? Xiaomi Redmi Note 5? Or is there anything else good coming up?

essential android apps?

What does Jow Forums think about the new Moto Jow Forums6?

Attached: Capture.png (1148x584, 825K)

>he thinks he's escaping the botnet by not using google
If you have phone service, you're still in a botnet and can easily be tapped. Just embrace it and allow the convenience Google provides into your life.

Attached: 1511796701806.jpg (225x225, 8K)

leeco le pro/le max 2 or 3 or whatever

Tracfone in my area is offering unlimited talk + text and 1GB data for $15 a month.

Does it sound like a good deal to you guys?

I'm about to pull the trigger on this right here: m.ebay.ca/itm/Nokia-Microsoft-Lumia-950-GSM-Unlocked-AT-T-6017A-32GB-Black-4G-LTE/322394234011?hash=item4b10319c9b:g:E3IAAOSw241YeXgh

>2560 X 1440 OLED panel
>SD 808
>Good Camera
>Removable battery
>SD card slot
>Camera button and USB-c
>180 CAD

Is there anything else I need to know?

Attached: RE1EiG0.jpg (1040x585, 30K)

I wouldn't trust amazon for electronics unless it's amazon fulfilled. For ebay I'd say only the ones with the most stars are legit

K-9 Mail
NewPipe
Clover
Revolution IRC
Privacy Browser
OpenLauncher

All free as in freedom™ and on F-Droid.

Convinced girlfriend to finally put her aging iphone5 to rest
She has a budget of about $400-500 max
Camera quality is pretty important
So is the lack of bloated software

>closest thing to a Jow Forums pic I have on my emptied phone

Attached: cq5dam.web.768.768.jpg (720x768, 33K)

3gb of ram and windows sounds like a match made in hell but I have never seen much about it being particularly bad

Attached: the point leader.gif (320x223, 1.87M)

it doesn´t run android

never considered buying a Chinese phone before, or something so expensive from aliexpress, but the Mi Mix 2s is on sale, almost $800 Canadian dollars or $600USD

worth it?
do i need to worry about my data being sent to china?
or my package getting lost in the mail?
warranty on the phone?

it does look like a good phone tbqh

Attached: ds5jgX3e2jBvo6BSBg75J4-970-80.jpg (970x485, 28K)

When will I actually be able to get a Mi A2? Is it gonna be another flipkart exclusive pajeet phone? An SD660 at that pricepoint sounds really nice.

Don't do it, Windows phone is dead. The processor is pretty shitty, but the problem you'll have is not being able to run apps. Microsoft is giving up on Windows Phone so it's only going to get worse.

3GB is perfectly serviceable for Windows Phone, but it's a dead platform that won't allow you to make use of the hardware.

You've been having no problem havinng it sent to the NSA until now, I don't see what's different.

>expensive chinkphones
ahahahahahahaha

Windows Mobile is a pain in the ass. The platform died years ago, so don't expect any app you'd need, I'm pretty lucky to have a working banking app.
But beside windows mobile, it's a pretty good phone

since it's refurbished you may or may not run into problems with it, but otherwise looks fine

I don't give a fuck about it running Android, fuck Android.

Yikes

Like what apps? I primarily use my phone to browse Jow Forums, compose emails, and watch the occasional YouTube video. What does windows not have that I can't at least get a client for?

that might be true, but CN seems more intense about data collection
like there's that whole social scorecard system, they'll know i post on Jow Forums and give me a lower status (if i ever travel there)

it has good specs and reviews, are there comparable phones that you would recommend for the price?

180cad for a web browsing device is a bit much unfortunately, and yes you will get annoyed at having to browse the web for everything that isn't calls/texts

wording this

There is literally nothing wrong with a chinkphone so long as it has the ability to install another OS.

Prove me wrong.

Attached: 1522027027805.jpg (436x436, 39K)

>Browse Jow Forums
Might have a shitty app available with ads, or you can use the browser and have a buggy experience
>compose emails
fine if you're using outlook i guess, no gmail app
>youtube
There was a bootleg youtube app that was ok but you had to pay to unlock features. There's no official Youtube App.

If someone asks for your snapchat you can just act smug because it's simply not available.

The whole "social credit" system has been proposed, but not yet implemented, and it will only affect chink citizens.
I don't condone it, but the American media is painting chinkland as a much more monstrous place than it actually is.

Nothing worse than any other phone at least.
The CPU backdoor and the GSM antenna are still serving the botnet.
And even if you couldn't install another OS, the only thing that changes is who gets the information.

no noise cancellation
probably horrible support
cpu is not much over normal phones despite having 2gb more ram
it's chancy... i would if it was 400 usd but chink phones for 1/3rd under normal is not enough of a discount imo

>There is literally nothing wrong with a chinkphone.
ftfy

>expensive chinkphones
ahahahahahahahahaha

>pay $600 for a chinkphone
>have to wait 2 months just for it to get there
>chinks already announced a bunch of new phones during that time frame
>OH WOW THIS CHINKPHONE IS AMAZING, MINDBLOWING! GUISE I LOVE XIAOMI!
>3months later
>wifi problems, lacking bands when you want to move networks, poor network performance, pajeets run all custom roms, miui has way too many little annoying issues and they still push updates that drain battery like crazy, unlocking bootloader is still annoying cause chinks are data sluts, zero local support to fix any of your issues
ahahahahahahahahaha
nothing like $600 to take a gamble

I'd rather kill myself over use snapchat, thank God there's no app and now I have a fag-friendly excuse

I got a used OnePlus 3 and it's still working flawlessly sweetie.

>have to wait 2 months just for it to get there
do you live in Tristan da Cunha? I got my chinkphone in 2 weeks from China to Europe.
>wifi problems, lacking bands when you want to move networks
I am not retarded and can check what bands the phone have and what bands are in use in my country.
>pajeets run all custom roms
custom roms ISHYGDDT
>zero local support
what support do you need? I am not an itoddler than needs to go to the apple store to fix some bullshit every two days.

>Might have a shitty app available with ads, or you can use the browser and have a buggy experience
I'm on Wm, and for Jow Forums, there are 2 good apps but the captcha is fucked so no posting, and the webms are soundless.
The posting from edge is okay-ish, but it werks, the only issue is that the webms won't work embeded, they have to be opened with vlc
>fine if you're using outlook i guess, no gmail app
You can link your accounts to the outlook app, so any account is good. The app is pretty good, it's the one of the only ones still getting updates
>There was a bootleg youtube app that was ok but you had to pay to unlock features. There's no official Youtube App.
For youtube, you're right I've found a great free app (unless you want to cast) that supports background playing.
If you use Messenger, you can't call, and there are no bubbles like in Android.
I can't make the Facebook app to work because I only have 1 gb of RAM, but I've seen it on my friend's 950 and it seems good.

Xiaomi experts, should I get a Redmi Note 5 for $300 CAD or a Mi Note 2 for $350?

cautious
it has a lot to fill with being the successor of the g5s

OnePlus 5T
View 10
Nokia 8

Looks better than the iShit

U.S.
AT&T
Really all I want is a good camera, and a lot of space for music.
Budget is $500-$700
I currently have an Iphone5 and that's a little small so something larger than that, but not xbawks hueg.

Whatever happened to the days when we could give Apple flack over their iPhones being literal highway-robbery products with less than half of the processing power of Android phones that sell for half of their price? Fuck, this is the absolute worst timeline...

I've had my redmi note 4 for about half a year now, absolutely loving it. However I've noticed the appearance of many stuck pixels on the screen. Is there any way to remedy this?

S8

Broke my s8 screen on holiday. It's still usable but I need to get it replaced before it starts chipping away and I wouldn't trust it around water anymore. The part alone is ~140 GBP and to get it fixed professionally it will be like 200 GBP. Considering how difficult it will be to fix it by myself, I might as well pay a little extra for the labour to get it done right. You can't simply replace the glass, since the LED, digitizer and glass are one piece. I suppose it makes it difficult for non-OEM manufacturers to make fakes. Note to anyone with an S8/S9: Smashing your screen is an expensive mistake.

s9

Mix 2 is like 400 USD and the 2S isn't 50% better than it.

I'm sure you guys get this a lot, but why not?
In the market for new phone. I've tried Apple, Samsung, and HTC. I've like Samsung the most, but not enough to really stick with them.
How's the Pixel?
Or what?

Pixel is good but overpriced.
It all comes down to preference but you really can't beat today's offerings from Xiaomi/OnePlus/ASUS in terms of price/performance.
Don't believe memespouting faggots that just write them off as chinkshit and Chinese botnets.

>chinese botnets
I was planning on getting the OnePlus 6 when it came out, delicious 845 chipset, but since you say that I wonder if there's another phone I should be looking for instead.
I don't think I absolutely need something as powerful, and I'd much prefer a regular 16:9 resolution phone and good sized battery

>16:9
If you're looking for a 2018 phone you're outta luck, that aspect ratio is literally dead.
Last years flagships are very reasonably priced by now and a lot have 16:9 screens (HTC U11, Sony Xperia XZ1, Nokia 8).

The XZ1 looks really good. The XZ2 premium has a snapdragon 845, 16:9 QHD res, and 800mah larger battery so that's really tempting too

XZ2 is 18:9 afair.

Attached: firefox_2018-04-24_18-10-49.png (729x1146, 690K)

The premium, love

Attached: 2018-04-24_19-59-08.png (278x114, 3K)

Oh shit, my bad.

It looks so good though. A phone worthy of replacing my droid turbo.. that I can then sell for like $30 US at most because it has some scratches on the bezel and the screen was replaced.
And just as I think everything is going to be perfect... no headphone jack. Fuck

Should I get an Essential Phone when it gets discounted again? I'm on Verizon so my options are limited, I don't really mind the notch either. Is the camera and software better now than it was awhile back?

How good did I do /spg/? Was it a good purchase?

Attached: ggez.png (916x187, 36K)

Which YouTube app?

It's probably the best phone out right now. Screen looks kinda weird though. Rom support is top notch so it sort of balances out.