HDD starts to make loud whirring noises

>HDD starts to make loud whirring noises

Attached: 1497686153596.gif (500x411, 177K)

Silly Tomoko, this is why you have no friends. Popular people use RAID and keep offline backups, so a drive death, even a sudden one, is only an inconvenience, and they don't lose any data.

>plastic bits on the exterior start melting

Attached: download.jpg (300x168, 3K)

>hard drive makes clicking sound

Attached: 1323401244529.png (762x531, 288K)

>cmd open then close without reason on w7 even if windows update is disable

Attached: 1471538877575.jpg (473x511, 36K)

One of mine died like 4 minutes ago
A super thin seagate 500gb sshd that came in this PC
Thought "eh I'll stick my steam games on it"
Nah, click of death halfway through

Replaced with a new old stock 160gb WD Caviar from 2007

>cpu fan starts whirring to the max, unnamed process is using it 100%

Attached: Tomoko-Kuroki-watamote-38566594-500-300.jpg (500x300, 17K)

>hard drive makes vroom vroom noises

Attached: 1513965401102.png (1617x1152, 1.37M)

>SSD starts tip-tappin'

Attached: 1391216722368.gif (480x270, 2.81M)

>SSD starts to make loud whirring noises

Attached: 1499144517399.png (744x577, 868K)

>computer turns on at night and suddenly shuts down when i get up to power it off

Attached: download.jpg (290x174, 3K)

>shut computer down
>cooler still whirring
Actual real story that is really spooping me right now. I keep the fucker turned off with the switch in the power supply. Any tips?

remoov 10
'stall 'too

10 what senpaialam? Debian Buster hasn't been officially released as stable yet

some PSUs, mobos, and coolers have a feature like that where they run fans after shutdown. It's pointless and doesn't help anything, but some people think it does. Probably because of "turbo timers" in cars, which pump oil through a turbocharger after you turn the engine off. This actually does do something, it prevents the hot turbo from overheating and cooking the oil in it, which would happen if the oil stopped circulating. But various computer-parts makers add things like this as a feature from time to time because it sells, who cares if it works.

Why does this happen?

NO NO NOOOOO

Attached: 1449787506893.png (810x807, 87K)

>hard drive starts barking

>it's supposed to sound like that

Attached: 1406531136260.jpg (500x490, 48K)

In theory, it helps.

Imagine if you're stress testing your CPU and your house loses power,

So when your CPU cooler is ejecting thermal energy at maximum rate, the temperature of the CPU is high, maybe near the thermal limit.

When the power cuts out, the fan spin down fast, the CPU stops producing thermal energy, BUT there is thermal energy stored in the CPU material that is now not being ejected as fast.

So that thermal energy yet to be ejected causes the CPU to go over the thermal limit for a small time...

It's like letting a piece of meat "rest" after cooking. You take the meat out of the oven about 5 to 10 degrees before it reaches the desired temperature.

Then the hotter outer part of the meat still radiates thermal energy into the colder middle part of the meat... bringing the center to the desired temp.

This is why I wait a minute or two before turning off my CPU after a stress test.

... and as you pointed out, why there are turbo timers in some cars.

Thinking it doesn't apply to computer components is somewhat naive.

No, it's entirely different to a turbo timer. When the power goes off to the CPU, it's power output goes to zero. When that happens, the heatsink is going to be at a lower temperature than the CPU is - it has to be, since thermal junctions are not perfect and have some thermal resistance. So all that happens with a CPU "turbo timer" is that the CPU cools off more quickly, as the heatsink conducts away the stored heat from the CPU. The CPU can't get any hotter once the power goes off.

This isn't being naive, it's having a high-school understanding of physics.

Asker here

I don't do anything crazy with that fucker, just some programming, shitposting, and fileserving, and can't seem to find anywhere in the BIOS to disable that. Asus M5A97 R2.0 or something like that.

What should I name this anime reaction image folder? Despair?

please please space like a human being
your post is okay but look how ugly is looks
Jow Forums is an autistic board, stop making it worse for us

Attached: file.png (1058x344, 61K)

i named it fear
also
>2000 plus 18
>still not having all anime reactions imaginable sorted