/pcbg/ PC Building General

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and _monitor_ suggestions; click on the blue title to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>Learn how to build a PC (You can find a lot more detailed videos on channels like Bitwit)
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g
>How to install Win7 on Ryzen
pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1

If you want help:
>State the budget & CURRENCY for your build
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs:
>NO Core i7/5/3 7000 series. THEY ARE DEFUNCT AND SUPERSEDED BY COFFEE LAKE
>NO Ryzen 1000 series. THEY ARE DEFUNCT AND SUPERSEDED BY THE Ryzen 2000 SERIES
>R3 2200G - Bare minimum gaming WITH/WITHOUT a graphics card (Low end)
>R5 2600X - Great gaming or multithreaded use CPU (Mid range)
>R7 2700X - Best gaming CPU / VM Work / Streaming / Video editing (High end)
>TR 1950X/Used Xeon - VM Work / Streaming / Video editing (HEDT)

RAM:
>Current CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3000-3200 MHz is ideal
>Before buying RAM for Ryzen, check your Mobo's QVL or look for user reports

Graphics cards:
>Crypto-Currency miners have driven GPU prices up (particularly Radeon)
1080p
>MSRP of standard 1080p cards: 1050Ti, 140USD; 1060 3GB, $200; 1060 6GB, $230; RX 570 4GB, $170; RX 580 4GB, $200
>GTX 1070 if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
1440p
>GTX 1070/Ti and 1080 are standard choices; currently overpriced
>GTX 1080Ti if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
2160p (4K)
>GTX 1080Ti

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>A 240GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor

Previous:

Attached: 1471126733413.jpg (700x367, 47K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/rDXbhy
microcenter.com/product/5001827/AMD_Ryzen_5_2600_with_Wraith_Stealth_Cooler,_ASUS_ROG_STRIX_B350-F_Gaming_CPU-Motherboard_Bundle
microcenter.com/product/5001847/AMD_Ryzen_5_2600_with_Wraith_Stealth_Cooler,_ASUS_Prime_X470-Pro_CPU-Motherboard_Bundle
techradar.com/news/best-processors
pcpartpicker.com/list/Yz8JfH
au.pcpartpicker.com/list/jjtmgw
kogan.com/au/buy/kogan-24-led-144hz-gaming-freesync-monitor/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Hmmm

Attached: MemeTeam.png (889x822, 38K)

>NO Ryzen 1000 series. THEY ARE DEFUNCT AND SUPERSEDED BY THE Ryzen 2000 SERIES

Why

which is?

GTX 1030 for $90 or Zotac GTX 1050 low profile for $180?

GTX 1050

You'll want to upgrade soon either way

Yes but all i need is a dead GPU replacement for now while the GPU prices stop being double or triple than the actual MSRP.

>not confident in the 1060 6GB for 1080p because things like the witcher 3 don't easily score about 60 fps on benchmarks
>1080 is super powerful for 1080p, completely overkill
>1070 and 1070ti are priced like shit right now only being $100 less than the 1080

I'm confused at which GPU is okay Jow Forums I'm leaning towards the 1080 because I'd rather overshoot than undershoot.

>CPUs:
All you do is list the AMD lineup
No

Xeons are AMD?

1060 is great for 1080p. All you have to do is use High instead of Ultra, which doesn't even look noticeably better anyway

I mean I agree but will the same remain true for the next couple of years? I don't want to just go with the 1060 because that's the market right now and I should just settle with that. I think in regards to what I feel comfortable with performance wise I'd want a 1070ti at $450 but with it being closer to $600 I don't see why you wouldn't just go 60 higher and get the 1080.

Stupid question. You know what a token nigger is? "Used Xeon" is a token Intel CPU, used because some fanboy can't fathom recommending anything recent from Intel. You'd be the token shithead if there weren't so many of you here

You can always sell and upgrade when the next lineup comes out. Used cards don't really sell for much less, even with the advancements of new gens. Anyway I'd save up for an upgrade to a higher res / higher Hz monitor + the graphics card to run it as your next upgrade after the 1060

I want to record gameplay so I don't really see a point in going about 60Hz. If I went with a 1440p monitor I'd probably still run games at 1080p in windowed mode for recording and use the screen space for timers/info and stuff. If I'm going to be locked to 60fps for that I'm wondering if going for an IPS makes absolute sense. I'm sorry I'm a fag that wants to do let's plays but at least I consider myself higher on the foodchain than streamers.

should i buy an ssd?
whats the cheapest one out there

Attached: Ca0pture.png (392x310, 31K)

I'd recommend crucial for ssd and western digital for nvme m.2 ssd

>Cheapest one that wont die on you
ADATA SU800.
>The one you should buy
Samsung 860 EVO.
Avoid 128GB SSDs.

NVMe SSDs are not worth it.

Yes
Sort by price/GB (cheapest isn't best though)

anything cheaper?
willing to go chink if need be
budget is like $40 cad

You wont find anything that cheap, save and get one.
They are really worth it.

Lookin for help with a build mostly for running photoshop. Budget is 1000usd with peripherals but if need be might spend more.

is it really that worth it?
should i just get a fast HDD instead?
red pill me on why i should get an ssd

>R7 2700X - Best gaming CPU / VM Work / Streaming / Video editing (High end)
Come now, even though the 2700x is fantastic, the 8700k is still the superior gaymen CPU.

>I don't game much
>#420 RGB Gamer ELITE XXX merch everywhere

Attached: I_hate_this_person.png (1185x969, 125K)

7200RPM is already considered a fast HDD, there is a fuckhuge difference between 120MB/s and 300IOPS to 500MB/s and 80,000IOPS.

4-8 second boot times, programs open right away (Literally), etc.
You just need one for your OS, everything else is not exactly worth to have in a SSD outside maybe games with really slow load times (1 minute or more).

I'm trying to put together a new system for one of my nephews. I'm not fucking sure I fucking want to with these fucking RAM prices. Also, GPU prices. Picture fucking related, 32 GB in June 2017 cost me 2500 SEK (1 SEK = 0.12 USD). Right now all them 32 GB kits are around 4000 SEK. There is a pretty big difference between $300 and $480. I don't want to make my nephew a ram-let but god damn this is beyond stupid. He's currently on a A8-7600 APU with 32 GB DDR3 and a Radeon 7850 GPU, 128 GB SSD and 2 TB HDD. He likes to play some games like CS GO and stream to YouTube. I don't know why but kids today do that for some reason. Anyway, I think I'll have to make him the ram-let. This is just beyond stupid. Double RAM-let, the RX 580 4 GB is more expensive than the 8 GB variant used to be and the 1060's are all 3 GB. So I guess I'll have to make him a VRAMlet too. Perhaps I should just say screw him and his whoring mother and lazy good for nothing neet father and give him nothing.

Attached: thosefuckingramprices.jpg (2988x930, 364K)

What wifi should i get?

pcie or usb?

$1,100 to $1,300 USD
Primarily Games, but I'd like to edit videos as well
>For monitors
just using my 1920x1080 monitor in the meanwhile

Is this build fine or is the mobo a bad choice?

They're about 6 to 10% faster, so use them in a prebuilt unless if you're buying it used off eBay for $210, which is no biggie.

PCIe by a huge amount unless you have the modem next to you, in which case it wouldnt make sense when you could use a ethernet cable.

GTX 1060 6GB is only about $300 right now, if it doesn't have to be a low profile, and about $70 less for the 3GB version. The prices are going back down slowly because of the miners sucking BitMain's cock.

>red pill me on why i should get an ssd
A SSD makes a gigantic difference when starting programs and loading games, it's like night and day. You'd know this is you ever compared the same system with a SSD and a HDD. I've done many upgrades CPU-wise in my time and I still remember my first SSD as the single best upgrade and improvement I've done ever. Starting programs and things like that just feel a whole lot snappier.

You do not need a huge SSD. It's not for storage. There is zero reason to put music files or video files or things of that nature on a SSD. A 128 or 256 GB SSD is more than enough for your GNU/Linux or Wintendo installation. And the speed difference between SSDs doesn't really matter either. Any SSD will make your system feel vastly more responsive. HDDs have heads that move around causing seek time delays. SSDs don't.

Avoid Seagate HDDs.
Get a 860 EVO instead 850 EVO, its better and cheaper.
Maybe a 650W PSU.

Everything else looks good.

I mean, I suppose it's cheaper but the parts will be too.

I can totally recommend the ASUS PCE-AC55BT pci-e WIFI card. It uses 2x2 AC and it's totally great if you have a 2x2 or 3x3 AC WIFI router. This card has an external antenna (a bit of wire to an antenna that is placed elsewhere). Many pci-e wifi cards do not have that, they have fixed antennas directly at the back of the card. You absolutely do not want a pci-e card like that. No. Your computer case will block the signal and you will have a shit experience. A USB wifi adapter connected to a USB hub or extension cable is preferable. So it really depends on what pci-e card or USB WIFI dongle you go for. Also, most USB dongles are 1x1 which will give you lower speed compared to 2x2. But then again, many pci-e cards are also 1x1 and some don't even have AC. You do not want anything that does not have AC in this day and age. If it's limited to 2.4 GHz N then do not buy it; it's not worth it, it's trash. Good luck.

Is she trying to kill herself?

I've been so concerned with GPU prices I haven't been keeping track of CPUs at all.
Anything new on the horizon? I'm thinking of replacing my i7 4770k soon. Wouldn't want to spend too much though.
I have literally no brand loyalty at all and just want the most bang for my buck, I don't care what name is on it.

Attached: 1518129613674.jpg (450x550, 51K)

Is there anything that bottlenecks your I7-4770k? no? then why upgrade?
Save and get a GTX 1180 when it comes out instead.

I have a 3570k and I see no reason to upgrade anytime soon.

I'm mostly just trying to get up to speed. I'd probably wait a year minimum to upgrade but I like to know my options, especially if I stumble on a good sale or something.

>I'm mostly just trying to get up to speed.
Get a SSD then?

What? Not speed up, up to speed. I'm trying to learn what options are available, catch up on information, put knowledge in my brain. Get up to speed.

Attached: 1523331050308.jpg (700x700, 128K)

>I'm trying to learn what options are available, catch up on information, put knowledge in my brain. Get up to speed.
TLDR of the situation:
Nothing that is worth it till GPU prices drop and till GTX 1100 series come out, its hard to recommend something if you can wait.

lol you know he's trying to figure out CPUs not GPUs

I would get one of these
microcenter.com/product/5001827/AMD_Ryzen_5_2600_with_Wraith_Stealth_Cooler,_ASUS_ROG_STRIX_B350-F_Gaming_CPU-Motherboard_Bundle
microcenter.com/product/5001847/AMD_Ryzen_5_2600_with_Wraith_Stealth_Cooler,_ASUS_Prime_X470-Pro_CPU-Motherboard_Bundle
You could get a 620 EVO, Focus Plus Gold 650W or Supernova G3 650W, a Gigabyte GPU (cheaper and comes with a backplate) and I'd save up for a WD Black 2TB

Okay so should I come back in a few hours? Maybe tomorrow?

Attached: 1518244124134.jpg (400x323, 51K)

a better backplate*

Attached: msi-geforce-gtx-1060-gaming-x-6gb.jpg (1920x1160, 301K)

Yeah. Grab an 8700K if you don't mind the extra cost and possibly lower multi core speed if you value single core as much as I do.
Otherwise you can save a bit of cash getting a 2700X that doesn't require a cooler to get most of it's overclocking ability. Seeing as you already have a 4770K I jumped straight to the best of both companies, rather than the 2600X or 8600K though they are both pretty good too.

Should i worry about VRM cooling in a GT 1030?

>Building my first PC next month
>Get the parts list and send them to a local repair store
>Don't want to build it myself in case I fuck it up
>Guy totally misinterprets what I asked and sends me a part list and a price after he'd order it through his distributors
>"Buying online, especially from overseas isn't very good because you'll need to wait and warranty will be an issue..."
>Tell him no thanks because I'm saving almost $1000 by going through Amazon and other sites
>Tells me the price and mentions that it HAS to be a legit version of Windows 10 to install (fuck that, I'm buying a key online)
>Ask if I could watch him build it and he says no because there won't be room
>Mentions that he hopes nothing bad will happen by buying parts online because they'll be a "massive pain" to replace

Am I wrong for getting bad vibes from this guy?

>He wants to upgrade from a i7 7700k so soon for speed.
>????

Attached: 1508965717324.jpg (374x374, 41K)

Yes you're getting horrible vibes. Go build a computer with your dad.

He also said it'd take 3-4 hours to build.

At least you're there with him. You're his offspring so if he's retarded you're at least half so too. Then you can do something together.

I meant the repair guy. My dad knows nothing about technology.

Neither does the repair guy, clearly. Buy the parts yourself and if you still need someone else to fix it up for you, deliver the parts personally to a shop.

Should i just pull the trigger and get a GPU now if i have the money left over to do so? I'm going to put in a Ryzen 5 2400G so Vega 11 would do me fine enough for now but I'm worried about stuff in the future and I'm still anxious that there won't be a noticeable drop in GPU prices soon enough

I'd recommend a stronger cpu than a 2400G. If you really need something get a used graphics card and wait for next gen nvidia.

>shame if something happens to those parts you didn't buy from me when I put your system together
you absolutely do not want this guy to go anywhere near your parts

That's what I thought too.

What CPUs have a better integrated GPU, though? Like if I can cut the GPU out of the budget for now and buy it later then I'll do that. But I don't want to spend what I'd be spending on a GPU on a better CPU either because I just need to play stuff on 1080 and R5 does that fine. It's the prices not dropping I'm worried about

The Vega 11 (What's in the 2400G) is the fastest iGPU around.

Just put it together yourself. If you have no idea where to start then just watch a 5 minute youtube video. It really isn't very difficult. You dont want to be the type of guy who is incompetent or has no problem solving skills.

I want to buy a new 1 TB SDD, can't decide if I should go for a cheap SATA drive (MX500 most likely) or pony up extra for something like a 960 Evo.
I'm going to store and compile relatively sizeable VS solutions on it and install games there.

>1tb 960 EVO
If you're going to get a terabyte 960 go for PRO
Otherwise go for WD, I think they're better than even the pro series.
Crucial sata ssd's are also really nice, I'd go for them if you don't want nvme.

Pro is too expensive honestly.
I'll check the WD, how is the Intel 760p?

What does /pcbg/ recommend for parts for a (fairly) low power desktop-nas-router all in one proxmox/unraid type of setup .

Not sure, really. I've only heard about WD and Samsung being relevant for nvme

If I'm not planning on overclocking, is there an advantage to go for the 2700X/8700K instead of their X/K-less counterparts? Should I just overclock? I dont want to spend much in cooling and get a housefire either.

>tfw nobody helps this user

He already doesn't want to do business with you.

techradar.com/news/best-processors

Why would you recommend Intel when they are objectively inferior? Gtfo with that fanboy shit.

Want to know the exact same thing.

>Budget
- $900 to $1300
>Purpose
- Image/Video Editing, want to be able to game recent titles although this isn't a priority
>Monitor
- Want a decent one 16:10 mandatory.
>Build

I want to know if the 2700x is worth it over the 2700, what are the differences specifically, googling mostly gives me technical information that I don't really understand. Another question I have is why the GPU in my build costs less at 8GB than some other manufacturers with the same but 4GB?

This build I want to last and be relatively future proof.

Thanks.

Wrong link, sorry
pcpartpicker.com/list/Yz8JfH

Non K versions of intel processors can't be overclocked at all and run at a lower stock clock as well. Ryzen's non X version run at a lower clock but can still be overclocked to match their X counterpart.
Basically if you're not planning to OC the 2700X is a good choice because of XFR2 being good and the stock cooler too, 8700K not so much and you're gonna need a decent cooler at stock too.

Does he have much of a choice

What does Jow Forums think of my build? It's my first:

au.pcpartpicker.com/list/jjtmgw

$2000 Australian
Modern gaming and video editing.

In terms of modern gaming, I'm hoping to play modern games like PUBG, Overwatch and pretty much any PC game from this generation at 1080p, 60fps with max (or at least high) settings.

Question regarding a build I am setting up, this is a first build for me but I picked a mobo with pic related, 1 fan for cpu, 4 controlled fan plugs and 2 100% running fans.

I am not using watercooling. Do people use those 100% output fan connectors? Are there splitters to connect multiple fans to one connector (I am guessing as long as the input watt stays below the number listed in the graph).

I wanted to do 3x fans in front, 2x or 1x 140mm fan on top and 1x in the back.

Attached: fgjhgjjg.jpg (647x1033, 136K)

i asked this this in last thread last thread and got no response, so with todays prices, am I better off buying prebuilt or building?

Attached: 8FF227E7-AC46-46C8-A580-70F3F1A010CA.jpg (1059x1280, 253K)

kogan.com/au/buy/kogan-24-led-144hz-gaming-freesync-monitor/

What's the catch with a 144hz monitor this cheap?

I'm looking for a case that is

>A cube(I really like this style, even if it takes more space)
>Without windows
>Is for ATX

Most models I have seen either don't have windows, but are for mini-ITX, or are for ATX formats but have a window.

Am I not looking hard enough or my only real choice is to suck it and buit it with with the window

Attached: ATXcube.png (720x750, 393K)

Depends on what is included in the prebuilt and what you want to do with it.

Im looking to finally take the plunge and get a 1440p 144hz monitor, im looking at the MSI Optix MAG27CQ its just released in stores around here and I can get it for about 450 yurobucks.
Does anyone have experiences with the monitor?

go to pcpartpicker and compare the prebuilts to something you desire to have

Attached: 51802e72d87008a5c0171920465004009baddc76.jpg (527x376, 26K)

5ms tn panel? Didn't know such a thing even exists. Might as well go for a va at that point. And no that's not cheap for tn.

This might be a silly question, I'm looking at motherboards for 2700x and on pacpartpicker the supported RAM speed goes

>DDR4-2133 / 2400 / 2666 / 2933 / 3200

Does this mean 3000 isn't supported or is it implied? In the end, how much of a difference is there between 2400/2666 to 2933/3200?

apparently you can just put that case sideways to hide the window. otherwise you can tape paper on it idk

The idea is not resorting to nigger rigging.

Of course, I can go and make an opaque sidepanel, of just send it all to hell and do the case myself but I do not have that ammount of free time in my hands.

Look at the supported ram list for an accurate number, the mobo's x470 I have looked at all support the 3000Mhz.

Alternatively look on shop sites but you should always look through the supported ram list from the manufacturer website to make a final decision.

makes sense
maybe a solid version of the side panel exists for sale that you can swap out

Where would you go from here, Jow Forums?

Attached: Untitled.png (837x714, 42K)

>anything recent from Intel
Why would that matter, used xeons are powerful and cheap, or is it because intel doesn't make money from their sales is what bothers you

A video card if gayman is important, possibly a new SSD if you for some reason feel it's been worn. Then you get a Dragon Dildo and install Gentoo.

Thermaltake X seriers or just go straight so caselabs. LianLI might have a model or two with that stylr.

I am looking for some good, quiet fans for my rig. Not too expensive though cause I need quite a few of them.

I listed the CORSAIR Air Series AF120 Quiet Edition as optional but what does Jow Forums suggest?

I'd rather not have leds.

Thanks, will check