I just wanted to say fuck these things. Did we really need another standard? HDMI wasn't enough...

I just wanted to say fuck these things. Did we really need another standard? HDMI wasn't enough? Thanks to these pieces of shit I can't hook up my laptop to monitors anymore. Paradoxically, new monitors have a port for this bullshit and also for VGA! What the fuck? So HDMI is "old and outdated" but ancient-ass shit like VGA isn't? My laptop has VGA and HDMI ports, but I'm not in the habit of carrying a VGA cable around and it seems every monitor is equipped only with these goddamn DisplayPort cables!

Attached: Displayport-cable.jpg (572x346, 63K)

Other urls found in this thread:

anandtech.com/show/12095/hdmi-21-specification-released
anandtech.com/show/12213/vesa-announces-work-on-next-displayport-standard
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Nice blog

These are way better than hdmi though. They are
-open standard
-daisy chainable
-supported through usb
No drm
Generally support better resolutions first

user what kind of fucking monitor did you manage to buy that doesn't have a damn HDMI port
you're delusional, i see more monitors with HDMI ports than i see monitors with displayport/VGA ports

Attached: mentalretardation.png (514x481, 393K)

>-supported through usb

What? I have yet to see one of these shits fit in my USB ports.

Displayport is butter to HDMI's margarine.

Attached: 1524401825499.png (514x711, 84K)

I'm not sure if this is the right model but it's a "Dell RevA00". In offices I see monitors only having these cables.

why do you keep referring to it like it's a new standard and hdmi is an old one
they're basically the same age and dp only loses relevance as time keeps going on

Youre absolutely retarded, thunderbolt 3 which uses usb c ports has the displayport standard built in

Maybe its because of "" display link""

I can't understand what the fuck you're saying. Rephrase.

>royalty free
>higher refresh rates on 4k
>chainable between devices

HDMI is garbage, amount of times HDCP has just not paired the 2 devices is ridiculous.

All you can do is turn everything on and off 50 times

That doesn't solve my problem, sperg. My inputs are eSATA/USB, HDMI, SS USB and VGA.

For which part of my post?

Do you mean outputs? Because if you have a monitor with esata lol. Hdmi to dp cables are pretty cheap but i get you.

Laptop has esata.

Looks like the best option for me is to buy a VGA cable, since those seem to be universally supported. I don't give a fuck about no """features""".

Nah if youre buying a cable dp to hdmi for sound my man. Esata is a comedy port. Im suprised thats not your complaint desu.

Also you highlight a valid issue with a lot of hardware: they choose hdmi and dont add dp which is the standard we need to support going forward. Even mdp would be g

>Thanks to these pieces of shit I can't hook up my laptop to monitors anymore.
And why can't you?

What it appears, is that you are a child throwing a tantrum because you need to buy a new cable, or something of the such. There are numerous advantages to DisplayPort, as others have linked in the thread, and literally no downside outside of you needing to beg your mom to buy you a DP cable.

VGA was fantastic for it's time (outside of shitty, unshielded cables) but can it drive 4k at 144hz? Can it drive my 1080p display at 144hz with one cable? Is HDMI Royalty free? I'll take DP over any other cable any day of the week.

If I have to use an HDMI to DP cable what the fuck will have been the point? What if the next peripheral doesn't support that?

>DP

How I feel after being subjected to this shit.

Dp should be the standard going forward though, we're just in a period where theres competing standards. Be glad you dont have some retarded shit like mini and micro hdmi

>2018
>not just using wireless screen share

>they're basically the same age
They're not though. The first consumer HDMI products hit the market in 2003. The first DisplayPort ones weren't until 2008.

wat

AirPlay
It just works.

anandtech.com/show/12095/hdmi-21-specification-released

HDMI 2.1 is better than DisplayPort 1.4 now though, true 8K60FPS support

It's not until the next-gen DisplayPort that it will be better than HDMI again

anandtech.com/show/12213/vesa-announces-work-on-next-displayport-standard

>Apple

Attached: tired.jpg (400x386, 29K)

Well at least we aint drm

HDMI is useless, can't even handle 144hz 1080p, DP on the other hand doesn't even feel 150hz 1080p.

You're an idiot.
I hope that wasn't too hard.

>Thanks to these pieces of shit I can't hook up my laptop to monitors anymore
What so HDMI to DP/mDP cables/adapters don't exist? You can even push DP through USB now so what's your problem?

Is this a joke

>display connected with dp goes to sleep
>windows reconfigures display setup like it was physically disconnected
The absolute state of dp

HDMI 1.0/1.1 and 1.2 both don't have enough bandwidth for 1080p 144hz, minimum is HDMI 1.3/1.4 or HDMI 2.0/2.1

Displayport on the other hand supports 1080p 144hz even on the oldest DP 1.0 cables/ports

Muh dual link DVI can get 5 more Hz on my monitor than DP

DP 1.0 can output 8.64Gb/s
Dual link DVI can output 7.92Gb/s

DP 1.2 outputs 17.28Gb/s

DP 1.3 is 25.92Gb/s

So unless something fucky is going on with software, or your monitor/GPU is simply unable to fully meet the displayport specification, you should be getting more Hz using DP, than DVI.

Fair point but comparing the modern standards tells a different story. Still dp forever, i bought a dp cable even when a hdmi would have worked.

>HDMI to DP cable
As far as I know this isn't supported.

Displayport only beat out HDMI to 1080p 144hz capability by about a month anyway.

DP 1.0 was ratified in April 2006

HDMI 1.3 in June 2006

And at the time, HDMI was more commonplace and already had a fair bit of market share. So DP 1.0 didn't even really hit market for another year or two in earnest.

Youve got me curious now, why not? Both are digital

We have a shitton of those adapters at the office. Works just fine.

Yeah, such an adapter is the only way for my HD7850 to output 4k/60Hz to my TV through HDMI.

DP to HDMI can be done with a simple cable.
HDMI to DP requires a converter device built into the cable.

Think of it like this:
DP = SAS
HDMI = SATA

Get the fuck out you absolute moron.

Attached: black whole wojak.jpg (1218x1015, 212K)

Nori? What volume is HidaSketch on these days?