You decide to take the time and create your own Linux distro. What would it be like?

You decide to take the time and create your own Linux distro. What would it be like?

Attached: xl-2017-linux-1.jpg (620x320, 55K)

I don't understand why people keeps making new distros. 1 good DE, that actualy works and looks good at the same time is what linux realy needs.

/thread

This

Is it possible to use the DE of MacOS?

isn't that Gnome? Unless you have a potato it does that.

No reason to make another distro if you have Debian.

Unless you write a revolutionary package manager or a whole new UI that makes everything better.

systemd is a reason

No, i don't think so. Gnome looks like it was designed for tablets, but it's to heavy for tablets, so in my opinion it's shit.

mint

It would be like GNU/Linux u fagget

Something binary based with properly riced XFCE out of the box, and a bunch of nice tiling wallpapers.

Attached: Screenshot_042418_183124.png (1366x768, 337K)

I think most of the work is actually ensuring that said DE works fine in your distro.

Minimal install mint (mate or xfce), then letting users choose which programs install.

LinuxLibre as default kernel, no SystemD, Wayland as default display server. Installer lets you choose a Wayland compatible DE (GNOME, KDE, etc), pacman as package manager.

But I can just install Arch and do all of the above.

Pretty similar to void.

Source-based arch variant with support for non-systemd init system

Attached: 1518774155322.jpg (700x700, 127K)

Kek

wtf is this monstruosity

The correct response to flat trash.

I'd say one distro for desktop brainlets (the Winblows and Fapple crowd) and one for developers (generally autistic shit that doesn't use a mouse).

- Can pick any init you want (runit, openrc, systemd(icks))
- Bleeding Edge / Rolling release
- curses installler
- Good package manager
- Large variety of packages
- Probably a fork of Void

like debian, but with blackjack and hookers...
in fact, forget the debian.

What is so great about void apart no systemd?

xbps is comfy
Good IRC channel
Muh minimalism
runit is very nice
more???

Sounds like a case for gentoo to me

Don't want to compile everything

this is why you have new distros like budgie or mint. they don't want to develop on the old ecosystem and want to be able to built their distro around the DE.

but i agree, a good DE is long overdue. gnome3 is disappointing as well as cinnamon. buggy piece of shit, with horrible functionality. budige appears to be similar in regards of functionality, which is pretty sad but at least their founder would be willing to make it cross platform.

Gnome lags on my Threadripper/Vega64 setup.

Xbps-srclooks like a great idea, but what about the bootstrap file? Do you always need it? How many programs have it available?

>But what about the bootstrap file, do you always need it
What do you mean?
>How many programs have it available
All, you can compile any package that is in the repos (and even out) using xbps-src

I like mate a lot, altough is still quite buggy sometimes.

Because different people have different needs.
The large amount of distros you can choose from is one of the things that makes linux great.

> what about the bootstrap file?
What do you mean?
You clone the repo and run ./xbps-src (binary-)bootstrap

My main gripe with void is shlibs that sometimes result in delayed updates and hard separation of 32/64 bits (still no 64 bit wine).

Other than that, it's the very best distro I've used.

Will switch to MUSL version when TexLive-2018 rolls out with proper support for that.

gnome2/mate to me is a lot like fisher price toys. looks like crap, performs like crap but has decent amount of configurations. gtk is just fucking awful and needs to die

I read fast about it and I got the feeling that you needed an extra file to create the package.

You mean you can simply clone a .git, and build and install the package with xbps-src?

I'm not quite sure I follow, could you explain with more detail what you're talking about?

Lol, forget about it, I just started with linux so you're speaking with a retard in that area. Thanks for trying to help though

Mageia, but rolling release with up to date software and something like the AUR.

Because the entire point of using linux is to tailor all your options precisely to your own needs.
The "ONE LINUX. ONE DE. ONE SOLUTION" mentality is what gave us the toxic shitfest of GNOME and systemd

I like the idea behind this image.
like, it looks like ass, but it's not unsalvageable

package manager is pacman + aur (like pacaur), but it has a date based baseline on every single package, including the AUR. system setups are propagated in profiles. those are like gentoo, but larger in scale. you don't get any desktop profile without a DE. minimalists need to look elsewhere.

any baseline day that hasn't any broken package for a profile is a "save point" for that profile. normie users are encourages to stay at save points. simpler profiles obviously have more save points. save points are declared as such 30 days later. Save points can lose their status if bug tracking can pin down errors to broken packages released that day. normies can opt out of rolling back by clicking "works on my machine".

extra packages are not considered for save points or breaking systems.

Fuck no

A distro specialized for battery life on laptops.

Xfce already exists. It's stable and customizable, can be made to look very good out of the box. It's also extremely easy to use unlike GNOME 3 and it's clones.

laptops are too varied to be covered by one specific distro
just configure debian to your liking, which is what most distros are anyway

>no high dpi scaling
this is actually worse than file picker previews usability wise

pkg manager is pacman (yaourt)
GUI installer
minimal but slick looking DE
optimised for old hardware

why create your own linux distro when you could copy xubuntu

Loonix for Kernel, MacOS for Userland, Windows for games compatibility and FreeBSD for network stack.

The best SO ever!

Attached: 1516470221204.gif (630x420, 291K)

Its plan9. The "package manager" is 'go get'

It's BSD/Linux instead of GNU/Linux. Finally, the Linux kernel would have a useful userland.

I really need some nice tiling wallpapers.
I have been using unriced dwm for months now.

Void would be pretty good if it would keep me from upgrading my Kernel when it breaks nvidia drivers.
That was pretty annoying today...

Does anyone here use Kali Linux?

everything fuzzy search.
web history works in the way that every web page you visit all the readable text is indexed. title + url
fuzzy search history
fuzzy search clipboard
fuzzy search snippets
fuzzy search files + folders
fuzzy search grep inside files and folders
fuzzy search executables
fuzzy search ALL THE THINGS!

altimit OS

Attached: altimit_operation_system_by_ryuichi_lvr1.jpg (1956x1564, 506K)

>>no high dpi scaling
Since it uses GTK+2, it actually has better scaling.
You set DPI and scale everything with font size.

I fucking **WISH** I could do the same with GTK+3 Apps.

increasing font size =/= scaling
gtk3 is the best scaling out there because it doesnt look like ass, you keep the propotions the same when you scale

id call it xunil/ung and youd have to type everything backwards

developers that need autistic shit don't generally need to have their DE made for them.

Rolling release
not systemd
good installer with encryption options
polished KDE and GNOME options
minimum software apart from sound + wifi tools

Like Windows 2000 with OS/2's Workplace Shell.

>increasing font size =/= scaling
Increasing DPI is. And increases the fonts by itself
>gtk3 is the best scaling out there because it doesnt look like ass, you keep the propotions the same when you scale
Wrong. I can show you a great example. I have a 211 DPI display. Now let's see what I have to do to get correct font rendering:
GTK+2:
1. Set DPI to 211
2. Decrease font size so all panels are the correct size
GTK+3:
1. Set the correct DPI for Xorg
2. See how all the text in toolbars became extremely small, even though font settings are different.
3. Set DPI in Xft.dpi
4. Notice how every fucking icon became giant and looks like ass
5. Try to force device scaling
6. You are back to point 1
7. Give up on this shit

that sort of thinking is exactly why we have 5000 DEs. The linux community needs to be slightly less autistic.

I would try to beat ubuntu in normie friendliness, doing things such as simplified configuration files, simplified filesystem, pretty much integrated wine... and a "safety mode" that is graphical but only using the bare minimum like vesa and stuff to allow the user to fix the shit while not knowing linux commands.

Functional.

>xorg
stopped reading right there
stop usinh deprecated software
this is how scaling works on gtk3:
>go to tweak tool
>pick the scaling you want

slackware with SBo stuff merged into the base repository, dependency resolution and a simple supervising init system
probably

KDE is already here, it just needs a little polish

patched firefox with better touchscreen support and thumbnail in file picker, Tiling window manager, keyboard shortcuts similar to i3 but simplified, minimalist light desktop environment, based off debian except with openRC over systemd, swaps to tablet mode when I touch the screen and is in autistic keyboard only mode the rest of the time.

bs, it runs fine on my dual core thinkpad.

Windows 10

>completely libre software
>looks like xubuntu, but fixes many of its flaws (screen tearing, default config to attract more normies)
>OpenRC init
>GNU IceCat fork that has built-in NoScript, uBlock Origin, HTTPS Everywhere and Self-Destructing Cookies as default web browser
>Fixed GTK filepicker
>fork elementaryOS pay-what-you-want store with libre soft only
>two versions: Hardened - (comes with Linux-libre-extreme from Parabola) and Normal
>FUCKING OPTIMIZED so 0 AD works even on your 1.6GHz Sempron

>stop usinh deprecated software
Hahahaha, call me when Wayland has a unified API for basic functionality so every WM maker doesn't have to write it from scratch.
>go to tweak tool
>pick the scaling you want
Ok, genius. How do I get 211DPI for fonts and no scaling to the UI?

In GTK+2 this is extremely easy just like I said.

>How do I get 211 DPI for fonts and no scaling the UI
this is not high dpi scaling
with that aside let me write a comprehensive guide for you:
>go to tweak tool
>select fonts tab
>pick a scaling you like

>this is not high dpi scaling
I never said I need scaling. Whole point is I don't need the fucking scaling, but need the correct font DPI.

>go to tweak tool
>pick a scaling you like
Once again, how do I set exactly 211DPI for fonts? Not guess the fucking scaling, but have a set native DPI?

Also, I set it to 2x and nothing changed. Let me guess, this works only in GNOME?

Attached: 2018-04-26-11:27:03-screenshot.png (477x732, 70K)

because I like tiling wm and you dont

Shitty.

#! With AUR

This, but to expand a bit all you really need is a minimal installation of distro where you pick what you need (arch linux, i.e.).
And GNOME already is a standard DE which must be recognized by more people.
Why GNOME? Well...
>already is dependent on standard libraries (systemd)
>endorses new technologies (wayland)
>developers knows better how DE should work (no KDE nonsense where fags demand ridiculous garbage like "make muh windows transparent")

iusearchbtw

>scripts which detects hardware and configure and optimize kernel for the hardware automatically
>no grub and shit just efi stub kernel
>systemd
>musl
>i3 with gaps

you need nothing more

>Hur dur couldn't be optional

>I dont need a feature so nobody needs it
>therefore DE without that feature is objectively the best

setting dpi is a guesswork, same as setting scaling, you have to try and find what works for you depending on how far away you are from your screen and how much you want to stress your eyes
prpbably nothing changed because it only works for gtk3 and sone other settings you have are taking priority, it works in any gtk3 based DE

>stuff to allow the user to fix the shit while not knowing linux commands.
So, linux commands integrated into a GUI? YaST exists.

It's more like
>It doesn't have the feature I need
>Therefore I think it's shit
DPI is known and not a guess work. Once again, I don't use it to scale UI elements, on the contrary, I want them to stay the way they are.
I need DPI settings for the fonts to render the way they are supposed to be.

GTK+2 allows me to it with ease. GTK+3 hat some scaling fuckery that doesn't work correctly and almost always scales UI.

Another great feature of GTK+2 ist that if I ever want to scale the UI, I simply need to increase the fonts size. And again, GTK+3 fucking fails at that.

>in any GTK+3 DE
I don't have a DE.

this whole conversation is about xfce being the best de, learn to read please

>about xfce being the best de
That's true. (I use it on a media server I set up for my parents)
It has GTK+2 and therefore everything I described works perfectly.
And you can scale UI by selecting font size.

ive stated here already that when scaled by increasing text size, propotions stay the same, hence it not having high dpi scaling
if a DE doesnt have a feature required to look decent on modern displays, it cannot be the best DE
i know your reading comprehension is retarded, but im not sure how i can put it in simpler terms

I’d make it like tv so that black folk can get good jobs. White people make computers hard.

>when scaled by increasing text size, propotions stay the same
Do you want proportions to change? So square icons are no longer square?

>hence it not having high dpi scaling
I don't think you know what that means.
Unlike with GTK+3, you can always set the actual DPI of your screen through Xft.DPI and correct with font size. Simple and effective.

>if a DE doesnt have a feature required to look decent on modern displays, it cannot be the best DE
And that's why I'm not using anything on GTK+3.
Impossible to get it look decent for me.

GNU/Pajeet Linux
The main focus of the sistro would be to gather info on all available designated shitting streets around the worl, also random images of these streets would be used as walpapers. Would use the shit brown theme from Ubuntu.

Attached: 1490466578848.gif (160x160, 177K)

I want text to fit in the boxes it was made for for example, set your dpi to 372 and tell me it looks pretty

this

At first it made me sad, but then it made me laugh. so I'm kinda happy now i guess

this

This. For the things that distros do, Debian is pretty much perfect.
Just replace it with whatever init system you want. They're all in Debian. I use sysvinit on all my machines.

>wallpapers
Why? When do you ever actually see your desktop other than on a newly booted system, ie. about once a year?