SIX years between two MINOR releases

>SIX years between two MINOR releases

Attached: shitty_joke.png (768x768, 234K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gnu.org/graphics/package-logos.html
youtu.be/cY87-f-CDD8
a1websitepro.com/put-gimp-one-single-window-mode/
duckduckgo.com/?q=gimp single window mode&t=lm&ia=qa
dreevoo.com/content.php?id=655
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

But user it respects yoyr freedums

>seinfeld bass theme plays

Feel free to contribute to GIMP if you find it's lack of progress disturbing. Yes, I do agree that it's not really moving forward. Meanwhile, there's Krita. Krita really is improving - a lot.

why dont you make a pull request then and contribute your amazing add ons. Its perfect as is fagot

>horrible codebase
>oh just add stuff yourself
I'd rather make new GIMP from scratch

There's nothing worthwhile to contribute to GIMP though, it's underlying design is the reason its so fucking janky and awful to use

Software is just a tool. Freedom isn't a function of what you can do to the tools you have, but rather of what you can do WITH the tools you have. Hence, GIMP is less free than PhotoShop, because PhotoShop can accomplish more than GIMP can.

>implying you are smart enough to understand anything but highschool tier projects

>cannot modify photoshop to do anything like with gimp
photoshop is clearly less free

>yfw most linux/gimp users don't know about this

Attached: Screenshot_2018-04-25_11-58-59.png (1280x647, 124K)

Does anyone use it in any mode besides Single Window Mode?

use the dev version retard

>minor
Yeah right, bud. Have you tried 2.10 yet?
—New engine—everything works 100 times faster
—Instant preview/adjustment of many filters on canvas
—preview/adjust for gradients and lasso select too
—unified transform tool—no need to switch between rotate/scale/shear/perspective
—new layer modes with HCL (for perceptive lightness)
—many small additions like group masks
Honestly I was getting tired of 2.8 but this sold me. This is a huge leap towards what PhotoShop has, except FOSS and sometimes even better.

Single window mode sucks, I need multiple windows for references

What can gimp do that Krita can't? Krita 4.0 is a very /comfy/ program overall.

Attached: Krita-4.jpg (1692x936, 362K)

>>cannot modify photoshop to do anything like with gimp
Can you?

Attached: I_966e7e_5560541.jpg (498x210, 10K)

why does GIMP still use the GIMP Toolkit v2 ?

>need a clunky addon to CREATE SHAPES

just use krita

looks like gimp to me friend

>>SIX years between two MINOR releases
Pretty stable, eh?

The problem is that devs are not painters and they don't know what to do in it.

Is this one of the worst logos of all time?

Yes

>GIMP is for painters
if you're so dumb then why use linux

>fix it yourself
lmoa

If GIMP disappeared today, would anyone care?

you clearly have never taken a look at the other gnu logos.
Be warned though, you can't unsee it:
gnu.org/graphics/package-logos.html

Yes, I use it

The Gimped Virgin Vs The Chad.net

For what?

whenever I need to edit pics, create dank memes, etc.
It just works, it has layers, masks, paths, etc.
I know how it works and how to get shit done with, what do you use to edit pictures with?

Sorry Adobe, no one wants to use your CLOUD APPS. More and more people are turning to Gimp because its enough to do what most people use it for.

Gimp has single window mode now since v2.8, no more closing floating windows by accident

window>single-window-mode

Attached: single-window-mode-finally.png (1200x750, 276K)

If it aint broke don't fix it ;)

gimp needs a rewrite
the problems is that it's useful enough as-is that no one wants to bother

really though, all I want are actual layer tools (non-destructive color and curves editing, applying filters/effects to multiple layers at once, moving multiple layers around at once (like just putting items in a layer group is a pain), making layer groups not suck entirely) and a few basic shape tools so I don't have to fuck around with filling and stroking selections/paths manually or just making the shape layer in another program entirely
I've gotten used to a lot of the other general UI bullshit, but in terms of actual important editing features for people that routinely edit pictures, GIMP's miserable layer handling means I'm constantly flattening the result, making the component pieces un-editable
doing any kind of work involving a lot of layers in GIMP is atrocious because it's tedious as fuck to manually do all your processing and effects over and over to each layer

And none of that works properly most likely, considering it's GIMP.

You can not improve on perfection.

>gnu.org/graphics/package-logos.html
My God, they look like a combination of 80's to 90's logos where people unironically used airbrushes, gradients and un-matching art-stiles on the same piece, and early 2000's pre-rendered 3D .gif's
Absolutely everything hate about design

Attached: 1392896558710.gif (640x240, 18K)

I always people say gimp is janky but I've never had an issue with it

99% of the time it's just people who don't realize single window mode exists

I just started to use it on my laptop and it is already an improvement for me. Time will tell if it is actually better than GIMP since it is different in manny aspects and I can't form a conclusion until I get used to krita.
But most of the problems I have had with GIMP are due to me using it from a laptop, aside from that nothing too bad

Wait there is a single window mode? I've been using it for years

pic related

multi window mode is OK when using multiple monitors.

Attached: green is my pepper.png (640x400, 70K)

1) Gimp really really needs to start in Single window by default.

I actually hated the multi window shit for a long time.

2)
>Does anyone use it in any mode besides Single Window Mode?
I will answer this from my perspective.

I love single window mode and used it for a long time.
However I experimented with multi window mode and it makes sense and used it.
However only if you know how and have multiple work spaces.

Set it up like this
Workspace 1 = all the color, tools, layers windows .
Workspace 2 =The 1 window you draw in; maximize this window.
You practically have 100% of the screen for drawing and can get the tools by using the OS swap workspace button.

You can work like this and somehow it feels better to me then using TAB to hide all the docks or how do they name this shit.

I recommend trying it.

>Single window mode sucks, I need multiple windows for references
Can you elaborate on this?

Personally I use gimp for shitposting.
And I have grown to like it, personally I rather use gimp then Krita who looks like its fucked in the ass.
Of I started shitposting in gimp because its shitiness should only add to the finished work (think MS-Pain shitposting only better in every way; you have no layers in MS-Paint).

Take a look.

Attached: GNU+GIMP.png (800x600, 18K)

And this is why GIMP NEEDS to start in single window mode!
See:
>Wait there is a single window mode?
youtu.be/cY87-f-CDD8
a1websitepro.com/put-gimp-one-single-window-mode/

duckduckgo.com/?q=gimp single window mode&t=lm&ia=qa
>Open GIMP, and go to Windows > Single-Window Mode
dreevoo.com/content.php?id=655

It does everything I want it to do, why does it need updates?

It seems pretty mature, you just want to turn it into bloatware?

I hope it does forever.
GTK+3 is some unwieldy abomination that I can not instruct exactly what to do.

>devs are not painters
GIMP is not a painting tool. It's a raster editor.
Mypaint/Krita is for painting.

>You practically have 100% of the screen for drawing and can get the tools by using the OS swap workspace button.
Just press "Tab" and it will hide everything but the canvas.
No need to use multiple workspaces.

>Just press "Tab"
I know.
See:
>it feels better to me then using TAB to hide all the docks or how do they name this shit.

I don't know it feels more right to do it this way.
Maybe its because the workspace is not bloated with all the docks and un-bloated.
Maybe this is what feels wrong to me.

I don't know.
However It a way you can use multiple windows and its practical.

Anyone has other reasons for using multiple windows?

I paid for a company voluntarily, for a product they made voluntarily, with money I worked for voluntarily, with a job I got voluntarily.
And it's an infinitely better product as a result of this.

You don't understand freedom, I accept the fact that I can't modify the program.

What part of this is infringing on freedom?

What are you even on?
Are you shitposting ironically or something?

>let's release this totally new version without any meaningful updates, change some buttons and market it as the next big thing in something something.
Ohh... Wait... They don't need to do that

2.10.0 changes a lot though. Finally correct linear colorspace almost everywhere. Note that a major release would mean backward incompatible change. In the case of GIMP it would most certainly would be the file format.

On a tiling wm and/or multi monitor non-single window is better.

I'm going to assume he is some AnCap fagot.
> Freedom isn't a function of what you can do to the tools you have
Yes it is.
> but rather of what you can do WITH the tools you have
No you retard

"what you can do WITH the tools you have"
Is named productivity, functionality or efficiency.
The word you are looking for is productivity a nice all around word who describes the end result of the process and how fast+/ easy you can get to it.

Not having the ability to change something you own is less freedom.
The fact that you don't own any commercial software(FACT unless you are some CEO) is un-free.

The fact that you actually effectively OWN GIMP makes it pure freedom.
Oh it can be shit and crap however YOU OWN it.
You can do with it everything you want (excluding BSD retardation who conclude making it illegal to murder people with knifes is not freedom).
Everyone effectively OWN GIMP and everything under the GPL because you can modify it and use it like you want.

No restriction on making copies and giving them to your friends.
You try this with AAA games and its named piracy.
(arguably the most normie explanation and normie behavior normies want).

The GPL will not make something magically productive however we value our own freedom more then some productivity and GIMP is miles above MS-Paint so normies will love it for their MS-Paint replacement.

>I paid for a company voluntarily
You try to not pay you SLAVE renting fee to the Adobe creative cloud!
See what happens.
It seams you have no idea what the word "voluntarily" even means.

For example paying for GIMP is really voluntarily because you can use it regardless of the fact if you pay for it.
Try the same with Photoshop without:
>Illegal piracy (This is a crime!)
>Jumping true ridicules hoops to get some license for free.
>abuse the system by using trial versions forever

Attached: 1cb0cfc3776227168a48ba4213d9a90bf96f7a68fdf7110e9a632decdb9cb9e5.jpg (920x537, 98K)

>More and more people are turning to Gimp
Holy shit my sides

except it does, despite it's still release candidate. stop talking out your ass.

can't change perfection

>You can not improve on perfection.
>can't change perfection

>Holy shit my sides
I know, thats just silly, I mean of course everyone is going to pay a subscription to use a cloud based image app like Photoshop, what kind of idiot would use an image app you can install on your computer that does the same basic thing for free?

I last tried GIMP a year ago or so and it still wasn't even close to be good enough to replace Photoshop for me. I'll probably try it again this summer, though I doubt it will be sufficient. But goddamn, does the cloud based bullshit tick me off. I don't want any of this.

>of course everyone is going to pay a subscription to use a cloud based image app like Photoshop
If your job is to use photoshop (as graphic designer or printer or whatever), the yearly subscription (just as as the thousand bucks or whatever it used to cost) isn't really an issue in terms of financial investment. And if all you do is put some text with the impact font on funny images to post on Jow Forums, you'd be an idiot to bother with photoshop for that. Of course people still pirate it regardless, and the subscription and cloud service won't change anything about that.

gimp?lol more like gimped lmAO

xD

If all you need is a meme maker gimp is fine

If you have a job buy photoshop you'll get it back at tax time unless you live in the third world

To be fair I use GIMP daily and its mostly for shitposting and replacing MS-Paint.
See:
It can crop images, the wand can remove most solid colors. can add text etc etc.
And its really good.
Even if it fucks up the fucked up image only adds to the shitposting style.
Can you rate GIMP for normies and shitposters?
Not to speak of the space age tools of flipping and scaling images.

Not everyone on this planet works
>If your job is to use photoshop (as graphic designer or printer or whatever)
In this industry.

>normies and shitposters
Yeah, as I said, it's perfectly fine for that. I still maintain that it'd be silly to use photoshop for that.

>what kind of idiot would use an image app you can install on your computer that does the same basic thing for free?
Idk. But that app certainly isn't GIMP xD

Thanks.
You have to see normie friends faces when you show them GIMP.
Its like a fucken free miracle for them.

What are the pro tasks you are making in photoshop?
I'm only interested for you to elaborate them.

You fags need to stop like software needs 100 new versions every month, if it works it works.

>cloud service
Photoshop has nothing to do with cloud.
Its basically a renting service that needs to phone home or it has a freak out.

The problem with renting software is that its the end of any innovation.
They don't need to improve their shit or invent new features only continue extorting money and if you don't pay you lose all access to the rented software.

In the past there where bullshit reasons for them to at least to try to tempt to pretend they are inovating
>Oh look this completely new file format is not made up bullshit to force you to buy the new product with a different version number
>It magically improves something

At least you can push back ageist this, by refusing to buy the new version.

What to you think from the business industry of things?

Nothing interesting.
Rarely some photography work (most work is done in Lightroom), mostly stuff like luminosity masks and heavy edits. The usual graphic design work and some screenprinting preparation (separating colors, etc). Also drawing, but not commercially, just as a hobby.

>Photoshop has nothing to do with cloud.
The program lineup of adobe includes stuff like integrated access to online repositories, searching for fonts, cloud storage, integration with social media, etc. It's all tightly integrated into the programs (a adobe stock search bar in InDesign, a prompt to search online for missing fonts if you open a document with fonts that aren't installed in photoshop, etc) and it's extremely annoying, intruding and just overall unwanted.

Of course it's a great business model for adobe because you don't sell software but a service which clients have to continuously rent. Not to mention all the user data and analytics they can sell.

>The problem with renting software is that its the end of any innovation.
I see your point, but I don't think it's that drastic - Adobe was already in a good market position and the lack of a service-oriented business in the past wasn't much of a difference in terms of how much they needed to innovate to keep their business afloat. They still will be innovating, but with Photoshop as a very stable and mature product, and with the current trends, I believe we'll see more improvements like content-aware filling/scaling, magic wand, or "smart tools" that use better algorithms and machine learning in general.

For me it's more of a moral problem that I as user am becoming more of a product or cattle that can be milked instead of having a equal standing between a software producer and a client. Like other tech giants (google, microsoft, apple, etc) it's a general trend in the industry, and I see no other solution but free software (i.e. gpl, not freeware).

But in general my guess is that most people in the industry won't care about the difference and whether it's a subscription-based fuck-the-user-in-the-ass-service or a well-engineered, standalone program, whether they pay a grand upfront or 100 a year makes no difference, and their consumer rights make certainly even less of a difference. What people want is convenience, not freedom. And of course graphic designers, photographers, and so on need to use photoshop! Everyone knows that! In short the people in the industry are no different to the people outside. They know as little about technology or their consumer rights as anyone else does, just like a construction worker won't give a shit if his power hammer is now subscription based and you're not allowed to make modifications.

Piracy is not a crime

>What people want is convenience, not freedom
What *normies want is convenience, not freedom

Freedom = Convenience
I wish this stupid "durr open sores software is moar free as in freedumbz" meme would just fucking die already.

>The program lineup of adobe includes stuff
I will stop you right here.
If Photoshop was cloud this would literally mean it runs on adobe servers and is streaming the results to you like a onLive game (now bankrupt).

This would translate to you having the ability to run Photoshop on everything because you have a remote terminal.

PS: Cloud is a bad thing.

Howe Photoshop runs locally, uses your CPU and only phones home.
Remote terminals are OS agnostic while adobe phones home rentals require specific OS versions to run.

Now lets take a look at the piss poor excuses adobe tries to say are cloud.

>integration with social media
Jesus Christ!
Did anyone ever use this professionally?

Did you ever see a about page in any program (like GIMP) who links you to a web page?
So this is cloud now?
Giving web links is cloud?

I don't need to explain how stupid and useless this is.
And how every local program can have the same integration with web services or whatever.
You are going to elaborate how this
>integration with social media
Works and how its useful?
can some autist write a plug-in for GIMP to have the same thing because I want to rub it into cloud-fags faces.

> cloud storage
Mehh.
Useless.
Depending on what you are talking about
Steam cloud storage (configuration files) or of your finished work?
(PS: is steam cloud now?)
Because you can get the same thing by coping your files (this includes configs) to every remote server.

Because this is what you are doing you are renting a remote file storage server.

>integrated access to online repositories
How is this fantastic?
Useless for me can you explain?
Are simple websites with the same things not better?

Attached: asphyxia.png (640x479, 410K)

>a prompt to search online for missing fonts if you open a document with fonts that aren't installed in photoshop
= adobe not installing all of its fonts.
How is this a good thing?

Also retarded problem of the proprietary world in a GNU world every file (excluding TXT etc) would simply include every font used in the document itself (you write using 1 font it includes 1 font, 2 fonts 2 fonts etc).
Making missing fonts impossible.

Attached: asphyxia.png (640x479, 394K)

It's fine as it is.

Just use Krita. I like it better than photoshop, and I have a CC subscription

>Freedom = Convenience
Ok sure but the problem with this line of thinking is that proprietary companies like adobe have a large incentive to intentionally make things inconvenient for you. Remember when it's not free software you don't control the program, it controls you, if the developers decide you are going to be inconvenienced today then you get to suck it up and take it.

And yet if you decide you do actually want to study/modify/redistribute the program because you have some need they are not addressing, you can't legally do that. Then it becomes a "take it or leave it" proposition. How much would you really let them push before you say it's not voluntary anymore?

>I see your point, but I don't think it's that drastic
The cloud is literally slavery, exploitation and the devil.
This point is undebatable.
Also cloud is a meaningless and retarded marketing name you want to defend this name on HDDs who are intended for consumers to simply record their data and have no web functionality whatsoever?

> I believe we'll see more improvements like content-aware filling/scaling, magic wand, or "smart tools" that use better algorithms and machine learning in general.

Full stop.
I know electronic slavery shills will try to push this point.
However its retarded.

Every off line program can record this data and even have a build in function (think steam serves) where you are asked and can consent to sending this log file to their server if you want or never send it.

Because this is what it is a log file that will log this activity, every liberation program (I'm worse then RMS on this (cloud) subject) should have a option to disable the logging and if its logged to have the ability to chose if to send this log file
> to improve everyones experience and future functionality
or to not send
>My privacy is more important

You are given peanuts and are abused by corporations.

The only thing where a subscription is Ok are antivirus programs.
Why?
Because you are receiving new signatures to a point.
Even if you never renew the subscription the program will not brick itself and function with all the signatures you did receive up to this point.

See the difference?
Rental software bricks itself after some time or a signal from the control sever.

>and I see no other solution but free software (i.e. gpl, not freeware).
I think its the only salvation.

Attached: zk2c1UgWd1mXkYhuINtLz-gLCdcC8L9S0JtwbEUrflo.jpg (838x499, 65K)

However the absolute stifling will be massive.
Why innovate if you can sit on what you have?

See if MS fucked up with a new windows version or new office GUI people could simply sit on the old versions and MS feels this in its pocket (no money given).
Same for no innovation, they are not buying new versions MS will not get their money and feels it really bad.

Now why innovate if everyone can not sit on old versions?
You can give the same shit and they need to buy it or they lose the ability to edit their old files, legally speaking.

Same with bad versions, you are updated to the new version and you can go fuck yourself (see win10) the only thing MS will feel is your bitching in the forums or customer service whatever.
And MS or any corporation is not interested and will not feel bad about this.
The only thing that burns their greedy little pig hands is not giving them money.

Attached: tumblr_mm0dxsRgvd1spxfkfo1_500.jpg (497x373, 38K)

Are you retarded?
This was explained to you here
Freedom =/= Convenience

>Krita
I don't like using Krita it functions worse then GIMP
> it better than photoshop, and I have a CC subscription
WOW if photoshop is this level of shit GIMP must be better in every way
GIMP>Krita>photoshop

I'm a GIMP tard.
What do artsy people think photoshop has that GIMP/Krita lack?

>I have a CC subscription
This is immoral.
Don't give them money, pirate it if you need to use it.
Steal from them!
Don't pay them!

Attached: rhmit.jpg (1920x1080, 293K)

>it's not voluntary anymore?
If his a AnCap then rape is voluntary for him.
If he did sign some contract where it says on page 856576 that
>I agree to engage in sexual conduct with every employee of this corporation and must provide sexual services on request and I can not refuse.
See South Park HUMANCENTiPAD.

Ancaps think this is 100% AnCap voluntary.
AnCaps need to be exterminated every time they show up.

Get a fucking job you commie shit

There's no need to fix perfection user.