How did you learn programming?

How did you learn programming?

Attached: IMG_20180425_191948.jpg (640x640, 90K)

Attached: fucking-gross.jpg (740x740, 113K)

>How did you learn programming?

Attached: LOGO Turtle Graphics.png (562x386, 2K)

By not posting on an image board

By programming, of course. If it wasn't intuitive for you, then you're likely to be a pajeet/code monkey.

By Jihad

By not shooting people.

I didn't

Wanted to start making games when I was 8. Fuck making games though, back-end is where its at. Users are retarded anyway

Also how I learned to type.

Attached: BASIC-code.jpg (710x1012, 391K)

dad taught me C at age 10

I learnt in the womb through osmosis as my mom trolled Jow Forums

One day soon, people younger than Jow Forums will be old enough to post on Jow Forums.

Basics in the First Semester of College and from then on mostly by myself

I'll tell you when I finish.

I never learned . Dropped out of computer science for math. I just find programming really unintuitive and frustrating despite the fact I love logic. I really hate that there's just something wrong with me preventing it from clicking .

i was hacking planets with kms using the pikachu packet buffer overflow, then sudenly i got a 20m botnet with that power i learned myself how to program

By not having an internet access.

The best advice I ever got was to find something you're passionate about and find a way to make a coding project with it. That will give you the motiation to keep going when you run into bugs. You will learn much more about coding through practice and googling than you ever will through tutorials or reading.
Reading and doing tutorials will still help if you're very new to it.

God told me to me what to type

It's probably because your brain isn't very creative.
I have a friend who is the same. Really smart, but can't program for shit.

I whined at my dad until he got me a book, then worked from there. Quickbasic, fuck yeah.

>implies his brain isn't very creative.
>guy went on to study math

>Friend and I both wanted to make a game
>Both picked up copies of "Beginning C++ Through Game Programming"
>He gave up on programming after running into all the work involved with actually building a project
>So no game being made but I realized I actually really enjoy programming
>Decide that C++ is a bit hefty to dive into for a first language ("wtf are pointers bro?") so decide to learn JS for web dev
>Go back to community college for CS
>Do freecodecamp projects while doing those first two years. (Professors were garbage so had to self teach most CS basics)
>Transferred to a state school last year and have another year left
>Finally have good professors and challenging course work
>Pretty comfortable with Java and JS, and have dabbled with Python, C#, and Lua over these last 3+ years as well.

Plan on spending this summer getting more comfortable with React and building a few things with C#.

Attached: c2f.png (667x670, 648K)

I didn't say that he isn't intelligent.
There are different factors of intelligence.
Creativity is different from understanding complex logical relations.
The friend I was talking about studies some is doing his doctors in some tough signal processing area, but he can't program very well at all (or isn't very good in other creative task)
Intelligence isn't one dimensional.

Did you even read that guys post ? And to pursue pure math you need a fuck ton of creativity

why are people so scared of pointers i swear

int x = 0;
int *y = &x;
*y = 4;
printf("%d", x); // will be 4. use std::cout if you're a nigger

literally the whole thing in 4 lines. you should've kept learning c++ user, c# is a nigger language

>And to pursue pure math you need a fuck ton of creativity
Not really, everyone can pursue it. Your creativity is a factor in your success, but it isn't even the most important one. Dedication is.
I have the feeling you don't understand what I have been talking about (or are simply not listening)
I don't feel like explaining a third time, so I won't reply on this anymore.

I get them now but at the time I had no clue how code was compiled or how memory worked.

High school modules

>tfw first language was Pascal

>people younger than Jow Forums will be old enough to post on Jow Forums.
>implying

Just kept doing it for fun ever since I was old enough to read and write.

8 years old writing BASIC in the middle of the night from a book i borrowed from the library. Anything less and you're not gonna make it

Middle school:
HTML (lol), PHP, Javascript
High school:
Visual Basic, Actionscript
College:
C++, Java

Now I'm 30 and write Java for a living. I use C# on personal projects because it's more relaxing to write.

Is that rose?

Derek Banas.
Fuck you.

user, I know what I said.
Math requires a ton of creativity. I'd even risk a statement that it's more creative than any other activity you can imagine, even art.

>shown to be wrong
>refuses to accurately address posts
>picks up his ball and leaves in a huff
Amazing

When I was 4 I was programming FPGA chipset subsystems with VHDL and now I'm 18 and now consulting for AMD on the Ryzen series
If you weren't managing a group of 5+ programmers by at least 18 y/o, you will never make over 100k and your children will go to public schools

I wish I was as smart as you. I wish I could get a job

>and your children will go to public schools
random funfact: in countries where public school system is working only morons who can't keep up with the system go to private schools

you guys both were not listening to each other for a moment. it's hard to convey emotional emphasis in text on an anonymous californian image board.

yeah right

i meant to tag 778 in that one. but the other guy, 734 pointed it out as well

man this is a slow board

>schoollet detected
*inhails*

Study, do exercises.

I believe in you. All it takes is a concerted effort. Where do you live?

Attached: 1388294642997.gif (350x300, 1.09M)

wow, she's ugly.

Went to uni for CS, stumbled during my sophomore year, then got serious and took the time to study, and found out I actually had an interest in this sort of thing, and devoted most of my free time to learning concepts outside of the curriculum.

I seriously doubt that. Most likely whatever data you're getting is intentionally skewed to promote some agenda. What's the source?

the hard way (still in process), OP.

>what is the hard way, user?

be me
be in my 30's
be smart and know there's apps that NEED to be made
be too poor to hire people to do it for me
be inspired enough to trudge through the cacophonous flurry of books, tutorials, etc...
be alone in my endeavor
be diligent, hacking together this tidbit of knowledge with that piece, trial and error (have no one to turn to for learning structure)

I don't want to dox myself. I've tried many times but I just can't click with it. It's insanely frustrating. I know the basics and have done the basics many times in many languages. But I can't actually do anything meaningful.

>he can't even greentext right
get out newfag

kek @

>but I can't actually do anything meaningful

I know that feeling.

I did 2 years at a trades college, and transfered to an actual college with credit to finish off the last 2 years of a computer science undergrad degree.

The 2 years at the trades college were a lot more helpful to my education, since I'm a very effective hands-on learner. The type of projects I had to do there were very similar to the types of projects you have to do in the industry, rather than pure theory projects that a typical CS degree makes you do.

You should look in to that sort of thing if you have anything like it near you. I felt like I learned the most during that time.

I'm Canadian btw

I can't show you the numbers because the source is my own backyard
yeah, you could call it an anecdotal evidence, but I'm sure it would be possible to check it (might take some work though. Or could be easy, dunno)
it's even more evident on the college level where people go to private unis when they didn't get to the public ones, which is a recognized social problem around here, as it reinforces social inequality (because people coming from wealthy background have easier access to free public education where people from poor backgrounds and especially rural areas have to pay for their education)

I just want to be able to solve real problems. Hell I wish I could do question one of project euler.

>be me
>want to learn programming
>choose a language that seems cool
>try to read introductory text
>read until my head hurts
>book has stopped making any sense
>fuck this
>delete book
>throw the programming language interpreter/compiler/vm into the trash
>read the textbook of a """harder subject""" , Math, because it actually makes intuitive sense to calm my nerves

Why do I keep having this repeat afternoon ?

University, practicing at home, internships, jobs

Where did you find that picture of me?

That’s a dude

When I was a kid I messed around with qbasic.
Help files, trial and error, and occasional access to a computer with visual basic installed but no supervision, hints, books, or instructions. Took a C class in middleschool for 1 week took true basic class 1 semester highschool followed by 1 semester vb in highschool. Now I am a sandwich artisan at Wendy's $15.00/hr

>14
>wanna learn hacking to join anonymoose
>download portable python and straight up read documentation until enough went in to do stuff

Just kept self teaching various shit from there. Moved on from directly reading documentation though as my only source, that was dumb. It'd be much better to use something like code academy to walk you through the basics, and from there you're free to learn from whatever you want (it'll mostly be stack overflow)

All of that theory never clicked with me either, or I understood it, but didn't really care enough to keep remembering it past an exam / project. I doubt I could do more than a few questions on project euler before boring myself to death.

One of the big things to keep in mind is that you really don't want to suffer from "analysis paralysis". Programming as a subject is all about repetition and building on whatever you already know, and whenever you delete a book/compiler/vm whenever you hit a block and then swap to something else sometime later, you're only putting yourself in a worse position. It's better to just pick something, not listen to what anyone else says about other languages/frameworks/etc, and just REPEAT IT A LOT until you understand it. If you stick with one thing for a few months, I guarantee you'll notice improvements.

Maybe try a different method rather than direct reading? Like interactive tutorials.

I also read other people's open source code a lot, it helps you think about code structure and flow from a practical perspective.

catch-22:
to learn code, read source code

to understand source code, you need to know code

well you learn from tutorials first and then bootstrap yourself into learning more from there via reading source code and googling what you don't understand.

Being able to read and understand line-by-line operations on a piece of source code is pretty far removed from understanding programming as a whole. It's definitely a lot easier to pick up basic syntax and then look at how other people use it, than to just read a book on how to use it.

By reading an old Turbo Pascal book I found in my home and modifying tibia OT Server source code (c++).

Learning right now through CS50 and other courses.
>Second project is to find out if a credit card number is valid using Luhn's algorithm, then return what company it is using the first two digits of the user inputted credit card number
>have no idea where to start
Is it possible to be too much of a brainlet to program? I really do fucking love the shit out of it, but I'm bad. I'm also just beginning, but still feels like there's a shit ton I won't get to. I just want to make super cool applications.

With VB3.0

Same, learned turtle in grade 2, html in grade 6, java in grade 9 through 12. Did ECE and my hopes and dreams to be in tech died. At 30 I came back to it learning APP design, web design, data science, web apps and Machine learning.

School (mainly taught me the absolute fundamentals) and work

I also teach myself and read up on programming paradigms in my spare time

code, code, and even more code.
write it
test it
fix it
repeat

Attached: 1450659832892s.jpg (250x221, 10K)

agreed. Best way to learn to code is to do it. There's tons of books you can torrent for free that will explain what the schools will teach you. The hardest part is finding projects that you can work on.

What books do you recommend?

I switched majors after being really shitty my first few years when I was a CS major. My problem know that im basically reteaching myself to code is im fucking up syntax (usually in regards to loops but thats me just being forgetful) and I'm having a bad bad time structuring my programs.

Should I just start every program by drawing myself a flowchat, is there something I can read to help me with this? Im starting with Python right now because I remember enjoying coding in Python and finding it simple, yet the second time around I'm not.

>ECE in college
>Curriculum is literally all useless shit like LC3
Now I'm forced to self study all the skills that actually gives you a software job