How hard would it be to create a Jow Forums clone? How much existing stuff can you salvage?

How hard would it be to create a Jow Forums clone? How much existing stuff can you salvage?

Attached: 1507800925002.jpg (1920x1541, 145K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gist.github.com/dvliman/11264471
boards.b4chan.org/g/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Supposedly the source code was leaked back in 2010.

Can't be too hard, considering there are 10's of *chan clones out there. Possibly hundreds.

Incredibly easy because it's anonymous, the hard parts of a website are authentication based

Making some of the extensions would be tough to implement at first but the main thing would take no time at all.

I imagine it would take someone with no experience quite a while (implying no tutorials making very similar things exist) but for anyone with over a year's experience it would take like a week for a full clone

Authentication is trivial to do.
Also Jow Forums allows anonymous posting but also has authentication in place for mods, janitors, admins and the pass users

gist.github.com/dvliman/11264471

>possibly hundreds
Maybe more

a clone is easy
but what would you improve over 4+other chans

The lack of authentication is actually the hard part. Think how much trouble they have over ban evasions and shit.

That said Jow Forums is relatively easy to make, just expensive to maintain.

Well first youd have to break their copyrights and patents and if you did that youd end up with big ol fat law suit

Are you retarded?

Not that hard. I'm working on a clone that detects when the boards here are frozen, dumps all the current Jow Forums discussion to the boards, then locks when posting returns. It's almost 100% compatible with Jow Forums X and clover cuz it spits out a carbon copy of the api too. continuity of shitposting is essential
boards.b4chan.org/g/
the b stands for backup

I'm pretty sure you can just copy and paste the code for an image board somewhere.
ban evasion is a problem on all websites.

we get this thread every week
is a slightly valuable post

the posting stuff is actually finished, it's the scraper i have to write

most of us dont live on thepiratebay downloading nn model collections pedro

be better to create your own than run the copyright lawsuit gauntlent

>not called inb4chan.org
Ya blew it

why do people always say it's easy to do but all the other imageboards are utter garbage

How are they garbage? I haven't used any

>inb4chan.org
well i fucked up

This: Big question is how do you get people to use it? Like how do you get people to sell their old shit on your website that's not named eBay? Or share their video on your not-YouTube service?

When Tetris first got popular, a shit ton of clones came out with *awesomer* features. Big playfield, bigger/weird shaped pieces, etc. They all sucked. other imageboards (at least ones I've been to) add features or make changes that someone thought would be cool, but turns out really doesn't add to the experience or is actually bothersome.

you just need a bunch of mac minis and unlimited internets.

I've probably spent too much time on here and got used to 4chanx with a thread watcher, a gallery, a text mode, and all these features other boards don't have. Those based on vichan are particularly ugly though.
The only other image boards that get a community are centred around a particular niche, Jow Forums and 8ch are just too big to let another general purpose board gain traction. I don't know if that would work for a video sharing site, maybe a specialized site about sports videos or something would gain users