Previous thread: >>65670838

Previous thread: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Your friendly search engine, mailing lists...
>b-but what search engines respect my privacy and freedom of speech?
Try qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage.
>b-but what e-mail providers respect my privacy and freedom of speech?
Try disroot, autistici or aktivix

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Attached: rmsnoam.jpg (1365x859, 196K)

Other urls found in this thread:

commandlinefu.com
krebsonsecurity.com/
security.googleblog.com/
thejh.net/misc/website-terminal-copy-paste
support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02863093
shell-fu.org/lister.php?top
reddit.com/r/netsec
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Installing_Arch_Linux_on_a_USB_key
iterm2.com/images.html).
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Is Slackware worth a try?
anyone tried it out here?

please user I dont have time for arch, let me install manjaro

No. :^)

What are some really useful terminal commands?

rm -rf /*

Worth a try? I guess so, but personally I prefer more powerful package managers.

A couple of Jews that were up to no good,
started making trouble in my neighbourhood.

Slackware is the purest officially maintained packaged GNU/Linux distro available (excluding Linux From Scratch since it is more an instruction set with a multitude of software available than an actual distro). It is an original distro, not forked from a previous. It is primarily managed by its original creator, though he may have recently let one or two others help but I may be wrong. He is a shrewed code reviewer so he generally only lets the bare minimum into his installer with a pretense that is any drivers/binaries/dependancies are needed in the future then the community will code them and make them available. This means that while it is pure, it is also "lacking" however anyone who is new to Linux or anyone who relies on a GUI too heavily should not use it as their distro if they wish to be productive in the near future. However if you want to use it as a means of learning Linux I think it is extremely useful (in some respects even more so than the aforementioned LFS).

Attached: 1505428312816.png (540x750, 421K)

I used to have to visit exhentai to find out which galleries have certain tags but I figured out how to do it with find and grep, feels good desu.

commandlinefu.com

Just got a laptop with GNU/Linux preinstalled and I wanted to update the software.
Thing is, I'm prompted for a password to authenticate though I use no password to login.
What is it that I can do to fix this?

Ask the previous owner? I'd just wipe it clean and reinstall if I were you though.

aosp experience pls respond

Download a new ISO and reinstall. If you aren't prompted for a password to login, god knows what else they have done to make it insecure. You could try sudo passwd root, but it's gonna ask you to authenticate.

People always talk about security. But what's an actual practical scenario where a system is vulnerable and what does that even mean? Like, are you being targetted by a hacker? A virus? What?

just follow the news regarding new vulnerabilities.
usually the exploits in the news would require an attacker to single you out but sometimes it's simpler than that like drupal recently.

krebsonsecurity.com/
security.googleblog.com/

Trying to set up ssh to use gpg-agent.

Is it possible to set it up so that gpg-agent encrypts the ssh keys using one of my gpg keys? I don't want to use my gpg key for ssh authentication, I want to keep my old ssh keys.

I also don't want to just encrypt the ssh keys with a passphrase. I particularly want to encrypt them with my gpg key.

you could write a wrapper script in bash that feeds the gpg decrypted key to ssh.

I think you're missing the point of ssh keys though. You might move your gpg key to another device, but you should never move your ssh key to another device.

SSH is device specific, gpg is identity specific. If you're going to use your identity to log in to a device you might as well not encrypt your ssh key.

>you could write a wrapper script in bash that feeds the gpg decrypted key to ssh.

hm, sounds good. Any pointers how to neatly wrap this up?

> I think you're missing the point of ssh keys though. You might move your gpg key to another device, but you should never move your ssh key to another device.

no, not really. I don't want to use my ssh keys on multiple devices, but rather I want to only have to enter my gpg password once and then use both ssh and zx2c4 pass and other gpg tools without having to enter any passwords until gpg times out.

RTFM it takes

What is the best linux?

Attached: 1523566254785.png (640x502, 77K)

How the fuck do I reset my swap usage after closing everything?

Updating linux-ck since the 4.12 version
In the image is the schedulers i have enabled(all of them). However when i cat the scheduler only noop,deadline and cfq are avalible.When i go to set the default again only those three are avalible. Is there another setting to enalbe bfq im missing for 4.15?

Attached: 2018-04-26-005232_1920x1080_escrotum.png (1920x1080, 54K)

GNU Linux-libre

Attached: 1451764652888.jpg (2488x1657, 3.69M)

hmmm very interesting. If I ssh-add my key to gpg-agent and then encrypt it with the same password as my gpg key then unlocking my ssh key is enough to unlock my gpg key, but not vice versa

I don't think this totally clears it out, but
swapoff -a
swapon -a

I have no idea what distro to use. I tried installing KDE Neon and in an attempt to fix screen tearing via the Settings application I crashed the compositor. Then trying to intsall Ubuntu 18.04 the installer crashed. I'm about to either install Debian or Arch at this point, perhaps leaning towards the latter. At least if that crashes I can blame myself.

If anyone can recommend a distro that isn't gonna turn into a dumpster fire out of the gate, let me know. And if you know how to mitigate the screen tearing with an Nvidia GPU, that would be nice too.

Attached: tumblr_inline_omdcwrGZnR1t5w799_500.png (500x375, 345K)

Any reason you need to compile from source? No device tree for your hardware?

aaand antergos is installing since 5 hours with no end in sight

Dont use an installer for arch.
Boom 15 minute install, maybe 30 if you read and type slow

I tried and it and it went like this.
>ok let's install the wifi drivers
>reads documentation, no idea what to do
>why am I even wasting my time on this, I'm too retarded to install it anyway

Try OpenGL 3.1 in KDE compositor and "Force full composition pipeline" in Nvidia settings, it's in display configuration/advanced.

Screen tearing is not a distro issue. You have the choice of using Nouveau or non-free Nvidia drivers. If neither one of these does what you want it to do, you are shit out of luck. Debian, Fedora, and SuSE are generally considered safe and stable. Unless you're patient and have a second computer where you can bring up a guide, I wouldn't recommend Arch.

Does the Knoppix live CD support those gaymer Killer NICs, specifically the E2400? lspci brings up Atheros e091 so I'm assuming it's that?

Go back to Wingblows and don't ever come to this place anymore.

Attached: gun-pepe.png (469x452, 277K)

>archfag can't recognize obvious bait
Like pottery

sqg -p package-name
sbopkg -i package-name

That's all there is to it with Slackware.

Here's an easy one.
thejh.net/misc/website-terminal-copy-paste

I want to hate Intel for their dirty business practices but I can't deny the fact that they're one of the most Linux friendly tech corps.

Attached: 1516578017474.jpg (267x323, 7K)

echo 3 | sudo tee /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches

I'm looking for a particular distro that would run off a flash drive and preferably only uses the flash drive and RAM memory.

That way I can bring my programming work with me everywhere and get right back where I left during my previous session.

I could plug the flash drive on my home desktop, my laptop or a friend's laptop.

Any idea of a good distro to achieve that simple goal? I tried a Xenialpup, so far it failed me but I might give it an other try later.

Can someone explain to me why Void became so popular?
I used to come on Jow Forums a lot years ago (perhaps 4 or 5) and remember seeing maybe on Void screenfetch, perhaps 2. Now it seems as popular as Arch.
Is it the lack of systemd? Is it LibreSSL?

Can't you just install any distro to a flash drive?

Just thinking off the top of my head, most of pic related is mandatory for basic CLI proficiency.

Attached: cli1.png (790x482, 37K)

Please keep in mind I'm still a noob, relatively speaking. After 8 years of linux use, it would be pretty hard to imagine life on the command line without the above

>inb4 autism, the post

Attached: cli2.png (790x439, 28K)

Apparently some of them are better at doing this than others. Maybe I'll just end up with an Ubuntu distro at the end.

One other question related to this:
If I install the driver of my geforce 1060 from my main desktop, will I still be able to use the flash drive on my laptop like I did before or will it brick it somehow? Basically can I update drivers on every PC so I have a good collection of them without running into problems? Probably a stupid question.

hipster and autism

>run vrms
>80% of installed packages are non-free packages
Is this a bad thing?

I am not sure exactly what situation you are describing, but no. Drivers are host system things that are only loaded on demand. They dont persist on the device or try to load by force.
The only dedicated removable media OS I have used is knoppix, but I don't think that is very cool anymore. Poor Klaus.

What's a gui data recovery tool on linux?

Something like getdataback would be great.

test

left: emacs
right: urxvt
why Inconsolata looks so ugly in urxvt?

Attached: 2018-04-26-111235_865x94_scrot.png (865x94, 30K)

ok, fixed
there was letterSpace: -2

how does one finds out a package name? ex: i'm trying to install virtualbox on my fedora desktop, how does one find the sudo dnf install ??? command?

Attached: 2018-04-26-111946_717x164_scrot.png (717x164, 23K)

share with me confy xfce setups pls, changed from KDE ( that tearing tho )

dnf --help
man dnf

Install dwm.

So I've managed to get avahi working so I can SSH between my PC and laptop in LAN, and I'm looking for something like Teamviewer to control them using GUI.
xrdp seems to create a new X session for each connection - I'm looking to control the main one.
What, you've got tearing on XFCE? Have you turned on the compositor? Just install a decent GTK theme and it looks pretty good

no no no, i had huge amounts of tearing when using KDE plasma 5, thats why i changed :D so far so good

Why can't anyone recommend a photobooth-like program on linux? I've asked like in a billion places.

(my theory is because linux users are virgins and they don't have fun things to do with a gf)

Brainlet here.
Why isn't there anything for linux distros like parallels is for Mac OS?
While using a mac, I could run all of my proprietary garbage korean mmo's with all sorts of crappy anti-cheat systems. I haven't been able ot find anything similar in linux. Also do not have a second video card for the pass-through option. That seems pretty nice but having to dedicate a second display or "streaming" seem like sorta convoluted workarounds.

I already dual boot but want to completely move to it full time. I'm only holding myself back because of a 14 year old korean MMO and Daz Studio. Probably a few other games I've not been able to get going in wine as well.

Attached: 1523528225110.jpg (858x1200, 120K)

will kde run on my old hp?
support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02863093

I ran modern KDE on worse.

whatever happened to wayland? is it usable? is KDE wayland-ready?

shell-fu.org/lister.php?top

when you download and run some software that comes with a "gift" (you could even get backdoored code from, say, github)
when you install a backdoored package/plugin/etc.
when you have vulnerable services exposed to the open internet (say, some shitty PHP/java web service)
when someone exploits a vulnerability in your browser to run malware in your system
there are many examples of these things, but I'm too lazy to google them.

reddit.com/r/netsec is a good resource

$ man bash

Anyone here using an old PC as a home server? I was using my old laptop with a void install, streaming using samba and it was a piece of shit. I'm going to just install debian with a simple DE to simplify things. Anyway I need to be able to

- use it as a file server
- stream media, transcoding not required
- remote desktop

If I don't need transcoding do I even need a streaming program, or can I just use NFS and open media with that? As for using it as a remote desktop, I run a music sharing program that doesn't have a web UI so I have to use the computer itself to manage it. I'd like to be able to do everything from my other computers instead so i have to remote into the desktop. I'm not sure what programs are best for this though.

SSH + some shitty python webserver for serving files + vnc over ssh?

why is firefox keeping my hdd from spinning down

How to remove this from gimps font list?

Attached: forwhatpurpose.png (208x955, 8K)

debian is comfy as fuck

dude cache lmao
dude history and various databases lmao

i turned off disk cache and history saving

You forgot to turn off your autism thou.
FF opens a few other databases/files/possible .so libraries.

shouldn't it stay in the write cache though?

rm -rf /usr/share/fonts
fc-cache -f

Have you disabled your autism?

I don't want to lose a measurable amount of battery life because mozilla has autism over 'muh data write security'
fsync is a meme

it worked!

uh bro spindown is bad for your hdd
ff is doing you a favour by keeping your safe

give it back De'bian

laptop hdds are mean to spin down a lot more

>* Fluency with GNU command line tools.
This is one job application where I won't have to worry about sounding like a neckbeard by putting "GNU/Linux" all over my resume

sorry didn't mean to post link anyone

>KDE wayland-ready?
prob not

gnome is wayland ready but i noticed a little stutter during mpv playback, there is none in weston

for weston see

im sorry for double post but this is driving me crazy and there are no results when i search for answers

how i do to enable file previews in ranger?
xfce4 btw
its not there by default and pressing zp activates it

set preview_files true
set preview_script /.../scope.sh

fucking nothing, unless i press zp, which is annoying

KDE have a weird way to deal with multiple monitors.
You have a different desktop on each screen, and you can set a wallpaper per desktop, thus getting one per screen.
But if you disconnect the monitors and connect the monitors again (or even just reboot) the desktops are randomized.
Is there a way to fix this?

I have a laptop and I run 3 monitors(4 if you count the built in display I turn off) when docked, one when not docked and maybe 2 when I am doing a presentation.
So the situations should be unique even if all we do is count number of monitors available.
Is it possible?

>gnome-calculator interprets log2(8) as 2*log(2*8)

what the living fuck

Attached: Screenshot_2018-04-26_17-06-18.png (554x435, 31K)

I installed arch on a USB fairly easily. Probably can do it on any distro, but the arch wiki has a good guide on the things you need to configure to make it work: wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Installing_Arch_Linux_on_a_USB_key

Where is the documentation for the ctrl+. commands?

Probably depends on your filesystem. Look up recovery tools for a specific filesystem.

$ man bash

Did you set your image method?
# Set the preview image method. Supported methods:
#
# * w3m (default):
# Preview images in full color with the external command "w3mimgpreview"?
# This requires the console web browser "w3m" and a supported terminal.
# It has been successfully tested with "xterm" and "urxvt" without tmux.
#
# * iterm2:
# Preview images in full color using iTerm2 image previews
# (iterm2.com/images.html). This requires using iTerm2 compiled
# with image preview support.
#
# * urxvt:
# Preview images in full color using urxvt image backgrounds. This
# requires using urxvt compiled with pixbuf support.
#
# * urxvt-full:
# The same as urxvt but utilizing not only the preview pane but the
# whole terminal window.
set preview_images_method w3m

Attached: sendai hmm.png (545x543, 349K)

who's this retarded girl, touhou or something?

Kantai Collection

Attached: __sendai_kantai_collection_drawn_by_ica__ccd065148f75f2b7afea05dfb684465d.png (1000x866, 544K)

It should really be called GNU+Linux and not GNU/Linux.

GNU/Stallman approves GNU+Linux and suggest you use that if you say GNU+Linux because spelling GNU/Linux as "GNU Linux" sounds like if Linux was a GNU project when it isn't.

>>gnome-calculator interprets log2(8) as 2*log(2*8)

It doesn't. It interprets it as log(2)*8, which amounts to the same thing, all because you don't have to use the parentheses with the log.

So:
8log2 = 8*log2 = 8*log(2) = log2(8) = log(2)(8) = log2*8 = log(2)*8

The number usually tells you what base you are using.
Log without any base is often base e.
Having log2(8) being interpreted as log10(2)*8 is pretty bad.