/wt/ - Watch Thread: Tudor Edition

Tudor edition.

This thread is about the appreciation of horology, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch, clock, or other timepiece. Replica watches also welcome.

>Required viewing for new people:
youtu.be/CaeRD5GyKHM?t=385

>Thread theme:
youtube.com/watch?v=7yOehoRTbLs

>New watch guide:
Buy a ZF Tudor Black Bay, ideally in red.

>Used watch guide:
pastebin.com/4cP1Tpri

>Strap guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

>Watch essentials 102:
pastebin.com/VBAu4Rwi

previous thread:

Attached: tudor bb.jpg (1024x683, 90K)

Other urls found in this thread:

streamable.com/kfrvs
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Reminder.

Attached: watcht.jpg (808x646, 77K)

>Replica watches also welcome.
No.

They are welcome though.

Sure you are welcome to talk about them just we are also welcome to laugh at you for buying a chink fake.

Xth for CASIO GANG

Attached: casio_ad.png (652x850, 417K)

not him but as opposed to what? chink made seikos?

Alright, I got payed back approx $300. Now I'm just going to walk over to the post and pick it up. How should I show you guys? Should I go:
>wristwatch check (Citizen Crystron 8620)
>show the package
>open package with my knife
>knife check (k55k)
>show the box
>a short, fifty line presentation of the history of the Seiko Tuna
>a brief thirty line essay about the history of the Seiko Monster
>a fifty line dissertation on the history and development of the 4R36
>cotton jewelers glove check (Roamer)
>show the manual, warranty card, tag and anything else they give in the box
>drumroll
>present the watch

Or:

>just post a picture of the thing on my undersized wrist

Attached: srp641k1_03_2.jpg (640x480, 48K)

Are you the magyar user?

Rather wear a genuine Seiko then a fake Tudor

>fake
?

Don't post anything, you already posted a dozen photos of the damn thing over the last few days.

Attached: immunity_casio.png (1500x1500, 610K)

Tudor is so cringe. It's like "look at me I'm a horology nerd and can't afford a new rolex, but it doesn't matter because tudor is rolex for cheapskates"

rather reign in hell then serve in heaven

Attached: 93c45d077bfc04c6311ff17c6b48e5cc.jpg (640x640, 116K)

another day another shitthread. Hiro is right to break Jow Forums every day

I took a break from /wt/ for a while, but coming back I see it’s still shit, brb in a couple months fags

it’s not just /wt/
last 6 months Jow Forums became even shittier, something I didn’t even think was possible, reddit is now officially better than Jow Forums, for all the circlejerking and groupthink at least malicious spam is kept in check

Real Tudor models with the in house movement are great though. Their in house movement is at least the equal of a Rolex 31xx, and Tudors have more of a tool watch aesthetic than modern blinged up Rolex models. Also, maxi cases are pig disgusting.

At least it's not a food analogy.

wheres your fake of this

Attached: ljnim7U.png (750x1334, 1.92M)

The only thing that could fix the avalanche of shitposting is per thread IDs Jow Forums wide, so of course it will never happen. Fucking Hiroshimoot.

Yeah. I'm poor as any Hun.

Make that four fucking weeks.

hello /wt/, my dads 50'th birthday is comming up and im going to buy a watch for him - my budget is around 500-1000$. Would be happy with any recommendations!

Seiko Prospex Divers Solar except unironically

Maybe a votekick system. Like somehow posters in one thread can vote shitheads out? Though just as I'm writing this I'm already thinking of how many ways this can be abused with thread raiding and shit.

What kind of watch does he like?

100 f-91ws

No real prefference, id like it to be mechanical and i think he likes metalic straps.

This

Attached: Casio_F-91W.png (500x529, 187K)

find a flaw
(tip: you can't)

>100 f-91ws
NO

200 fake f91w's

just one then

i'll consider

Casio BEM-506.

Attached: bem-506.jpg (800x556, 65K)

That looks pretty sick

My dad has one. It's maximum dadcore.

Just copped these.

streamable.com/kfrvs

How did I do?

Guy near me has an expensive luxury watch virtually NIB for like 40% off retail price.

Would I be crazy not to snatch it up?
I mean, I'm pretty much guaranteed not to lose a dime if I decide to resell.

Attached: question frogs.jpg (640x560, 58K)

It might be fake.
What watch is it?

I find that nu-Jow Forums is populated by these malicious obsessed shitposters, they’ll stalk a thread for years while knowing nothing and caring nothing about what is being discussed. They’ll make about a 100 posts each thread of forced memes and general shitposting, I find that these types of posters have become a lot more prominent after Jow Forums replaced /b/ as the number one board and we had a big influx of newfags.
In a way it seems that they don’t really understand chan culture but rather take some elements like posting funny maymays and focus too much on them in an autistic way. This is probably the result of too much posters flooding at once, the eternal summer has begun

well is reddit any better?

Back when I proposed to my (now) wife, I jokingly said that she'd have to get me an 'engagement watch' in reciprocation.

She's known, basically ever since we met, that I'm obsessed with watches. My long-standing favourite, up until now, was the Tudor Black Bay Bronze. I love the idea of a watch made from a metal which patinas in a unique way, depending on the wearer's lifestyle. No two patinated watches are the same.

She also knew that another favourite watch of mine, was the Christopher ward C60 Trident Pro 600. Gorgeous watches at an extremely competitive price-point when you consider their ruggedness and movement.

Unbeknown to me, about a month before our wedding date, Christopher Ward released a Bronze version of the C60 Trident Pro 600... and she bought me it as a surprise wedding gift.

By surprise, on the night before our wedding, she presented me with a CW box. Inside, I found the gorgeous timepiece you see in the photo above. I could not be happier with it. It's now been 19 days since we married and the patina is starting to take effect. The bezel is taking on a rich brown hue, and the case is starting to darken too.

When out with my wife shopping last week, we stopped in at a watch shop and compared the C60 Bronze to the Tudor Black Bay Bronze and I can hand-on-heart say that I much prefer the overall look of the CW. Especially the full-bronze bezel.

Thanks for taking the time to read my story. She's a keeper! (So is the wife's son!)

Attached: BYa40aeLrSHqf1HEE25UZOG7CDWwCqtOJRmTU3nlI8Y.jpg (1024x768, 138K)

It has an exhibition case back and a manufactory movement, I'd be able to spot if it's fake when I go pick it up.

New post
[Filson x Shinola] Mackinaw Field Watch. My wife got me an early birthday gift since I start chemo Monday and this will be my third stright birthday on it. I couldn't be happier!

Attached: 3FKuSDUr.jpg (1456x1456, 231K)

reddit is not better because there is no discussion depth there or rather no discussion at all, just empty compliments. Reddit is only good for nice photos. For discussions I suggest forums, for example recently I found a comfy French forum about Russian watches, the added perk of it being in French is the knowledge that most of shitposters on the internet are Americans

Attached: BO0mGDFhwYO-Bpjhi650ihxv_sMNdTLKmxvo87l5-us.jpg (575x767, 77K)

also forums attract more older peole and less millenials, which leads to a discussion rather than a memefest and who can qoute more prick and forty

Attached: uJY7E7S.jpg (1879x2046, 269K)

Reddit is comedy gold.
>So is the wife's son!
Please say you added that yourself.

Attached: RmUgTwC.jpg (2078x2668, 331K)

Thats looks fucking awesome. Is the case back also bronze?

You are going to have to tell us a lot more about what kind of watch he likes before you could get a useful suggestion.

Nah, a per thread ID system would be enough to let you just hide all the permatrolls every thread.

This is dead on as a diagnosis.

Attached: 3h2hjtnlfrt01.jpg (1536x1869, 278K)

gamergate, trump, and not moderating /b/ for low brow instagram fap threads, as well as people sticking to their generals are to blame

I like it. I definitely doesn't look as big as the numbers would suggest (47mm across), but it kinda feels like I'm dragging a boat anchor tied to my arm.

I already took off the shroud to take a look at it, it's probably aluminum and not titanium or ceramic. Also the Prospex logo isn't really as prominent as the nitpicking autists here cry out every time Seiko moves a watch over to the Prospex line, but maybe because it's in dark gold instead of white. Either way I like it, and apparently the girls like it too.

Attached: IMG_20180426_145203_HDR.jpg (3264x2448, 1.06M)

47mm dial you mean or lug to lug?

someone called the little circle on the inside of these kinds of watches a "cuck ring" and now i cant enjoy them as much

Attached: PPbYL7pr.jpg (1456x1374, 193K)

>the Prospex logo isn't really as prominent as the nitpicking autists here cry out
Sure it is.

Not bad, even in picture it doesn't look that huge. Now just swap the bezel.
Does it have jap day indicator too?

Case horizontally across. Lug to lug is about 50-51mm. The dial is about the same as a Seiko 5 dial though, crystal is just a little bit wider than a Seiko 5, because of the chapter ring. The 4R36 is based on the 7S series after all, which in turn is a direct evolution of the old Daini 7000 series.

>"oh my god this 2x2mm symbol on the dial is BURNING MY FUCKING EYES OUT"
Are you one of those people who can only step on the white parts of a crosswalk and get violent when their lego bricks aren't stacked up in order? I.e. a fucking autistic tard?

The X is hideous, and it's right there on the dial.

>can only step on the white parts of a crosswalk
I always try to do this, but I can never synchronize my step

M A L L C O R E
A
L
L
C
O
R
E

Why do people actually whine more about shit posting in /wt/ than there are actual shit posts?

>Why do people actually whine more about shit posting in /wt/ than there are actual shit posts?

Attached: 1524362327060.png (477x590, 640K)

Attached: poljot.jpg (500x369, 22K)

No, it's English/Spanish. It's a kinda interesting story. I got this from Japan on a Yahoo.jp auction, but according to the watches papers this was bought as a gift (it had a gift receipt) on March 18th in New Jersey.

So someone bought a watch in NJ for someone in Japan who didn't like it and sold it in a week. Maybe he didn't like that it's folded a thousand times tamahagane case was tainted by gaijin hands, or that it had a barbarian day-wheel.

Or maybe it was just too large for his asian onions-wrists.

Like I said it's less than 2x2mm and in dark golden brown. I didn't even notice it at first until the tag reminded me that this is a watch from the Prospex lineup. Like I said, terminal autism.

Attached: IMG_20180426_145157_HDR.jpg (3264x2448, 1.23M)

square paliots are trash

>I didn't even notice it at first
riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight

You play pretend all you want, I'm staying the fuck away from any X-emblazoned shitter.

Japs don't mind oversized watches, my boy. I can understand if he just didn't like it (lmao monster bezel) or because of day indicator.
>this much shittaste
I haven't seen it in person but he's pretty visible on pictures. I'm not this autistic though so I wouldn't care that much.

What are you getting your mom for mothers day? I'm getting the solar seiko tank. My mom just gave me a similar (shitter) watch to change the battery on and I'm gonna surprise her

Attached: IMG_4294.jpg (736x581, 73K)

>have first hand experience on said thing
>"I HAVE DELIBERATELY AVOIDED THING ALL MY LIFE"
>"BUT I PUT MY OPINION OVER YOUR FIRST HAND EXPERIENCE"
Jesus, kid.

I have first-hand experience with X dials too.

I wanted to buy it for my mum, but she didn’t like it and she wanted a watch on a bracelet so I got her a Skagen, she really liked it even though I’m pretty sure the dial is made of literal paper

Looks far too tacticool and mall-y for me.looks like you bought this for about $80 from Fossil.

Also you do realize that the watch isn't two meters in diameter, that's just you looking at my 8MP picture at 100% scale. It's actually only 47mm across. So not that noticeable irl.

Also I kinda like the Prospex logo. It's an X made out of an S and a P, it's kinda neat. Now, you can say what you wanted.

Sure you do.

Shop shoo cancer goblin shoo

It's literally a tool-watch diver. Or actually more like an homage to the companies actual big-boy tool-diver that I'm too poor to afford.

Attached: tuna_7549.jpg (688x1000, 76K)

I guess no one else itt loves their mom

Ooohhhh so it’s pro specs as in Professional Specifications but also like Prospects.
Wtf I love Seiko now

It looks good with a proper bezel and hands.

Attached: Seiko-Prospex-1978-S23626J1.009.jpg (1250x834, 158K)

>Also I kinda like the Prospex logo. It's an X made out of an S and a P, it's kinda neat. Now, you can say what you wanted.
More power to you.
To me it looks like the logo for an edgy gaming console.
It's an incredibly poor design choice that instantly cheapens any watch dial it touches.
Fucking "X".

This has a much better little symbol.

How often do you need to change the capacitor on these seikos? Isn’t it worth just having a battery which will last 8 years?

>Also I kinda like the Prospex logo. It's an X made out of an S and a P
Yeah.
Because nothing says professionalism like abbreviating "specifications" as "spex", and then using the "x" from spex as the fucking logo to plaster all over your products in the most visible location possible.

Nice. Now you need a nice rubber strap.

It's for corrosion resistance and legibility.

I offered my mom to hunt down and restore for her some vintage ladies high-beat, but she just wears a shitty chink Mi-Band.

I think that's titanium-nitride. But that's also uses a lot as a base layer for gold-plating.

Attached: xiaomi-mi-band-2-04.jpg (546x546, 65K)

The gold accents are from the nitriding Seiko applied to its titanium hardware for the first quartz Tuna back in the 70s.
It happened to yield that gold color, but it was purely practical.

iirc that was the first time titanium was used in a watch too.

I used to think rotating bezels actually did something, like they tied into the movement, would slowly ratchet back to 12 o'clock and sound an alarm or something like that. My disappointment when I found out the truth was so great it has ruined diver watches for me forever

I think so, yeah. It's supposed to be a modern version of the original tuna after all. Looks better than shiny gold.

>tfw love the tuna dearly but I'm a wristlet

Attached: 1518255240122.jpg (1024x962, 67K)

Unironically thinking of getting this
Found it for 150€ and looks pretty good, also it was a limited series and i'm a fan of the DC universe (as a whole, not only the movies)
What's the general opinion on Police's watch?

Attached: 14536jq02p-1506079722-3267.jpg (1200x1200, 183K)

wrist size?

Well there was this, but this was a space watch, so it's probably kinda overpriced for an old Jap digital.

Attached: A829-6020 NASA.jpg (600x600, 50K)

Kinda like how I used to think rifle cartridges contained several bullets.
I mean, how else do they shoot so many in the movies when there's only like 30 in a magazine?

Quilted for twice the absorbing power.

>Every breath you take, every move you make, every bond you break, every step you take

I'll be watching