/pcbg/ - PC Building General

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and _monitor_ suggestions; click on the blue title to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>Learn how to build a PC (You can find a lot more detailed videos on channels like Bitwit)
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g
>How to install Win7 on Ryzen
pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1

If you want help:
>State the budget & CURRENCY for your build
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs:
>NO Core i7/5/3 7000 series. THEY ARE DEFUNCT AND SUPERSEDED BY COFFEE LAKE
>NO Ryzen 1000 series. THEY ARE DEFUNCT AND SUPERSEDED BY THE RYZEN 2000 SERIES
>R3 2200G - Bare minimum gaming WITH/WITHOUT a graphics card (Low end)
>R5 2600X - Great gaming or multithreaded use CPU (Mid range)
>R7 2700X - Best gaming CPU / VM Work / Streaming / Video editing (High end)
>TR 1950X/Used Xeon - VM Work / Streaming / Video editing (HEDT)

RAM:
>Current CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3000-3200 MHz is ideal
>Before buying RAM for Ryzen, check your Mobo's QVL or look for user reports

Graphics cards:
>Crypto-Currency miners have driven GPU prices up (particularly Radeon)
1080p
>MSRP of standard 1080p cards: 1050Ti, 140USD; 1060 3GB, $200; 1060 6GB, $230; RX 570 4GB, $170; RX 580 4GB, $200
>GTX 1070 if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
1440p
>GTX 1070/Ti and 1080 are standard choices; currently overpriced
>GTX 1080Ti if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
2160p (4K)
>GTX 1080Ti

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>A 240GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor

Previous:

Attached: 1444127632999.jpg (362x332, 103K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/P4Tmkd
pcpartpicker.com/list/VQW9NQ
pcpartpicker.com/trends/price/video-card/
pcpartpicker.com/list/wRBrr6
au.pcpartpicker.com/list/zmDz7W
pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1
pcpartpicker.com/list/mv3RTB
newegg.com/global/uk/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16814487260
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I love how there's no recommended Intel chips now.

>Used Xeon

pcpartpicker.com/list/P4Tmkd
why the heck is there no ryzen cpu
the 8700k and z370 is just a reference
switch that to a 2700x and a gaming 5 470
i'm playing games like skyline,battlefield 4 and total war

nigger what?

>didn't see there was a new thread before posting in the old one
Fuck, okay, I'll redo it here.
Friend of mine is on an FX6300, wants to upgrade, but is poor, so I'm trying to show him that Ryzen really isn't that expensive in reality.
Pic related was a quick thrown together parts list at Centrecom (Australia), because he lives nearby one, and would more than likely buy from there.
Is there any point in buying 3000+ MHz RAM if he's limited by budget? Try and cut some costs by buying ~2400MHz? I'd imagine he'd probably try and sell it to be able to afford it, if he even buys into it.
From what I know, he's on a GTX 1050, 12GB DDR3, and a generic Asus low-end motherboard for the FX6300. Aside from that, I have no idea what else. The video card is fine by him.

Attached: centrecum.png (1284x449, 64K)

Don't forget StoreMi.

Just email AMD support about it. They should fix you up.

Get Crucial Ballistix Sport. At least in the USA, their 2666 is cheap, 1.2v, and dual rank.
Also 2x4GB is probably enough RAM if he's on a budget..?

i couldnt pick ryzen 2 in the selection

Amdrones in full force that's why. 8700k still all around better for gaming. Anandtech redone their charts.

Are you sure his pc is being bottlenecked by CPU? Not an FX expert but some research tells me the 1050 could actually be the bottleneck there. Either put money into a noticeable upgrade or don't at all. Maybe an SSD will help him more if he doesn't have one.

pcpartpicker.com/list/VQW9NQ
Works on my machine

Even soy8400 is still better

\
why spend 1000 dollars on a $700 gpu?

Attached: 1501105093942456654.png (429x459, 28K)

I just swapped out to a Ryzen CPU as they guy said he was having problems with.
Don't ask me.

its a reference
im waiting for the 1180 ti

Let's be real. While the 8700k is indeed the best for gaming, the 8400 is pure shit. It's an overpriced 6core with no hyper threading that does 5 more FPS in most games and can't be overclocked. A decently OC'd 2nd gen Ryzen puts the 8400 in a corner for the same price or lower, while having more cores.
Saying that the 8400 is better than anything is laughable. Get real kid.

literally 5% better at the expense of clockspeed, power consumption, thermals, shit TIM, Not applying HPET and spectre/meltdown patches, no stock cooler. Woah amd surely btfo

I've never built a PC before and I have a question that may seem odd.

I'm a poorfag but will be receiving a nice lump sum of money later this year. Is it worth it to wait until Black Friday / Cyber Monday deals to purchase PC parts? My current total cost is right at $1000 but if I can get muh savings I will definitely wait.

Again, I have no frame of reference for this sort of thing so forgive me if I'm just being a sperg.

Attached: 1431660054057.png (182x179, 40K)

>wait until Black Friday / Cyber Monday deals to purchase PC parts?
the situation with ram/gpus isnt going to get any worse so sure

The only parts you'll really (hope) to save on by waiting for those days are GPUs/RAM but those may change price naturally (GPU is on a downward trend, RAM is upward).

If you can reuse a GPU in the meantime you can build a mostly complete system for all but GPU related tasks. RAM should be bought now as for the upward trend.

Dont buy a gpu gpu right now. You can buy the rest.

Well of course dummy. If you can wait and have the patience to snatch up those deals, you'll get more value from your money, that much is obvious. The question is, do you REALLY want to wait until then?

Plus, RAM and GPUs are expensive as fuck already. Who knows if or when they'll come down.

I'm in Australia and want a graphics card. However, I've got a total of about ~$150 to spend. I can't "just save".
How fucked am I?
How do I get a video card? Used 970/980? Kill someone and steal it? I'd suck dick for money, but I like dick too much to charge to suck.

Is there any difference between 2400/2666/3000 rams for gaymen?

Not inherently, no. But Ryzen performance does benefit from it, so you may benefit in games.

If you want an anecdote: Back in the day benched my Ryzen 1600 with Passmark at 2133 and 3000 dual channel. The difference was at least 500~800 points (10k something to 11k something) overall.

Yes. 3000 ram is going to be about 6-9% faster than 2400 in games on average, no matter the CPU. Especially poorly programmed games.
That only Ryzen benefits from faster memory and bandwidth is a meme perpetrated by shill lying youtubers. There's plenty of tests to debunk this.

I've noticed negligible difference between my RAM running at its' stock 2400 CAS15 (15, 16, 16, 31) & slight overclock of 2666 CAS 14 (14, 14, 14, 29). Ryzen 5 1400 @ 3.7GHz, if it matters. Subjectively, no, unless you get some 3200, CAS14.

well, shit: what's the best alternative to a R5 2400g seeing as that doesn't support Windows 7? I know 2600 is the obvious answer but if I have to buy a GPU now I don't know if I'll still have the funds. I guess 1st Gen Ryzen will work but I'm wondering if there's something else there that I'm missing

>doesn't support
x86/x86_64 is the same shit, get out with this "doesn't support" bullshit. You have to jump through hoops to use it yes, but it's not NOT supported.

And you're correct you are missing something, the "How to install Win7 on Ryzen" in the OP. If it's Vega/iGPU related sure, but maybe ditch 7.

>5% better
Try 25-30% in some titles without gpu bottleneck
>at the expense of clockspeed
Is it a bad thing now? Should every other cpu be underclocked just because AMD cpus can't reach high frequencies?
>power consumption
Same as r7 2700x
>shit TIM
Checked
>HPET
It's not forced, and don't need to be
>spectre/meltdown patches
They're applied in every test
>no stock cooler
Check

Just two of your assumptions are valid. Ryzen is great for mixed use, but loses in pure gayming performance. Deal with it, stop rejecting reality.

Nah, Raven Ridge just straight up doesn't support W7 or 8.1. At all. BSOD stuff. Fairly certain it's more than just Vega but i could be wrong. In any case the whole reason for me picking it was so I wouldn't have to buy a GPU just yet. Pinnacle is fine out but RR is just shut out

And no Windows 10 shit in this house. Obviously I'll have to jump sometime but the later the better

Rock Linux then.

I'm using it for more than just gaming, though - I'm doing music production as well and if you're using a VST that's actually any good it's fairly unfunctional through VMs, if not from a performance perspective then from the fact there's only USB. Trust me, if I could just do passthrough and be done with it I'd do that.

As expected, black screen on initial boot. Do I:
1. Ask ASUS for a new mobo with updated BIOS?
2. Ask AMD for a boot kit?
3. Ask my local computer shop if I can loan a “boot kit” for cheap?

Ryzen boots three times for the first time afaik. You should wait at least 5 mins before making conclusions.

Is there hope for lower priced graphics cards now that the hobbyist miners are realizing they're literally burning money and destroying the planet?

pcpartpicker.com/trends/price/video-card/

I need an opinion. Looking for 27, 1440p monitor.
I play some games, but nothing extremely competitive. No money limit.
I'm not planning to upgrade my pc in the next 2-4 years, and I can't play games at 60 fps now, let alone +100.
Would it be dumb, to buy this high end acer now, and be prepared for the future when I finally get some nice pc to match it? Or should I just buy some cheaper 27 1440p (if so, tell me which one) and eventually replace it once I get the money for an upgrade?

Attached: i-acer-27-predator-xb271hubmiprz-um-hx1ee-005.jpg (1400x1045, 79K)

fuck I forgot to mention, it has to be IPS, I don't game a whole lot, I work a lot though on a computer. 144hz is not a must

You're putting the cart before the horse. Bee urself.

You don't future proof, you just temporarily expand the gap. You'll feel the benefits of a capable computer now than half-assing your monitor usage until then.

>gaming
lol no, not for anyone who likes to stream and that's pretty much everyone. The 8700k outputs something that looks more like a slideshow than a videostream while the Ryzen 2700X can produce nice gameplay and a nice stream no problem. It also comes down to value, locally the Ryzen 7 2700X is about $50 cheaper than the 8700k which makes it a no-brainer. If the 8700k is cheaper in your area then it's a different story.

>Try 25-30% in some titles without gpu bottleneck
2700x with sanic fast ram is 94% on average of a 8700k in gaymes and obliterates it in everything else tho

>paying for fast ram to match slow ram
lmao amd

>some titles
Shit console ports tha run like shit on everything?

>Is it a bad thing now? Should every other cpu be underclocked just because AMD cpus can't reach high frequencies?
more clockspeed = more power = more heat

>Same as r7 2700x
try 50% on stock

>Checked
not an argument

>They're applied in every test
HPET not enabled = patches not enabled

Stop shilling you make yourself way to obvious.

I'm on an HP ZR24w right now. Good monitor for the time, but old now.
I keep wanting to upgrade, but monitors have just been super shit.
I'd say get a decent refurbished panel for now until monitor makers can get their shit together and offer something worth buying.

If you had to buy one now, AOC seems to be coming out with good new models for the price.

>not for anyone who likes to stream and that's pretty much everyone.
The majority of gamers do not stream. Sure a lot of people do, but you're talking about millions of people. Not saying the Ryzen chips aren't great for streaming, but c'mon man. That's a stretch.

>Same as r7 2700x
8700k power consuming on gaming is like double.
It's only when both have all threads working 100% that they have around the same power consumption.
Half power consumption for 95% the same gaming performance is pretty good.

>Awful big case for what you're putting in it.
Yeah I'm investigating other cases right now, I reevaluated the space I need.
>Don't buy a gpu right now
I downgraded myself to a 1060 6GB because I think the 1080 will be a waste for me. I'll try and hold off until GPU prices are better though.
>Ram
I followed your advise and switched to ripjaw V ram but I'll do more research in regards to matching specific ram for the 2700X. I also have lowered my ram down to 16GB because I think I was just being dumb going for 32GB, just because I could. I'm really trying to curb wasting money like that however I also know for what I want some stuff is just expensive.
>Microphone
Like the microphone setup I want. Sorry but quite frankly I don't believe your claim of getting a good broadcasting quality microphone for $50. In fact based on my research for the type of quality I want I've reallocated a significant amount of my budget towards a proper microphone set-up. I'm really looking at getting home recording studio levels of quality in microphone recordings.
>Monitor
I think I'm just going to say fuck it on getting a better monitor to be honest. I just don't have the budget to get a proper monitor setup like I'd want right now.

pcpartpicker.com/list/wRBrr6

In regards to the hotswap storage should I go for an internal hot swapping bay that I stick in the 5.25 drive bays or would it be okay to go with an external drive bay? I have a decen't amount left in my budget for some sort of back-up solution.

I want to assemble a small form factor PC for the living room. Mainly used for streaming movies and music from my Desktop computer, Netflix, Youtube, etc and to play Steam games over the LAN streaming thing, so no need for a powerful GPU or anything.

Should I go for a Ryzen APU? Any case recommendations? I want it to be as discrete and portable as possible.
I'm thinking 2200G with 4GB DDR4, an SSD I already have and a 320 motherboard.

Attached: tumblr_mhh84wKVbl1s02x4ao1_1280.jpg (1280x1315, 108K)

Get a 1080ti in the next 1-2 months, now that prices are falling, or wait for a 1180 non-founders to be available?

What's the go-to move here?

Attached: 1535.png (256x256, 53K)

Miners gonna get them both anyway. Bitcoins usually going upward in later half of the year.

Since there's no official 1180 announcement we don't know how long it'll be till it gets here. Could be Q3 or Q4 for all we know. So I guess it depends on how soon you need a GPU.

I move between my grandparents' & my girlfriends' places fairly frequently.
I haven't built a computer in about 6 years, and that was a full ATX system, and that's now with my younger brother.
Currently got au.pcpartpicker.com/list/zmDz7W as a list. I only really wanted case suggestions. I can't think of a really portal one. I'd base the PSU on the choice of case, of course. Specs based somewhat on deals I've found locally.
Will be used for some light gaming & movie watching while in bed with my girlfriend, or setting it up to run movies for when I'm over my grandparents' place.
Any recommendations are appreciated. Any replies calling me gay are appreciated.

this, if your going intel, go big and get or 8700k, if not get ryzen. getting a 6 core with out smt or overclocking is fucking retarded

Soon™

Attached: Screenshot_2018-04-26_12-58-46.png (603x182, 30K)

>>How to install Win7 on Ryzen
>pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1
Are there any instability issues or is Microsoft doing this out of spite? I'm talking about the updates part, clearly not the USB 3.0 part.

absolutely disgusting

at least get something good like a 8700k

I want to replace this entire thing rather than just upgrading the gpu and ssd and overclocking the cpu

I want to go absolute high end, have $3000 reserved for next year

what can I sell this thing for? $400?

Attached: specs.jpg (541x420, 49K)

Literally a brainlet to be honest. I hope you enjoy spending $100 more for your increased 1080p fps in select meme games like CS-GO. You buy a 8700k and you get.
>Higher FPS in games that aren't GPU blocked which is basically just easy to run 1080p games that you want to get 144Hz for some reason.
>You basically have to buy an expensive aftermarket cooler.
>You might as well pay for a delidding service because intel has cucked you out of having a soldered heat spreader in order to save 4 cents on manufacturing costs.
>All of these costs equate to maybe a 10%-15% increase in CPU performance with overclocking at a price increase of about 40% of the CPU cost.
>Even after all the overclocking it still has smaller/worse cache design making it less snappy and responsive for general desktop use
>Even after all the overclocking it still is shittier at multithreaded workstation tasks
>Even after spending all that money you'll have to replace your mobo along side your cpu whenever you want to upgrade because intel makes a new chipset for every single cpu release now

Intel's business model is ACTUALLY based around exploiting retards and children and I implore you to reconsider and objectively look into the benefits of each manufacturer before you make your decision. There are definitely use cases where the i7-8700k is the better choice but there are a lot of things that you're overpaying for without getting even an enthusiasts benefit out of it.

actually the 8700k is only $35 more than the 2700x right now on Newegg for me

keep shilling though, pajeet

got em good with replying to exactly one point that only a poorfag would care about instead of the 6 others

You forgot the watercooling in the price tag.

You need to include the cost of buying a cooler since the intel cooler can basically only run the card at stock speeds with light turboboosting.

That'll be plus delidding & aftermarket cooler and tip (of the foreskin that Intel will take form you), goyim.

8700k doesn't even include a stock cooler.

Oof.
Didn't you reinforce user's point that
>Intel business model is ACTUALLY based around exploiting retards
by ignoring the motherboard, delid, and cooler costs and only citing the CPU cost?

Nah you are retarded the 8700k is a housefire and the 8400 is cool and comfy. Overclocking is a meme when you are over 70c under load, its not worth it.

Does mining still use GPUs? will we ever see MSRP cards in the near future or are we fucked?

Thinking of getting a new GPU, but going to wait for these alleged price drops, what should I get? Is there much point in upgrading anything else?

Attached: specs.png (737x557, 44K)

>Is there much point in upgrading anything else?
it really depends on what you do with your computer.

Want to build pc but for hackintosh
intel required
freesync monitor already there
budget $2000

Prepare to disappoint.
Criptocurrency has dropped significantly, but it's STILL very profitable to mine it.
What's happening now is that miners are holding on buying new hardware.
If prices stabilize, even at current levels, we're fucked.

Mainly gaming, going to get round to ripping and encoding all my DVDs and trying get more into VR so going to get a case that's easier to move.

Man, Intel really is going to need help. Right now, the only choice for really anything is a Ryzen chip. If you're literally only gaming, nothing else, literally, I can see the appeal of an Intel chip. But anything else, Ryzen destroys it, especially for workstation stuff, or productivity... or streaming, or desktop use... well, everything. I'd get a 2700x over a 8700k any day.

thats not a plus for the 8700k lmao

>4690k
You're already bottlenecking your R9 390, mate.
No wonder you think you need an upgrade. That GPU is still plenty for every game at 1080p today but the CPU is not.

Whats a good way to get external storage for on site back-ups. I'm going to stop pretending I have some special use case that will make it so I need high performance read and write speeds or off-site access or anything like that. Basically here's what I want to be able to do and I'd like advice on how to achieve it. It doesn't have to be all with one solution, I'd just like all of them fixed in some form in a practical way that you would recommend to someone as the smart thing to do. If one of the things isn't easily fixable then I'm also fine with just being told to give up on that particular thing because it isn't worth the hassle.

>store a backup windows recovery
>have around 4TB of data that is accessible from my PC for watching anime
>If it's also accessible on some form of tablet, or a thinkpad, or something like that it would be even cooler
>redundancy for around 500GB or more, but it doesn't have to be the full 4TB, this is for programming projects, audio files, assets, (my pepe collection) etc. When I say redundancy this could mean on-site redundancy via a raid storage solution, or it could be something like microsoft onedrive, or it could even be something like a git-repository for the code, however I don't really program with other people on projects it's more for personal code-bases.

I have a budget of around $500 for this but obviously if I don't need that much I'd rather save money if possible.

i thought they're moving out of using GPUs and using something else for mining?

Hey guys, I posted in the previous thread and modified a couple of things.

>Cost
Around $1500
>Use case
Going to run linux but will run Windows in WM (for PS, AI, maybe UE4), mostly everyday shit + image editing/design/tablet drawing, gaming is distant second, although want to be able to run some recent games (probably only Insurgency: Sandstorm)

I am pretty sure I'm 90% there, but I have some questions:

>Build:
pcpartpicker.com/list/mv3RTB

>The RX580 4GB and RX570 8GB are similarly priced, is it better to go for 570-8GB or 580-4GB, specifically, is the improvement from 570>580 better than getting more RAM? I have the 580-8GB picked out, but if the 570 is comparable I might consider it. Want to have more options. (No Nvidia por favor)

>PCpartpicker has power draw at almost 400W, I have a 550Gold selected, is the 150W enough overhead? This is my first build and I want it to last, I will gladly drop 50/100+ on a PSU if it is REALLY worth it.

Any other recs and tips if I'm wasting money on something or similar are welcomed,
Thanks.

Attached: Parts.png (1161x667, 118K)

The so-called ASICS aren't that much more energy efficient than current graphics cards.
Sure, they're amortized earlier because they're much cheaper, but it really depends on actual availability.
Not sure they can keep up with mainstream GPU vendors.

>P7P55D Deluxe
Holy shit I had that motherboard. It was shit.

It's not running at stock OC, can't remember what it's at but it's definitely over 4.
Anyway since I've not updated my CPU in so long, I'm unaware as to what the current recommended CPU is.
I also have to spend slightly more effort getting current CPUs to run on W7 without issue, right?

Attached: Kuuga Thumbs.webm (1138x640, 2.43M)

newegg.com/global/uk/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16814487260

Worth?

Even a 5GHz 6600k with DDR4 memory is enough to be a stutterfest on an RX580 or GTX 1060 in many newer games.
So again, why do you think the 4690k is enough, and your GPU is what needs upgraded, when that's much weaker than said 6600k?

fuck, i thought it'd get easier. fucking miners.

>So again, why do you think the 4690k is enough, and your GPU is what needs upgraded, when that's much weaker than said 6600k?
Nigga what are you smoking, the 6600k is not noticeably better than 4690k.

Don't listen to this AMDrone. The 4690k is perfectly good for modern games with a decent GPU. It probably score higher than the new Ryzen at single core performance.
Get a 1080 and you'll good.

Agreed, 4C 4T cpus are a thing of the past.
It wasn't the case before, but they're now clearly inferior to every hyper-threading part out there.

I'm pretty sure the fans on my GPU are busted, check the temps on my screenshot, that's running idle.

I only assumed 4690k was enough as it was enough at the time and whenever I brought up potentially upgrading my CPU, people have said it's more than acceptable, like I said I've not updated my shit in so long that I don't know what I'm missing out on.

That's lower than msrp you wank! What are you waiting for!!!!

Attached: images (5).jpg (300x250, 8K)

>I'm pretty sure the fans on my GPU are busted, check the temps on my screenshot, that's running idle.
Nah that's just the reason you don't buy amd cuck

>Tfw literally only lurk various boards and play oldfag and open source games like AoE2 and Diablo 2, OpenTTD, Doom etc.
>Still have a 2700x and a 1080ti

Why didn't i just settle for a 2400g...

Attached: 1522873778590.jpg (240x240, 14K)

>(Pricing excludes VAT)
It's more like £250 desu

>guy running AMD (although an older model) in
>temps are half

Opps. Its still bloody well the cheapest its ever been for the past few months and the next few to come anyways.
Msrp is $235

Bumping from the old thread with some questions.
>is the AOC monitor too much chink compared to the asus counterpart which is 60€ more expensive?
>what's the difference beetween that gigabyte 1080 and more expensive ones which costs more €€? OC aside.
>worth it to switch the 850 evo to the 860, and also is the m.2 solution worth the extra money?

Anyway thanks for the tips much appreciated.

>do an entirely new build 6 years ago
>don't play many demanding PC games, just emulated a fuckload

Attached: it can't be helped - Haruhi.png (664x602, 315K)

The only games that will be bottlenecked by that CPU are games that aren't GPU bottlenecked. You don't need to upgrade your CPU, fake news. If your were going to upgrade I'd suggest the 2700X over the 8700k though for basically the same reasons. The single core performance isn't worth the cost of aftermarket coolers, delidding, having to replace your mobo, and having worse performance on basically every other task.

Download MSI Afterburner and check the CPU usage while playing the most demanding games you have. I would consider Ryzen 2600x/2700x for the upgrade

Its cause the looks at his CPU idle. His cooling isn't as good. Maybe region too. Plus the card shit. You don't need fans for idle full stop