What is the best "just works" linux distro?

What is the best "just works" linux distro?

The fact is, majority of linux OSs aren't feasible alternatives to windows or Mac, as they are nearly as "plug n play"

I would much rather be able to download an installer with a GUI than spend 30 minutes troubleshooting an installer in terminal, only to get strange errors messages and never knowing if something actually installed properly or not.

I will always have my certain distros for tinkering, but a good distro thats easy to use would be optimal for daily, casual use.

>inb4 install gentoo

give me a serious reason to install gentoo if that is going to be your answer

Attached: 1520952975966.jpg (1920x1080, 329K)

>What is the best "just works"
windows

I feel like there is room between windows 10 botnet and arch linux

Installing Ubuntu on my ThinkPad X220 was legit easier than reinstalling a fresh copy of macOS on my 2017 MacBook Pro.

Ubuntu is the answer user-kun

do you recommend the latest version of Ubuntu?

Ubuntu or Mint are both equally easy to install as windows and take very little setup time.

Opensuse.

I'm using 16.04 (i think)

you know, I've used ubuntu and manjaro, and manjaro was the best "just works" until it broke itself after an update.
meanwhile on ubuntu things didn't work properly, and the OS stopped working entirely after I tried to make it work.

There's a friendly linux thread and a stupid question thread. Is it really necessary to make another thread for this?

Ubuntu. Just download whatever they recommend from their website.

I tried posting in multiple threads, but Jow Forums was too busy shitposting to acknowledge a legitimate question

I would rather get as many opinions as possible anyway

As aleady said, ubuntu should be on of the most user friendly for your 1st distro, so get the one you most like, I'd try mate

Nah fuck Ubuntu. Systemd is cancer. Check out MX Linux - 100% "just works", easy installation, fast, everything a noob could ask for, and shitstemd-free.

1.Ubuntu
2.Debian

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Attached: 1518393803043.jpg (459x443, 218K)

Mint

Eh, I'm using it but their custom gui apps, like the MX package manager and a few other things, are buggy as hell and lock up frequently. (I use aptitude anyway but I figured I'd at least give them a try.) I'm not sure I'd recommend it to a total noob, though it's a really nice debian+xfce-systemd setup.

Unironically ubuntu. It just werks

I'd stay away from 18.04 until the first Point Release in June i think.

Anything in the Ubuntu line is fine. However I strongly recommend Mint Mate 18.3 or Ubuntu Mate as it will be extremely easy from the start.

For me it's linux mint.

I'm terribly sorry for interjecting another moment, but what I just told you is GNU/Linux is, in fact, just Linux, or as I've just now taken to calling it, Just Linux. Linux apparently does happen to be a whole operating system unto itself and comprises a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Most computer users who run the entire Linux operating system every day already realize it. Through a peculiar turn of events, I was misled into calling the system "GNU/Linux", and until now, I was unaware that it is basically the Linux system, developed by the Linux project.

There really isn't a GNU/Linux, and I really wasn't using it; it is an extraneous misrepresentation of the system that's being used. Linux is the operating system: the entire system made useful by its included corelibs, shell utilities, and other vital system components. The kernel is already an integral part of the Linux operating system, never confined useless by itself; it functions coherently within the context of the complete Linux operating system. Linux is never used in combination with GNU accessories: the whole system is basically Linux without any GNU added, or Just Linux. All the so-called "GNU/Linux" distributions are really distributions of Linux.

Attached: richard-m-stallman-belfast.jpg (1766x2288, 527K)

Hannah Montana Linux

Attached: hannah montana linux.png (800x600, 164K)

the epitome of ricing

debian stable with MATE or XFCE4
not what i use or would suggest to someone more familiar with computers, but there's a reason it's called 'stable'
kde/gnome3 may be more 'modern', but they too heavily focus on features over stability (well, gnome3 is more like less of both, but that's a bit of an anomaly)

might add ubuntu lts to that as well
since a lot of things provide ubuntu-specific packages/intructions, that can make some things easier to figure out

Been using Antergos Linux + Gnome

>Arch-derivative
>fuck-easy install
>very lightweight
>just werks

Attached: 1524519976154.jpg (880x587, 118K)

Which is the best for customizing your desktop to look awesome enough to post in a Desktop thread?

Kubuntu?

Attached: 1480808142574.png (1920x1080, 1.64M)

It depends on you.

gentoo

Linux is not an OS.

Ubuntu Budgie.

I’m installing Ubuntu 18 right now.

Pop!_OS

yeah its all good.

My right click on my touchpad stopped working after I “upgraded” to Ubuntu 18.04.

just install gentoo or trisquel

Nothing just works now days with all the added bloat.

Supposedly Mint should be very user friendly, but I haven't tried it.
My main distro is Ubuntu 17.10 at the moment, but I also tried Elementary OS and it's pretty cool.
Both of them are pretty user friendly in my opinion, but I'm also an autistic nerd so my opinion isn't worth much.

Try and ask the same question there yourself. If you're lucky enough not to get ignored, see the snarky responses you'll get and some which will give you the complete opposite of what you're looking for because of their toxic behavior and "I'm too smart for you".

What is the whole purpose of Linux? If you're not working on data centre admin or advanced networking than I really don't see a purpose.

It's not startup friendly for app or web app development. What do you use it for if you already have Windows, ios and microsoft office?

Attached: 2.png (640x1186, 1.79M)

The problem with Microsoft and apple is they are creating more useless bloat and I see things ending badly.

Does your average user need to worry about systemd?

Masochistic Jow Forums will never understand this. Prepare for a wave of vitriolic comments.

>secure
>freedom
>not being at the mercy of a corporate entity's whims
>ricing potential if you're into that
There's few reasons.

I wonder what the future of technology will be.

Maso... What? Excuse me, Mr. Coder.... Urmmm I mean Programmer or should I call you a Software Engineer? Go and call your IT department neckbeards to fix your computer issues... Fuck you lazy motherfucking whole day procrastinating shits.... You are the scum of Jow Forums.

You cannot even install a fucking OS...
>

Your vitriolic comment only proves my argument right. All you did was insult me without a reason behind it. How mature and 'intelligent' of you. Guess what, if your job is fixing things or installing a meme OS, than that's fine and dandy. But nobody else is forced to have the same know how as you. That's why you're being paid for. That's why you are the IT guy and that's your daily role at your work space. Here's an analogy: if you take your car to be repaired at the service, does the mechanic snark at you and look down upon you because you've done something wrong to it? Does he talk shit to you because it was only a minor fix? And does the tell you to get the fuck out and enroll for a mechanical engineering program and fix it yourself? Considering all of this, you might not be as smart as your arrogance tries to make you be if you can't figure this out for yourself. I guess your anger and frustration stem from your subconscious and there's an unresolved psychological issue there; maybe it's a sexual frustration, a social inadequacy, bad parenting that is overpowering your adulthood? You're acting like a variation of a man-child and that's not how you conduct relationships.

it werks

Attached: mintytan.png (495x440, 152K)

Too much psycho-sci-fi bullshit, dude. I'm not gonna pretend I'm at your level of maturity just because you told me so. I haven't insulted anyone, all I did is stating facts. I'm not your fucking IT, I've never been and never will be a fat lazy procrastinating neckbeard. Just get shit done the hard way. Everything easy is scam. There's no shortcut for becoming a pro in any field. I mean ANY. Quitters never win. And I as a winner never quit.

Sorry to disappoint you...
I'm not a mechanical engineer but I've always solved all these minor issues by myself... Changing liquids, cables, oil and pipes... If my job slightly required mechanical intervention, I'd open up and fix the engine by myself...

I've worked as an engineer, an engineering manager and have launched a SaaS based startup on the side. At 32 I have no need to waste hours gaming, or chasing meme distros. Time = Money and and i'm not making cash from every minute spent then its a minute wasted. I tore my hair out installing linux in undergrad since it was meme back then. Only to find that office apps don't work, open office was a joke and all my formating got fucked. I typed my whole undergrad thesis in Latex which was far more work than it was worth. Sure shit looks pretty but fuck what an added hassle that was. Plus with the driver mismatch and shit not working out of a clean install was a trouble shooting nightmare. Never once did I go back to it and that's over 10 years ago.

This is fucking Jow Forums. Either you can or cannot install Gentoo. If you can't, then you'll be the die trying meme yourself.

Why on Earth would I want to install Gentoo?!

No one here uses Linux non-ironically. It's a a big bait for newfags.
Linux simply doesn't work and you're much better off going for MacOS or Windows.

Because it's fun

To fucking develop yourself and build new skills. And because you can't. Be honest with yourself. It's not lazyness nor pure procrastination. All you fucks are just boring clickity-clack Windows 10 normies which are going to live like this until you hit my grandma's Alzheimer...

Seriously just install Gentoo

HAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHHAHA
That's one of the niggas I'm talking about. Go ahead and install the new Ubuntu to pose before your friends. Don't forget to bookmark Facebook.

>Latex
>far more work
U wot m8? Just grab the standard model and write your shit.
I've never ever used word or libreoffice writer after learning Latex properly.
Working with images and labels are the easiest and by far the most time saving shit that Latex has. Without mentioning mathematical stuff.
I just honestly can't see how it's more work than anything else.

That's some serious edge right there, you know-it-all. Quite underage as well.
I have zero need for Gentoo. Why is this so hard for you people to accept that not everyone is like you? What benefit would that give me in real life besides Jow Forums-cred? How are you so smart and not realize that you're wasting time of your life that you'll never get back, ever? Is your time so useless and meaningless that you'd rather troubleshoot problems everyday you turn on your PC for the most elementary things possible? Why would I stay glued to my screen in a basement instead of breathing fresh air and getting some Vitamin D outside? Can't you see that all you Gentoo-fags have something in common: toxicity, bitterness and a general lack of love/happiness? You try to hide it behind your fedora IQ as a mechanism of coping. But no, I shouldn't be as productive as possible, I shouldn't enjoy my extra free time, I shouldn't use readily available software; I should be fixing problems that shouldn't be there in the first place, wasting the most valuable resource known to mankind—time. Your arguments against Windows users are biased and emotional, proven by the fact that you avoid all my arguments and hiding behind a bush.

Do you even lift, bro? And please, don't call me to go outside. While my gentoo's compiling its shit, I'm pushing some lifts up, what about you? Afterwards, when I get back on my seat, I try to find the optimal algorithm for my code to get it running flawless...
I'm not wasting anymore time with such loosers like you calling me underage. Be a winner or a looser. It's a binary outcome. I don't try to know everything but to know how things that I'm using daily work in order to maintain them at the most favourable way. Including food and my body. Fuel and my car. Y'all niggas or should I say looser like you know where this is going... Enjoy your booring life.