Android System Webview Permanently Removed From Oreo and Replaced by Chrome

If you buy a brand new android phone with Android Oreo installed on the device then you wont be able to disable Google Chrome and use any other apps that rely on system webview unless you root your phone
Is it time to switch to the iPhone SE?

Attached: Jewgle Chrome.jpg (895x649, 108K)

I'm not sure rooting your phone would change anything.

you can install system webview from root

But it won't get updates anymore, right?

nein
you have to use google chrome 100% of the time now or else your shit is prone to fucking up

Doesn't webview use the chrome engine anyway?

wtf? why would you stop getting updated because you rooted the phone

he's talking about updates to webview you fucking dolt

I'm using Lightning just fine in 8.1

its been running on the original android source code for years
Jewgle is basically killing it so more people are forced to use Chrome on their devices

So they can scrap even more data from the user.

Realistically how do we stop google lads?

Call Sergeant Jow Forums and the Vegan army

Whats system webview and why should I care?

Jow Forums here

So you can't just use firefox or what? My phone got updated to oreo and I don't have chrome.

But Chrome sucks balls. Samsung's browser is much better.

It allows apps to access web pages without launching a browser.

Don't you have some Chads and Stacies to run over?

So if you disable or uninstall chrome then the system webview process don't get available for use (suddenly appear in the process list or get enabled if it's there but disabled with the enable option grayed out) or work unstable as shit?

I have oreo and no chrome at all.

Strike non-chinkphones

Get the EU/China/Russia off its ass and have them sue.

>Whats system webview

It's a buggy old version of chrome, which hasn't been updated in forever because some ancient apps depended on specific behavior it had.

Now it's replaced with an up to date version of chrome, with a wrapper to allow the old interfaces to still work.

Nice source you've got there

>download any browser on iShitOS
>it's just a safari skin
Fuck off itoddler cocksmoker.

Chink phones are working to help China develop attack plans for your country's communication infrastructure.

webview is shit. i remember ranting to floens when he switched clover from browser to webview. now suck it floens cuz it just got changed back.

My country is already China (Vancouver area), so if they want to attack their own higher class citizens they're free to do so.

You will, Webview is still supported but it's quite literally Chrome repackaged
It has always been updated, both AOSP and Google Webview
It wouldn't surprise me if Google actually started banning non-WebView browsers from the Play Store

FUD. This change was introduced in Android 7 (N) and you don't need Chrome installed to have an up-to-date webview.

You can choose your WebView provider by enabling Developer Options and selecting WebView implementation. You can use any compatible Chrome version (Dev, Beta or Stable) that is installed on your device or the standalone Webview APK to act as the WebView implementation.

If I go to apps manager and disable Chrome, then the Webview app is automatically enabled, and can be updated from Play Store.

If I enable Chrome, WebView is automatically disabled again.

>he uses the botnet store

Unfortunately it's unlikely F-Droid will build it. They recompile all apps themselves, and Chromium's build process is probably too complicated for their toolchain - they already struggle to build applications developed with fringe toolkits (e.g. Xamarin, React Native, Qt etc)

Lineage do keep the system webview up-to-date, so, just do your ROM updates and forget about the webview already.