We need more shilling

Why haven't we converted every board on Jow Forums to use free and open source operating systems yet? We aren't even successful on our own board, are we not shilling hard enough? Do we have a too low supply of meme's and infographics?
Let's discuss tactics and create some spicy OC.

Attached: 1524801794715-pol.png (400x640, 94K)

Other urls found in this thread:

rufus.akeo.ie/
catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I started using linux as my main OS a few months ago, and I gotta say, Linux is a billion times easier to learn than winshit
I guess people just use windows because the linux community is just like every other community (gay), and stockholm syndrome

this is my conclusion after lurking Jow Forums for few weeks
all distros are shit, no one can use any flavor of linux without shitting on all the other ones

all desktop environments are shit, it either looks nice but bloated or it looks like shit

the toxic attitude in this board is very discouraging

start shilling antergos or ubuntu: "why do you need to update your computer with more than a single command? Why do you need to restart your computer to update it?"
gentoo is the rite of manhood on Jow Forums, sure, but normies can make due with the "does everything for you" distros

>the toxic attitude in this board is very discouraging
nigga you on Jow Forums

>etcher
>mac os flat design bullshit
at least shill rufus before (You) make images like in the OP (You) retard
rufus.akeo.ie/

Jow Forums is already very receptive to this sort of messaging. It's off topic most other places. Just shill subtly if the subject of software comes up in the course of discussion.

>nigga
fuck off ape, learn to speak

(You) are the toxic attitude, numb nuts.

(You)

This past year, I used all the major linux DEs for a month each, as my daily driver.

My conclusion is that XFCE is by far the best, period.

(what?)

Because the Linux community on Jow Forums is like the holy roman empire, technically one entity but in reality a bunch of bickering bitches who can never seem to agree on anything, whether t be DE, the OS itself, and so many other smaller details about the kernel and such that you people will never make a cohesive force at this pace

and now some one is gonna say that xfeces is shit and another DE is the best

rinse and repeat
Jow Forums in a nutshell

you're right because is wrong

>etcher
>100 MB of Electron app to format a disk
why do people do this

>and now some one is gonna say that xfeces is shit and another DE is the best
Wow people have differing opinions, who would have thought it? Pick a DE and use it. It'll probably be fine. If it isn't fine try the others and come to your own conclusion like a big boy.

Why can't we just be nice to each other

Attached: 1488838845373.jpg (375x500, 95K)

Ive been using debian for the past 9 months or so mainly every day. I do have a separate drive for windows games tgough

and the retarded confrontation never ends, is like everyone here is 12

>makes a silly remark
>gets told so
>"waaaaah waaaaaaah"

so this is the power of /v/
just do us a favor and stick with wangblows, buddy

not the guys you responded to, but its not like Jow Forums is any better tbch...

what's the ellipsis for?

vast majority of people would never switch even if directx source was leaked and GNU/Linux had gaymes (or the equivalent for whatever shitty software you claim keeps you on Windows) because people are very reluctant to change from something they already know. it's not just the old people that are like this.

no amount of shilling is going to overcome complacency inertia.

Attached: thermi.jpg (640x429, 84K)

>or the equivalent for whatever shitty software you claim keeps you on Windows
freetard alternatives to most "shitty software" is almost always inferior. you dismiss it, but it's actually a huge reason why most people don't consider downgrading to Linux.
Linux is only desirable for hobbyists who's hobby is tinkering with Linux and enterprise servers and some developers' workflow.

>mint
>not debian
any reason why not?

>the toxic attitude in this board is very discouraging
Gee, the person bitching about everything linux related pushes all of the blame about "toxicity" on everyone else, I never would have seen that coming.

Stop using the vocal minority as the voice for the majority, you fucking retard.

>A billion times easier to learn
You must not be using Arch. I'm struggling rn because if I ask any questions they'll stick a pole up my ass and call me retarded. It's worse than the stack overflow people. Neckbeards are hardcore, man.

Attached: arch.jpg (804x906, 68K)

The problem is that you probably started with Arch.

i dont really give a fuck desu
usually you don't even have to ask, most answers can be found with the man pages, arch's wiki, github, or a websearch
it's hard to know what you need to look for when you start though

You might need to research how to ask questions better.
This is something I sat down and did and found people were much more receptive to my questions once I learned to ask them in a professional manner.
If you do it correctly and some schmuck starts bashing you just tell them to fuck off.

Somebody posted this on Jow Forums awhile back, here's my chance to pass it on.
catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

Thanks user, here's a cute picture as a reward

Attached: 1523336146970.jpg (650x760, 56K)

Yeah I'm slowly but surely learning everything that I need. I think making a list is good practice so if you ever have to download arch again you can just refer to that. I just wanted to rice my shit and learn to use vim but it turns out you have to download a lot of stuff to even get past the terminal. I didn't even know you needed xorg at first lol. I ain't giving up though :3

Attached: 1523606033916.png (288x272, 167K)

>if I ask any questions they'll stick a pole up my ass and call me retarded

Attached: 1523900827176-g.png (176x112, 2K)

>if I ask any questions they'll stick a pole up my ass and call me retarded
Try "Void Linux".
Community is very helpful and forums/IRC is alive and fast.

I once convinced my parents, who are total computer illiterates, to use all different flavors of Ubuntu, plus Linux Mint, elementary OS, Zorin OS and Deepin during one week each one just to see how they were doing with the different DE.
They liked Pantheon, Cinnamon and MATE with Cupertino layout the most. At the end I left their computer with Linux Mint and MS Office 2010 (through WINE) installed in their laptop.

Attached: 1515607231351.jpg (460x397, 30K)

Attached: > > >.png (1778x2014, 2.81M)

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

lincucks mint
more like linsucks shit

Cool bait

Ask in the Friendly GNU/Linux Questions threads.

>a fucking electron app for burning an image to USB
what the fuck is wrong with you

I gave Linux a chance twice, but I like not having to fix shit all the time instead of using my computer, so I'll stay on windows 10 thank you very much.

based liechteinstein

>the toxic attitude
What the fuck are you doing on this website then?
It's not like this place is known for its inclusivity.

Did you read the manual? btw i use arch

Jow Forums is a proprietary datamining botnet run by a greedy gook.

remember that so᠍yboy of a mod got assblasted because you faggots made fun of his extremely gay keyboard?

I do.

Attached: 1517833150504.jpg (518x566, 53K)

Reminder that shit like (((SecureBoot))) is what keeps Linux and other alternatives to propietary operative systems from proliferating. Good luck getting normalfags to change shit around in the UEFI without thinking "omg this is hacking it may be illegal" when they get sold the idea that locked down shit is "safe" every single day.

Lmao what kind of keyboard did he have? I bet it had fucking "artisans" and shit on it, god "artisans" make me angry, they're like the epitome of consumerism.

>unless your computer is too old to boot from usb

Or has a bullshit UEFI somehow. Had this one HP laptop that only would boot from a CD or the HDD for no particular reason.

>not rufus

This. Learning Linux and how to do some shit is much easier than windows. I have switched to it when windows 8 was released. Linux definitely beats windows in out of the box functionality and ease of use. I mean, something as simple as capturing a select part of the screen is unavailable on windows and requires you to capture the whole screen, then open paint (which is buggy as fuck) and crop the image. Either that or using shitty 3rd party software.

Make another partition, use unetbootin to unpack the .iso bootable image of Linux into that partition, reboot and use that partition as the primary boot point, install Linux and then remove the install partition. It's a bit of a hassle but it works.