Ryzen 2400G is a useless piece of trash

I bought a Ryzen 2400G APU hoping it would be good enough for light gaming and video playback but it's not. It can't even be used to play a movie without freezing X. The amount of problems with this chip is staggering and this simple fact is documented by numerous bugs on both the kernel and the freedesktop bugtrackers. It's beyond useless, it's total trash.

You've been warned. Nobody warned me but now you know: It's a piece of shit. It's so garbage that I've resorted to (ab)using a RX560 instead of the 2400G's on-board VEGA graphics. AMD claims the 2400G is a CPU with on-board graphics but in reality it's not; it's just a 4 core 8 thread CPU. That's all it's usable for with MESA 18.0.1 and kernels 4.16.2 and 4.17rc2. This is a total scandal. Now you're warned, if you look away and buy it anyway then it's your own damn fault.

Attached: ryzen-2400g-sucks-do-not-buy-very-bad-APU.jpg (2560x1440, 417K)

Other urls found in this thread:

nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/FeatureMatrix/
reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/8f8jtd/level1linux_how_are_ryzen_2000_series_desktop/dy1sb3h/
youtu.be/6Rz_kk0H2ck
lists.freedesktop.org/archives/mesa-dev/2018-April/193277.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>that font rendering

Works on my machine with Microsoft Windows 10™ OP.

MAYBE the problem is your shitty commieOS.

this is only the fourth time I've seen this shill thread today

you idiot shills if you want people to take this shit seriously you can't spam the fucking board with the same topic over and over

holy fuck are you retarded?

Even Intel doesn't have day 1 support for GPUs, my fucking Skylake GPU (on Apollo Lake)is still an awful fucking mess, tearing, graphical corruption, and the arch is like 3 years old.

>font rendering

Attached: dunce45.jpg (649x732, 333K)

Dumb stupid poorboi AmD shills have been defecating all over Jow Forums, and it is now time to put a stop to this legion of anus-cavities. Let us put all the facts on the table, eh?

-The nVidia® GTX 1060™ has excellent and spectacularly superb performance in FULL High Definition
-The AmD poorboi Vega 11 can only barely manage to play games in 1080p (1080p is a pathetic 75% LESS than ultra High Definition)

-The nVidia® GTX 1060™ is very quiet! You can barely hear it.
-The AmD poorboi Vega 11 generated dozens of DECIBELS of noise. Warning: Being in the vicinity of dozens-of-decibels CAN damage your hearing!

-The nVidia® GTX 1060™ consumes only a tiny amount of power. It is very efficient!
-The AmD poorboi Vega 11 has been seen to gulp down a cringe-inducing 167 Watts of power! 167 Watts can run several electronics devices simultaneously.

-The nVidia® GTX 1060™ can be had for as low as $249.99! An amazing and generous price.
-The AmD poorboi Vega 11 is available for purchase for as much as $370! What a scam!

-The nVidia® GTX 1060™ uses advanced technology, such as Gameworks, G-sync, PhysX, SLI, and more!
-The AmD poorboi Vega 11 suffers from total and complete lack of features.

-The nVidia® GTX 1060™ is from nVidia, a company that makes Graphics Processing Units. They are professionals.
-The AmD poorboi Vega 11 is by AmD, ewwwwww!!!

-The nVidia® GTX 1060™ has superior drivers with an excellent track record (more like chauffeurs, really).
-The AmD poorboi Vega 11 failed to offer better value thanks to their overwhelming driver overhead.

-The nVidia® GTX 1060™ will cool your house
-The AmD poorboi Vega 11 causes literal housefires (Google "480 too hot")

-The nVidia® GTX 1060™ is beloved and admired by all
-There is literally no reason to buy the AmD poorboi Vega 11

(1/2, the idiocies of the disgusting AmD poorboi Vega 11 will be continued in the next post)

>Linux
Here's your problem

(2/2)

-The nVidia® GTX 1060™ has a warranty for 2-3 YEARS! That shows the level of quality and commitment you get from nVidia.
-The AmD poorboi Vega 11's warranty is only a FEW dozen MONTHS. Pathetic!

-The nVidia® GTX 1060™ is friendly, helpful, and nice to your motherboard.
-The AmD poorboi Vega 11 will FRY and DESTROY your motherboard, because it draws TOO MUCH power from the PCEi lanes! This cannot be fixed by poorboi AmD! (Google "RX480 PCEi power issue").

-The nVidia® GTX 1060™ simply works.
-The AmD poorboi Vega 11 causes crashes when using Chrome.

-The nVidia® GTX 1060™ benchmarks speak for themselves. This is science and you cannot deny it.
-The AmD poorboi Vega 11 benchmarks comes from sites that were bribed or coerced into portraying AmD poorboi products in a positive light.

-The nVidia® GTX 1060™ is often the choice of people who prefer democracy and peace.
-The AmD poorboi Vega 11 can be found in the homes of people who live in dictatorships. Be good, and do not support the suffering of these people.

-The nVidia® GTX 1060™ is for independent thinkers, people who value freedom and dignity.
-The AmD poorboi Vega 11 is known to have been purchased by Communists.

-The nVidia® GTX 1060™ will provide years and years of fantastic gaming performance.
-The AmD poorboi Vega 11 is a gimped iGPU, sold to the exploitable and uneducated masses.

-The nVidia® GTX 1060™ creates an aura of respect and professionalism.
-The AmD poorboi Vega 11 is for, like, you know, losers, omg.

I respect myself. I am not a loser. I am not pathetic. That is why I will purchase the nVidia® GTX 1060™ (maybe two of them, for SLI). What about you? Are you a wonderful nVidia supporter, or an AmD poorboi loser?

>Linux
Found your problem
Try not to use a second rate os meant for servers on your PC

Attached: 1485463825623.jpg (125x123, 3K)

Why are you using Mesa instead of AMDGPU or Catalyst?

Fedora is made by a for-profit corporation based in the United States of Fascism. It is not a "commieOS". As for your claim that it works fine on Wintendo: Well, good for you. I don't care about that toy OS.

You're confused. I posted one thread about the 2400G the day after I bought it a week ago and now this. I'm also not a "shill"; nobody but Google has ever paid me to post things on the Internet.

Please. That garbage 1060 novideo card can't even be used to play videos.
nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/FeatureMatrix/
It's even less useful than the on-board 2400G graphics. It's junk. I know it can be useful if you submit to their binary blob drivers - which essentially requires you to let nvidia dictate what distro and X version you use. I'm not about to do that.

>Catalyst
That's a binary blog for older cards. As for the AMDGPU-PRO blob: I'm not about to invite their Binary Blob into my system. I don't do binary blobs. The MESA back-end does use the open AMDGPU kernel driver. And since that part got issues it's unlikely that the binary blob would work better.

Attached: rare-stallman.jpg (3720x2800, 3.59M)

Pathetic IT normie.

>normie

You're not fooling anyone you dumb normalfag

Catalyst doesn't work on anything Polaris and higher? Don't Vulkan and Wayland only work on Catalyst?

>-The nVidia® GTX 1060™ is for independent thinkers, people who value freedom and dignity.
fuckin loled, thanks dude.

I haven't paid much attention to the binary blob side of things but I have the impression catalyst is kind of abandoned and that new cards require the free amdgpu driver or amdgpu-pro. As for vulkan and wayland, you don't need any binary blobs to use those. Wayland is/was a useless piece of shit for multi-monitor setups, btw. It's been a while since I tried it but that was the case when I did; I quickly reverted back to good old X. Plus.. I had to try eeew GNOME to try wayland and.. you know, eeew GNOME, what a horrible excuse for a desktop.

Attached: Cheng Xiao (WJSN) - She is so freaking cute ♥.webm (820x720, 2.62M)

I have the solution. Eat shit and kys.

X is the best imo. But yeah the way AMD and Nvidia go about their business pisses me off. If you want Nvenc and decent performance with Nvidia cards you gotta install "Nvidia" (rather than Nouveau) and AMD's AMDGPU support for the 390 cards is nonexistant and the card runs like ass with it so you basically have to use Catalyst.

How many times have you made this thread now?

Buy an ad faggot shill

>cards you gotta install "Nvidia" (rather than Nouveau) and AMD's AMDGPU support for the 390 cards is nonexistant and the card runs like ass with it so you basically have to use Catalyst.
Have you tried to use something newer than 4.4?

4.4 what?

Kernel, obviously

Using 4.16.3-1 here. Also you can't use anything higher than 4.15.1-1 with Catalyst apparently.

Isn't the RX 390 well-supported by the older radeonsi driver? Have you tried blacklisting amdgpu using a kernel boot parameter so it falls back to that? radeonsi worked just fine for me back when I was using the 7850. You're not on the same card but it's older so I'm just assuming it works for that one too. Anyway, I do agree that it's bad older cards are so poorly supported by amdgpu.

Which current [desktop|mobile] [Intel|AMD} CPU is the CPU part of 2400G equivalent to?

I don't know if it can do radeonsi, pretty sure I've had it running radeonfb so maybe. I might have to look it up, besides the 7850 is like two generations behind the 390.

>bad older cards are so poorly supported by amdgpu.
The fuck? I had a 2006 laptop with ATi Xpress 200M and it ran perfectly with the free drivers(on Fedora)

That was like 3 years ago.

>Yuri
God tier.

Okay I worded that wrong, the 300 series cards have bad AMDGPU support.

try rebooting and press e at the grub prompt so you can edit the kernel boot line and add this,
modprobe.blacklist=amdgpu
I do this on a laptop with a older Mullins APU. It forces the kernel to fall back to radeonsi which has always worked great on that laptop. The amdgpu driver doesn't seem to be that well tested with older stuff.

> older stuff
but OP has the *newer* stuff.

Also, bump for

Interesting, I might check it out if ever I reinstall my 390.

I think he was talking to me, not OP.

>amd
>mesa
retard.

Hey OP, this guy[1] on lebbit (sorry) seems to be doing great with a 2200G on Linux.

[1]: reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/8f8jtd/level1linux_how_are_ryzen_2000_series_desktop/dy1sb3h/

My mistake, bratik.

Half of r7 1700. Roughly underclocked i7 7700.

Can we start banning people for being blatant shills?

Attached: 31934651b577fea9b05bb0648d831da5.jpg (500x333, 23K)

The 2400G works fine: youtu.be/6Rz_kk0H2ck

You gotta install the Vega drivers otherwise the iGPU won't work.

... you forgot to install the drivers, didn't you?

Attached: 1468784983273.jpg (500x500, 63K)

I heard the latest AGESA release improves Raven Ridge usability on linux

>tfw on ASRock mobo where they continue to support 3 year old mobos with new BIOS release

>Hoping it would be good enough for light gaming

>Well, good for you. I don't care about that toy OS. (Windows)

KEK this bait is bad

Not OP, but shouldn't they be in the kernel?

1500X with Ryzen 2000 IMC is the closest parallel
>and intel toothpaste

>.jpg
Why OP?

stop making this thread again.
no one cares about you ganoo lincucks.

The benchmarks I've seen puts it pretty much on-par with AMD's Ryzen 1500X. Compared to Intel it's probably closer to the i3 8300. I could run some linux benchmarks on it and my 1600X if you want a comparison. Don't have any Intel worth comparing with, just the dual-core Broadwell i7 on my laptop.

>buy APU
>GPU part of it crashes all the time
>somehow sharing this information is shilling
suicide is an option you should consider.

>thinking I care if someone using a wintendo cna run some gaming benchmarks
>not knowing drivers are in the kernel and the MESA packages
>not seeing that I already tried kernel 4.17rc2 and MESA 18.0.1
No I did not "forgot to install the drivers"

The 2200G and the 2400G both use toothpaste. All the others use solder but AMD went as cheap as Intel on those two.

I don't use gantoo.

Attached: 160501 우주소녀(WJSN) [MOMOMO] 목동 팬싸인회 - 팬싸 시작 (엑시, 성소, 은서).webm (872x540, 2.94M)

A set of general drivers (that just allows video output to work, period) is included in any legitimate operating system. All the accelerated features of a GPU like graphics rendering or video playback has to come from drivers specific to that GPU.

I mean you wouldn't plug in a GTX 1080 and not install drivers, right? Same for integrated GPUs.

GTX 1080 is a different thing you numbnut because Nvidia doesn't want to open source their driver code. Meanwhile AMD has had OFFICIAL drivers accepted in the kernel.

Are you a windows user who thinks every driver must be downloaded seperately?

Oh, my apologies. Didn't realize you were using Linux.

Good luck with all that shit. I hope being contrarian for the sake of being contrarian is worth it lol.

Attached: 1489871987818.png (250x252, 51K)

I guess this problem with the 2400G is worth sharing too since I find very few mentioning this anywhere:

Two sticks of RAM in dual channel - one for each channel - runs just fine at 2933 (abusing a 3000 kit). No 3000 for some reason. But the moment one channel has both slots populated it will absolutely NOT post with higher than 2666. No. It just won't.

I'm guessing current RAM prices makes this a non-issue for most people. But it's something worth being aware of. I don't know if this is a general problem or specific to the 2400G or B350 motherboards - but if you are buying something like 16 GB RAM then two 8 GB sticks will allow higher speeds than four 4 GB sticks.

This is with ASUS BIOS 4009 and AGESA 1002a from 2018/04/17 (so it's not exactly old).

novideo cards like the GTX 1080 won't play video out of the box on Linux. So you'd have to install a binary blob to use it. AMD's different, their free open drivers are included (as part of mesa and the kernel) and they provide accelerated features. You just pop in the card and it works. Except .. it doesn't work right with the 2400G. This is a total scandal.

>The benchmarks I've seen puts it pretty much on-par with AMD's Ryzen 1500X.
The 1500X retails for $170 on newegg and the 2400G retails for $163. Why is the CPU more expensive than the (equivalent) CPU + (a very decent integrated) GPU? Does the 2400G not OC as well as the standalone CPU? What other considerations could explain this price discrepancy?

> I could run some linux benchmarks on it and my 1600X if you want a comparison.
That would be great, if you are willing and able. There is a dearth of information on how these things do on Linux.

It might sound counter-intuitive, but I don't have these problems on Fedora 27 with updates- the 4.16+ kernels in Rawhide/28beta are fucked. Its non-stable software for a reason.

>uses linux
>doesn't realize it's only compatible with old hardware

Protip: switch to Windows, it's probably a good OS for you, since you can't do basic research on your own before purchasing hardware

this guy is a regular poster on a technology board

just think about that for a second

OP the best linux experience on AMD hardware is using Opensuse with KDE. Eveyrone knows this, AMD is a main Opensuse sponsor and KDE is developed on AMD GPU's. Fedora is Red hat alpha testing. Everything outside of their main focus areas like Gnome or non intel is not a priority for them. Their so called spins are complete shit and very unstable.

Fedora is the most unstable, you are better of with Opensuse tumbleweed which more cutting edge and more stable.

sounds like the problem is your freetard OS

I wouldn't have gone with Fedora 28 with a 4.17rc2 kernel if the 2400G worked at all with Mesa 1.7.something on Fedora 27. It works better with 4.17rc2+MESA 18.0.1 but still locks up a whole lot - but "better" since the system doesn't totally freeze, just X so it's possible to ssh in and submit more useful bug reports.

The 1500X uses solder while the 2400G uses toothpaste. But the 1500X doesn't include a cooler while the 2400G does. I do agree it's kind of odd how, for example, the 2400G is priced less than a dollar apart from the Ryzen 5 1400 locally yet the 2400G is faster and has a - to me useless - GPU part.

On benchmarking, I haven't actually done that ever but brief searching indicates that the phoronix-test-suite is a good bet. Looks like it's got a whole lot of benchmarks working with the packages I've got installed. It's got a lot more benchmarks I could use if I install more packages but for now.. feel free to request some of those that are available with the currently installed packages and I'll run them on the 2400G and the 1600X.

I haven't actually tried OpenSUSE in ages. I believe KDE 3 was the default desktop at the time. Perhaps it's worth another consideration.

Attached: phoronix-test-suite-FC28.png (1050x1365, 44K)

k

>opensuse live usb doesn't even boot into OS
>running Fedora with PCI passthrough enabled out-of-the-box

Fedora is best OS

Attached: elfedora.jpg (500x500, 38K)

>normalfag

Attached: waifu-and-technology.jpg (1800x2689, 2.11M)

Linux support just isn't there.
If you want to run Linux regardless, use a drm-next kernel and git mesa. If doing this is too hard for you, just don't bother with Linux on this hardware.

Attached: x264.png (2922x694, 37K)

This one's kind of odd, the 2400G beating all the other Ryzen's (1700, 1800X, 1400) in a single-core test. It does lose to all the Intel's, so there's that. Still, odd result.

Attached: single-core-wtf.png (1015x1018, 26K)

it's pasta

>intel toothpaste
No, RR, unlike intel, has notch on its IHS to make thermal compound thinner. Sure it worse than solder, but difference is much lower than dufference with delidded intel.

You don't even use linux, cause if you did you would know to check for compatibility when getting new hardware.

That said it's obvious you are just shilling so i would like to ask what do you gain from that? I might be up for a job change if it pays well enough.

>trannynux
Kek

But it is unreadable.
Check OpenSUSE, maybe they've fixed it, since they are supported by AMD. Anyway, this is what you get if you use free software, or as they say ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY AND AS IS

>Check OpenSUSE
It's highly unlikely that OpenSUSE will work any better since I'm already using MESA 18.0.1 and a kernel not even released yet. And I shouldn't have to, the 2400G is months old already. It's not brand new technology. The VEGA GPUs using the same technology is even older.

I really did check before buying it; I actually asked AMD developers of it's status on #radeon at freenode. I was told it would work just fine. It doesn't. They lied to me. On the flip-side of that, there was one time Alex Deucher wrote a patch that fixed a bug I reported there in 10 minutes so I'm not going to be too harsh on those guys.

>what do you gain from that?
Nothing, but I guess I could hope for a stable kernel which allows me to use the hardware I bought without random crashes every few hours.

Attached: [4K] 160306 여의도 우주소녀 (WJSN, Cosmic Girls) 팬사인회 성소 직캠 by Spinel.webm (842x720, 2.56M)

lists.freedesktop.org/archives/mesa-dev/2018-April/193277.html
>[Mesa-dev] [ANNOUNCE] Mesa 18.0.2 release candidate
>A couple of fixes for GFX9, that solves a hang in the driver, and a problem with buffer views.
(the GPU part of the 2400G is referred to as GFX9)
I guess there's .. hope.

Attached: hope.jpg (3034x3034, 828K)

Give me your address. I'll send you a gun so you can off yourself you basement dwelling faggot

>spergs about Windows
>uses Steam

I admit that I do use Steam. no-no judging me, I only occasionally use it for the visual novels.

Attached: VID_20180427_154621.webm (1920x1080, 2.29M)

>converting video made it upside down
confuse, perhaps adding this to ffmpeg helps
-vf "transpose=2,transpose=2"

Attached: VID_20180427_154621-r180.webm (1920x1080, 2.3M)

It's technically Zen+, while the 1500x is first generation Zen.

I'm all for FOSS drivers but you can't expect them to fully support a recently released GPU.

>hurr hardware of tomorrow doesn't work with software releases from yesterday

Attached: 1511751516589.jpg (448x392, 47K)

You're wasting your time with these lame good for nothing excuses. The hardware is months old and the kernel is just 4 days old. The GPU part of the 2400G should work fine by now. But it doesn't. The CPU part is the only thing usable to me and it can barely calculate PI. The pts/y-cruncher benchmark has it calculating 500M Pi Digits in 79.4 seconds. For comparison, Ryzen 7 1700 does the same job in 45.71 seconds. I guess cores/threads matter when you're running something at will utilize everything. ..but I knew I'd be a core-let on this system when I bought the APU. I didn't know the GPU would be useless. Of course..
new mesa may help since it has some fixes specific to the Ryzen APUs ("gfx9").

Attached: system-info.png (1260x906, 25K)

>is surprised gaming shit doesn't works with linuxtexttipskernel

Attached: 1524630324797.png (420x420, 9K)

winbaby pls go and stop embarrassing yourself by cementing how clueless you are
the adults are talking ITT

>the adults are talking ITT
Exactly.

Attached: SuperDuperTux2.png (2560x1440, 437K)

>freezing X
>X
go fuck yourself linuxfaggot

no

Attached: Screenshot_2018-04-27_23-45-33.png (2560x1440, 389K)

>new hardware
>linux

Wait a year and you'll be good.