Hey Jow Forums. Is a college degree actually useful? Even Mark Cuckerburg says no

Hey Jow Forums. Is a college degree actually useful? Even Mark Cuckerburg says no.

Attached: 1493855570953.jpg (640x480, 72K)

Yes. But don't fall for the STEM meme. Get a business degree.

Business is fucking boring though. Fuck it. I'm going off the grid. Fuck tech

>Get a business degree.
>business degree
Just because you made a mistake does not mean you need to recommend it to others.

Attached: bEpDh2p.jpg (496x474, 27K)

Jow Forums - technology

>Is a college degree actually useful?
Yes, it is +50% to be employed.
>Even Mark Cuckerburg says no.
Yea, it doesn't matter if you run your own company, sure.

I have an engineering undergrad and an MBA my company paid for in business. Combo has worked out for me.

Depends. Do you want to publish papers?

>muh STEM is a meme
I'm convinced the only people who say this are bitter NEETs or brainlets who couldn't make it.

>Hey Jow Forums. Is a college degree actually useful? Even Mark Cuckerburg says no.
And to answer OPs question (I'm ) it depends how you look at it. Does college make you competent? No. It's all about what you put into it. If you use all the resources your university gives you, not just do the bare minimum, it's a great opportunity. College has gotten extremely expensive. I went to Purdue for my engineering undergrad and it was about 14k per year out of state. That's not terrible. Since I graduated in 2008, it has doubled essentially - It's something like 28k per year now. So it is really critical for most to get some kind of financial aid, be really wealthy, or go into bad debt.

I came out of college with about 40k of debt, so it wasn't terrible. I had no financial aid because I'm not that smart and I'm white, but I worked while in school to help pay things and keep debt under control. Summers I worked really hard also. Pulled a lot of hours. During semesters I worked for a professor in a research lab all four years, the pay wasn't great but I got to get paid to do my homework a lot.

I now run an division of a company and when I hire people, even for basic jobs, they pretty much have to have a college degree unless I know they are competent through a referral.

He says no but he sure as hell won't hire you without one.

kek, same with Elon Musk. Try to get a job there without a college degree, yet he tells people that it isn't important. Maybe for him it wasn't, but for a normal guy who wants to work in a space program, it's important as fuck. Yes, if you are genius combined with getting lucky you don't need one. College is a complete racket now and it sucks, but, you can be a rebel and be broke and jobless your whole life or you can play the game intelligently and not come out too bad. You need to go into college with a plan though, not a "I'll figure it out". It's also amazing to me the poorfags in school racking up debt that are too lazy to get a job while studying. I mean those jobs make a huge difference in lowering how bad your debt is when you come out.

Definitely useful but wouldn't say it's worth the money in America. I'd consider studying overseas.

Can y'all define college? Is it community colleges, average universities or ivy league tier?

I'm specifically talking about Purdue, which is an average one, above average for engineering. I'd say any decent school, it doesn't have to be ivy league. You want to choose a school that has a good reputation for your major. Community colleges don't count.

It is definitely worth it. But you get out what you put into it.

I am a STEM major, graduating in two weeks. All of the most technical aspects of my degree I could have easily taught myself, and did most of the time, but too many people fall into that trap and think that just because they learn everything on their own they can just attend school, take a class, and leave.

College is a place to network and grow your social circle. Put some additional time into things, join an organization, go to some extra events. If you go to college, do just enough work to get by and leave without ever socializing you're doing it wrong so don't complain if aren't getting job offers "but i went STEM wahhhhh".

I put in all the time I could to network with businesses at events on campus, socialize with my peers and grow my network. I'll be graduating with 3 job offers with the lowest offer starting at 63k and only about 12k in debt. Yeah, college is fucking worth it. But put some effort into it for once.

Attached: bolv761yhucz.jpg (516x1234, 93K)

Holy shit an honest celebrity.

This is good advice. Networking is critical, and it starts in college. I can't stress that enough. Not bullshit networking either, I mean making meaningful relationships and providing value to them.

Might give you an advantage if you're looking for a job, but it's worthless if you have no useful knowledge and skills.

Short answer, yes. I learned that the hard way. I've been working for 8 years now with 2 higher technical courses, but now I'm stuggling to find a better job because I lack the degree. Remember that usually the first one to look at your resume isn't the IT Dpt., it's the HR drones. And if they have instructions for "only candidates with a degree", if you don't have it your application go straight to the bin.
Been now looking at which colleges offer post work hours education, so I can try and catch up.

And they mostly do that just because they have to weed out all the absolute retard resumes. I put an add on Indeed and get like 300 responses, I have to start somewhere and no college degree is the easy way to weed out Tyrone's and people who can't spell.

I suppose I just won't be employable then as there is absolutely no way I'll be able to get a college degree. Though that is largely because I refuse to go into debt in order to do so. I'll have to find some other way to use my skills in order to make a career out of it.

Its hit or miss, STEM as in anything STEM is good is a meme. Like what the fuck are biologists doing? Most things you need at least a masters in biology to even matter, a phd if you want to get paid.
Science includes a lot of shitty professions that won't get you anywhere, and IT is included in the "Technology" aspect, and its not nearly as well paying as CS or engineering disciplines.

The right STEM fields are great and guarantee you a job, the wrong ones are just as fuck retarded as a business degree.

College is a fucking scam.

t. MSci (unemployed)

> All of the most technical aspects of my degree I could have easily taught myself
I feel like people take for granted how much college helps teach you even if you're learning on your own.

I tried picking up programming on my own, picked up a c++ book back in grade school, and was immediately thrown into a bag of bullshit. I got lost and had no idea how to learn the material and I fucked off quickly.

Picked it up back again in college, and being given dumb assignments really helped me pick things up even though I was learning it myself most the time, the guidance they gave and the proper assignments helped me learn it far easier than other resources.

Your best shot is to use your friends and network to get a job, and to contact companies directly. You should be researching companies you could work for constantly and contacting them.

What skills do you have?

What makes me laugh is retards that complain about debt, no shit. If you take out massive loans and live in Campus then yeah fuck you. Get financial aid and stay at home with your parents you dense fucks.

Anyone in South Florida looking for a job?

That's not always possible if you want to go to a good school. I mean the schools where I could live at home wouldn't have been good for engineering. Your point is a good one though: live off campus and take the bus (honestly it's not that bad at most universities and the quality of people off campus is often better than on), get a job during school - even a simple "computer lab moderator" or whatever where you do your homework the whole time, live cheapy, and get any sort of financial aid you can.

A degree is always useful. But it's not a requirement for an entrepreneur. Because you can do a lot of other productive things in 4 years.

Exactly. And to answer your question. Contact TekSystems and ask about the GE positions. General Electric just opened a help desk office in Miami. Been working here for a month now. And they are still hiring. Just contact TekSystems and ask if they still need people.
I hope you get it maine.

If you don't know what the fuck to do with your life AND somebody is paying for you to go to college, just go to college. If at any point you discover what you want to do with life, then drop out of college and do it.

There isn't much money in STEM though, especially in hard science. Engineers do a bit better and you'll make a living but you will never get filthy rich in STEM. It really is something you should do because you like it.

Really, very few jobs requiring college education will make you very wealthy. Lawyer probably will and doctor* but only after a long time and only if you go into private practice.

If you wanna make big money you either start your own business which requires you to either have capital to start it or the ability to get a large enough loan to cover your start up expenses and then your business needs to be profitable. Once you've grown it a bit and have some money in the bank you can start expanding and acquiring competitors and eventually get listed on the NYSE.

The only other way to get filthy rich is basically to become a stockbroker with a reputable brokerage firm.

Going to college will never get you more than a middle class lifestyle though granted that's better than being a burger flipper for your entire life.

I'm actually looking for people, not looking for a job. My positions are more labor and project management then tech though....

Most programming related jobs require a degree, so no, it's not useless.

>There isn't much money in STEM though, especially in hard science
What the fuck are you talking about.
You can go to Silicon Valley and easily make 200k.

having rich parents and connections will get you anywhere, no need of degrees or good grades

I went to college for engineering and I'm making good money. My company realized I could do some management and later paid for me to get my MBA also.

What kinda of company worth its salt recruits their fucking employees on Jow Forums of all places?

That is ridiculously sketchy and anybody with a shred of common sense would run from this offer.

No one listen to this user. Parents and connections always help, but you can pave your own way.

t.

This.

In CS & CE pajeets take your job

Reasonably smart people hang on Jow Forums. Why not? Where would you recommend? Linkedin where you just find a bunch of job hoppers that aren't worth training? Indeed where you get a bunch of people just looking to extend their government benefits and not really interested in working?

Probably depends on how much you pay for it. For me it's free*, so I only "pay" with my time. For that it absolutely feels worth it. Even if it would just mean I didn't have to be an adult for a couple of years. Will probably lead to a job for me too.

200k is fucking nothing though. It is practically the definition of middle class.

200k per year is about the best you'll get out of any college educated career. Meanwhile successful CEOs and stock brokers, hedge fund managers, etc. could be making on the order of 2M or 20M per year or more. 200k is not wealthy. I mean it is relative to 20k but in absolute terms it's not even close to wealthy.

>Reasonably smart people
>on Jow Forums

Biology means either you are premed and make bank when you become doctor,
or it means you join big pharma and make $$ from biotech bubble

200k is a sizable amount, enough to register you upper middle class at least.

Sure you won't be a CEO or a major millionaire stockbroker/whatever, but becoming one of those is playing the lottery in general. You don't do anything to get to be one of those, you get lucky and just land right.
For a confirmed average, 200k is great. Especially when there's next to no luck involved in getting there.

It means premed, but if you don't become a doctor you're fucked. aka you need a phd (or MD in this case) to be making money like I said.
pharma is more chem/biochem than biology. Biology by itself is still stem and basically useless on its own with a few small exceptions.

Most college educated people won't even get there though. The average person will fail to break 100k. Most careers will land you in the 50-90k range. If you work hard you may be able to do 100-130k and get a nice house in the suburbs, 3 kids, and a little minivan by which point all your 130k is gone. If you work hard AND get lucky you may be able to hit that 150-200k range but there aren't many of those jobs available. Usually that would be salary of a lead engineer or programmer and no autist that comes here will be leading any kind of projects. Those jobs will be taken by the Chad engineers and programmers while the vir/g/ins get the 50k/yr code monkey jobs.

Have you ever tried to hire anyone? You should see the resumes I get.

I'd be even more interested to see the resumes you get from people on Jow Forums.

BS in Accounting -> MS in Accounting -> CPA -> B4 -> exit as controller -> CFO

BS in Acct -> MS in Acct -> CPA -> B4 -> Transaction Services -> M&A -> P/E

get with it homos. Accounting in unpajeetable and we actually have our own little pajeets to do the easy work.

I don't think you realize how great 100-200k is.

I suggest you get out into the real world before talking about how bad "middle class" is.

>If you work hard you'll be able to pay for a nice house in a good area, support 4 people, and have a car without being in debt
>Man that sure sounds like you're just scrapping by

And I don't think you have any perspective on exactly how far that doesn't carry you in this day and age.

My family only made 60k combined income, and I'd lived a pretty decent middle class life.

So I don't know how you can even say ONE person making 200k is "only" middle class. If you make 200k and live anywhere aside from CA or NY, you're basically rich.

thats pretty close to be considered low income for a family of 4, you guys probably get pretty good welfare ya?

I do, because I live on it.
And I have plenty of money to get by, I have plenty of disposable income and I can afford a new car every few years.

Maybe stop living in california.

Dont encourage people to so stem. I like being in demand and dont want my wages driven down by an over supply of code monkeys

Are you actually a sheltered retard or something? I own a 3000sqft house, 4 beds, pool, 15 acres, an older and a new BMW, 2 kids, wife, and I make 90k a year, wife doesn't bring home anything at the moment, and I still put lots of money into savings every month. If I had 200k I could travel to a new country every month and do whatever the hell we wanted without a care.

No welfare, no handouts. 3 story house, 3 cars + RV, house paid for, got everything I asked for each Xmas.

yeah try not living in the middle no where and also try sending your kids to a good school instead of just pawning them off on the (((public school system)))

on 60k a yr combined inc?

Press X to Doubt. your parents

> to a good school instead of just pawning them off on the (((public school system)))
90% kids go to public school.
When the hell did times change and require kids to need private school? You sound like spoiled pampered ass.

Yes. You're probably an underage NEET so I don't expect you to know anything.

I'd even be happy with someone saying "this is what I've done work wise, but I'm well versed in this this and this, I realize that isn't exactly what you are looking for but I promise I'm willing to learn, I'm smart, and I'm motivated to make it happen" type of thing. That's all most companies need, is someone smart, motivated and willing to learn.

I think this is all a perspective thing. I make in the mid 100s but I'm a robot, no gf, no wife, no kids...so I feel really wealthy and save a whole lot. However, the people I work with that make the same but have kids and a wife are not doing as well as you might imagine. I mean one upside of being /foreveralone/ is you keep a lot more of your money.

no, I am a CPA who grew up in private school. 60k a year combined inc is dismal m8. That was my first year's starting salary.. and I am 1 person

...I should also add it depends where you live. My city is expensive, so if I had a wife and kids AND had to live here, 200k would have me pretty tight on funds I imagine. I'd need a bigger place to stay which would make it worse.

Obviously if your someone like Mark Zuckerberg you don't need it. If you're a typical person that wants to wageslave then it is very helpful.

>I put and add
>people who can't spell

I choose to live in the middle of nowhere and have a 30 minute drive to work because I want to live there. Why the actual fuck would I live in a city for a tiny 2 bedroom apartment that costs more than my house per month? Lol I also wouldn't be able to have pets, have a garage for my cars, wouldn't be able to have my snowmobiles and boat. City living is shit.

Haha, okay you got me there. That was a typo with these new Gateron Clears. I'd spell check before sending my resume though.

also
>and add
It was an add user, the and was your typo :^))))

weird, I live in a city in a 5000 sq foot 3 story home with 5 bed rooms, 3 full & 2 half baths, a pool, pool house, driveway, backyard, front yard....

have you tried not being poor user? Do you think your choices are so binary? Like option a is living in bumfuckistan and option b is living in a crampt apartment run by Shlomo Shecklestein?

Don't respond to him, at this point its obvious it's some 16 y/o kid who's parents probably make about this much, so he thinks he knows how money works, despite never having worked in his life.

If you can manage your debt going into debt to get a good paying job is a no brainer.
Would you rather be 0 dollars in debt making 30k a year? Or 60k in debt making 60k a year staring moving up to over 100k a year?

Either bait or you live in your parents house where they make lots of money while you don't.

I said I was a CPA

Oh okay, well I'm a grocery store clerk living in a 2 million dollar house

Dude you can get a McMansion in bumfuck for cheap on a CPA income. You just have to be okay living in the middle of nowhere. Million dollar lots in my neighborhood are tear downs. It all just depends on the area.

Yes but cpas don't make shit. Certainly not buying a house in a city with that income.

He said he lived in the country. I can believe it. I sometimes for laughs look at what stuff costs in the middle of nowhere. For what my tiny house and land cost I could get something huge in the country.

That said, my "little" land has tripled in value since I've owned it the last ten years so depends how you look at it. The stuff in the middle of nowhere seems to stay about the same.

college exists to indoctrinate you with marxist ideals.

someone is a little sensitive about having to learn his pronouns. poorrrrr babbbbyyyyy

>> Purdue

I went to Purdue and graduated in 2007. Did ECE and did my MBA from Kellogg. I may have cross paths with you user.

In response to all the questions, education can only help you. You have more chances of getting a better job with a degree. Without one you're only good for flipping burgers. When people point at zuckerberg, gates, jobs, what they forget is that it is millions of times harder to get a good team together and competant skills while being regimented in their focus to deliver. These guys didn't live in their moms basement, or wake up during mid day and play wow 24/7. These guys set up companies before their 20's and millionaires by their mid 20's.

If you think you can acheive the same then best of luck to you. For the rest of us, its better to have job security with a degree.

Nice user. We certainly took similar paths! I went to University of Chicago for their executive MBA program.

I feel like Purdue has cheapened itself, I was reading it recently bought a for-profit school called Kaplan. I felt like I got a good education at Purdue for a reasonable amount of money, but, it will be interesting to see where the university goes.