Why did wobbly windows fall out of fashion?

Why did wobbly windows fall out of fashion?

Attached: ub4s.png (1366x768, 972K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-7_wXlEDRrI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

because they're idiotic and look disgusting

useless waste of compute power

Everyone interested in them 10 years ago is no longer a teenager

i still use them

this, I literally only installed linux to play with wobbly windows because I thought they looked cool when I was 13

now it's just a boring gimmick

They make the user experience worse.

me2

compiz was the only reason to use linux....

this

This but instead the giant 3d cube transitions.

>install DE
>disable compositor immediately to get rid of all effects

this is how a desktop should be

I use them on KDE.

Attached: 1522611075083.png (226x222, 101K)

They're not the easiest thing to enable. You used to just install beryl in gnome and then you could enable them. Now gnome and kde use some other kind of compositor, idk it was just a pain in the ass.
On my last linux installation I simply used beryl/compiz and xfce and got my wobbly windows back.
Blew some people's minds in class because I'm always hooking my laptop up to the projector and teaching the class for the professor(because reasons) and they got see wobbly windows for the first time.
Still cool as fuck over a decade later.

I use them in KDE. Easy to enable and I think it looks nice.

They never were in fashion. They were just something Windows couldn't do, so freetards used it to show off. Just like spinnan cuebz

It was never that useful or productive with those window animations. I do remember when they first came about way back when. It was Super Cool. Really cool to have windows wobbly, windows on a huge rotating cube and windows exploding and all that fun stuff. I pretty quickly realized it's better to have a window just instantly go away when you close it. So .. I turned it all of.

>disable compositor
>enables screen tearing effect

Not a problem on high refresh rate monitors.

>check the checkbox "force full composition pipline"
>never have screen tares no matter what..

This, static windows feels dead.

Blurred windows are the new trend.
youtube.com/watch?v=-7_wXlEDRrI

When will ganoo+linux get freesync support?

wasn't that big in vista?
(maybe because of aero or some bs)

IT SPINS!

This, It was a complete response to Vista's Aero visuals. Back then ppl didn't realize a window manager could be anything but static, gray, and ugly. So stupid little tricks like OP's pic used to blow consumers minds. I miss I used to think Linux was this crazy free version of Windows for hackers and professors.

I just hope they keep it as sublte as in current Plasma. The settings the guy in the video uses seem overdone.

Hey, I'll have you know I'm an oldfag. I was in my 30s when wobbly windows came out, and I liked them even though I wasn't a teen.
PS - Can't you still do it in KDE settings? I know the desktop cube still exists in there.

#MeToo

What are you talking about?
I'm still using them.

It's under desktop behaviour>desktop effects>wobbly windows

You're an oldfag but mentally you're still 12

this. had a friend that sperged over his wobbly ubuntu 7.10 but cried when is battery went bad on his laptop all the time

It was never good to begin with it

Somewhere around there. I pay bills and have e sex with my wife, but I am indeed a manchild.

lol aren't we all? at least you get laid

Am oldfag, I like 'em. Admittedly though that shit was massively over done for a while, and them spinnan' cubes.

>ventrilo
my feels

But they've never been in fashion. Also, they look disgusting and useless.

I liked them when they came out but not enough to try to install them every time I installed Ubuntu

> linux can do more than 60 fps

Nice meme.

Why did falling windows wobble out of fashion?

Attached: The_Oracle.jpg (1600x835, 128K)

Compiz development is dead and most DEs use their own desktop compositors which only have very few effects included
If you want to see some really ridiculous shit, install compiz and look at all the possible animations

>tfw 10yo I was switching desktops in a 3d cube
>tfw now I'm disabling every single animation and effect

I haven't seen a screen tearing though I haven't used a compositor since ever. Are you meming or is this an actual problem?

Actual problem with some drivers and configurations
Nvidia often tears even with compositing on

It fell out when minimalist basedboy shit defeated skeumorphism and gradients. I miss 2000's design.

>65708963

Did my browser seriously fucking autocorrect basedboy

And you know what - those shit ran smoothly on P3 era machines with 256 mb of RAM

i liked them when i was running MATE, since they work perfectly fine there.

since Compiz replaces xfwm on XFCE and requires Emereald on top of that for decorations and is pretty dang buggy there, i basically don't use them wobbles.

same, i disable all the effects on my phone as well

compiz used to be a default
now it's not
simple as that

I miss it. Just a bit. Same with the desktop switcher cube. Useless eyecandy, but I liked it.

New filter

Blur amount and transparency are [and will continue to be] configurable AFAIK.

Main difference is a blurrier maximum blur.