/ag/ & /am/: audio general & audiophile memes

Comfy audio thread.

What's your setup?
What system are you working toward?

Attached: eeehhhhh.jpg (700x506, 36K)

Other urls found in this thread:

soundown.com/images/2.3/damping tile 2010 1 A.pdf
google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiUho-m3d3aAhVmG5oKHVNzBIQQFggpMAA&url=http://www.kef.com/uploads/files/THE_REFERENCE/REF_White_Paper_preview_path_200514.pdf&usg=AOvVaw1jBdGRX4Qzk58I6-2hlhP9.
youtube.com/watch?v=D1gl46hh3sQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Are dipole and tripole rear speakers a significant improvement over regular bookshelves for rear speakers in a 5.1 system?

>really want to talk about audio
>realize I probably posted too early.

Attached: 1519301778144.jpg (732x630, 100K)

>audiophile memes
Isn't it funny when they cry?

It's from the beauty of listening to 384khz 32 bit vinyl rips. It really captures the WARMTH. You need an entry level $15,000 system but the difference is night and day!

Did anyone from last time ask deadmau5 why he is using ATC rather than Genelac now? I'm banned on Twitter or I'd do it myself... don't really feel like making another account right now.

Attached: dansk-viking.jpg (1000x728, 107K)

rate my speaker

Attached: 20180427_160555.jpg (2592x4608, 3.84M)

Attached: 1520697130500.jpg (3010x2000, 1.82M)

I never thought about audio and shit (my hearing is slightly fucked, also a mild tinnitus) but what do you guys make shit with bass/treble?
Some people I met just have them on max all the time but it seems wrong

Attached: 1519614511616.jpg (800x533, 80K)

Well, it all depends on how the system works in the room. Turning down the bass a little can be good in most cases.

driver on top looks pretty good!

Generally those bass and treble knobs are pretty wide bands, people sometimes have a taste for having a lot of treble and bass with very little midrange. That's what is accomplished by cranking those knobs. If your hearing is fucked, do whatever you feel is most comfortable for you. I'd probably run them pretty level, maybe a hint of extra bass.

Is it wrong of me to want big thick cables with tech flex around them and heat shrink?

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 108K)

No, I think it's cool as well.

Yeah with some nice terminals on there. It's not very expensive to do. I feel like I'm the only one who will see it, except maybe speaker cables, but, oh well.

I've done it to some of the powercords that I use and my current speaker cables. I put some really big flex on my previous speaker-cables and it looked very cool from afar.

I propose to categorize HighEnd as a mental illness, I believe it belongs somewhere in the schizophrenia area. HighEnd illness is displayed by phonetic halucinations which prevents enjoyment from music for the afflicted. The afflicted individual compulsively and even autistically examines the technical side of recording and music playback. He/She ignores the artistic and atmospheric side of the music.
This afflicted individual is a grateful victim of marketing department belonging to the companies which sell audio equipment. They are supporting further development of demented thoughts in the afflicted individual, who then tries to resolve his/her illnes by buying overpriced equipment, which will never bring him/her satisfaction. The unambiguous top of the polished fart are overpriced tube amplifiers with THD levels in units of percent ingnoring the basic laws of EMC, mains filters (or EMC power supply filter), and gold plated digital audio cables.
Suggested treatment - Audio therapy in the form of visiting live undergound gigs (preferably with bands playing pvre trve cvlt orthodox norwegian black metal) with cheap audio quality and half-deaf sound engineers serving powerful D-class PA systems.

I think you didn't get the joke there

higurashi when they cry

Attached: collection-of-solutions-best-bookshelf-speakers-under-100-with-best-speakers-under-200-kurbis-bt-spe (1280x720, 135K)

Attached: janis-5.jpg (1296x864, 239K)

this guy looks like he's taking a shit and what's coming out is something he can't remember eating

What's your setup?
>Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7BK
>Mica Origen G2
What system are you working toward?
>Beyerdynamic DT 1990
>Audio-gd NFB-11.28

Attached: 172924faatv22tta3fo7we.png (413x248, 83K)

What speakers are these?

Found this in my dad's storage from when I was a kid (along with, yes, magic and star wars cards). I'm pretty excited to start going through my old stuff. I've lived in tiny apartments for so long its like my life got packed up in a box and tucked away - other than my pair of Bag End monitors and my Bag End subwoofer everything is stored.

Now that it looks like I'm buying a house (pending inspections), I'll finally have a place to setup my speakers and such. I don't really have any good pictures but the highlights are a bunch of Crown amps, an old pair of Dynaudio Audience series speakers, M&K S-150s, and a pair of Danley CS-30 subwoofers.

Attached: 2018-04-16 13.23.17.jpg (4032x3024, 2.45M)

Here is some more amps and a pre-processor. All prosound stuff but they do the job.

Attached: 2018-04-16 13.20.28.jpg (4032x3024, 2.22M)

>another user got me interested in Harbeths
>tfw see the prices
fugg

Attached: 1524516629737.jpg (1500x1000, 361K)

>What's your setup?
Marantz 2325 (vintage, yes)
Klipsch CF4 v1

>What system are you working toward?
In July I'm moving in to a new house. Will have a full 5.2 setup with all Klipsch CF4 and see how that sounds. If the rears prove to be hard to manage I'll sell a pair and find something else suitable. Not sure what to look into yet but I can get ~1k for the pair so finding replacements should be fairly easy unless they are rare. Subwoofers will be dual Full Marty. 1080p projector with an acoustically transparent screen to hide the front 3 speakers. Can't fucking wait

Attached: 2b2902a323d9bf8e4e265d08fdc9f8a2.jpg (1050x1540, 1.48M)

That sounds great user, congrats. Why do you think the rears might be hard to manage? Those CF4s will give you a nice crunchy theater sound. I'm very jealous of the acoustically transparent screen, which one are you getting?

Never heard of Fully Marty subs before, I'll take a look this weekend at them.

Please keep us/me updated with your build.

>Why do you think the rears might be hard to manage?
Physical size for one, but mostly placement in the room. I'll need to elevate them to keep the horn at ear level but I'm not sure how they will sound with the couch being there.

>I'm very jealous of the acoustically transparent screen, which one are you getting?
Not sure yet. I haven't done the research because my move in date is still 3 months away. I've seen other theaters with a similar setup and like it very much

>Fully Marty subs
Their gigantic but are good to about 17Hz. There's a big thread on avs about them

>Physical size for one, but mostly placement in the room. I'll need to elevate them to keep the horn at ear level but I'm not sure how they will sound with the couch being there.
Ah yeah, might be a bit too big depending on how close you are. Maybe a horn loaded bookshelf would be better, probably another Klipsch.

>Not sure yet. I haven't done the research because my move in date is still 3 months away. I've seen other theaters with a similar setup and like it very much
I looked into them a while back and they were very expensive. There is also some tradeoff in picture quality, with potential screen dooring or something. I think the benefits outweigh the negatives though, its a much more immersive setup.

Are you buying or renting?

>Fully Marty subs
Their gigantic but are good to about 17Hz. There's a big thread on avs about them
I'll check that out. I always want to go on AVS but never have the time. :/ . I hate wageslaving.

Now it is bedtime, nite nite user.

HD600 and O2+DAC.

Just entered the world of audiophiles. Hopefully /hpg/ likes my decision

I would want something with the same timbre as the ones I have already. Worst thing that happens is I end up buying a CF2 and building a different enclosure for it possibly. But that sounds awful so I'm hoping this works out. I've thought about using the matching center as rears but they are hard to find.

>Are you buying or renting?
Buying

Search "MartySub FAQ" and you'll find the thread

These to a cambridge topaz am 5.

Awaiting some banan plugs and actual real copper cable in the mail.

Attached: MS m10.jpg (1980x1539, 935K)

Fostex HP-A4BL came in today.

Attached: 1513424114344.gif (219x257, 219K)

I'm about to get these as my first pair of speakers because they're at a great price where I live (at a limited stock).

- Do they have a good soundstage? If not, are there better choices in that range for that aspect?
- What's a good budget but decent amp I can pair these with?

Attached: wharfedale diamond 220.jpg (355x355, 21K)

>Frequency response 56Hz - 20kHz
Hope you have a decent subwoofer for those

>Sensitivity(2.83V @ 1m) 86dB
Absolute haram

I plan to get one later. I assumed every bookshelf had non-existent sub-bass.

What's your local audiophile crowd like Jow Forums?

>60% old asians
>30% young "techie" white/asian/hispanic guys

haven't met any yet, I should get out more I guess

Do you have it on hand, or did you place an order? Do you like it?
Do try not to concern yourself too much with what /hpg/-types think.

Moving into a living room with an irregular shape?

>local audiophile crowd
wat

If I'm doing some audio editing and I'm looking to set the maximum peak signal amplitude where should I set that point? Audition allows me to go up to 0dBV (1Vrms) before it clips. Should I set it so the maximum peaks occur at 0dBV?

The other option I was considering was setting the max peak level at line level which is -10dBV (0.316Vrms).

I don't know what to do. Is there some kind of standard for this? I'm trying to keep a wide dynamic range over a variety of possible load impedances (4-64 ohms roughly).

>horn loaded
Did someone say Horn Loaded?

>What's your setup?
HD 598 SE / Audio-gd R2R-11

>What system are you working toward?
Just waiting until my 6XX's arrive in August.

damn ugly stands

opus vs orbis
which is better?

Congrats user. I'm in process of buying too.

Yes, unfortunately. Attached pic is pretty much what I have, with a weird wall in the middle and lots of windows. Not sure if I'm doing 5.2 or 2.2 yet. I'm going to make it work as best I can. In another 4-5 years I hope to knock it down and build a custom home, which would for sure have a room that was ideal for home theater and audio.

Attached: Screenshot 2018-04-15 11.50.30.png (588x539, 345K)

>What's your local audiophile crowd like Jow Forums?
h-how do I find out?

Attached: 1514755472054.jpg (379x426, 20K)

Autism: the filename

I guess you don't go to local stores. I get emails from them to come test their new products because I'm a good customer. Car dealerships do the same.

Is your hair cut based on LEGO men?

think that's really him?

Attached: 1523759420121.jpg (691x725, 127K)

The only real audio stores here are Bestbuy Magnolia (no thanks) and a place called HiFi Sound that sells McIntosh and B&W.

BIG DIRTY STINKIN BASS

Attached: 417373848_1280x720.jpg (1280x720, 64K)

are those audiophile gravestones

Why don't more speaker manufacturers use materials other than wood? You'd think things like stone might work, but also all the composite materials like fiberglass, aramid fibers, carbon, different sandwich constructed boxes with PVC cores and such...

have fun carrying speakers made of stone

WHERE ARE ALL MY SPEAKER BROS I WANT TO TALK SOUND SYSTEMS

Attached: 1519700495128.jpg (365x502, 14K)

Expense and simplicity.
What is needed from a cabinet is a rigid structure that is lossy and well damped. MDF is workable enough. Sometimes mass loading in the form of a stone or concrete base may be used for speakers.

What's the difference between mass loading versus increasing rigidity? Do they accomplish the same thing? Like if you want to dampen the wall of a speaker, when is the right time to add mass (weights) versus put a brace or something?

Er, the base is to limit vibrations and swaying of the speaker at LF.
Adding mass will drop the frequency.
>mass loading versus increasing rigidity
If you brace the speaker, you limit the free motion but increase the frequencies of vibration. The bracing is best combined with a viscoelastic material for bracing, a CLD sandwich.

Ah so adding a brace can help but it might just move the problem to a higher frequency?

>CLD sandwich
I had to google this, interesting. Would that be like rubber as the coring/middle material and then MDF on the outside layers? MDF is pretty elastic though, right, could they use carbon fiber with some soft inner layer of the sandwich?

The brace will do both.
Not necessarily rubber, but that is the idea of CLD. Concern is energy transmission between layers. It was a long time ago that I've looked this over, I hope I didn't mix the ideas up too badly.

Well, most cheap stuff are made out of plastic.
A Swedish brand called "Rauna" made boxes out of concrete.
And more expensive speakers are often made out of more exotic materials.
So it exists, but not within the normie price range.

I've been reading about it now, you seem to have the idea down. I haven't been able to find specific examples related to audio yet though, like what a speaker box would be built like.

Here is using CLD for marine manufacturing:
soundown.com/images/2.3/damping tile 2010 1 A.pdf

Looks like they put this sound down stuff in and then build the fiberglass on either side.

Yeah, I think a lot of the composite materials are more expensive and maybe people wouldn't care. There has to be huge huge profit margins in high end speakers. High profit low volume.

Attached: 1524515321994.jpg (3648x2736, 1.31M)

Opus, both subjectively and measurably

has anyone gotted tinnitus from headphones (mine's are akg-712)?
my right ear has been ringing nonstop for 3 months now.
i have huge issues getting any sleep anymore.

Attached: 1513978333802.png (128x112, 8K)

High-end is also VERY low volume, so the development and manufacture-costs are thru the roof.
Look at KEF and all of their designs and innovations
google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiUho-m3d3aAhVmG5oKHVNzBIQQFggpMAA&url=http://www.kef.com/uploads/files/THE_REFERENCE/REF_White_Paper_preview_path_200514.pdf&usg=AOvVaw1jBdGRX4Qzk58I6-2hlhP9.

Attached: 4.png (700x518, 223K)

Headphones are cancer. I normally hear ringing in my ears a couple of hours after a session.PIIIIIIIIIIIII

Sorry to hear that user. No, I'm more of a speaker guy than a headphone guy. I just use headphones in travel.

I'll check them out. Seems like the best sound would come from a company who does enough volume to justify having a small research and development division. A lot of these high end speakers just seem like more of the same. I'm not sure if this is true in practice though.

That sucks. How loud are you using them? I've never had that issue from headphones but I did from a (single) loud concert. Ears are more sensitive than we think. Some people say it gets better after several months so hang in there.

Ttinnitus is moslty caused by blood propped somewhere in the nerve system near the ears. I recommend you to eat some Aspirin tablets each day and to drink hellofalot water to soften the clogged bloodpropp.

>tinnitus
It's nothing intrinsic to headphone listening, but a disconcerting trend is that people tend to listen louder over headphones than what they would comfortable with loudspeakers.

>A lot of these high end speakers just seem like more of the same.
Kinda. The super high-priced gear usually do not perform that well and are more about fashion and furniture for the multi-millionaires. Most don't care about directivity, and quite a few don't even bother with flatness on-axis.

There is sooo much snakeoil in the audiophile high end industry that it is shocking every fairytale creator in hollywood.

I myself sold silver coated audio loudspeaker cables rebranded by me with a spooky cnc machined box at both ends for ten times the price i have bought them.
At the age of 15, i alrwady had like 50.000 Deutsche Mark made with this trick. And people bought like crazy from private to private.
Lay attention!!!! it was pre internet time.

Seems like the internet did take away a lot of good scams like that. I'm sure there are still dumbfucks that buy that shit, but, less of them. Forums ruined a lot of scams.

So are studio monitors the thing to buy once you want the next best thing but don't want to buy some goofy brand of questionable quality?

If i read audio forums, there are many users defending and upvoting such products. Including audiphile print magazines that occasionally test such products and praise them to the readers.
The market is still not gone and i belive that it has grown bigger ever since. I really wanna try this out a second time.
I mean hey... speaker cables for way over 1500 Euros for five meters.

I wonder what kind of revenue a company like Kimber does.

The company says nothing to me, but i can tell you i bought my cables from Oelbach in Germany for like 25 Deutsche Mark per meter, rebranded them, put The anodized aluminium boxes at each end of a cable and sold them for 250 deutsche Mark each Meter.
You can figure the win. Each aluminium box did cost me about five Deutsche Mark.

How old are you? I'm supposed to be the only one here who remembers the Mark

45 now. I sold this stuff when i was 14 to 16. Back in the late eighties.

What do you do now?

most speakers level off at 50 hz or so
other user is just being a schmuck

>when there was no intention of compromise

Attached: infernal-affairs-2002-29-g.jpg (1200x798, 230K)

From these money i made with the cables i took my drivers license when i turned 18, started a company on my own when i was 20, utterly failed it and bankrupted it, started a second one two years later and this is still up and running. I am into machine engineering and cnc machining. I sold the company to some of my currently 28 employees and currently work in a counseling position to the new owners that took over, teaching them everything, introducing them to my customers and my sources and all this stuff. To make sure the company does not fail when i leave and finally enjoy my life as a full time pensionaire at the age of 45. In june this year my contract ends and i will never work a single day again.

Nice user. That's my dream. My company is running and business is going well, but the problem when people look at buying it is that so much of the business depends on me. I haven't hired enough people and trained them. I have a bunch of people working on the manufacturing line, but not enough people in sales and in the office. It's just so hard to find people, and young people don't like to stay at the same job very long so I end up training someone for the next place they go.

I hope to sell it in the next 3-4 years. Then I'll probably have a contract to stay there also, but, after I don't know what I'll do. I'm young so still want to work, but, maybe something less stressful.

this movie has something to do with hifi or they reference it? never seen it

May i ask you what business and country you are in exactly?
Young people often tend to jump from job to job. But here in Germany at least, such people are not very popular. If i see someones CV and he is like 25 and had already ten different jobs or so i ask myself how many days he will stay at my company before he leaves and takes both skills and internal informations to a competitor of mine. I regulary sort such people out, no matter if i need someone or not. I rather work 12 hours a day than teaching someone my business who finally moves on to a competitor.
Here in south west Germany, we have a nearly 100% employment rate. So it is hard to find people available. Not to talk about their abilities. But despite that, i sort out the jobhoppers.

I have a pair of Superlux hd668b, what speakers can I get with a similar sound quality?

I can't be too specific, but I work in materials engineering. I'm in the United States.

>Young people often tend to jump from job to job. But here in Germany at least, such people are not very popular. If i see someones CV and he is like 25 and had already ten different jobs or so i ask myself how many days he will stay at my company before he leaves and takes both skills and internal informations to a competitor of mine.
It is also looked at poorly here by people in the 30+ age group, but seems to be pretty accepted among the youth. They have no loyalty like baby boomers did. Younger people are on LinkedIn and constantly get hit up by recruiters.

>Here in south west Germany, we have a nearly 100% employment rate. So it is hard to find people available.
That's the other problem, business is good all over the US, it's very hard to find people. The small unemployment we do have, is basically just made up of people who are unemployable or don't want to work.

My business also has a pretty big learning curve, so, it's hard to just go get a regular sales person and have them sell it. It takes some experience and a lot of product knowledge. I do most of the selling myself because of this, but, when people look at buying the company they see that my EBITA is very good but there isn't much structure for sales and operations. I'm working on it, but, it's not an easy task.

>Younger people are on LinkedIn and constantly get hit up by recruiters.
My office is almost exclusively run by women in the age range of 40 to 55. They are glad getting a job again after being a home caring mother for years and they are thankful for the job, well motivated to not risk the chance they got at my company. Most of the companies don't hire women that age with years of abundance on the job market. but i do and i found out they learn, are motivated and they are loyal, because they well understood that this chance is given very seldom. I also recruit from personal recommendations of my workforce, where employees have sons, daughters or other relatives they know are reliable. No one wants to nuke his own reputation by recommending a non reliable person. This worked well so far.

USA is an extreme environment when it comes to young people jobhopping. That's sad for every small company owner that really lives for the company and wants to build a legacy.

feels good man, I'm still waiting on my balanced cable, but its a hell of a comfy sounding amp.

Attached: IMAG0639.jpg (3000x4000, 2.43M)

Thanks. Yeah, it's interesting you say that because the three people I DO have in my office are all women 50+. Sales it's hard to do that though because the buyers are rednecks and old school boys club type guys. Oil money. They only want to deal with good ol' boys.

>USA is an extreme environment when it comes to young people jobhopping. That's sad for every small company owner that really lives for the company and wants to build a legacy.
It's going to be really hard. I think if finding good people was easier, I'd keep the company and try to grow it more. When I do sell it, I want to find a business that depends on very little people or at least very easy to train people.

Try out farmers that got in financial trouble then. Since Monsanto and other biotech companies literally destroys their soil with genetic manipulated dumpster shit seeds and lifestock food, many of the stonewashed rough boys need a job. If the group you described as potential customers are the ones i have in mind, a GMC pickup truck driving salesman with leather like hands and an iron like handshake will do the job. Farmers do understand business and sales well most of the time, because they themselfes had to sell their stuff for years before they got their market and margins crashed by the pharma industry.
I really can't say if i am out in the blue with my idea here, but i could well imagine farmers being good salesmen for this kind of niche.

Interesting! Thanks!

Pro audio usually doesn't mess around with as many silly ideas as products aimed at the end consumer. They at least take the trouble to flatten on-axis response, although controlling the directivity is another thing.
There are some nice speakers aimed at home listeners, so I wouldn't write them all off just because they have something other than a plain appearance. Loudspeaker measurements are critical to pick out the better models, although I'm not totally satisfied with how any of the major review sites/magazines do it.

>There was an audio general up
Sheeeit.
youtube.com/watch?v=D1gl46hh3sQ