Is Lasik technology mature enough for me to get it without having to worry about it fucking up my vision?

Is Lasik technology mature enough for me to get it without having to worry about it fucking up my vision?

I'm wearing Acuvue Oasis contacts but my last prescription hasn't changed for the first time in my life so now I'm getting close to when I'd be a candidate for the surgery. How can Lasik make my vision even better than with my contacts which seems flawless to me?

First hand experience is greatly appreciated.

Attached: lasik-1001x1024.jpg (1001x1024, 101K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=VOAJBAYq3p4
youtu.be/YUXwDMqjC-A
edition.cnn.com/2013/08/15/living/literally-definition/index.html
youtube.com/watch?v=x5Efg42-Qn0&t=5s
ocumetics.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=xFYaeqVxN7I
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

What's wrong with wearing glasses you faggot?

>being an Eyelet

Attached: Heresy.jpg (1076x856, 180K)

All doctors wear glasses.
Prove me wrong.

Attached: 1524498388913.jpg (240x432, 16K)

Yes, but your vision can and will still change over time. You'll probably need glasses again by the time you hit 40.

Less comfy, lower vision quality, having to worry about crap on your face, having to get expensive prescription sunglasses, tension headaches, dealing with occasional smudged lenses.

I’ve thought about laser eye surgery but never went through with it. The idea of not needing a vision aid is a nice idea. Ultimately, this user has correct reasoning for why it is pointless in the long term . Unless you have a real reason not to wear glasses or contacts that is beyond “I don’t want to”, I wouldn’t bother.

I think you're just mentally disabled

I think op listed very good reasons why he doesn't like glasses. In fact, you are the faggot.

Your vision will just worsen over time, and you'll need the procedure again if your cornea is even thick enough for it anymore. You'll also get artifacts like halos that make it difficult to drive at night.

Better to stick to glasses or contacts that can be replaced when needed.

It's actually totally fine. I have some friends who did it and they are very happy with it. My aunt did it too and it's just now, after like 25 years, that she sometimes uses glasses to read, but that's probably because she is old.

can't you just get cataract surgery if that doesn't work?

I had PRK done. It doesn't involve slicing a layer of your eyeball. Have glare at night time, especially from LED lights. But otherwise would do again if needed.

obligatory

youtube.com/watch?v=VOAJBAYq3p4

No you're just seeing CIA niggers. You run them over, thats what you do.

Attached: 1502049818561.jpg (480x640, 111K)

PRK or Custom Wavefront is the way
I believe you have to wait a one week up to a year of not wearing contacts throughout this period for candidacy cause of hydration/oxygen in your eyes.

yes and you can't fuck it up, machine does actual work
if you have money, go for it. many private clinics give 15-20 year warranty too (depends on your age)
t. literal ophthalmologist
because you can't fix vision once you get old, dumbass

Do it. You will get 20/20 vision just don't fuck up post surgery.

And from a survivalist stand point you'r eputting yourself at a disadvantage.

my gramps got lasered a year ago at the age of 84, check your facts

I wear contacts, because with glasses I cant see out of the corners well when driving. Also, I'm very active in running and swimming.
You want to know why contacts suck?
-They dry out fast, I run about 7 miles every other day and the wind will chap them out. Not to mention when sweat gets between the eye and lens, its a horrible feeling.
-Cant take naps whenever you want. Cant crash at a friends place without carrying some faggot eye case
-If you wake up late and your eyes are puffy, theyll stay puffy all day when you have contacts in.
-Trim your nails lately? Sometimes, finely trimmed nails are still sharp, and you will pinch and scrape your eye repeatedly while trying to take contacts out.

tl:dr fuck contacts.

technically going lasik carries survival risks as well. if you are ever in a physical contact sport / get punched / or hike and have a branch hit your face near your eye or hit your eye you'll need to go see your doctor soon otherwise the flap can reopen and youll go blind.

If you plan on doing physical contact activities then you want to go PRK. Lasik truly never 100% heals from the cut, but PRK does. PRK tho uses a chemical wash where they then scrape the top layer away so the laser can then do the business. The cells are then brought back over and allowed to heal. If the healing process has complications for any reason then they will need to rescrape and reapply the cells.

Also PRK hurts like a bitch compared to Lasik, but it does fully heal.

Not everyone has a spare 50,000 lying around.

Four eyes detected.

>he doesn't get health care for free
In what kind of a shithole do you live, user?

that seems strange, I saw a video of some dude going up to the himilayas and doing like a dozen of the surgeries a day. seems like it wouldn't be all that.

can confirm, I had prk done, eyes were so goddamn itchy

20/20 vision now but I have halos at night and my vision sometimes gets blurry and forces me to blink a few times, and for whatever reason I see way more clearly if there is wind blowing into my face which seems to prompt extra eyelube and turns everything from like 20/20 to whatever is slightly better than 20/20

The kind that doesn't kill children off because the national health care service is bankrupt.

Cataract surgery has existed since the ancient greeks true, but the kind you will get in a modern country is far more advanced.

Lasik is irrelevant today
Now it's all bout the eye-color-changing laser

Attached: chrome_2018-04-25_23-31-21.png (1920x1040, 1.11M)

>50.000 for a simple, minimally-invasive procedure that doesn't even require general anesthesia or a hospital and that's been around for over half a decade
Do you live in the third world? You can't possibly live in a developed place...

Oh, so the kind that kills them off with obesity-induced diabetes and school shootings instead?
50 grand is still a lot for such a trivial treatment, alone. You can't defend that. There's no excuse!

>paying for a human right
huh? What?

>you have a right to another person's labor
spotted the communist

How is your post-op vision compared to when you used contacts?

I just can't imagine better vision than contacts.

>private property is not theft
Spotted the bourgeois scum.

This is a done debate and you lost, kid. Sorry to break it to you. Might wanna consider reading a book next time.
youtu.be/YUXwDMqjC-A

I've never used contacts before

It's absolutely worth it if you can't do anything without glasses/contacts.
t. went from 20/200 to 20/16 (glares suck but glasses and contacts suck more).
>if you are ever in a physical contact sport / get punched / or hike and have a branch hit your face near your eye or hit your eye you'll need to go see your doctor soon otherwise the flap can reopen and youll go blind.
You need to get hit so hard to have the flap reopen after a year since the surgery that you'd severely damage your eyes anyway. And if you do get the flap to reopen, they simply put it back and your vision recovers fully.
>Lasik truly never 100% heals from the cut, but PRK does.
Not true. Only epithelium regenerates, Bowman's layer is lost forever.

My brother went from an eyelet to 20/20 vision
Thinking of getting it done desu, but my vision my be too bad for the procedure

interesting, your country doesn't compensate its doctors and nurses?

>obesity
much rather live in a country where you have the freedom to eat whatever you want than whatever you're imagining
>school shootings
again would much rather live in a country that affords me the right to be responsible for my own protection than one that leaves me defenseless and at the mercy of anyone who would do me harm lest i rely on someone else with a blue hat and stick to rescue wittle ole me

Considering this too, although might make the switch to contacts temporarily and see how that goes. Not so keen on the morning routine of having to fucking insert them though. For the most part, glasses for my myopia are actually super convenient and I don't look like a brainlet to others.

I had lasik at 22 and went from a prescription of -6 to 20/15 vision. Now that I am 30, I have just recently noticed my vision starting to decline a bit again.

In too used to glasses and my vision is still going down at a stable rate. Also what about the glares at night? How bad is it?

>Also what about the glares at night? How bad is it?
Pic related is pretty close to what I see at night.

Attached: Lasik-2.jpg (600x450, 239K)

My eyesight is pretty rapidly deteriorating. I went to get some new glasses for cheap but my new prescription is too thick to get the cheap 2 pair deals. I'm not even 25 yet. I'll probably be legally blind by 40. I'll never be viable for surgery because you have to have the same prescription for 5 years.
The worst part is that I have a big stupid caveman brow that touches the lenses so my glasses are always sweaty and greasy so I'm blind anyway.

Horrible

I once dated a high profile eye surgeon in my country that performed this kind of surgery every single day.

I have a bit of myopia, so I asked her if Lasik (or Lasek) was safe. She told me "absolutely not".

The surgery has an extremely high percentage of complications and they don't even know the consequences in the long run, since the technology is too new to collect significant statistics.

Keep your glasses dude.

Attached: abzZn09_700b.jpg (700x1197, 81K)

>been around since early 90s in US
>over 11million done in US up to 2011

>surprised some people have complications with surgery

He is right though, the percentage of complications is quite high. So is the percentage of people who are satisfied with the surgery.

30 years is "literally yesterday" for medical procedures. You cannot extract significant data of complications in that time.

>too new to collect significant statistics

>In a study of 3,009 consecutive LASIK surgeries performed August 2002 through July 2009 using a femtosecond laser for flap creation, flap complications occurred in fewer than one-half of 1 percent (0.37 percent) of these procedures, and all complications were successfully managed within the same surgical session.

Yeah im sure people in the 90s were questioning the measles vaccine too. Just not enough time to know if its doing harm!

>warranty
What are they gonna do, replace my eyes?

>30 years is "literally yesterday"
What you meant to say is
>30 years is figuratively yesterday and I suck cocks while misusing the word "literally"

edition.cnn.com/2013/08/15/living/literally-definition/index.html

>In a study of 3,009 consecutive LASIK surgeries performed August 2002 through July 2009 using a femtosecond laser for flap creation, flap complications occurred in fewer than one-half of 1 percent (0.37 percent) of these procedures, and all complications were successfully managed within the same surgical session.
This is a such extreme cherry-picking, I don't even.

>i don't like statistics
>flap complications aren't one of the main complications

>implying you cant cure mytopia naturally

youtube.com/watch?v=x5Efg42-Qn0&t=5s

Are there any credible scientific studies that prove that this method actually works? I looked into it before but all I could find was anecdotal claims of its effectiveness.

well, watch the video.

his theory is, that most of mytopia is due to looking at near objects (the higher education you have, the higher the chance of mytopia, since you obviously read lots of books)

so, if you fucked your eyes up, then you can obviously reverse the process by doing the opposite. But of course, its a very slow process..

I'm trying his suggestion to wear slighy + lenses, although my I should be wearing -

>I looked into it before but all I could find was anecdotal claims of its effectiveness.
t. glasses merchant

>his theory is, that most of mytopia is due to looking at near objects (the higher education you have, the higher the chance of mytopia, since you obviously read lots of books)
AFAIK, the most contributing factors to myopia are genetics and not receiving enough sunlight during eye development. Sure, you can "cure" pseudomyopia by stopping torturing you eyes, but you can't do shit if your eyeballs simply have wrong shape - you can't relax your eye muscles more when they are already relaxed.

I'm still waiting for this

ocumetics.com/

Yeah, it's actually quite hilarious how many laser eye surgeons wear glasses or contacts.
Granted, as a professional, you tend to deal with many of the worst complications that can seem to be disproportionately common. The people who never experience complications are those you never hear back from.

Just wear fucking glasses and/or contacts. Yeah, it's fucking horrible and annoying as HELL, but going near-blind is one of the worst things that could possibly happen. Definitely even worse than losing a limb.

Might get ICL implants done.

My father actually had to get cataract's surgery recently and despite the fact that he has premium health insurance he had to pay entirely out of pocket because he had a astigmatism and had to get toric lenses instead of the regular lenses.

Essentially he was going blind from his cataracts and he had to get the surgery done in order to see, his vision was like 20/400 or something absurd like that. So the insurance company was willing to cover the standard lenses, but those wouldn't have worked properly for him and he would have had to wear glasses or contacts to fully correct his vision becuase of the astigmatism. Meanwhile the company refused to cover the toric lenses, which would fully correct his vision, because they saw it as "cosmetic".

The funny thing is that they would have had to pay more in the long run for the standard lenses because they would have had to pay for his prescription glasses/contacts for the rest of his life. It's fucking absurd.

Having health care and health insurance doesn't mean that you're covered for stuff like this. Companies and even governments will take any opportunity they can justify to "save money" even if it means fucking someone over for life and spending more money in the long run because of it.

Are you retarded? If you had any vision issues you'd get why having 20/20 is the dream.

what in the fuck

That's not coming for a long time.

I see this without ever having Lasik, I wear glasses and contacts, all the same, I get this glare. Is there a disease that make some see glare without ever having Lasik?

>genetics and not receiving enough sunlight during eye development.
I'm willing to bet those people are the minority. Many other people (including me) had great eyesight at one point...

Just wear glasses like any other distinguished man.

Attached: 1470360910944.jpg (894x599, 176K)

>30 years is "literally yesterday" for medical procedures. You cannot extract significant data of complications in that time.
You're full of shit.

>Is there a disease that make some see glare without ever having Lasik?
Yes, I have it too. It's when you see badly in dim light, but slightly better in heavy dark and very bright. I guess it's related to the adaption to the changing lights, since it's very bad for me when I see lights at night, like car lamps when I drive.

>Not everyone has a spare 50,000 lying around.
lel being american

> spare 50,000
> tfw my friend got a laser surgery for 60 times less

The flap never heals. Just wear glasses

>50,000 lying around.
WTF, it costs $500-$1000 depends on clinic level here in Russia.

In the UK, even cosmetic surgeries will be covered by the NHS if they're major enough. If you get into a car accident, and your face gets burnt off, they'll pay for the cosmetic surgery to make you look somewhat human again. I'm certain that blindness would never be considered a cosmetic problem, but even if it was, you'd probably be able to have it covered. What you're describing is a problem unique to private healthcare systems. Private health insurance companies directly profit by providing healthcare to as few people as possible. If a health insurance company cuts back on payouts by 4%, their CEO gets a multi-million-dollar bonus. The same can’t be said for a politician who denies people their healthcare. He gets primaried, and he loses his job.

I got laser'd. It helped. A LOT. Warning, though, you will not feel particularly good in your eyeballs following the procedure. It goes away after a day or so.

>you have a right to a fair trial
This is basically slavery. How dare you force that poor judge to give you a trial! This is communism!

He'll have to discard tbem when he joins the anarchoprimitive collective.

My bro got lasik when he was like 28. He's 39 now.

He hasn't worn glasses since or ever brought up his vision.

This, you'd be and should be wearing blue-ray blocking indoor glasses when you stare at monitors for a long time (I assume everyone here deals with something something IT) and you should be wearing sunglasses outdoor to protect your eyes anyway, prescription lenses are available for sunglasses too and if your myopia isn't too bad simple sunglasses will still work a little
Unless your vision deficit is astounding, I'd never permanently cut my eyes voluntarily

>Having health care and health insurance doesn't mean that you're covered for stuff like this. Companies and even governments will take any opportunity they can justify to "save money" even if it means fucking someone over for life and spending more money in the long run because of it.
You are right about the US, however in many countries in Europe the doctors have the ultimate say in the procedure and the most optimal solution is preferred.The insurance companies are forced to pay.

Laser refractive surgery works by deliberately misshaping the cornea to compensate for your eye's incorrect axial length. In doing so it almost invariably induces some form of irregular astigmatism, impacting night vision (halos and starbursting). It also tends to cause dry eyes, requiring eyedrops at least occasionally.

I already see some irregular artefacts at night ( , but milder) and also have dry eyes occasionally. Any prospect of worsening these sympoms is out of the question for me.

I wear rimless glasses with aspheric (reduced distortion) digitally surfaced lenses. My vision is excellent with these and my periphery is still OK since they're rimless. No interest in moving to infection-prone contacts, either.

Can you get the surgery more than once?

Oh, sure, some systems work but my point is that a lot don't and you can't really be sure until you're going up to try to get something done for yourself. And to be fair here in the US things do work out well most of the time if you're on a plan. It's just that things are absurdly expensive when they don't work. Even in places where there's national healthcare systems there are similar sorts of problems where something that obviously should be covered is refused, it's certianly not unique to the US even it it might be a bit more common here.

It could be worse, at least the quality of care here in the US is still pretty fucking good despite it being vastly overpriced.

So people with naturally good vision see street lights as perfect lit spots with no "aura" or radial lines at all? I have to admit that I thought this was normal to some degree. Or do you see something like this, just less extreme?

You can, but there is no point in that case because your vision just keeps getting worse (just like in most people who have normal vision). Your distance vision will be fine though.

>So people with naturally good vision see street lights as perfect lit spots with no "aura" or radial lines at all?

That would be impossible, even with perfect carl zeiss lenses and the best CCD's in $ 10.000 camera's you still have them.

There's a point in it and it entirely depends on how thick the cornea is. They explain it before you take a surgery.

>Can you get the surgery more than once?

Depends on the thickness of your cornea.
Some people can't even have it once.

Thinning your corneas too much with LASIK is also not without risk:
If you get a cataract later in life you might also not be able to have it cured so you'll go blind.
That's something the LASIK clinics will never tell you.

The radial lines are caused by the aperture blades (or the sharp angle between then to be more precise)
For example this 8 bladed aperture will cause 8 radial lines.

The iris in a human eye doesn't have this problem.

Attached: index.jpg (218x231, 7K)

Friendly success reminder:
youtube.com/watch?v=xFYaeqVxN7I

Carson Wentz of the Philadelphia Eagles had Lasik done in the summer of 2017.

Look at the season he had. Explain.

>tfw 20/100 vision
>mfw I will never have 20/10 vision like most jet pilots

Attached: 1524641759751-g.png (485x587, 504K)

that must have been a very dusty room for the laser to be that visible

>tfw not eyelet
Reading through this thread I can really tell I dodged a bullet on that one.

Attached: society.jpg (480x360, 45K)

You will at some point in time my friend

How does it feel to know that many eyelets have better visual acuity post-op than you?