Switching from Windows to Linux

All right, Jow Forumsuys, I really want to switch to Linux, but I have a few questions. Can you provide your perspective?

1. Is there really a point in switching? What do I gain? (gaming in not an issue, I don't have time for it)
2. Which distro is the most friendly to turncoats?(preferably with WIndows' hot keys for window management and stuff)
3. Can this distro work without me having to open terminal for something that WIndows does with 2 clicks of a mouse?
4. How easy is it to install stuff with Wine, especially .Net-reliant programs?
5. How easy it is to use VPN on it?

Attached: Untitled.png (411x187, 91K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/MShbP3OpASA?t=2890
twitter.com/AnonBabble

If you dont work in IT then you're better off with a mac, linux is a complete waste of time unless you have something to gain from it professionally. Desktop linux will constantly break down if you try use it even remotely as much as you use a windows desktop

1. Yes. Autism.
2. Gentoo
3. Use terminal for everything you pussy.
4. Stop using proprietary software faggot.
5. If you're not too retarded it's a piece of cake.
Don't listen to this faggot.

Cinnamon by default has Windows-like keybinds for window management. I use it. You shouldn't be afraid of the terminal because it can make everything easier. Just find out how to do something and then create alias command for it so you don't have to remember it. I have done that for a couple of things. Wine gets better all the time but it's still more risky than native Windows so that should be your mindset from the start. You should be happy if some Windows-only program works perfectly instead of being mad some other one doesn't.

Also ignore Pajeets like who can't stand the idea that people around them learn Linux and they don't.

I've been using desktop linux for years, it's always giving issues. Use any distro and it will go bad within 6 months, that's why distrohopping is so fucking prevalent. Hobby tier shit

Pajeet detected.

1. Mostly a lot of free memory and retarded fast OS all around (unless you're using gnome)
2) Just get xubuntu/kubuntu, it's pozed with systemD and stuff, but nobody cares about linux enough to write a virus to it
3) baby mode linuxes such as ubuntu do that, but "using the terminal" means "just google the shit you want", and you can do that even if your Window manager is dead
4) as easy as searching the shit on whatever package manager is in the linux, you don't even need to go to the net to find the stuff in most cases

If you have such extensive experience then you should have no problem naming a few issues that happened to you. In detail, of course.

>1. Is there really a point in switching? What do I gain?
ensured privacy, better compatibility with certain unix-based applications, customizable in every aspect depending on how much effort you care to put in, less resource intensive. but if Windows already meets your needs and facilitates your workflow, you're just going to see everything as a massive pain in the ass.
>2. Which distro is the most friendly to turncoats? (preferably with Windows hot keys for window management and stuff)
Debian/Ubuntu are fairly user-friendly, and KDE is your best bet for a Windows-like desktop experience. so I'd recommend Kubuntu.
>3. Can this distro work without me having to open terminal for something that Windows does with 2 clicks of a mouse?
No matter what you use, a lot of stuff in Unix-like operating systems is simply easier and more intuitive to do in CLI, and a lot of configuration will have to be done through text files.
>5. How easy it is to use VPN on it?
Very easy. But this is actually one of those things that is going to be a lot easier to do through CLI. You can configure VPNs with the networkmanager GUI though.

good development and learning platform, freedom and free as in beer
>2. Which distro is the most friendly to turncoats?
probably ubuntu or fedora or something. the DE you choose determines your experience more though, if you're entry-level
>3. Can this distro work without me having to open terminal
ya
>4. How easy is it to install stuff with Wine
easy
>especially .Net-reliant programs?
mono exists
easy, use openvpn

Linux is server/router/supercomputer/embedded os, not an average desktop one. Better stick to Windows/MacOS, leave linux to proffesionals

you must be eighteen to access this site

>I really want to have sex with attractive females.

>1. Is there really a point in having sex with attractive females?

Nobody should have to convince you to have sex with attractive females. If you don't want to have sex with attractive females, you might be gay.

Sure, updating nvidia drivers broke the FDD drive encryption display shim that ships by default when you're not using a full GRUB installation.

GTK default file picker on any Gnome based distro

Kernel updates dont automatically remove older versions which inevitably fills up whatever small partition they're stored on, you have to uninstall older kernel versions through update manager.

I'm dealing with those three issues now on this year old install I have on my thinkpad, that's not to mention the constant update failures I'm getting but haven't had time to troubleshoot yet

okay I'm leaving now sorry I didn't read the rules

Nvidia doesn't provide open source drivers, they are closed source. That means if they break something no one else can fix them but Nvidia. Intel and AMD use open source drivers now so I wouldn't want Nvidia hardware on my Linux machines. Even Linus Torvalds said that hardware problems are more of an exception than a rule, everything generally works fine except Nvidia. See youtu.be/MShbP3OpASA?t=2890

Attached: 1481892634492.gif (640x360, 1.55M)

Just go with Kubuntu and dont't fall for memes, it just works, is windows alike and can do pretty much everything that any linux distro does without the autism. On the other hand, if you don't want to use CLI at all, OpenSUSE is where you need to go , it has a GUI for everything you need to do and configure.

1. Yes, mainly customization and security
2. Linux mint or one of the ubuntu varients. Gnome (the desktop plane ubuntu ships with) kind of blows and wont be intuitive to a windows refugee.
3. Pretty much, though if you take the time to learn the terminal it will save you time in the long run. But you really don't have to terminal if you don't want to.
4. It depends on the program. Personally I think you're better off running a vm if you can't let go of your botnet yet.
5. As easy as any other OS

I'm aware of how shit nvidia support is for linux, knowing about it doesn't lesson the problems you'll encounter when you decide to use the most prolific dGPU vendors equipment with linux

Knowing about it makes you choose your hardware better so you can avoid Nvidia. I bought a Thinkpad with Intel GPU rather than Nvidia. My next one will probably have AMD.

>Sure, updating nvidia drivers broke the FDD drive encryption display shim that ships by default when you're not using a full GRUB installation.

You're going to have to break this bullshit down for me because it sounds absolutely ridiculous. You had a feature driven development drive encryption display shim? that ships by default (on what)? not using a full GRUB (why) installation?

I don't know why GRUB didn't install by default but I threw Mint on this laptop and when I enabled FDE it gave a very basic looking log on prompt, after some ACPI control issues I discovered that I was using some FDE log on prompt shim, not the full featured GRUB loader, which is no big deal but when I updated my drivers the FDE decrypt prompt page stopped appearing and I had to reformat.

If you don't have a reason to switch then switching is silly. A linux based distro isn't better or worse than an OS running the windows kernel.

>2. Which distro is the most friendly
There is no best or most friendly distro. One of the bigger ones is Ubuntu (which is based on Debian). There are also many Ubuntu based distros (*buntu). I use a distro called Lubuntu. I don't know much about "hotkeys" for window management for window management. But if you want to install a new OS and have it behave like Windows then you probably want to stick with Windows IMO.

>3. Can this distro work without me having to open terminal
You won't have to use the terminal any more than you do in Windows. But just like in Windows, somethings are easier to do typing it into a terminal. There are some distros that require knowledge of the CLI (gentoo for example). Most like Ubuntu don't. My distro doesn't require the CLI, but I use it.

>4. How easy is it to install stuff with Wine, especially .Net-reliant programs?
Again, it sounds like you want to use Windows. Why are you trying to use a linux based OS? Think about using a Virtual Machine (VM) to run a linux distro if you are hell bent on installing it. Then you will still have all of your Windows goodies.

As easy as it is to install one on Windows.

There is nothing magical or difficult about linux distros...at least the mainstream ones (Ubuntu). Usually people install them because linux distros have something they need. Based on your OP, you don't need it. So I don't know why you want to install it. There is no best distro (only opinions). You are bettor off, imo, doing some reading and find a couple of distros that seem like a good fit. Then you can watch a 'review' of them on youtube. Then you can run a liveDVD, or liveUSB and testdrive a distro w/o installing anything.
GoodLuck!

linux is designed for headless servers. once you understand this one absolute truth everything else falls into place

1. you gain literally nothing except muh open source muh privacy
2. ubuntu with mint or xfce desktop environment
3. most daily tasks are functional through GUI, however when inevitably something fails (and it will) you'll have to fix everything manually anyways
4. some work, some don't. if you rely on .net you shouldn't be using linux in the first place

1) Yes, more responsive system. Like you turn on Windows and you have to wait some seconds that it loads shit. This doesn't happen on Linux.
2) Don't really know about Windows hotkeys but you can configure yours. I'd say go for Ubuntu MATE, Xubuntu (it needs some tweaks tho) or Antergos (makes Arch easy).
3) Yes, don't listen to Jow Forums who are CLI autistics, if you're not going to mess around you don't need terminal that much, but other guys are right, sometimes terminal is faster than GUIs.
4) Use PlayOnLinux and it'll be really easy.
5) Don't know because I don't need a VPN.

... what in the actual hell is that advice, that's like saying if you don't race there's no point in buying a fast car or if your job doesn't require math then don't learn it

No, it's like recommending someone not buy a car that constantly breaks down, if OP wants to repeatedly fix something that breaks down for no good reason than they're more then welcome

I've never had linux 'break down'. I did have a couple issues with it at first, but fixing most of the problems was pretty trivial. Bluetooth still has issues I think unless the devs fixed it, because I didn't. I've had ZERO new problems though in the couple years i've used linux.

So by FDD drive you meant full disk drive drive encryption? For future reference, you don't need to reformat if you know the passphrase. Boot from a live distro.

cryptsetup luksOpen /dev/sdX sdX
mount /dev/mapper/sdX /mnt/whatever
find / -type f -name xorg.conf
replace nvidia with nouveau
save file
reboot

>What do I gain?
Freedom, doesn't cost anything, no sketchy notavirus.exe's, an OS the way you want it to be (Don't like something? Change it)
>Which distro is the most friendly to turncoats?
Xubuntu, Mint, or any KDE distro
>Can this distro work without me having to open terminal for something that WIndows does with 2 clicks of a mouse?
The above mentioned distros rarely require use of terminal but you may prefer it one day
> How easy is it to install stuff with Wine
Depends on the program, if Wine gives you problems just dual boot

I'll bear that in mind in the future, thank you

compelling

Neither GNU or Linux were ever designed for headless servers. They were designed for desktop. Servers just adopted them as well because they were the best option. Once you understand this you can stop shitposting.

You're an idiot. The entire Linux ecosystem is modular, which is a design decision that stems from the requirement of being able to run on a wide variety of platforms.

Oh, I should add that the Unix design originated from a use case that required a mainframe with many terminals attached, which does make it more friendly to servers in general.

Kubuntu is trouble free and easy to use so I can recomend it. For software developer linux sometimes is even better and some stuff have better support for it. If you need office/photoshop/games etc then it might not make a lot of sense to switch. But for general computer usage (internet, email, photos, movies) + working on programming it's very very good.

You're an idiot. The entire point of Linux was for Linus Torvalds to make his own operating system for a computer he bought for himself. Modularity gives the possibility to make it suit anything else as well, but it was not made exclusively for headless servers at any point of its lifetime.

Linux itself is only the central module that allows the programs to interface with the hardware. Linus never went through with creating the whole operating system because the GNU project already existed. Also, I'm not saying that it was designed for headless servers. I'm saying that the current Linux ecosystem is supposed to be compatible with as many different use cases as possible.

>Also, I'm not saying that it was designed for headless servers.
If you aren't then it's common practice to mention that when continuing the reply chain. This person quite literally wrote "linux is designed for headless servers".

1. Better performance, easier to use system, no telemetry or spyware, less worry about malware
2. ZorinOS Lite, Linux Mint Cinnamon/Xfce, Kubuntu
3. In most cases, yes. Terminal is used only if you're a power user so everything a normal person would do is in the GUI. There are times when using the terminal is faster and easier, installing software for example since the GNOME software center is buggy and slow. Though you can install synaptic. Also if you download a .sh or .deb file it's much easier to install/run it in the terminal. Terminal is extremely useful since it shows you any errors encountered, it won't just throw a window saying "an error has occurred" it will.actually say what you're doing wrong and what you're missing.
4. You can install PlayOnLinux (ZorinOS comes with this). It's basically a super easy to use frontend for WINE. You can manage and install dependencies using it in the GUI. You'll never have to use the terminal to install windows software this way.
5. It's as easy.

I see that now, but
>They were designed for desktop
really triggered me and I didn't bother to look before replying.

>1. Is there really a point in switching?
no
/thread

First thing you should know is that there is not a easy learning curve. You can do simple things really easy (web browsing, file management, etc). But if you start wanting to do less surface level things you need to abandon the GUI mentality. The main reason there are not good linux GUI programs for many tasks is because there are excellent CLI programs for many tasks.

Learn to love the CLI and it will reward you with power beyond your imagination. Get stuck in linux GUI programs and you'll be stuck in poorly programmed GUI mess.

you've been compiling from source, haven't you?

does anyone have that webm where anime girls argue which distro is best and then some girl with helmet on comes and pulls up a sign that says install gentoo? need it for shitposting purposes.

Attached: gay_niggers.png (291x381, 28K)

>What do I gain?
Freedom and a faster OS
For beginners I can recommend Ubuntu (any flavour like Kubuntu, Ubuntu Mate, Ubuntu Budgie will also work), Mint, Mageia, MX, Solus and Manjaro.
You don't really have to touch the terminal at all with those distributions, at least for general usage.
Setting up a VPN is piss easy.

Attached: 1517839110887.png (377x496, 277K)

What do you use your pc for?

Just install debian or ubuntu and get over your fear of the terminal.

When I first started, I installed ubuntu and didn't know why I needed it. Now I can't stand using winblows for almost anything.

The biggest pieces of advice I can give are these:
1. Get used to the feeling of confusion and learn to operate through it. This will be crucial to solving your problems. Especially as you are first starting.
2. Nut up and use the terminal. Learn to use apt to install your programs. Learn how to find packages and install them in the term. Learn to call your programs from there. Use the man pages. GLHF

1. freedoms
2. rice
3. animu desktop

i dont play gaymes or photoshop and dont really see the appeal most proprietary software has over libre alternatives, provided they just werk...and not even really then. looks are at least 90% of functionality and loonix just looks better, the occasional glitch wont turn me off, especially when most of the time its my own fault for doing something stupid when something misbehaves.

One evening, Master Foo and Nubi attended a gathering of programmers who had met to learn from each other. One of the programmers asked Nubi to what school he and his master belonged. Upon being told they were followers of the Great Way of Unix, the programmer grew scornful.

“The command-line tools of Unix are crude and backward,” he scoffed. “Modern, properly designed operating systems do everything through a graphical user interface.”

Master Foo said nothing, but pointed at the moon. A nearby dog began to bark at the master's hand.

“I don't understand you!” said the programmer.

Master Foo remained silent, and pointed at an image of the Buddha. Then he pointed at a window.

“What are you trying to tell me?” asked the programmer.

Master Foo pointed at the programmer's head. Then he pointed at a rock.

“Why can't you make yourself clear?” demanded the programmer.

Master Foo frowned thoughtfully, tapped the programmer twice on the nose, and dropped him in a nearby trashcan.

As the programmer was attempting to extricate himself from the garbage, the dog wandered over and piddled on him.

At that moment, the programmer achieved enlightenment.

>1. Is there really a point in switching?
Yes. There are political reasons and technical reasons.
>What do I gain? (gaming in not an issue, I don't have time for it)
I assume you want some of the technical reasons, but I have not used windows in a long time, so I can't really give those.
The system is incredible easy to study, so for programmers, this is very important.
>2. Which distro is the most friendly to turncoats?(preferably with WIndows' hot keys for window management and stuff)
Distro covers how updates are managed and what defaults are installed.
What you are looking for is what desktop is easiest to use for ex windows users.
I personally think KDE is the best option.
You can easily search for hotkeys and change them so they are what you are used to. The defaults are different though.
>3. Can this distro work without me having to open terminal for something that WIndows does with 2 clicks of a mouse?
Depends on what you need to do.
The terminal is a popular way to do a lot of things and it is better to learn how to use it than fear it.
If you ask for help online, you will 99% of the time receive a guide to how to do it through the terminal.
This is because there is many desktops and the "common" thing is the terminal.
I have taught many people how to use linux and it is fairly intuitive if you have the right guide.
>4. How easy is it to install stuff with Wine, especially .Net-reliant programs?
There is a project called "playonlinux" which makes a lot of things easier.
It is not 100% though.
It is a weird mix of really popular things working and really obscure things working and something in between not working.
YMMW
Just as easy as with Windows.

>1. Is there really a point in switching? What do I gain? (gaming in not an issue, I don't have time for it)
Freedom.
>2. Which distro is the most friendly to turncoats?(preferably with WIndows' hot keys for window management and stuff)
Depends on the desktop environment, not the distro.
>3. Can this distro work without me having to open terminal for something that WIndows does with 2 clicks of a mouse?
Depends on what you want to do and your DE/WM
Wouldn't know, I've never used that garbage.
Very.

1. nothing, it's only a tiny bit better really. GNU is basically proprietary software and these projects are so bloated they could even be slower than windows.
2. don't do that. Even the most bloated DE's will still be painful so you should just get used to a meme minimal WM
3. No distro can. You could do like 90% of the things though
4. pretty ez
5. literally 1 command

I switch because Windows 10 kill all my USB port after completing a clean install due to Intel Chipset incompatibility with the new software. Trying to install the outdated Intel chipset software with compatibility mode but windows block it every time.

Since I'm no longer gaming on my PC but just doing some browsing and movie watching I guess installing Ubuntu is the only way. All the USB ports working fine.

I use it as my main OS, everyday, I do a lot of shit with it, almost never broke. Also it's not waste of time if you, like me, enjoy fixing broken parts.

This guy knows it

>GNU is basically proprietary software
In what way?

gpl ain't free

In what way?

it has restrictions so it is not truly free

No, its restrictions are to ensure freedom for independent users and programmers against corporations and to allow free software to remain free. Enjoy your cuck licence. You sound like a retarded libertarian.

>Is there really a point in switching? What do I gain? (gaming in not an issue, I don't have time for it)
Yes, complete control over your system, no nefarious background shit, can customize everything exactly how you want it.
Probably Ubuntu, which is actually a pretty great distro. Debian is better, and with a little bit of effort (like an hour max) can be made as simple and 'just werks' as Ubuntu, but it is a little more technical to set up. Nothing that coying and pasting won't fix, and thats a great way to learn IMO.
You don't need to use the terminal for anything in most modern distros. It's much better to get comfortable with the terminal though as it shows you how everything fit's together and gives you a lot of control. Also scripting and remote working is 10/10 using the CL.
Wine is fucking gay.
Just wurks

1. Is there really a point in switching? What do I gain? (gaming in not an issue, I don't have time for it)
Speed and efficiency.
2. Which distro is the most friendly to turncoats?(preferably with WIndows' hot keys for window management and stuff)
Ubuntu
3. Can this distro work without me having to open terminal for something that WIndows does with 2 clicks of a mouse?
Yes, as soon as someone coded it.
4. How easy is it to install stuff with Wine, especially .Net-reliant programs?
You don't need windows program when using GNU/Linux.
5. How easy it is to use VPN on it?
I don't know, but VPN are useless.

Stop lying and kill yourself, MS shill.

>No, it's like recommending someone not buy a gun because you keep shooting yourself
FTFY