Using USB kill as an attack on "something"

Hello
Have you ever heard about using these devices on people or companies, using similar devices?
Will we be punished for the fact that our pendrive and someone else will use it. My point is to toss it to someone, but the official version is that someone will take it and connect it to the computer.
Were there any such attacks carried out, for example to weaken a company?
Who did look like the law?

root_akronim

Attached: 44021_020_mischievous-schoolboys-dream-usb-kill-pc.jpg (620x287, 25K)

Other urls found in this thread:

eevblog.com/forum/projects/usb-killer-v3-reverse-engineering-in-progress/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

wat

t. Pajeet

How would it weaken a company in any meaningful way?
These things fry the USB ports. An employee might lose half an hour of work time until he gets a replacement.
Who cares?

What?
These little thing shorts the entire mobo.

They only kill the shittiest of mobos.
And again you just replace it. It won't damage the hard disks and cause any important loss.

you only buy the cheapest mobo ?

>These little thing shorts the entire mobo

I doubt that. Looks more like a boost converter to me. You have the typical 8-pin controller chip, output diode, transistor switch, and the large components on the right are either large HV resistors or caps. Don't see a coil, it's either on the other side of the board or integrated in the IC since they do that sometimes. It probably uses the 5V rail as the input and steps it up to 100V or more and then outputs that on the data lines. A small boost converter like that would be low power or else it'd get very hot, maybe a watt or two or perhaps less. But it doesn't need to be high power. The data lines will feed into some kind of high impedance, probably a buffer. It won't draw much current since you're talking a few gigaohms or teraohms for FET input impedances but the high voltage is enough to blow the shit out of the junction since it's way over the breakdown voltage (typically less than 20V). I'd guess that's how this works anyway. I could be wrong.

Attached: mc34063_mk15cm1.gif (650x500, 24K)

The other reason this doesn't short the mobo is that USB is typically current limited. There is a USB controller in every PC and it'll be monitoring the port. If you short it it'll see that you're trying to pull excessive current and will disable that USB port until the overload is dealt with. In simpler devices without fancy USB controllers (phone chargers and battery banks mostly) they'll usually just current limit the port to somewhere between 500mA and 2A and when you try to draw more than that the voltage collapses and the current is maintained at the maximum. Shorting a USB port should never damage anything. Even in lower end motherboards there should still be some kind of protection. Like you'd have to go bottom of the barrel off-brand chinkshit for that scenario to even be a possibility. All the more reason OP's pic is probably a boost converter. Also it says high voltage right on the PCB silkscreen.

Yeah, that's an "USB Killer" it charges up all the caps and then feeds it back to the USB port to fry it.

They're sold as devices to intentionally disable your USB ports.

These days USB ports are often fused individually, so this thing would simply be annoying at worst.

Maybe he's an Apple owner.
All you need to brick an Macbook is a cheap powered USB Hub that feeds power back to the USB port.

> They're sold as devices to intentionally disable your USB ports.
Why would anyone do something like that instead of just removing them?

Attached: 1514243486437.jpg (640x853, 63K)

To stop retarded employees to insert their malware infested pen drives.

But it's easier to order none or remove them, frying them is just wasteful and retarded.

Front panel ports are easy to remove.
But how is it easy to remove back panel ports or ports on a laptop?

Fill with epoxy.

Job done

a) Order a machine without them.
b) Pay someone to desolder them.
c) Disable/remove the drivers.
Bonus: Get decent malware and copy protection, especially if it's an enterprise.

Sounds messy.

Sticking in an USB killer is just that.

Also, I don't know if anyone actually uses an USB killer for that.
It's just the justification the creators of these give.

>Have you ever heard about using these devices on people or companies, using similar devices?
who hasn't?
>Will we be punished for the fact that our pendrive and someone else will use it. My point is to toss it to someone, but the official version is that someone will take it and connect it to the computer.
Imagine if you brought a claymore to work and someone else pulled the trip wire. Guess who's the terrorist.

Yeah
I thought about small businesses, I used to hear about a pendrive that broke into a computer, and manipulated the voltage and frequency that fired the motherboard.
A small company dealing with electronics or websites would get quite well at cost, when such 20 laptops suddenly went to smoke, especially since all compoments are integrated into the motherboard.
Yesterday I saw a similar pendrive again, a description of you on the youtube saying that it was thanks to the program. Now, however, it turned out that it is a simple device for destroying other devices. I know what it is, I know how it works, I even know how to build (I am an electronics) and I know how easy it is, so I just wanted to know if anyone in this simple way tried to expose a company to losses? In the store at the exhibition of electronic equipment (laptops) a group of people can do a lot, especially that there are already such devices for microUSB and those for the iPhone. My question is, were there any actions (bigger / smaller), where this type of device was used ?

Attached: schema_USBK.png (640x312, 60K)

nieoznaczone elementy to domysły ale też proste do zasugerowania
Źródło: eevblog.com/forum/projects/usb-killer-v3-reverse-engineering-in-progress/

eng.
unmarked elements are guesses but also simple to suggest
Source: eevblog.com/forum/projects/usb-killer-v3-reverse-engineering-in-progress/

This one also does the job.

Attached: 1353646658536.jpg (720x503, 40K)

Doesn't India have their own version of Jow Forums? Why the fuck do pajeets come here and not use their own shit instead?

yeah it's super easy to get your hands on c4 right

Attached: k.jpg (800x800, 121K)

Gasoline will work just as well, fire grantee.

Holy shit ted kazscijnksiskscki was a fucking amateur

Attached: 1524730847148s.jpg (200x170, 5K)

>>They're sold as devices to intentionally disable your USB ports.
>Why would anyone do something like that instead of just removing them?
It's just rhetoric the sellers use to cover their own asses. Just like poppers are sold as room deodorizers or some other shit and head shops claim their drug paraphernalia are sold only for using legal tobacco products, etc.

Psssh, some amatuer designed that shit. Do needful and fill up with uranium for big baboom, sir, go to bazaar and ask my cousin, he a very good.

>for example to weaken a company

Attached: Laughs!.gif (851x471, 1.32M)

>c4

Yeah let me just head down to Home Depot and buy some c4

was this even written in english?

Replace C4 with gunpowder grain, Tannerite, etc.