Why does everybody have a different answer when it comes to recommending a first programming language for a novice?

Why does everybody have a different answer when it comes to recommending a first programming language for a novice?

Attached: 1515321629711.jpg (1200x1200, 171K)

because you're asking different people for advice and different people learned different things

They don't. Many people agree on a few languages and recommend them, that happens with most things

because there is no right answer, people who are only going to do scripting should start with Python, people who want to be able to build large applications should start with Java, people who only want to code for fun should start with Lisp, people who want to make games should start with C/C++

Python or C or Lisp

>people who only want to code for fun should start with Lisp
What exactly would one be doing with Lisp? Or what makes it "coding for fun"? Is Lisp too old to get a job with?

its really a different strokes for different folks thing
I started with python which a lot of people said was great cause its mad forgiving but i had no idea and i was doing
i had to learn c++ the next year and it finally all made sense cause i needed more rules to get how computers think

Attached: cowStretch.gif (320x213, 1.93M)

Because you are asking for an opinion. And opinions are like assholes...

Attached: guideTo1stLanguage.png (661x716, 74K)

>starting with OOP
no

>What exactly would one be doing with Lisp?
Lisp syntax is the most clear and symetirical syntax, its almost not syntax at all but like looking at a math equation. Its really a shame that people dont have the time to learn to program this way. But just learning the basics of Lisp will pay off huge dividends if you move on to mainstream languages as it makes functional concepts very intuitive.

>Or what makes it "coding for fun"?
coding for fun means you dont have to use it for work/school and just play around with it

>Is Lisp too old to get a job with?
C is 48 years old, Lisp is 58 years old, not really that much older than languages we use today

There are lisp jobs. Like 5 of them.

>C is 48 years old, Lisp is 58 years old, not really that much older than languages we use today
C standard is still updated, ANSI CL is like 30 years old now.

>ANSI CL is like 30 years old now
except there are a lot more Lisps than just CL, and the features used in modern Lisps are much more advanced than the so called 'updates' you refer to in C

There was a time when we didn't.
Oh how the Jow Forumsreat have fallen.

Attached: sicp1450651227519-1.gif (511x494, 9K)

everyone's got one...........
and they all stink......................

Visual Basic

semicolons are for fags

It's almost like you should decide based on what your goal is, and different people have different goals.

you don't really wanna recommend a language you don't know if they're going to be asking for help

>modern Lisps
Literally toy projects.

replace python with haskell

Ok will give it a shot. What IDE do you recommend?

Like?

emacs

it depends on which Lisp you choose, both CL Scheme are good for playing around with Lisp, Racket is ok for Scheme, Slime on emacs is ok for CL, just as long as the editor you use has matching parenthesis highlighting and auto-indent formating

School taught us Java first because it is "simple".
public class HelloWorld {
public static void main(String[] args) {
System.out.println("Hello World");
}
}

At the beginning we would ask "what is the String[] args for? They would say that we should ignore that for now and learn about it later.
What is the static for? Later, they would say.
Same with public, class etc.

vs C's
#include
int main() {
printf("Hello World\n");
return 1;
}

What is the include? The include loads a different file called stdio.h you can go and actually read it. It is an actual file.
What is printf? It is a function that comes from inside stdio (standard input output) header file. It will write whatever you pass to it back to the terminal.

I just feel like C is easier to teach with.

stupid questions receive stupid answers.

python

There are multiple different starting points that people think are important. I think a modern implementation BASIC is the best to learn flow control for instance, including goto.

That should last you a week or two at most though.

Python is the most easy to just get up and running and start making things that are useful to you, but C is important for understanding what the fuck you are doing. You should understand how memory works and how instructions are stored and executed.

>return 1;

Attached: wot.jpg (662x393, 26K)

And good people start with the basics -> C/ASM.

People approach the topic differently. Some recommend something "easy" and powerful that will get you started on programming. Others think it's necessary to start from the bottom with C or assembly to better understand how your programs actually work. Then there are the people who shill their favourite languages like Rust, C, C++, etc.

???
Why not just
>>print(“hello world“)

I would love to see an absolute beginner go and read stdio.h.

Because its called printf in C

Because there is no such thing as a "novice" programming language. The difficulty comes from the complexity of the project.

Just learn java, it can do everything and you can write projects that actually matter, not just small scale bullshit

Because it is a poorly phrased question.
It assumes that you need to learn all programming languages rather than the ones you are going to use.
It assumes a language is good or bad and other people should know what those things are without giving any criteria.
Learning programming has nothing to do with learning a language.
Learning a language is a practical skill that is so easy, it should not be relevant what language you use unless the course material is linked to that.

It is like asking what computer game is good for beginners.
You play the game you want to play, there is no way get good at FPS by playing RTS. Some skills might translate, but you practice within the thing you want to do.

I'm curious, what the hell is that gif from?

nice bait rajeesh