Ram companies suied

Finally, it happened.

appleinsider.com/articles/18/04/27/samsung-micron-hynix-allegedly-conspired-to-keep-dram-prices-high-class-action-suit-filed

Attached: s-l1000.jpg (875x632, 102K)

Other urls found in this thread:

appleinsider.com/articles/18/04/27/samsung-micron-hynix-allegedly-conspired-to-keep-dram-prices-high-class-action-suit-filed
archive.is/RAZJE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

about fucking time...

sued*

Yeah, but how long until we start seeing prices drop? I want to buy 16GB of fucking ram already.

It was about time

great scumbags

Attached: 1524771957149.jpg (683x800, 195K)

now the ram price can go up due to litigation!

>he didn't buy ram for the duration when the suit is actually filled for
>he doesn't live in the US
>he thinks the price will drop even after the court decision thath will likely take several years to happen

>The class action applies to anyone in the U.S. who purchased a device using DRAM —including Macs, iPads, and iPhones —between July 1, 2016 and Feb. 1, 2018.

The sad part is that there's nothing to stop them from doing it again, the profits to be made far outweigh any losses from years of litigation and losing the case.

time to set a factory on fire

>appleinsider

Attached: 1521069202759.gif (680x1075, 282K)

Let me guess:
- It'll take like 3 years for anything to result from this
- They'll eventually pay like 50 million dollars each as a fine (a drop in the bucket) and promise to behave in the future
- 5 years later they'll do it again.

Last time, $760 Million dollars in collective fines were paid. 3100 days of total jail time served. It’s amazing what you can learn if you fucking read.

Which was still a drop in the bucket, and they still did it again.

F I N A L L Y
I
N
A
L
L
Y

>appleinsider.com/articles/18/04/27/samsung-micron-hynix-allegedly-conspired-to-keep-dram-prices-high-class-action-suit-filed
Archived. archive.is/RAZJE

Where's the chink DDR4

you idiots do realize that if tehy are fined they will simply move these costs to consumers ?

Crime pays when you're a wealthy corporation. Ask Intel

but, wait, wasn't the free market supposed to fix this?

welcome to the free markets!
>inb4 it's not a free market!
I would say the IT/electronics markets are the freest markets out there. they are barely even regulated, and even when they are, they take advantage of being multinational companies, where not a single government can't do shit, because they produce their shit in one place and they sell it elsewhere

Samsung and Hynix pleaded guilty to the DOJ's charges and paid paid a collective $731 million in criminal fines, and served a collective 3,185 days of jail time.

>3,185 days of jail time.

when and who served this time???

Attached: robotjox1_758_426_81_s_c1.jpg (758x426, 32K)

The fuck are you talking about? They'll be looking at another lawsuit if they do that.

>collective 3,185 days of jail time.
Yea I was confused by that too. I think it's just a poorly written article.

3185 days is like 8 fucking years.

I had to request a quote for a physical server the other day, had one 8GB DDR4 dimm just one. Line item for that was $695. don't care that it's ECC or not that's ridiculous

Attached: Da_bU9BU8AAREEI.jpg large.jpg (725x640, 113K)

>how long until we start seeing prices drop?
This can take anything from 7 to 15 years to finish.

>Yeah, but how long until we start seeing prices drop? I want to buy 16GB of fucking ram already.
Meanwhile u earned dozen times more. You Focking onion dipshit.

Which would amount to pennies compared to the 50% increase they've artificially created.

>Pay fine
>To make up for lost money, they price fix even more, but cover their tracks better

Yeah this will be great. Cause the last time they were sued they learned their lesson, right? There needs to be serious jail time for everyone involved to actually learn their lesson

There is literally nothing wrong with what they did. The free market would have fixed it.

>All milk bottles suddenly cost 50$.
NO WORRIES THE FREE MARKET WILL FIX THIS.

there is no free market, mate. no one even wants an actually free market.

>""""""""""Allegedly""""""""""

That would be the perfect time to get some cows and make a killing.

>production slightly dropped
>samsung changing factory output from NAND to DRAM

PRICE FIXING

But it's collective, so maybe a ton of execs served a month each in a white collar prison. Or they sent an army of fall guys to serve a week apiece.

>4 companies have to supply ram for the fucking world
>can't be capacity issues

remember when 1 fucking factory got flooded or whatever in taiwain. Like 4 years to get back on track

think of all the dell pcs etc pumped out daily using all that ram

Yes.

Ok. The partially free market would have fixed it.

if there were 4 farms in the world supplying milk, would you be surprised?

and even then it would because supermarkets would sell it as a loss leader

>There is literally nothing wrong with what they did.
except that there is extensive and explicit legislation against it in most countries including land of the free

I'd be more prone to believe that if they didn't pull the exact same stunt 10 years ago.

They literally admitted that they were guilty.

>mobile demand for ram increase
>computer ram expected to increase 16% next year
>4% increase in supply is all they can do in < 1year
>greedy gamers hogging all the ram

I blame web devs.
They're the reason mobile and other facebook machines need so much RAM.

Why does legislation like that exist if the market would have fixed it?

You seem to be missing the obvious. All money the corporation has comes from consumers.

>going to take probably 3-4 years for a judgement
>even if guilty they pay 100-300million fine
>prices still same
>ddr5 probably coming around then
>price will be higher

>cows suddenly cost 1000000$.
Gotta love the free market, right?
Jokes aside
Do you seriously believe that? Then go ahead and tell me how the free market would fix it. And don't say something retarded like just don't buy. There are people whose jobs/lives depend on a pc, as well as a lot of people that just won't care about artificial price increase, they will just get the cheaper thing, that is still overpriced.

>there is literally nothing wrong with a price fixing collusion

If a single company keeps the prices up then your """free market""" will fix it. If all the companies are making secret agreements with each other to keep the prices up for everybody then it will only get fixed when the authorities intervene.

Attached: 1447587377643.png (625x626, 54K)

Other businesses would come and drive the prices down. It doesn't always happen immediately but if something looks profitable, a company will see that opportunity and enter the market for it.

Start a business that will fill the price gap.

Then they could just temporarily drop the prices to drive out the new competitor. There is a reason for the rules and regulations we have.

>Start a business that will fill the price gap.
Dude that's a great idea. You go start that business while I'll start making the logo. Samsung is finished!

>Start a business that will fill the price gap.
While in most cases you'd be right, there's such a thing as a natural monopoly.

Attached: SHUT IT DOWN.jpg (300x168, 12K)

There is?

fuck yes

Bootlegging and smuggling are essential parts of the free market too. When jewery reaches a profound enough height criminal work arounds become cost effective and that is a market correction.

Hasn't been fixed yet. Some chink company would fix it. Computer parts are tough to make, so things take time. High taxes and IP laws don't help either.

>Fine
I don't think you understand what is going on here - this is class action lawsuit, ie. civil law.
If they win, a bunch of people will get a cash settlement, that's it.

There is no 'fine'.

oh shit, better let them keep getting away with it

Enjoy your goat milk for 22$ then.

>Intel has stagnated and overcharged lately, we need AMD to release Ryzen to get competition going again
>IF THE FREE MARKET ACTUALLY WORKED THE THREE MAJOR DRAM OEMS WOULDN'T BE PRICE FIXING

Capitalism has failed!

Attached: 1437768957860.jpg (390x504, 64K)

You do understand that the capacity of the chip is not directly correlated with the ability to manufacture the chips in volume, yea? Nay? Okay?

I just bought 8GB DDR4 for 90 dollars, fuck you

Used 128gb of ram costs more than the server itself xD

The consumers are the ones that are gonna get paid cash if they win. That's how law suits work.

Capitalism tends to fail when monopolies happen.
But turning everything on a mega corporation that is also the government is not a good solution, no matter how "well intended" the leader is.
A good replacement for capitalism is probably some sort of gamified capitalism that use tiers and shit to always warrant competition, and a very powerful nerf on patent and copyright systems, where it's illegal to block a product from being released with em (you just can get a fair share of the profit).

>these companies control 96% of the market
>start your own business and fix the price gap
>when 96% of all ram production is controlled by these companies

why not just have functional trust busting laws

That might work too, but it's a bit hard to implement.

ARE YOU SERIOUSLY THAT DUMB?

Wrong. Joe from down the road will take his $40 billion dollar capital and start his own DRAM fabrication business. He'll be up and running on his own design of a 7nm DRAM fabbing process in a few months, and will drive the prices of DRAM down simply because he can afford to price lower.

you don't get milk by killing the cows, user

this will happen but there are way to scare them off from doing it again
for example give a CHARLIE HEBDO style visit to their main offices or families of managers, treat them to violence rape and mutilation before ultimately killing them
All on HD video of course, for everyone to see and learn

THANK YOU ADAM SMITH

They would be more scared of having a 5% drop on the profits.

>Capitalism has failed!
Isn't that the argument the shills use is that capitalism works because of competition. If someone is producing a product and overcharging for it, someone else can come along and produce the same product at a lower price and force the other company to lower their prices too. So where the fuck are all the entrepreneurs to start manufacturing cheaper RAM?

>So where the fuck are all the entrepreneurs to start manufacturing cheaper RAM?
Very few entrepreneurs have access to billions of dollars needed to do that. And even if they did, it would take years before they could start producing enough to make an impact.

So how does it foster competition when the competition is artificially limited to a tiny portion of the population.

dude just start a competitor lmao

Chinks will catch up some day.

a company went to jail?

Well obviously a company can't go to jail. They just built the jail around the company.

Attached: 1494288532453.jpg (680x598, 48K)

You do realise 2 of the 3 ram manufactures are Korean right?

They are gooks not chinks.

>apple users are sooooo stupid RIGHT GUYS ;;DD

There’s a difference? Well then I think I need to spend a bit more time in Jow Forums

>all their several thousands workers get several hours inside a jail
>the workers don't mind as it just like tour paid by company

korean = gook
chinese = chink
japanese = nip

Still, companies may now stop price fixing since this is over their heads. The longer they do it they highler liklihood they lose this suit and pay out more.

This. Browsers are bloating up like crazy due to browser makers and website devs.

But to be fair to them - I need more RAM for VMs.

Good luck creating a brand new RAM making manufacturing company without the lobbyists needed to pay off senators like Obama to not sicc the EPA on your ass.

The most you should assume this has done is cement current RAM prices and keep them from rising even higher.

Instead of believing a return to the past prices is going to happen, wait a fiscal quarter or two and watch RAM prices.
I bet you my poorfag PC it's going to stay level.

And vietnamese, Laotians etc?

Oh thats possible, but thats still good I guess. Better than further rising.

idk, those are just ones i've seen often enough to connect together, i don't visit Jow Forums

Only a complete moron would try to build fabs in the US or EU.

Just place your company in Somalia.
No evil government to hinder you!

this is correct. see the "taiwan flood" 10 years ago that cause HDD prices to be inflated even today.

in my day gooks were vietnamese

Are you under the impression I’m an anarchist?

Or do you not know what minarchism is?