Is telegram trustworthy?

Seeing that Russia can't block it for the life of them, and have started blocking themselves.
What a shit hole.

Attached: 20180428_141826.png (1200x1200, 93K)

Other urls found in this thread:

securemessagingapps.com/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_instant_messaging_clients#Secure_messengers
privacytools.io/#voip
motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/gvzw5x/secure-messaging-app-wire-stores-everyone-youve-ever-contacted-in-plain-text
crysp.uwaterloo.ca/opinion/wire/
play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.wire
wire.com/en/download/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

No. They see your messages.

They still haven't implemented full end to end encryption, still have to sign up with a mobile number and take too long to release the source code after each update.

Attached: 5e216ccb72967fa7e7eb094987d16fb777c9542b2874a440698e9d30e1507546.jpg (554x439, 106K)

All mainstream app bloated and have face security.

No.

>social networking software
>social

leave this board

No.
The creator of telegram to the largest Russian/CIS facebook clone taken away from him under susppicious circumstances, after which hed fled Russia.
His oppositin to Russian government may as well be out of pure spite, with little regard to actual users.

>Seeing that Russia can't block it for the life of them
They never tried.
It's closed-source software with no encryption by default.

If you want security, use Wire.
If you want security+ give access to basically everything in your phone, use Signal.

>Is telegram trustworthy?
closed source isn't trustworthy, so nope

>If you want security, use Wire.
"If you want security, use Signal." - fixed for you
based on:

Signal > Wire per security and privacy reasons,
but whatever, they both good alternatives, as they completely Open-Source,
not like Wickr

Signal - "Does the app encrypt metadata? = YES"
Wire - "Does the app encrypt metadata? = MOSTLY"
source: securemessagingapps.com/

Signal - "Does the company log timestamps/IP addresses? = NO"
Wire - "Does the company log timestamps/IP addresses? = SOME"
source: securemessagingapps.com/

Signal - "Profile information = STORED; CLIENT-SIDE ENCRYPTED"
Wire - "Profile information = STORED; NOT CLIENT-SIDE ENCRYPTED"
source: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_instant_messaging_clients#Secure_messengers

Signal - "Chat metadata = NOT STORED"
Wire - "Chat metadata = STORED"
source: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_instant_messaging_clients#Secure_messengers

Signal - "Profile information = NOT STORED"
Wire - "Contact lists = STORED"

"Wire - Caution: The company keeps a list of all the users you contact until you delete your account."
source: privacytools.io/#voip

P.S. If you care about needing phone number to register, just get free pre-paid even internet one and forget about it.

The client is free software.
It could be much worse.

>Wire
"In May 2017, Motherboard published an article saying that the Wire servers "keep a list of all the users a customer contacted until they delete their account". Wire Swiss confirmed that the statement was accurate, saying that they keep the data in order to "help with syncing conversations across multiple devices", and that they might change their approach in the future."

Source: motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/gvzw5x/secure-messaging-app-wire-stores-everyone-youve-ever-contacted-in-plain-text

Use wire. Unlike signal it doesn't need a SIM card or a phone.

Attached: Comparison of IMs.png (827x560, 104K)

>list of all the users a customer contacted
So? They can do absolutely nothing with this information.

>Wire

"In December 2016, Wire's whitepapers were reviewed by a security researcher at the University of Waterloo. The researcher praised Wire for its open approach to security, but identified serious issues that still need addressing. These included a man-in-the-middle attack on voice and video communications, possible audio and video leakage depending on unspecified codec parameters, the fact that all user passwords are uploaded to Wire's servers, significant attack surface for code replacement in the desktop client, and the fact that the server is not open sourced.

The researcher described the security of Wire as weak in comparison to Signal, but also depicted its problems as surmountable."

Source: crysp.uwaterloo.ca/opinion/wire/

>man-in-the-middle attack on voice and video communications, possible audio and video leakage depending on unspecified codec parameters
This has been fixed for a year now.

Wire is also storing chat profile and don't forget chat metadata, basing on

>This has been fixed for a year now.
>crysp.uwaterloo.ca/opinion/wire/
Update (2018-02-21) - so I don't think so...
if it is please add source

>chat metadata
Again, irrelevant and nothing can be done with it. It just means they know when a message was sent.

So less privacy, at least for me.

Wire is non free
> Start a free trial
> 30-day free trial
Stop shilling this shit.

>The remaining issues with Wire are relatively minor and also affect many of its competitor
So it's literally nothing. And you've posted the source yourself. Read everything again.

Compared to what? Telegram is shit and also lacks privacy, Signal requires SIM cards which are backdoored and centralized technology, thus removing all privacy again, other alternatives are closed source except Riot which has telemetry and disabled encryption by default.

You're fucking retarded, kill yourself.
play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.wire
wire.com/en/download/

I dislike signal, since it requires video permission to place voice calls, requires sim phone number to register, requires access to your contacts if you want to name a contact and wants to be SMS app.

All those are huge red flags to me.

Server is closed.

There is nothing personal.
Contact info contains just a nickname.
And I don't need to share my address book with it.

Wire is completely free for personal use.
It is premium for businesses and companies.

>Conversations from F droid
Thank me later

>No calls
>All the hassle of xmpp
No.

What about Zom?
>don't need registration
>free and open source
>groups, file sharing, voice sharing
Seems to only lack calls and group calls like every other XMPP client.

if you want fast message sending and calls literally anywhere in the world, use it
if you want a private messenger, use wire
signal is never the best choice, no matter who tells you

It uses Omemo in place of xmpp

So I don't need to choose server and monitor them for updates?
And I don't need to send everyone my new nickname in case I change servers?

botnet

Arent the secret chats full end to end?

Sarcasm will get you nowhere.

Ugh I hate this meme of no encryption by default and so on. The only people too stupid to not create a secret chat are the same retards that do not care about privacy in the first place.

That was not sarcasm.

>No encryption in anything but private chats
>No encryption is a meme
Ok.

there is encryption in non private chats as well but it is not end to end, it is client-server which admittedly is not amazing but it is definitely not the same as no encryption.

how come that created private chat can't be seen on PC?

because it uses end to end encryption between your client and the other users client which prevents your computer from seeing it

>Signal requires SIM cards which are backdoored and centralized technology, thus removing all privacy again
You know you can always use one time free pre-paid SIM.
Even the Internet Phone Number will do.

Use Signal or Wire, because others are closed source shit.

so Viber's end-to-end encryption by default is a joke?

Cant speak for viber specifically but that is highly likely yes

>client-server encryption
>Server is closed-source
Yeah, "not amazing" is an extremely understatement.

Still I do not see why it is such a big deal, if you want the end to end then just create a secret chat, it is so easy even a normie can figure it out.

>use one time free pre-paid SIM and risk losing the account forever

>wire
Smells like curry

Attached: inhuman.jpg (241x215, 9K)

Secret chats use DH to agree on encryption key, presumably without signing the values exchanged, which means that even with fully open-source client secret chats are subject to MitM attacks by Telegram servers, users none the wiser.

>still have to sign up with a mobile number
Certain textnow numbers work

I'm from Swiss and I'm using free pre-paid SIM and didn't even once lost the number or other accounts. Stop being Swiss forgetful whore, because you can do same with the passwords.

It’s more trustworthy than kik which has a pdf for law enforcement on their website.

>What a shit hole.
Agree, but we have toilets. Why do ustards employ indians but not russkie?

Why would you have a SIM card in 2018?

>developers of libre open source software should be forbidden from making money
Kys, commie

Why wouldn't you?

Backdoors, battery drain, supporting bad centralized services. Even if it's gratis you shouldn't use it.

If you don't have physical SIM
you have eSIM
which is worse.

>you have eSIM
No I don't

and the end to end encryption they do use is closed source homegrown bs untested algo. and sends your keys through their central servers not p2p

Wire is closed source. Signal is funded by the us govt and moxie likely works for mossad.

The secret chat function sends your keys through their central servers. It's shit

Telegram the company is trustworthy.

Using Telegram the software doesn't magically make you untappable by government agencies, nor was this ever claimed by Telegram the company.

because telegram only supports e2e encryption on the phone app so they can tie you to a location and or phone number

So you don't own the mobile phone?

signal is fully funded by the us govt and all its servers run on Amazon which is a huge cia/NSA contractor

Is that true?

I assumed e2e encryption is just limited to two devices because setting up a group with everything encrypted end to end is a lot more complicated.

All data is encrypted so they see nothing...
What's more Signal code (client and server) is open per open source and was audited, nothing was found, so it's clean.
Stop spreading FUD.

Wire is open source project you dumbhead.

Sadly the people I know that stopped using Facebook messenger or Whatsapp have moved to this instead. There truly is no hope.

Attached: 1391619477159.png (289x369, 67K)

>Wire is closed source
Both client and server are open.

If they cares about "muh top sekret communications" they wouldn't be using Facebook messenger in the first place.

Telegram is very useful, and secure enough for your daily chats.
Pedophiles can use something else instead, nobody is forcing you to use Telegram.

Wire is completely e2e.
You can have multiple devices simultaneously.

Telegram is just shit. Probably with FSB Backdoors in the server.

>Probably with FSB Backdoors

If the FSB had backdoors they wouldn't ban it, now would they?

Fact is they did not.
It works as expected.

Except now the whole world is sure that this closed-source garbage is Pinnacle of privacy.

>Tfw WhatsApp is more secure than telegram

Russians can still use it through a VPN, sure.
But FACT is it's banned.

And FACT is American companies are far less trustworthy.

>Russians can still use it through a VPN, sure.
Even without.
It is not blocked.
You can as on Russian 2ch for proofs.

>FACT is American companies are far less trustworthy.
Wire is Swiss

Oh right, WhatsApp totally didn't give backdoor access to the Saudi government or anything, its just an amazing coincidence that theyre the only "encrypted" platform allowed in the country.

Wire is also shit tho

It may leak metadata like crazy but the conversations are verified safe by the creators of signal.

>Open source server and client
>Allows registration without phone
>Useful with way less permissions than signal
>Completely e2e encrypted unlike telegram

Pretty good in my book

>Shares metadata with the NSA/cia/FBI
>Laggy, unreliable, bad ui, poorly coded

Yes I do? Why are you confused? You don't need a SIM card any more than you need an mSD.

>Metadata
Absolutely nothing personal is stored.
Once again, you don't even need a sim card to use it.
>Laggy, unreliable
Now you are just lying.

And all of my points are still valid.
So yeah, best secure messenger so far.

Signal>riot>threema>conversations>ricochet>wire>WhatsApp>Allo>carrier pigeon>telegram

Bro, I've used it and it sucks to use compared to anything else and they do keep metadata and they don't even encrypt it

>Metadata
Yes.
>Used
I use it daily. No problems

I mean, congratulations on being content with a mediocre service. Can't really get my friends to use something that shitty tho

>Can't really get my friends to use something that shitty tho
Great arguments.
You now may continue to shill for the closed-source unencrypted service.

>Saying great argument as an argument
Great argument
Who do you even use wire with, your mom?

after reading this thread, all im hearing is there is no trusted msging app yet. WTF. Why isnt there an open source one?

>Why isnt there an open source one?
Wire.
Both server and client are open.
No need for a phone number.
Encrypted by default.
Normies accessible.

Pgp emails through tutanota

is that normie accessable?

Moreso than wire. It's easy af actually
>is that normie accessable?

only thing is its so niche that you will be target ted just for using it...

>signup with a mobile number
wrong

>message
>social network
check your chromosomes

>Emails are niche
Okay lol

sending a string that can be detected as pgp through a service that offers no logs and is privacy focused like tutanota is niche.