What is the target demographic for niche OSes like Solaris, FreeBSD, and Haiku?

What is the target demographic for niche OSes like Solaris, FreeBSD, and Haiku?

Attached: maxresdefault[1].jpg (960x720, 43K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/cNnVvgTiX6k
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

The first two are for true Unix gentlemen. The third is for people who want to relive their BeOS memories.

Solaris is for presumably Sun Microsystems stuff. FreeBSD is for losers. Install OpenBSD. Haiku is gay hipster autism.

>FreeBSD is for losers. Install OpenBSD.

Go home, Theo. You're drunk.

>FreeBSD is for losers. Install OpenBSD.
What's the big difference other than developers?

autists who don't like a specific thing in a single distro and instantly begin to hate everything Linux has ever touched

They want something better than GNU can provide.

I wish I was Theo.

The developers make the difference. OpenBSD is meticulous about everything. That's why it is so great at security. FreeBSD on the other hand is just BSD on life support.

You don’t chose Solaris. If you are running Solaris you are probably stuck with legacy or really niche needs and those cost millions.

FreeBSD is dismantled and it’s pieces are used by companies who needs Linux but hates freedom like Sony and Apple. If you are running FreeBSD as an end user after they’ve started diverting donation money to diversity training then you are most likely a retard.

Haiku is a toy operating system. Nobody really uses it outside testing in a VM. It’s on the same class as ReactOS.

Me

D R A G O N F L Y B S D

>FreeBSD is for losers.
Agree
> Install OpenBSD
Disagree.

If you want BSD, install Dragonfly BSD

>if you want meme OS install meme OS flavor 30
ftfy

>ftfy
But you are wrong.
It's the one with interesting ideas and it's not stuck in the past like OpenBSD, who's FS still doesn't have TRIM.

Dragonfly has great FS (hammer v2) and Superior multi thread performance.

Sadly DragonFly is the only BSD where actual development and innovation are being made now that FreeBSD is sending all its corporate and donation money to Handy Harper.

I only wish dragonfly could into energy saving.

I get ~8 hours on my 2 years old ThinkPad with Linux, but on dragonfly it drains in a couple of hours.

And still no support for Intel 8260 wireless.

Linux is where all the cool stuff is actually implemented. DragonFly may bring some new stuff to the table but their team is small. The problem with FreeBSD are the years of total stagnation (god dammit last year VIMAGE was still marked unstable) and to add insult to injury they seem to be more interested in diversity than to fix their own shit.

That's why I'm currently using Void Linux as my main OS.

But I really want to give dragonfly a try. Maybe when I have a proper PC again.

autists

Solaris and FreeBSD are where we will migrate to when the botnet finishes consuming GNU/Linux, which is already in progress. Pick the most obscure platforms if you want to be free.

>I wish I was Terry A. Davis

Your wish might not come true, but you at least talk to him:
youtu.be/cNnVvgTiX6k

In case you've been living in a cave for the last 15 years Solaris is owned by a botnet company and FreeBSD will turn you over to the authorities for having wrong think.

>Dragonfly BSD
There's a reason why Dragons went extinct user. And Dragonfly BSD is on the same path.

This is a bizarre quote edit.

Dragonflies still exist, user.

>OpenBSD
>no actual development and innovation
0/10

I am using Solaris for my companies server since years. It's running stable and i plan to setup an additional media file server for my home for private use.

I administer quite a few Solaris servers for work - as far as target demo goes - literally no-one. Its extremely obvious to all that Oracle has abandoned in and now is pushing people toward other products (Oracle Linux for instance). Problem is a ton of people are going to hold on to Solaris until their insane contracts run out (2034). It has a lot of nice features, but nothing that doesn't exist elsewhere as other OS's have caught up and Solaris development toward new features just doesn't exist anymore. Not a bad stable platform for those who need that though.