Are NUCs the future, or are they just yet another niche form factor which will die out?

Are NUCs the future, or are they just yet another niche form factor which will die out?

Attached: EpazJGvMHT34rD4KCR5qC6-1200-80.jpg (1200x675, 72K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=V3O3I_rovhU
youtube.com/watch?v=3J_yUKQk0dA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

NUC is just something that fits between custom ITX and laptop. There's a market for everyone.

You're 5 years too late to discuss it's future. NUCs still haven't broken into mainstream, so they'll probably continue to be niche.

>Are framing hammers the future, or are they just another niche tool which will die out?

It's almost as if different form factors have different use cases...

An itty bitty computer for your cuckshed.

Some companies are replacing their desktops with miniPCs, so they're already the present not the future in some cases.

Home users have more diversified needs and many of them are fine with just shitty mobile devices.

So, this format definitely has some future, but it may not be a universal one-size-fits-all solution.

Gamers will continue to want the biggest rigs just because in a big PC case they have more space for RGB LEDs than in a small-form computer.

If intel made a "designed" case with aluminium and other bullshit like Apple does, they would probably double their sales.

Normies buy based on aesthetics and these look too plain for normie taste. They would have to look flashier and more minimalistic and would need to have already supplied components, because normies are too lazy or afraid of installing their own RAM and SSD.

That's why these are still pretty much used mostly by tinkerers or companies.

Not in the least also because they're too expensive to justify buying if all you need is to browse the web and write some documents.

And frankly, who would buy this as a dedicated gaming machine?

While this has very little use case in the mainstream at the moment, I work in a warehouse in which these are all we use. Literally every single computer we have is a mini PC, and we have a couple hundred of them.

The model in your pic looks really good imo (apart from the retarted skull logo), but it is pretty expensive. Has quite a lot of different ports though.

Attached: Intel_NUC8i7HVK .png (1732x720, 569K)

Nucs are great for labs

I'd like a NUC that's cheaper and has less processing power.
Most SFF cases are not small and compact enough. I'd like something that's like the Intel NUC but has only a 2400G or 2200G, 8GB of RAM and a small 128GB SSD in it. Make it cost 500€ or less. I'd use that as a living room discrete HTPC to stream games from my desktop computer in my room to the living room, play movies and music, etc streamed from my local server and desktop computer, watch Netflix, etc.

I can't seem to find SFF PCs that have Ryzen 2200/2400G in them with very tight components. It's all either very expensive or old tech with not that small form factor cases.

If Intel, or AMD, expand the NUC range to also include barebones low-power computers to the current high-end ones, I'll be really happy. Sadly, it seems like this market is kinda gone thanks to Botnet of Things, SmartTVs, Alexa, etc.

good for offices

Thinclient arm-powered monitors are the future. Everything will be software as a service, streaming, with DRM.

Don't care about NUCs, but Chinese mini Windows HTPC work fine. Small size low cost media viewing / office workstation things for people that need the usual low end x86 software.

Nah, most of the world isn't biting much on SAAS.

Arm looks to remain Android-like, with local apps doing most things.

How are these things for a media center slash emulation machine? I'd like something small and decently powerful which o can hook up to some external storage

Most are honestly overkill for both applications, unless you want to do 6th gen console emulation.

There are a bunch of models, an appropriate one should be fine.

Actually depending on what you want to emulate, even pic related is fine. There are two-three emulation focused premade distributions for this.

And in-between (in terms of performance) you got the various cheap Chinese HTPC.

Attached: odroid_xu4_passive.jpg (423x375, 137K)

I've just managed to get a think center m93 for £60. I got it for this purpose, when I finally get round to it I'll post more.

Videos for the XU4:
youtube.com/watch?v=V3O3I_rovhU
youtube.com/watch?v=3J_yUKQk0dA

the heck is SS10 or that yellow port?

Charging port for higher amperage devices.

>I'd like a NUC that's cheaper and has less processing power.

so you want a Raspberri Pi 3+?

what's the point when a docked laptop does the same job but with even better portability?

If you think the future is having a tiny heat box that will burn up the moment you do anything demanding then sure.

fucking hammerlet, i can upgrade my hammer and it costs less.

bet you cant even get open source drivers for your hammer components

get back to /v/hammer/

I find that my framing hammer is perfect for anything from ripping out 2x4s to finish carpentry.

I tried pounding a nail in with my nuc and it didn't do shit.

For office PCs they are the future
For Werkstations and Gayming they aren't yet and in the near future probably won't be.

Does it have a 24/200G, 8GB of ram and a 128GB SSD (probably connected via Sata or M.2 on 4 PCIe3 lanes).
No
So the answer is no as well.

They great for school and universities or library in poor country.

Many company now approach to the BYOD (Bring your own device) to worksplace model rather than provide their worker with device in worksplace. It's cheaper that way.

yes, my school have a entire classroom with like 25 NUC behind the monitors

Attached: nuc7-front.jpg (1024x591, 52K)

I got a ASUS UN65U-M021M VivoMini Barebones PC this past September and I enjoy it. Once I get my office set up I would like to mount it somewhere so I can be minimal looking.

Attached: asus_un65u_m021m_vivomini_un65u_intel_core_1319355.jpg (1000x1000, 53K)

Seems to me NUCs are priced wrong and target the wrong market. They will probably be great if that changes. It's pointless as long as they are generally more expensive than regular desktops. Small size isn't worth more than easy maintenance and upgrades.

How is a NUC better than a mITX in a tiny case?

They look nice but until we find some magical way around the laws of thermodynamics there's always going to be a benefit to having a larger case with better airflow

small form factor pcs that big have existed since the 90s lmao

Any examples? Post their dimensions too.

And how much compute power did they have.