Does anybody feel like the current state of tech is weird?

Does anybody feel like the current state of tech is weird?

I have a chromebook Pixel with 4GB and while this is undoubtedly outdated at this point, it is still able to do what it was designed for (under Linux).

Most devices are like that right now. You can buy an "outdated" phone from 2015 and it isn't really going to be lacking anything.

Unless if you are rendering, doing CADwork, or gaming pretty much any device can do the same thing. Yet we are more than ever obsessed over the latest gadgets.

Attached: tucker_0.gif (392x241, 1.48M)

at the same time, things that used to last decades like cars and washing machines become flimsier and flimsier, continuously being downgraded upwards making sure to break once the guarantee expired.

Attached: tumblr_oy71loIFmf1vixfeio1_1280.png (800x1056, 525K)

Cars last longer now than they ever have in the past

Is that so? Even considering the electronics?

Yes even with the electronics, and the sensors just make it easier to diagnose and fix a problem instead of chasing down vacuum leaks

that's what I get for including cars. Washing machines however I am pretty sure about, at least from the experience of me and people I know

>I have a chromebook Pixel with 4GB and while this is undoubtedly outdated at this point, it is still able to do what it was designed for (under Linux).
I know that feel, currently rolling with a 10 year old thinkpad x61t that has a mobile low voltage c2d and runs windows 10 ltsb with no issues at all, it runs snappy because of the SSD and the 8-cell battery lasts like 6h so it's more than fine for me.

This thing just refuses to die and i love it.

oh dog, he got tricked into maintenance fee loop

who cares as long as someone is writing drivers?
i still use linux on haswell because it has vulkan support

>he doesn't do his own maintenance

Attached: 1466020971719.jpg (1082x773, 286K)

Hardware plateaued years ago. You must be retarded to have not noticed this until now.

Attached: 1517642710609.jpg (1200x1500, 297K)

Lol no. A $700 gayman laptop with an i7 and 1050ti outperforms my old Sandyvagina i7 GTX 680 build
I'd have to over clock and buy a 1060 that'll still end up bottle necked just to outdo it

Nobody cares about your GPU retard.

>get proven wrong
>durr no one cares

It's the truth. Everybody you know thinks you're a loser for still playing video games in 2018. Grow up.

Sorry to beak it to you but video games are a normie past time now days. Keep recompiling the Linux kernel though, I'm sure that'll get all the bitches wet

>ignores the 35 watt i5 outperforming the 95 watt i7

Everywhere I go Satan is there mocking me today. I see 666 far more often then 1 out of every 666 posts
>inb4 its just a coincidence or some other bs
I hardly ever see 3 999s but I see 3 666s like every day on Jow Forums this place is the debil.

>65719680
at what age did your dad leave you? Five? Three? Even younger?

I agree.
I got a galaxy s3 new when they came out. Too slow even with cm 10.3 to use 2 years later.

My brother got an HTC m9 and kept it for 3+ years. When it recently broke he bought a new one cheap because it was still fast enough.

As a poorfag I've discovered this long ago OP. It's even more true the last 10 years but you can squeeze almost endless life out of things if you configure them properly or are willing to look for lightweight software.

Attached: Comfy_guy.jpg (197x190, 53K)

Noone cares about laptops retard

Yeah, Hardware far outpaced basic OS, software, and general use needs some time ago. Anything bought today or in the past several years has a good decade, or even two, of life before any signs of becoming a "potato".

I can't remember what the term is, but there is definitely a market/industry principle where they design/manufacture things SPECIFICALLY with lax durability, intending for them to break/fail sooner than they could potentially be.

This started somewhere in the late 50s to mid 60s when they realised that the production chain for certain things (washing machines, cars, tools etc) which involved a lot of investment and running costs (labour, materials, tax etc) were great for the boom of that era, while people were buying them. Once most homes had one of X, Y and Z, they wouldn't need anything else.

Therefore that long production chain resulted in a low return, so over time things have become produced to an intentionally finite period of function/utility.

Fun fact, a lot of legislature and safety codes were passed in the following decades as a veil in order to remove many of these items/objects which were in peoples homes as a way to rejuvenate the economy, that and lobbies from manufacturer interest groups.

I agree to a point. My old Nexus 5 sadly died an early death a while back and I replaced it with a OnePlus 5T. Sure enough the screen looks nicer, the battery lasts much longer and it's a bit snappier, but I'm not doing anything with this phone which the old one couldn't handle well enough.

Planned obsolescence?

>planned obsolescence

I think that's the one, for some reason the other term I was thinking of was different.

I'm still using a desktop with a Phenom 9550 2.2 GHz quad core processor which came out over a decade ago, and it will be a decade since I built my desktop next year. I was actually ready to upgrade 4 years ago with money in hand from my tax return but decided to put it off because my desktop was still accomplishing everything I needed it to do just fine and I figured I'd get a better bang for my buck if I waited. Since then I've given up on newer video games which were the most demanding thing I used my computer for (with the last one I got my hopes up for being Fallout 4, which actually ran halfway decent on my current machine when I tried it during a free weekend on Steam) and have started to see shittier websites take their place as the most CPU demanding thing I do that I can't just let run in the background but even then I rarely encounter websites I need to go to like that. I still get tempted to see if I could get by with an APU now and do a slimline mini ITX every so often, but I'm honestly curious more curious as to how long my current desktop will last.

Intel shot 2Pac.

By no one do you mean pathetic NEETs who never leave their mother's basement?

>Washing machines however I am pretty sure about, at least from the experience of me and people I know
Department store washing machines break within a month of the warranty expiring, guaranteed, especially the horizontal ones. You can still buy proper vertical washing machines that last forever though, speedqueen makes some good stuff

>Phenom 9550
That was a hell of a chip in its day, you can probably get 5 more years out of that machine easy

Neets probably use laptops more than anyone actually

I don't know about that, but I guess I haven't tried out the new multiprocess version of Firefox yet since I use the ESR version. The only time I really run into problems with my current processor is with programs that demand high single thread performance. If Firefox ESR fixes that problem then my computer will probably die/get replaced with an SBC for power consumption reasons before I need to upgrade.

The new firefox might not help much because for heavy js websites single thread performance is always going to matter a lot. The multithreading browsing support will help with many moderately heavy websites, but it might still choke on a really bloated site like google docs or youtube. Best thing to do is avoid shitty websites altogether

>doing CADwork

This is me. I'm not obsessed with the latest gear, I just want a machine that will last 5 years. Tech obsession is cancer and I don't understand it. Even if you're gaming you'll never need more than an i5 + 1060 unless you've got major ePeen issues.

>The new firefox might not help much because for heavy js websites single thread performance is always going to matter a lot.
Having particularly JS heavy sites hang up my whole browser rather than just that tab is really the main problem I have with those sites, since it keeps me from letting them load in the background any time they hang up. Not having to deal with sharing that thread with the 10-20 other tabs I normally have open would probably help as well.

>but it might still choke on a really bloated site like google docs or youtube
Don't go to those sites much (most of my Youtube use is via streaming the videos to VLC) but I don't have a problem with them when I do.

>Even if you're gaming you'll never need more than an i5 + 1060 unless you've got major ePeen issues.
Meh, it's always better to build your machine to last and I don't see system requirements for videogames ceasing to increase in the near future (even disregarding poor optimization) with 4K monitors (which you will see an actual gameplay difference with in some games) and VR if you're into that.

Get a Phenom II x6/x4 if your BIOS supports it.

My BIOS supports the entire Phenom II series so I will upgrade to one of those if performance becomes enough of a problem, but as I said earlier I'm just too curious as to how far I can push my machine in its current configuration.

ou can still use the internet fine on a 98 machine, the only killers are JS and retarded codecs that require specific hardware decode IP cores and shit.

I can still use the internet and a lot of modern software just fine on a computer from 2002, and I know others can do it on older machines. Imagine using a computer from 1982 in 1998.

gpus can be used for more than just games