Why most laptops use 16:9 displays when 16:10 is clearly the better choice?

Why most laptops use 16:9 displays when 16:10 is clearly the better choice?

Attached: 1509556577167.png (638x480, 349K)

because they're cheaper

>clearly the better choice

16:9 is cheaper to produce

>16:10
You mean 8:5

I bet you don't even indent your code

Aspect ratios don't matter, if you need more screen space you get a bigger laptop, end of story.

16:10 is important if you have a dock like in osx

4:3 is even better, especially on a smaller screen.
The only reason for manufacturers to abandon 4:3 in favor of (((widescreen))) I can think of is films. If it weren't for filmfags we would have still had 4:3 laptops manufactured today.

In what way?

To waste it? I use i3wm to make as much use of screen space as I possibly can and even then I don't feel like I have enough height.

>not using your widescreen to put up sidebars for a better reading experience
brainlet

It's standarized.

>not having dock on the left
facebook tier idiots need to leave.

Because fucking cattle thinks that wide screen is cool.
I miss old 4:3. At the same diagonal they had more area.

>having a doc
The computer illiterate should not be allowed to post here.

Attached: 1524904574105.jpg (790x1026, 68K)

Imagine you sell specially-cut pieces of paper to everyone. You get your uncut paper in sheets that are 32 inches wide and 90 inches tall. You could cut that paper into eighteen pieces that are each 16 inches wide and 10 inches tall. Or you could cut it into twenty pieces that are each the same width and only slightly shorter. The latter costs you the same in materials and allows you to sell pieces of paper to two additional clients, thus making you more money. Which would you choose?

I choose to offer both but make one smaller and charge extra because it's "special"

Nope, they also abandoned it because again, 16:9 is cheaper to make.

For whoever's wondering, it seems the last non-industrial laptop to ever use 4:3 was an extremely rare variant of the Thinkpad T61. That'll only support up to a QX9300, so it's essentially a paperweight. The last ones to use 16:10 were the first gen i7 machines from Dell and HP. That is, the Latitude E6x10 and the Elitebook 8740W. Maximum CPU for those is a 940XM, so again paperweight with a dramatically increased chance of setting those papers on fire.

why is it in English

trying to kill the immigrants

Then it should be in Turkish

Turkish are not as bad as pure sand niggers.

movie-watching normie public

So you want quality over quantity?
Then it should be in Arabic.

Yep.

sweetie....

Attached: 1500701211165.jpg (620x349, 47K)

Most anime is 16:9 anyway.

>Aspect ratios don't matter

Attached: ThinkPad-UltraCinema.jpg (2028x660, 350K)

Minnie May is so cute!

>she has widescreen aspect ratio screen
>doesn't use vertical taskbar

How does it feel being retarded?

This. Plus, plebs complain about having "black bars" above and below 16:9 video.

>Sell less for more.
You should work at aplel.

>modern thinkpad
Ew

/thread

Only modern trash.
Good anime is 4:3

16:9 is the optimum aspect ratio for keyboard, trackpad, and palm rest.
Any taller, and the laptop starts to be bigger than it needs to be physically.

This. It goes like:
>4:3 for ~12-15"
>16:10 for ~15-24"
>16:9 for ~24-30"
>21:9 for ~30-38"
I would like to make some approximation for the ratio as a function of display area but I don't have enough varied displays to do it.

Aren't 16:9 displays cheaper just because they are more widely used? Meaning that they wouldn't be cheaper if we kept using 4:3.

thinly veiled macfag thread

>Not using hiding docks.

They're widely used because of TV

Oh right. TVs still exist.

my nigga

I still use a 1600x1200 monitor and will continue to do so until it dies.

Attached: 41ptfEZNcvL._SX425_.jpg (425x425, 17K)

>16:10 is important if you have a dock like in osx

If you use a dock and still think it is in any way helpful, you should see a therapist

3:2 was better and used to be somewhat common on laptops.
both 3:2 and 4:3 approximate the perfect human FOV at 1.4:1, but 4:3 is slightly closer.
because 4:3 is generally percieved as squarish, I guess that leaves 3:2 as the best "widescreen" and 4:3 as the best overall.

Do 7:5 screens even exist?

Attached: BmaBlC0.png (706x900, 194K)

3:2 laptop masterrace, life is good.

and I bet you write code like this

Attached: 98bd38321fad0e8b14ebf3a5a9ec70c9.jpg (720x511, 43K)

how many of you smelly pieces of shit have a fucking 1366x768 laptop?
admit it
then end you are self right now
or buy a laptop with a real display whichever is easier
also, op we 4:3 now no one cares about 16:10 except applel

found the kebab merchant

kebab > currywurst when you're drunk

>people think the screen is actually rendering black bars
>people don't realize this is just absent space and the image is centered on the screen
>people stretch 4:3 content to fit their 16:9 displays, making everything distorted and nauseating
>they think this looks better than simply leaving absent space on their screen where there is no image to render
This is why there needs to be a normalfag culling. These people are too stupid to deserve any technology.

>>people think the screen is actually rendering black bars
Wut? The screen is rendering black bars.

better question : what is this from and can i masturbate to it

There is no such thing as a good anime... Only Boku no pico.

>continue to do so until it dies.
It will not die, if you can solder though-hole component and replace CCFL tubes.

No, it's rendering an image in its native aspect ratio, and the "black bars" are nothing but an absence of image. It is not separately rendering two black bars and placing them on the screen.

This is 4:3 rectangle with a 16:9 rectangle built on the same diagonal.
I guess it is obvious that 4:3 is superior.

Attached: 169-43.png (1920x1080, 139K)

saucenao and yes

Is there a term for old-style anime drawings? I really like her eyes...

Is this a fucking joke? Your monitor is constantly rendering all the pixels on your screen, and the black pixels are not "off."

Yes, the pixels with an absence of image are rendered as black, but the computer is not rendering two separate black rectangles in addition to the image. It is rendering the 4:3 image and telling the empty space to be black. That's different than rendering entire bars and telling those bars to be black.

And people might describe those rectangular clumps of black pixels as "rectangles" or "bars"

And those people are misunderstanding what the screen is doing, because the screen is not rendering black bars in addition to the image, but it is centering the image in the middle of black empty space.

Normalfags literally think the computer is rendering two black rectangles and superimposing them onto the image, which is laughably retarded.

Nobody thinks that. They don't care how it's being rendered. They care that whatever screen they're using has a backlight and the black is illuminated in the dark.

No, they care that they bought a widescreen display but it isn't magically making their 4:3 videos have more information on the sides, so they stretch it to "make it widescreen".

What kind of normies still have 4:3 content instead of netflix and/or blurays?

16:9 has only been the standard for TV and video games since ~2004-2006, so anyone watching a show or playing a game older than that.

It does need to "render" those black bars.
Black isn't the default. The default is whatever was previously in the image buffer, which could be anything.

Why is this so funny?

What I'm saying is the computer doesn't load up two 240x1080 black rectangles and impose them onto the screen. It simply tells the space outside of the rendered image to be black.

That's a pointless distinction, the amount of data that needs to be changed is the same.

Yeah so a decade and a half ago.

>the difference between loading up two images of set dimensions and placing them in the screen and loading up a single image, telling the area outside the image to be black, and centering the single image on the screen, is pointless
I disagree, they're entirely different things.

>loading up a single image, telling the area outside the image to be black
That's not how it works.
You load up a black "image" to fill the screen and then place your image on the center over it.

Even so, the point is that there is a single, centered image, and an area of black, not three images all being loaded at once.

You don't really load images. Drawing a solid colored rectangle is a primitive operation on any GPU.

I'm talking about playing a 4:3 video on a 16:9 display. It loads the frames of the video in the center of the screen, on top of a black area of empty space, which is not being loaded from anywhere but rednered as black by the GPU, correct?

I'm not sure exactly what the GPU will do.

If it's clever it will write the black bars separately into the framebuffer. This way it would avoid unnecessarily rewriting the portions that will be overwritten by the movie frame.

I use a similar one of these as my side monitor, and have a 16x10 with the same shell for my main monitor. They are the exact same height and it pleases my autism sense.

What are some laptops that have 4:3 or 3:2 display other than MBP and Surface Book?

Stop using code from my git repo to shitpost.

>both 3:2 and 4:3 approximate the perfect human FOV at 1.4:1
You mean the whole field of vision? Or some area where we can see well? Because if the whole I don't think it really matters. On smaller screens (

do asiatics have a wider field of view?? maybe that's why 16:9 took off and now they're pushing 21:9

You shall not indent more than 3 times.

If you want to compare two displays of different ratios you should make them have the same area, not diagonal.

class - > method -> loop -> if

Thou shalt have no other languages before C.

Question for OOP fags though: do you often put more than one class in a file? If not then you wouldn't have to indent the class. I always felt stupid when indenting the whole file with one class.

function -> loop -> loop -> if

e.g. looping through a 2-dimensional structure

Okay, have 4 indents. I suppose I should've said "You shall have no more than 1 nested loop" which usually makes sense but then there are algorithms that do indeed iterate over 3 dimensions.

what anime is this?

gunsmith cats minnie may she's 17 but takes medicine to make herself smaller for her boyfriend

Because they use it to view media, which is designed for 16:9.

Because of muh black bars on videos.

This was always a bad argument in my opinion.

1. It's a laptop. If you are watching anything on a laptop you obviously don't care too much for the viewing experience. Watching some youtube video or tv show with some black bars is not a huge deal.

2. Even business laptops have 16:9 screens nowadays. They have no justification for that aside from being cheap. Apple is able to put 16:10 panels into their laptops, Microsoft uses 3:2. So why can't the other companies do it?

Why do you miss 4:3? 16:9 is the same shit.

>This was always a bad argument in my opinion.
Starting of a post with a statement like this as if you're someone special makes you sound like a spoiled child FYI.

>1. It's a laptop. If you are watching anything on a laptop you obviously don't care too much for the viewing experience.
How do people even come up with retarded thoughts like this? What better device is there? I don't want to squint at my tiny phone screen, I don't want to use a tablet, because those aren't anywhere as good as a laptop in any way, I don't want to haul a computer screen or TV with some other computing device around the house. What exactly is a better portable device for watching YouTube and anime?

>Watching some youtube video or tv show with some black bars is not a huge deal.
Maybe to regular everyday retards like you who just go through life zombie mindlessly consuming every shiny new thing in sight, but for high quality individuals like myself, I care about quality. You're a faggot.

>2. Even business laptops have 16:9 screens nowadays. They have no justification for that aside from being cheap. Apple is able to put 16:10 panels into their laptops, Microsoft uses 3:2. So why can't the other companies do it?

Because there's no demand for it. People are dumb faggots and won't give a shit. And whether it's 16:9 or not doesn't mean shit for business laptops. It's about the resolution. I would know, because I use a business laptop in the type of environment it's meant for. You don't because you're a nigger. I'd pick a 4k 16:9 than a 1600x1000 screen any day. Also fuck off with your Reddit spacing.

>I care about quality.

Obviously you don't.

My point is that anything with a big focus on the visual experience like a movie will be underwhelming on a laptop ANYWAYS so if you were really so demanding that you are bothered by small black bars then you wouldn't watch things on a laptop.