5930k?

I'm considering buying a top-of-the-line gaming CPU, Jow Forums, from my research this seems to be the one most highly recommended. What CPU should I buy for gaming and emulation?

Assume money is no object.

>inb4 ask /pcbg/
They're non-responsive fags who recommended the 5930k without any real argument.

Attached: 1497711835530.jpg (1200x800, 192K)

Other urls found in this thread:

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA24G5WG6458
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Did you check out the 18core i9-7980XE?

I did examine it, but assuming the 5930k puts out roughly the same (or slightly lower) than the 7700k, they seem to do very similarly in terms of gaming, even sometimes seeing the i9 lose out.

Of course it's not completely accurate considering the 7700k ISN'T a 5930k, but it's hard to find comparisons between a as new CPU as the 7980 to an old 5930k.

Is Ryzen any better than a 5930k?

If you want only to game, buy a i7 8700K and a expensive cooler and OC it to 5 GHz.

The 8700k is already obsolete, there will be a new Intel flagship in June

If buying a PC now is necessary, go for the Ryzen 2700

Honestly, they're not really terribly far off. The 5930k is a great gaming-CPU. And despite you saying money being no measurement, anything giving you 1 or 2 extra fps will easily cost you triple or even quadruple that of a 5930k.

I don't know how you'd rationalize that for a 1% fps increase...

If you have an Nvidia GPU, you shouldn't be looking at ryzen. Top ryzen performs at the level of an i3 on CPU performance

Who could be behind this post.

>5930k
Don't know who the hell recommended that ancient 2014 technology - but hey, I'll defend it with this: It's probably a buy if you're on a tight budget and you happen to come across someone who's selling it real cheap - priced like a modern Pentium - then sure. Other than that.. no way.

If you want the best gaming experience CPU then you'll want the AMD Ryzen 2700X if you are going to be streaming and Intel's i7-8700K if you're not. The 2700X has two extra cores which does help a lot when you're doing more than one thing (gaming and streaming) and the 8700K has slightly higher IPC which gives it an edge if you're just laming.

One last little piece of advice to you: You're probably better off buying the Ryzen 2600 & spending more on your GPU if you don't have a unlimited budget. You don't need a whole lot of CPU-power to bottle-neck any not insanely priced GPU.

leonard nemoy

>pay 700$ or more for a 5930k
>when the 7820X exists for 450$

Attached: 1496737129571.gif (448x252, 2.39M)

I'll admit I actually hadn't considered the 8700k. I'll definitely look into it some more, but as mentioned in , finding comparisons between bleeding edge stuff like the 8700k to (in your words) ancient 2014 technology is quite hard.

I'm basing most my comparisons on the 7700k, and even that might be terribly off.

Oh and don't worry about the GPU. I've ordered a 1080Ti about a week ago, so it should be here any day. Still haven't landed on a CPU though... will be sure to examine the 8700k though! Sounds promising!

Does it overclock well?

>look at benchmarks
>2700 is literally AMD's 7820X
>they literally are tied for almost everything
>when Skylake-X is just a halo product because Intel wasn't ready for Threadripper and considering their manufacturing problems they probably will have zero answer

>a CPU is obsolete because a new one will be coming out in the future

It does if you get a good chip. If you really have no budget issues, might look into those delidded silicon lottery ones.

>5930k in 2018

Attached: 0033.jpg (750x604, 36K)

>It does if you get a good chip.
Not him, but highjacking his thread slightly to ask a dumb question. What does this mean? Are not all chips created equal in God's kingdom?

Someone whose job is future product planning at one of the three companies

>implying the new one will be faster by more than a 5 %, totaly worth it waiting
besides this is the first time I hear about new flagship

7820X is 5 to 10% better in most cases tho. Yeah it costs 20% more but he did say price wasn't an issue.

What about this compared to more recent products? Is 2066 the future or will i be upgrading again in two years?

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA24G5WG6458

Correct, they can have minor flaws that can affect performance, like how high clockspeed it can operate and how hot it gets. For example AMD picks out the best 5% of Ryzen dies and makes Threadrippers from them.

No, actually. A giant Si wafer is created and then broken into smaller pieces (each piece is a processor). Due to Si impurities, the performance will vary across the wafer - thus giving you your 7, 5, 3 etc. The 5 is just a 7 that doesn't work as good.

The 2800X is your best bet. It's not out yet but that's the price for getting the best.
Intel processors aren't good anymore.

>7700k
This one is 4 cores 8 threads. Don't. It's outdated. You'll be a threadlet. The 8700k has 6 cores and 12 threads. The Ryzen 2700X has 8 cores and 16 threads. Those are the higher-end choices. The 7700k is so yesterday.

As for overclocking.. I don't and I don't recommend it. I'll take a slightly slower stable working clockspeed over random bluescreens any day. This being said, I haven't even bothered trying in years - because I really don't see the point.

Wow, scary thought. Didn't know that was a thing. Thanks for the info user.
I didn't know that! Is there any way to tell such a thing before you buy from a store, or is it just the luck of the draw?

Well, AMD/Intel will test all the 'pieces' and then brand them as i7/i5 according to how they perform - so, that luck of the draw thing is already taken care of for you. Now, you just know how what you're buying is graded.

Pure luck. However, if you become a well followed tech reviewer, you will get samples from companies and those are usually golden ones (top 20-3%).

It's like you said, not all are created equal in God's kingdom (I like that phrasing!). So it is with CPUs too. Minor impurities that cause performance bleeds is just down to luck I'm afraid. You buy a CPU and cross your fingers you get a good one.

That being said, even if you get a "bad" one, it'll only cost you 1, maybe 2-3 fps in a game. I compared two 7820X'es back in the day and there IS a difference but it's not huge.

Though I might just have gotten two that were very similar in terms of quality...

Jesus, I've built 3 computers in my life and I never knew this was a thing. Jow Forums taught me something valuable today!

So by that logic a i3 is worse quality than an i5, and a i7 is better than both of those, with i8s beating all the above in terms of builld-quality?

I guess we should say that the luck can get you a minor overclock difference, like 100 MHz.

>Jow Forums being polite, helpful with minimal shitposting
Is this opposite day?

Yes, but what's an i8?

What do you mean? When someone actually creates a thread about hardware on Jow Forums, they're usually very civil threads.

Yeah, but i9, if you meant that only exists because AMD grabbed Intel's balls really tight and they had to downgrade their server chips to high end desktop ones.

Fuck off.

Sorry, just pulled a number out of my ass that was above 8.

>*above 7

I'm going to bed.

Alone?

Always and forever. Only 2 more years until wizardry too.

At least you have a hugpillow, right?

Of course I do. And a fleshlight, degenerate that I am. Who needs human companionship when you can lie yourself into a loving relationship?

As far as gaming is concerned, you should lean towards a six-core. The i7 8700k is a great option for gaming.

For a great deal cheaper, you can get the Ryzen 2600X. It's also a six-core, twelve-thread part and is just ever-so-slightly slower.

Personally, I'd go for the Ryzen to free up more cash for the GPU. Up to you though.

Damn, I wish they would make pillows with curves of a real body or at least parts for breasts/ass. Long cylinders get old fast.

I don't mind. Add imagination and self-delusion and it's not all bad. Anyway, good night user.

> Haswell E
What are you doing user? You will get shit clock speeds with that fucking garbage. Even fucking Ryzen 2 beats that on gaming.

For sleeping it's fine, indeed. Good night.

> Kaby Lake X
> 4c/4t in 2018
> $250 (top kek)
You can literally get the Ryzen 2600 (6 core / 12 thread) for $200 and it will demolish that i5 on anything.
> is 2066 the future?
no user... just no...

Attached: 961089E5-A531-456D-89CC-8647A1485B8E.jpg (720x960, 66K)

>random bluescreen muh stable slower stock speeds

Does mommy dress you too Junior??

Intel is the ONLY chip for overclocking and any 8700k can hit 5.0ghz with a Noctua Dh15 cooler or Shitty AIO cooler

Attached: 1524944536258.jpg (723x960, 266K)

That's the point of stable overclocks - you don't get any bluescreens, ever. I would only leave stock speeds for professional usage.

>pcbg recommended the 5930k
if it's 30 burgers go ahead
if you're at 1440p/4k any pentium will do
otherwise 2600/x or 8700k

Attached: laughing_whores.png (321x185, 78K)