Are you still using an optical disc drive? If so, what for?

Are you still using an optical disc drive? If so, what for?

Attached: 27-135-306_R01.jpg (1280x960, 30K)

I have no optical drives in my house since 2009.

My main build has 2 currently. Soon to be 3. One is a Blu-ray reading capable drive for ripping Blu-ray movies I buy. The other is a higher end regular DVD drive because for some reason, the Blu-ray capable one rips non Blu-ray stuff really slow (DVDs CDs etc)
The third one will be an an UHD 4k Blu-ray reading/burning drive. Since UHD Blu-ray movies had their encryption cracked, they can finally be ripped.

I have a large physical media collection of you haven't guessed. I encode everything with handbrake, then put everything in my server.

optical backups
there's nothing wrong with having redundancy over different media

OS install discs and for the seldom music cd ripping.

Hell fucking no OP.
Luckily my enthoo pro has a removable ODD.
Now i can fit a longer rad on top.
Get with the times old man.

Attached: portrait-of-a-boy-wearing-sunglasses-looking-at-camera-crossing-arms-GX5MJD.jpg (1300x956, 108K)

music ripping for sure there are just some albums you cant find in flac

I have an old one sitting on my desk that I use as a coaster.

Burning pirated stuff for the woman.

you're not looking hard enough then. try p2p

Playing cds and installing windows every now and then.

I collect CDs and Blurays. Video streams are garbage.

Just last week I was staying out at a hotel for a few days and brought my PC, but the place said that wifi was the only method of connecting to the Internet there, and their ethernet ports didn't work. So I had to install the drivers for the WiFi dongle I had to go buy from its included CD.

Old games/PCs mostly. Older stuff has them built in, but I have a single USB one for newer machines. My ThinkPad has one too.

Will we always have piracy? A few years ago I would've said yes and would say that optical data storing is deprecated. However, the once open Internet is becoming less and less open. Anything you download could be gone the next day, in which case an offline backup could come in handy. Is burning shit on blu-ray the best and easiest bet?

Suddenly data hoarding doesn't seem like a bad idea. Data hoarders are the future coke dealers.

For optical discs you fucking retard

I installed one on my rig since I still install software by CD or DVD sometimes. I also have a portable one.

Just ordered a Bluray drive, mainly for backups and rips.

I rip music CDs almost every month for muh flacs.

I have an external one laying around somewhere that my dad used for making cds to play in his car. That's about it.

load stuff off old s/w disc (ie: "20,000 Fonts!")
watch, rip DVD's
rip music
Make easy listening music CD for my Mother, she likes ABBA.

I don't get the optical media hate.

Attached: Anna 2.jpg (380x366, 48K)

My internet still fucking sucks

Attached: grannygun.jpg (640x628, 69K)

I burn a blu ray for every server build I do, all packages and any source code, build notes, drivers, sample data etc. So when someone or some thing inevitably breaks it I can reinstall exactly as-was to prove I should be paid for the follow up work.

Mine has been there since I installed it during the format wars.

Attached: 313E916D-BC2E-4299-A925-DF29C2FA4465.jpg (4032x3024, 2.18M)

They think it's hindering "progress" like how some ""people"" hate 3.5mm jack port.

Burning blu rays to watch on my TV.

Blurays

I currently have about 15 HDD's with 8TB each and i datahoard TV series and movies mostly from DDL sources in full HD 1080p. All from good quality web streams to BluRay rips.
I have an entire library and could easily open a netflix 2.0 on my own. My collection is growing by 100 GB each day.
Once piracy gets shut down by massive efforts of the media kikes, my collection will be worth gold nuggets. I backup my stuff on LTO-7 and are planning to go over to LTO-8 in the next few month.

You can bet that netflix and amazon prime will raise their fees massively when the illegal counterparts like torrent, web streaming and DDL got shut down.

It sounds like progress is storing your data on someone elses computer, probably belonging to a giant corporation. Or getting high resolution streams with low bitrates.

CDs or music, Bluray and DVD for movies, even for backups.

Yes. For reading and writing optical media. Next question?

For these

Attached: 20180428_213716.jpg (4032x3024, 3.42M)

And these

Attached: 20180428_213731.jpg (4032x3024, 3.06M)

Yep. I make money se ling audio CDs (legal stuff).

BD-R, offsite backup.

Why do you bother with a huge physical media collection if you put everything in your server anyway? For the convenience of not having a Blu Ray player in every room?

because i'm not a millennial and like like owning stuf

Burning games for old consoles, Some games aren't as good on emulation yet.

That makes sense. It's a physical representation of your taste and it shows the time and care you've put into curating your library

convenience. Why have to have a blu-ray capable drive/player in every room? Have friends over and want to watch the latest few movies I bought? Stream them to my 65" TV in the living room. Want background noise while gaming/working/editing/shitposting? Put a movie/music on streaming from my server over the network to whatever PC I'm using.

I rip the movie/music, encode it as best I can without losing noticeable quality, and throw it onto the server. The movie/music CD just gets put in the closet with the rest of them. I have 2 large trunks full of neatly stacked stuff.

I burn linux isos and rip dvds from the library/redbox/friends

My car is not botnetted, it only has a CD player and radio, so I have a lot of music on CDs and when new shit goes up online, I burn a new CD. I have around 40 CDs filled with music. I could just plug my phone in through 3.5, but I don't like having my calls being played through the speakers. I also have more CDs than I could ever use and it's fun.
Last week I went to pick up my sister's kids at school because their car was being serviced and they are like 5-6 yrs old, I introduced them to CDs basically, new generations don't know about the optical life, someone's gotta teach them about the golden age of computers.

I'm going to enjoy charging people $50 to send a copy of their dead parents optical disks to some gay cloud.

Yes, I've actually meaning to pick up a slot-loading Blu-ray drive
>what for?
Reading and burning optical discs

I wouldn't mind having an external drive for emergencies or if I want to burn an OS disc instead of use a USB stick. I've already converted nearly all my physical stuff into data and store it on my HDDs. I just prefer keeping a small footprint. If I ever need to pick up and go, there's not much holding me back; as long as I can take my PC, I could live anywhere.

Yeah I think i'm going to get into m disk blu ray burner so I can make l o n g t e r m disk backups.
Apparently the disks are said to last 1000 years without bitrot, too bad they cost a boatload.

I had one in my case but it wasn't plugged in. However, recently my HDD for shit I don't need died and left an open SATA cable. I can't afford a replacement yet so I plugged the optical drive in again.