Explain HDR to me like im your grandmother

explain HDR to me like im your grandmother

Attached: hdr-tv-ces-1500x1000.jpg (690x460, 53K)

lighter and darker at the same time

Attached: 1515007970126.png (398x436, 34K)

Meme

It makes the colors better

just more colours/brighter to make it look more life like

There's more colors in between the brightest thing that can be displayed and the darkest thing that can be displayed.

It just means it can display lighter and darker content at the same time. Remeber those shitty 6 bit LCD monitors? How they would have massive color banding? Well it's sort of like that, except jumping from 8 bit to 10 bit. Except it's kind of a scam as most TVs and monitors aren't 10 bit, they're 8 bit with dithering.

just go to a store and see for yourself jeez
also remember a racing game where you're driving against the sun. There's all kinds of artificial effects whitening the image around the sun, like in picrelated, creating the illusion of brightness and blinding.
now imagine none of those effects are applied, you can see all the clouds around the sun. But the sun itself is actually very bright to the point of being uncomfortable to look at. So instead of artificial blinding you get a real one.
there are plenty of other examples but this one is the most obvious imo.

Attached: helmet.jpg (620x349, 70K)

GRANDMA? GRANDMA. YOU HAVE TO PUSH THIS BUTTON TO TURN IT ON. NO, IT'S NOT ON YET. THAT'S WHY THE SCREEN IS ALL DARK. THERE. OKAY, SEE HOW THE BRIGHTS ARE BRIGHTER AND THE BLACKS ARE BLACKER? NO. GRANDMA, I KNOW YOU'RE SCARED OF BLACKS. THAT-- NO, GRANDMA, SIT DOWN. YOU'RE FINE. IT'S FINE. WE DON'T NEED TO CALL THE POLICE. LOOK, JUST... WHAT WOULD YOU LIKE TO WATCH? WATCH, GRANDMA. I KNOW YOU HAVE A CLO-- HERE'S GAMESHOW NETWORK.

Fucking Christ...

Attached: 1523861419128.jpg (1200x1189, 134K)

Attached: 1522889170242.jpg (563x503, 21K)

"no more crushing the blacks like they did in your days"

but how am i able to tell the difference on sdr monitor? :]

see that nigger in the tv?
you can't.

shieeeeeeeeet

bullshit marketing term
makes SDR look like shit so HDR looks good in comparison

It would take forever considering it has to be done through a Ouija board.

Perfect explanation.

Photo your cock
Stick it on HDR TV
Its Bigger
Win Win Chicken Din

The blacks go deeper while the whites shine brither.

Plus the years of not asking you about how you are eating.
"Grandma, I wanted to contact you because there is something about TVs --"
Y-O-U-L-O-O-K-T-H-I-N

HDR for TVs is undoing what HDR for comes does.

some serious keks were had

Sorry but I don't know what is it. Jow Forums please explain

Kek

It's the HIGH DEFINITION REVOLUTION

LET ME HELP YOU OUT OF THE CHAIR GRANDMA
LET ME TOUCH YOU
LET ME FEEL
AAAAH

I want you and your dubs inside me

Attached: download_20171224_095247.jpg (2048x1620, 504K)

write your own fucking ads, grandma

I find the specular highlights incredibly distracting on TVs with high brightness. I bought a Sony X930E a while back, which hits around 1450 nits during HDR content, and ended up sending it back because it felt like my eyeballs were melting when watching things like The Man in the High Castle, with incredibly bright highlights against dark backgrounds. And you can't dim the highlights without also making everything else look too dim.

The color benefits are nice and all, but I ended up buying a much cheaper 4K TV that just does SDR really well, for much less money, and have generally been happier with it.

More colors for the money.

you know when you go from a dark room to really bright sunshine and you have to squint because it hurts your eyes? you can now pay extra for a tv that replicates this experience.

How can I see the difference of a hdr tv on a normal phone screen?

it means u can use your normal glasses instead of reading glasses when u watch this new tv

1 bajillion colors. more brightness. more darkness.

I don't know, grandma.

Hey Nana, it's been a while. I just wanted to say that I appreciate everything you've done for me. Things really have turned out for the best. I have kids of my own now too. It's been a challenge raising them right but with Mom and Dad helping I think we're going to manage. I wish you could see them, see everyone, I wish I could see you again.