Just bought myself my first thinkpad to take with me to college for computer science, the W530 model...

Just bought myself my first thinkpad to take with me to college for computer science, the W530 model. Came with 16 gigs of ram, ssd, and a fresh copy of windows pro. Nabbed it for $450 since I'm a cheap piece of shit who doesn't want to dish out the big bucks for an ebin gaymin laptop. What am I in for?

Attached: s-l1600.jpg (1200x1600, 187K)

You're in for cock.

These laptops are so fucking ugly Jesus Christ

>falling for the ThinkPad meme
should've bought a MBP or at least an X1 Carbon poorfag

You should replace the chiclet keyboard for the classic keyboard.

Hope you have a good way of carrying it. Its like a brick in your backpack.

>he got a model incompatible with libreboot
you're in for being cucked by TPTB

Attached: 1508646550917.png (588x933, 421K)

thinkpads like these only continue to exist because there are people out there who think that if something looks cool, money was wasted making it look cool. therefore cool looking things are financially irresponsible.

somehow all the educational institutions have their heads in their ass and will only ever recommend two kinds of computers, lenovo thinkpads and apple macbook pros.

When I went to uni thats what they recommended us, the rec'd macbook cost like $1600 and the rec'd thinkpad cost like $1200
I bought an eeepc netbook for $250 and it was more convenient for pretty much everything.

Whenever I see a ThinkPad I know they post on Jow Forums. Even your usual nerd won't have one.

At least here in Europe.

I saw this nerd looking girl at college with a t420, should i ask her if she browses Jow Forums?

>Girl with a ThinkPad
That's jokes

>he still uses libreboot

Get with the times grandpa

Attached: 5e9d461f7dbd006f58e5385e69976121.jpg (600x315, 22K)

You should be in for a predictable and reliable experience OP, enjoy your laptop. It should last you for years and years

>t. poorfag

>Luckily you're in computer science, where there will be little to no women. A lot of people in my business college thought my T430 and X230 looked big and ugly. Eventually, I upgraded to a Dell 7480 and it ended up only being about $200 more and it came with a 1080p IPS, better battery life, and less weight. Overall I'm happy with it but the Thunderbolt 3 port is fucking shit. It shorted on me and I have to send it in for warranty service now. Legacy E-ports & Ultrabase ports are the fucking shit. What the hell is going on with USB-C?

Fuck I just made my whole post a greentext.
Nigger.

>computer science, where there will be little to no women

Think again. Big Universities are shilling hard to keep females in their STEM programs, even going so far as lowering the difficulty of some of the harder courses. I sat in a senior level software design course recently when visiting and at least 35% of the students were female.

Probably a total of 8 different girls in the 4 upper division CS classes I've taken so far in my commiefornia school.

>t. mactoddler

Attached: 701.jpg (673x1024, 65K)

That's what I thought. But despite all the Women in Tech shit my university posts, and the angry pink-haired arrogant twat poster hanging in the main hall, there are about 10 women out of 200 students in the CS college.
In the business college, in the Information Systems & Security program its about the same ratio. Its a meme. Women don't give a fuck about that shit. Its just SJW cock stroking propaganda. I'm sure it'll slightly bolster the rates that go into it though. I don't think they should lower the program difficulty to accommodate women.
I saw a nursing class exit class the other day and I somewhat wished I had been a Nursing major this whole time. I know its like the polar opposite but 80% of the class was made of gorgeous beautiful women. Makes me wanna switch my major in my last two weeks of class.

Nobody is going to suck your cock for having a good looking computer, faggot

Also, don't date women in the college of business. Many don't give a fuck about having a family or relationships, just working & money. Nursing majors are where its at, boys.

Thanks to Apple, women care about how your laptop looks like how they care about how your car looks. Not all but a lot do (the goods ones don't care so much unless its ridiculous).

I saw a chick with a Latitude E6430 at a coffee shop one day, when I saw her there again I asked her what made her pick out a machine like that.
Her answer was her dad had recommended it when she had asked him what she should get for a reliable laptop.

But the weirdest Laptop - Owner combination I ever saw was this young woman with a toddler in a basket, and a brand new Panasonic Toughbook in front of her.

>buying a computer for women

Attached: 517.jpg (248x233, 9K)

Bought it for the better battery life, IPS 1080p screen, M.2 Sata SSD, etc etc etc. The women are just a bonus.

And how much did all of that cost you?

Dinosaur Thinkpad laptops with Intel 2 or just kill yourself.

>M.2 Sata SSD
WHY.EXE

No point in the the M.2 slot unless you're getting x4 NVME out of it.
May as well just stick with mSATA, if you're gonna get the same speeds.

configured with all that stuff it was $750 with a 3 year warranty. I did the math, it wasn't much more than my pimped out T430 at the time.
I had an i7-3840QM, 16GB, 256GB SATA SSD, 9 Cell Battery, Slice Battery, Classic Keyboard, Alienware display. I sold off the components, restored it to stock, and sold the T430. Then picked up the Latitude. I almost stupidly fell for the T25. But after shopping the market, I decided on a 7480 from the Dell Outlet. It was an OK deal. Its noticeably lighter and the display was a big improvement.Has a dock for my desk too. I don't use it for games or CAD. If OP needs CAD stuff, the W530 might have an NVIDIA chip he might need.. $450 is kinda high for a W530 but thats somewhat a fair price if it has a GPU.

True. NVMe is marginally better though, but real-world it doesn't really matter. M.2 is more for the size reductions of the laptop chasis of modern laptops. Not so much for bandwidth or speed improvements.

mSATA isn't officially supported as boot on the ThinkPads. It was meant more for the WWAN I believe. It works fine with mSATA. I would agree with you that its not much of a performance or size difference but NVMe is starting to appear, but even then, still not much of a noticable difference from what I've read. I've yet to own one yet.

>What am I in for?
A really good functioning laptop. You will probably get sick of the design in the future.

I suppose one reason to go to the newer card form factor is newer wireless cards than the Intel AC7260 or the Broadcom BCM4352.

>$450 since I'm a cheap piece of shit who doesn't want to dish out the big bucks for an ebin gaymin laptop.

>W520
>$450
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
They're worth like 200 you stupid monkey

what's it like being illiterate

I was starting to crave a 5Ghz card when I had my T430. 2.4 was still good enough though.

I often forget about Lenovo being utter knobgobbling morons about hardware standards.
Not just whitelisting device firmware, but straight up making shit up as they go.

This is why I like my Latitudes and Precisions, if it fits, it works.
Go to ebay, grab a half mini card, plug it in, screw it down, mash some drivers into the OS, and away it goes.

yep. wifi whitelisting, battery whitelisting. trying to trap businesses into buying just their stuff? I never fully understood it.