Video Cassetes

Does anyone still use VHS/VCR's? If so, what do you use them for? Video cassette thread.

Attached: retro_vhs_night_light_1.jpg (960x960, 206K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=jiu0LPeLQPE
youtu.be/-z4iw8Ppo1o
wesleytech.com/jvc-introduces-new-4k-vhs-tape/594/
youtu.be/L4yS08N0xeU
twitter.com/AnonBabble

For those who do use tapes in 2018, what format/ players do you recommend? Is it worth the extra cash for S-VHS?

Not begging but I would appreciate a response other then myself.

Well fine then, though I don't use VHS anymore and only have some faint nostalgia from it, back from when I was little and my parents used to play cartoons for me. I do like physical formats in that sense, but VHS is sadly so behind in terms of quality that I don't really see a use for it, unlike vinyl for instance which can still provide good audio quality.

Thanks for the response. I still have most of my childhood tapes in a drawer under my bed. I have an old CRT with a build in VCR that i use to play my old tapes when needed. I've found that if you want to spend a little bit more money, you can get a tape player that outputs over s-video that could get you some more life out of your tapes.

l like crts for gaming but not watching videos.

It's mostly a thing with horror collectors now.

My parents had some old casettes, I transferred all their shit to DVDs, that was 5 yrs ago, I haven't seen any since then.

Why would you do that?

Imagine being this poor

it smell like onions spirit

I occasionally dig out the old vhs cases I have open them up and smell the plastic. I don't know what it was but something about vhs cases smelt good.

If you want to get into outdated formats, LaserDisc is a better choice.

If you have little kids, you can buy VHS tapes of all the Disney cartoons and movies for 10 cents at a local library. Hell, some people are just giving theirs away. Little kids couldn't care less about the difference in quality, and you will have saved a lot of money not buying all those films on BluRay. Because, your kids will outgrow them quickly anyway. Also, there are still some films that never made it to DVD or BluRay. So, VHS is the only way to watch them. Although, you should digitize them as soon as possible.

I've digitized a few tapes using a semi-professional deck, and quality of s-video output is not as good as what's actually on the tape. Digital DV output over firewire had more detail and a less washed out image. Sadly the deck has no component output and SCART only outputs either s-video or composhit.

>not using more superior format

Attached: betamax.jpg (782x493, 112K)

>holds 60 minutes

I used one a few weeks ago to create an EP cover for my band. Spent days trying to achieve a realistic VHS effect in Photoshop and just thought it’d be much easier to actually just dub the image to a tape.

>Implying you last longer than 10 minutes

anime

VHS has analogue audio right? ive always wondered if its possible to convert a VHS player into a 100% audio format to use as a cheap alternative to reel to reel. there is probably a lot more good quality VHS tape in existence that could be re used.

No, but I could imagine using them again. People are literally giving them away for free here. A few weeks ago I found an old tape I had recorded anime on in the mid 90's. The quality was way better than I remembered.

they could do HD

youtube.com/watch?v=jiu0LPeLQPE

R8
youtu.be/-z4iw8Ppo1o

still have one since 1992 for my vintage music vhs (like nin).

I'm not a retrofetishist numale so I don't.

>Implying you would spend 300+ dollars on D-Theater machine

I know this response is a day late but, do you have a suggestion for a machine that I could use? I don't mind spending money to digitize.

this is already a thing.

>has crappy video quality

hipster cred

I've not used anything beyond JVC SR-VS30U. That deck is quite expensive used.
For best quality you should look for component output, but to digitize it you'll have to spend even more money and get an additional PCI input card (like Hauppauge Colossus). Some decks have VHS-DVD combos, and even though they have component output it may be exclusive only to the DVD input. You should find a manual and look up exact details before grabbing one, even though they may seem cheap. All of the decks with component output seem to support S-VHS or D-VHS, so you should probably search using those terms.
Another option is getting a deck that has firewire output. Alternatively called dv or i.link. The one that I've used has exactly that. Price for a used model is quite steep as they are mostly semi-professional. Firewire PCI input cards are dirt cheap.
I've taken a quick look and JVC HM-DH30000U has all those features I listed, if you're ready to shell out up to $200 on ebay.

Cutfag detected.

HDMI VHS cassette players go for a lot on eBay, especially the ones that upscale to 1080p and burn DVDs famalam

I have a couple of Beavis and Butt-head tapes with episodes that were censored on the Complete Collection DVD. Personally, I just use VHS for TV shows.

Considering I have tapes recorded in 1993 that still play fine I'm beginning to think magnetic tape it the best archive medium.

Just get a vhs camcorder for like $10, most of them have video/audio out for playback on tv's

To be cut is to lose the majority of your nerve endings, being cut means you feel less than 1/9th the amount of pleasure than you would uncut due to only containing 1/9th the amount of nerve endings as you would have had. Cut means you last longer. Interesting factoid, an uncut penis has more nerve endings than a vagina, but a cut penis has far less.

OP here. Do you think this could make a good general thread? Could also include other formats like audio cassette, laser-disk, 8 track, etc. Perhaps also CRT televisions and Vacuum tube technology. Ex. Analogue general.

>Analog shit general

I work in a recycling center where people drop shit off all the time. Long story short, someone through away a VHS camera. Would have took it if I had a charger.

Look at good will if you want one.

Not anymore, but my late dad used to store data on them for use with our Amiga computer. From what I remember, it wasn't that great of a solution and files would get corrupted from time to time.

Sorry to hear about your father. Neat use for tapes. I'm too young to ever have been around that lol.

Does anybody's job still use Cassettes? In my high school, they (VCR's) are used to process video announcements coming from the office.

The only recent time they have been used to play tapes was when a tech teacher dusted of a tape about the history of flight.

>Is it worth the extra cash for S-VHS?
Yes better resolution (1080i?), and better audio, but there where very few releases.

My DVD recorder has a VCR built into it. I've used it less than 5 times to watch some old movies on tape.

Only for nostalgia. I have a handful of VHS tapes from way back that I watch from time to time. An old copy of The Hobbit (Rankin/Bass cartoon from 1979), Gone With The Wind, and a compilation of intro/promo clips with music I edited together in A/V class in HS for campus TV in the late 90s.

SVHS is still 480i like all formats intended for CRT TVs. It just has a higher horizontal resolution, better sound quality and chroma/luma separation. They're good for home movies, even if prerecorded tapes are extremely rare nowadays. HDVHS/D-Theatre was 1080i but it's even more rare and expensive.

Does anyone still use VHS/VCR's? If so, what do you use them for?
Holding a little shelf for my router.

>SVHS is still 480i
That's lower than I thought I must have confused it for
>HDVHS/D-Theatre was 1080i

S VHS is a lot more common than D Theater. I found an article dated 2008 I think it was that mentioned a 4k VHS format called X-VHS, which was used in professional settings only and is probably the rarest type of VHS tape if any machines still exist at all

Yeah there was some Japanese video format that could do 1080i in the early 90's but it never took off. SVHS was meant to replace VHS and compete with Laserdisc among cinephiles but only took off among amateur filmmakers. It's slightly worse than Laserdisc but has one major advantage, the Svideo port. Laserdisc and VHS are limited to composite only.
D-Theatre looks really neat but the ebay prices are too expensive for something that's basically a novelty at this point.

wesleytech.com/jvc-introduces-new-4k-vhs-tape/594/
it's an April Fools Day article

HDCAM is another digital HD videotape format capable of capturing up to 2K (using a version of the format that uses higher density tape). It's almost entirely unseen outside of higher end production houses, though

Attached: 1515612010525.jpg (300x300, 10K)

I miss video.
>30 frames per second captured as 60 interlaced fields, giving the illusion of 60fps content on CRTs
>now even TV shows have fallen for the 24fps meme, everything looks like juddery garbage on 60Hz displays. We don't even use fucking film anymore, 24fps should be a dead standard.

I have every disney movie on VHS but I don't watch them.

I only use my VHS player very occasionally to add VHS effects to music videos I make for my friend's band which wants that aesthetic.

Same. Surprisingly they're all watchable provided I fiddle with the tracking control.

Thanks user. He was super into technology, at the time the hardware to actually use VHS for data storage was expensive as fuck. He sold a pretty decent plot of land belonging to our family to buy it, told my mother to just deal with it because "this is the future, technology is progressing and you don't want to be left behind". Few years later he ditched the whole setup, so needless to say she wasn't too happy, lol. Don't remember how it worked exactly, pretty sure it was called VBS though. You could use it for backups for sure, but whether you could actually run software straight from it, dunno. Was a while ago.

>>now even TV shows have fallen for the 24fps meme
film has been used in TV since scripted TV was a thing son
Breaking Bad, The Sopranos, Seinfeld, Cheers, Brady Bunch, I Love Lucy, etc, etc. all were shot on film.

Many old computers ran software straight from tape, often from a conventional tape deck. Loading times took anywhere from minutes to half an hour and it was stored in RAM so when you turned it off or it crashed you had to rewind and do it all over again.

If those films never made it to dvds, than it's probably not worth watching. Also, why would you get a whole bookcase of cassettes when you can just download what you need on a hard drive ? Or even just use Netflix

At my cabin I've got like 600 VHS tapes, a 32 inch crt and a new vcr. It's nice on rainy or cold days. As with most hobbies, there is always something more convenient or logical. Who cares?

>and quality of s-video output is not as good as what's actually on the tape.
i thought the information on the tape was stored in a composite signal.

We've had a Commodore 64 before that and it used cassette tapes for storing software. You could definitely run games straight from tape on C64 (as I remember doing it myself), but I'm not sure whether you could run applications from VHS on the Amiga or was it backup only.

In terms of data storage technology, when IBM PCs came around I used to be super jealous of my friend who had a fancy ZIP drive while I had to deal with 1.44MB floppies. Don't know why that never became the standard. Too expensive perhaps?

got pics?
do you store everything on rows of bookshelves or something?

Zip disks were never popular because they had to compete with CDs which held 650MB compared to just 100 or 200. Later in its life 750MB disks were made but it cost a lot more than CDs and you had to have a dedicated drive as opposed to CD drives which were already becoming standardized.

Thanks for the explanation. I wasn't a big fan of CDs back in the day either, hated how all it took was a few scratches (or leaving the disc out in the sunlight, even worse that) and it was game over man. Fucking around with toothpaste trying to salvage your data - priceless. Later on they got sturdier, but initially I was sure the tech is going to die any minute now because of how unreliable it was, lol. Guess it's good I don't trade stocks, I'm not that great with predicting the future.

>leaving the disc out in the sunlight
Try leaving one in the CD player in your car on a hot California summer day. Had to take apart the thing to remove the melted disc.

all that obscure content i can't find on other formats

Well sheeeit... Did the CD player work afterwards or did you have to buy yourself a new one?

>Zip disks were never popular

Attached: dunce2.jpg (763x771, 60K)

The player worked but I fucked up the radio antenna connector so I had to cut it off and attach a new one but after that it was as good as new. The CD was just an album I burned myself so nothing of value was lost.

>Does anyone still use VHS/VCR's?
Fuck then and fuck that format.

I have memories of being super disappointed and sad when the ONE COPY of the ninja turtles my blockbuster had was so fucked up at least half the film had that flickering when the tape is shot to hell.

Fuck them and fuck nostalgia for anything tape based.

Then why bother posting here?

I do. I record modern movies to VHS for fun.

I also make music mixtapes to them. The sound quality is good enough on stereo, a 180 minute tape takes 6 hours on music with LP speed.

I've got three VCR's , one high-quality SVHS one and a couple of normal tier stereo decks.

Attached: vhs.jpg (4160x3120, 3.86M)

>VHS gets damaged
>still watchable probably
>DVD gets damaged
>completely unwatchable
You're not really making a convincing point, VHS is way more rugged than any disc format as long as you store it in a dry place.

Attached: 1525052703730.jpg (1687x656, 191K)

They are great for mastering audio. You get nice tape compression.

Digital vcrs outperform DVDs and can store 50GB of content on a single tape. It's also a great way to record or copy hd on air broadcasting.

D theater tapes rival standard blu-ray.

>stranger things
>Harry Potter

Attached: 1521899842658.gif (800x800, 195K)

keep your shrill insecurities to yourself

I used to have a number of cassette tapes but I had to get rid of them when downsizing. Now the physical media I have are CDs but I still do miss cassettes sometimes. I do like physical media for certain things more than digital, a lot of the times you'll find something on a shelf you wouldn't have considered listening to while on a search engine; one example being that one day there was a ton of celtic discs in a store so I got a few to check them out when I wouldn't have listened to them otherwise.

I have the newer model of that. Outputs VHS through HDMI upscaled to 1080p and makes even the best tapes look like garbage. Through the RF modulator it's blurry as fuck but that looks fine through my nostalgia goggles.

I know exactly one person who uses VHS in 2018. Guess what? They're fucking autistic.

My drive belt has snapped in my betamax. Is there any good source for replacement rubber drive belts? Every place i've looked, replacement belts seem pretty expensive (for a piece of rubber!) and I can never seem to find the exact thickness and size.

I still have a VCR, an old Sony DVD/VHS combo. I use it to play my old Disney movie tapes, pirated TV, Blockbuster rips I don't feel like downloading, etc.

permanent storage (as in 90yrs+) for data.

I've got a huge collection of them, but I don't like to brag/talk about it with normies for fear of being perceived as hipster as fuck.

Fuckin love 'em though. Tape has this great quality where the colors kinda bleed together and everything looks very warm and organic. Plus there's nothing better than the tactile feeling of pushing in a tape and hearing that *k'CHUNK* *-whirrrrr*

I used to just buy any and all tapes that were slightly interesting or culturally relevant, but now I've really trimmed down my collection. Went from about ~450 to 90 solid tapes. John Carpenter and John Hughes, Halloween, Friday the 13th, Evil Dead 2, Mad Max 2, Robocop, Alien, y'know, all the good shit. And of course, a fuck ton of cuts and imported foreign tapes of Blade Runner. Love that film. Japanese version is a lot of fun to put on in the background.

Unfortunately there's some stuff you can only get on tape. Like Robot Carnival; a lot of the newer versions are missing some shorts because of licensing issues. Plus the color looks less flat and more dynamic in the tape as opposed to the digital copies.

Yeah, tapes are great OP. Thanks for making this thread.

Composite actually means "stored together". VHS stores all video data on the same signal however at a lower resolution than CVBS. Resolution depends on recording mode selected as well. My best guess is that the S-Video converter is either trashy or has suspiscious image correction going on that may try to remove noise, but ultimately removes detail.

Same, I love old tapes. My collection grew to over 1000, but got too much... Sold the lot for pennies a tape.

And kicking myself over the tapes I threw away I've never found torrents of... I should have got a capture card and ripped them when I still had them

Re: the disney movies, I happened to see the 'remastered' dvd version of Robin Hood, and it looked like shit compared to my old VHS. Like the layers don't blend into eachother.

Also, while that old disney shit is max comfy, I'd never expose my kids to the shitty SJW movies they made later

If a nerve gets cut you have a new nerve ending. Your logic is retarded. The new endings end up with the same sensitivity because they still send the same fucking signals to your brain.

This reminds me of my youth, buying bootleg tapes out of some dudes trunk near the gas station every weekend.

This is a roundabout compliment.

VHS was always complete dogshit, there were actually good tape formats made by Sony used for production, however.

>It's almost entirely unseen outside of higher end production houses, though
More specifically for broadcast, digital cinema and as a delivery to clients. The tape format was famously used for the Star Wars prequels, coupled with the first digital camera that was aimed at cinema production – Sony HDW-F900.

Attached: serveimage[1].jpg (1280x720, 274K)

>colors kinda bleed together
That's because of the ultra-low horizontal chroma resolution at only about 40 samples! It's so bad even S-VHS doesn't have a fix for it!

I just used a rubber band to fix my turn table. I'd look through your junk drawer before buying anything

God, these memes get more horrifying the more I look at them.

>actually believing this
>Americans mutilating the genitals of their children
>the absolute state of America
Keep rationalizing user. Also the head of your dick looses most if its feeling/pleasure due to permanent externalization.

youtu.be/L4yS08N0xeU

Attached: 1501815589007.jpg (300x256, 15K)