Ubuntu mate giving me the feels

I started using ubuntu around 7.XX or 8.XX when gnome 2 was the standard. I learned programming on it, got my first school email address, got a yahoo email id, then gmail and facebook. Basically started my internet life on it. Today I decided to download ubuntu mate and try it out in a live environment. It gave me the feels bros. The top "Applications Places Systems" and the bottom panel for windows with the show desktop icon and the virtual desktop switcher. Exactly like how I remembered my gnome 2 days! If I install netbeans and java, I think I'll start crying.
I think I'm going to switch to ubuntu mate to bring back the nostalgic memories and a reminder of the times when I very good at academics, good at sports and had a fucking life unlike the loser life I am currently leading. I am embarking on a journey to become a Google brain resident (or an AI researcher at other cos) in 2 years time (starting grad school soon) and I think it's the perfect time to work in a DE that constantly reminds me of the good times in life.
(I'll be switching from KDE neon which I also really like.)
Don't know where else to post this feels thread. Here's to the good times ahead!

Attached: feels.png (1280x720, 167K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/KDE/wacomtablet
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

mate is great
dont let anyone tell you otherwise

I like mate. Something about it gives me early 2000's vibes, almost like macs from that time period even though the UI is different.

MATE is hyper comfy. Bring back the good ole times...

Attached: cosmicwojack.png (680x657, 625K)

thx for that screenshot, got me motivated
im getting ready to install
want a peaceful afternoon to get it done

I prefer Cinnamon, but Mate is nice.

MATE is buggy shite

Much better than gnome 3

bait or retard, either way neck urself

God your computer looks like you spilt pea soup all over the monitor.

Attached: image.jpg (690x791, 560K)

MATE bros, I've got a question.

I love the ability to integrate [minimize,maximize,close] buttons into the taskbar, but how the hell do I go about themeing them?

Pic related - left is what I want them to look like, and my configuration, right is what it actually looks like.

Send help.

Attached: halp.jpg (1455x872, 448K)

>100% core usage when moving windows
No, thanks.

I get 100% cpu usage opening any application, even htop. it goes away in seconds. hardly a problem.
the real nuicsance is lag.

> not using KDE

Fixed.

>be KDE
>have krita, the best and biggest digital painting application on linux
>don't have a way to configure wacom tablets outside of shell scripts

There's a settings module for that.

github.com/KDE/wacomtablet

>You just have to compile it yourself user!
HAHAHA

which other major DE has a windows like feel like kde?

Just get the AUR package.

>just install my special autist distro and use unsupported software to have basic functionality that was removed 3 years ago because "qt4 dependencies"
Lmao

Hey man, it's not my fault you use trash distros That don't make third party software easily available through a user repo.

Cinnamon.

Xfce and MATE both have Windows layout options called "Redmond" as well.

Do any of these support an icons-only taskbar like Windows and KDE have? Last time I checked Cinnamon at least didn't.

That's pretty nice, user. Hope you fix your life just like you're fixing your computer. Try going to the gym.

I'm also /comfy/. Pic related, haters gonna hate by I fucking love GNOME

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-04-27 22-55-56.png (1920x1080, 1.57M)

Most of Jow Forums and normies are using computers that gnome would run terribly on. when it runs well it's not that bad and overall this ubuntu LTS was way better than I expected. of course that's just my opinon

>haters gonna hate by I fucking love GNOME
Good on you.
Most of the hate GNOME gets isn't even because of the DE itself, but because of the developers influencing shit beyond GNOME.

there's one available as an applet on cinnamon-spices, it might be outdated. b00merang windows 10 transformation pack recommends it
ubuntu mate 17.10 also had one, but it was quite ugly with shit background gradients.
xfce has it as an option on the right cick menu for the panel, it isn't a separate applet like for the others.
I don't think lxde has one

So much this. Just stop getting rid of options and configurations already. Gnome3 in and of itself isn't bad

>Most of Jow Forums and normies are using computers that gnome would run terribly on.
Welp. I haven't see a computer struggling with GNOME desu. Some of my friends have old laptops but they never complained about performance really (not older than 2011, though).

>overall this ubuntu LTS was way better than I expected. of course that's just my opinon
Are you talking about Ubuntu itself or their GNOME install? To be honest, I didn't like it after testing it. Got Ubuntu Server and installed plain gnome-shell. A bit more or work because the server iso has not-so-good defaults for desktop usage. Guess that's my fault for thinking that "server iso" = "headless desktop iso".

I actually disagree with most of the shit I've heard from them. They made design decisions I disagree and are actively a pain to deal with (why the fuck get rid of indicators?? also, I don't think getting rid of window bars will go well, but welp, LTS support ends in 5 years so hopefully things will be different by then. also the file picker meme)

But really, GNOME just works. You can make it yours. There is an extension for almost everything. All themes support it. It doesn't feel sluggish. I can install a barebones DE and handpick programs from MATE or other desktop and they'll look good because GTK magic. Qt5 programs look ok too.

man I just really love GNOME

Attached: Archer and Rin together in red.jpg (1467x1921, 456K)

>Welp. I haven't see a computer struggling with GNOME desu
GNOME performance is basically russian roulette.
Just go to their subreddit and make a search for "lag" or "choppy" and you will find people with all kinds of setups complaining about it. Doesn't matter if you have beefy hardware, doesn't matter what drivers you use. On some systems performance is just shit.

I'd love Ubuntu MATE if you could smoothly go back to the old orange Clearlooks theme.

I'm used to ubuntu's version of gnome so it didn't bug me at all. I was just saying that it is way better than 17.10 because it my computer runs quieter and it's snappier. I also have yet to have a single crash and that was a way different story on 16.04

gnome "just worked" on my 10+ year c2d laptop, but it used 1.5 gb doing nothing on a fresh boot.
gthumb however is an absolute piece of shit that chrashed/rendered my system unresponsive any time I tried to so much as crop a picture.
and I'll not blame Firefox, but too often some random js would do the same - it's a miracle gnome works as well as it does being JavaScript: the desktop.
and lest I forget, evolution is a tremendous memory hog, and the file indexing is nearly as terrible as baloo
all in all, these defects turned what could have been decent, if bloated into a miserable experience fairly quickly.

Budgie is similar to Windows and has this feature on by default.

im waiting for budgie 11 using qt before trying it

It's hella nice, tried it yesterday for the first time, comfiness level through the roof. I wanna run it full-time but I'm still deciding between Ubuntu Budgie and Solus.