/sqt/ Stupid Questions Thread

Post your questions here

Read >search
ddg.gg/lite

redirect new friends making their own threads with >previous

Attached: free.jpg (187x255, 21K)

Other urls found in this thread:

strawpoll.me/15599437
thepiratebay.org/torrent/9175198/Windows_7_SP1_Ultimate_(64_Bit)
github.com/ccd0/Jow
addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/tampermonkey/
superuser.com/a/86827
filestore.community.support.microsoft.com/api/image/6580ec70-2888-421c-a42f-7235821ae574?upload=true.
onlinevideoconverter.com/video-converter
clipconverter.cc/
rg3.github.io/youtube-dl/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Whats a good light manga reader for windows10? I feel like reading some but don't feel like going to a website to do it.

Attached: IMG_7346.png (302x310, 138K)

I have a Windows 7 Home disc and product key that came with a refurb laptop years ago. I want to install W7 on this laptop which doesn't have a disc drive, so I tried using the product key to download an official ISO but it wouldn't allow it saying to speak with the manufacturer.

How do I go about getting an official ISO?

winsat auto launches UI gets fucked, terminate winsat, UI back to normal.
why would it auto launch, is this normal or malicious? I mean it seems like a legit Microsoft tool but it didnt do anything except make the UI look different and when i tried manually running it again, nothing happened.
thoughs?

whats the name of that software that analyzes your HDD and points out bad sectors? Like a grid with green being good and red meaning bad sectors?

crystal disk info?

What is going on with Clover the boards never update and images don't load

What browser do I use now that I kicked the Windows jew?

>Chrome is a botnet
>Firefox is a meme

not exactly what i was thinking of. I've seen a couple memes where "WD" or "Seagate" were spelled out in red on a grid in a program that analyzes the bad sectors in your HDD, that's the program I'm looking for

My dormitory gives us free internet, but it limits our bandwidth usage to 100GB per month.
I am grateful that they give us free internet, but i think the amount is very low.
Can you guys answer how much bandwidth you use per month in this strawpoll, so i can get an idea how much it really is?

strawpoll.me/15599437

I'm not sure I think it had something to do with them moving something. Sorry if that sounds stupid but I read that all you have to do is download the dev edition/version. Also something about the one on fdroid being 9 months old.

Attached: IMG_8991.jpg (575x586, 79K)

1. go to any big torrent site
2. look for MSDN windows 7 home isos
3. download the one which other users '"verified"

I heard good things about ice cat but I've only used it on a phone instead of a computer and thing was painfully slow.

Aren't those pirated versions? I don't want any shady spyware.

No. MSDN isos are official isos from Microsoft (MSDN = Microsoft Developer Network).
A lot of people who have MSDN access (usually IT professionals and IT-related university students) download Windows ISOS from there then share them on torrents so people have access to legit, unmodified windows installation media.

What's the best free antivirus/antimalware software for windows 10? I dont trust windows defender, even though I dont download anything from untrusted sources

That is good to know, thank you. Couldn't find anything on TPB or rarbg though.

My printer is doing a "CLACK CLACK CLACK" thing but when I turn it off, I can move all the gears normally.
How do I find out what is wrong?
The model is a Lulzbot mini

why is explorer.exe is so lame?
is for a virus?
what antivirus should i use?

I would like to create a fake social media profile. Where can I find image packs of the same person, which have not already been scraped by all major image indexers?

Attached: real.jpg (401x604, 64K)

P.S. willing to pay for the image packs

Chansluts and /soc/.

People are dumb enough to post multiple current pictures, often with EXIF.

thepiratebay.org/torrent/9175198/Windows_7_SP1_Ultimate_(64_Bit)

Is this legit?

MATE bros, I've got a question.

I love the ability to integrate [minimize,maximize,close] buttons into the taskbar, but how the hell do I go about themeing them?

Pic related - left is what I want them to look like, and my configuration, right is what it actually looks like.

Send help.

Attached: halp.jpg (1455x872, 448K)

mirror.corenoc.de /digitalrivercontent.net
Get an original ISO and use the latest version of Loader (mydigitallife forums). Reddit has some good links (Jow Forumspiracy)

doesn't Jow Forums scrub exif?

Thank you very much.

what should i use for 2FA? authy? dont want to use google authenticator.

This is a good idea, but I would like images that won't appear anywhere except on my profile, for at least a month, the more the better. Also, scraping threads will require active maintenance, I would much rather pay for ready made packs - if they exist... I'm probably not the first person with this particular need.

i'm tired of windows being so shitty

should i get linux?

No one knows how it works because sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't.

They don't exist. You can literally get 30+ pics from chansluts in one shot that won't appear anywhere else and if you're just using it for fake SM, can spread out their usage ove time.

how to install linux in android?

eh, probably not. of course, if you understand that almost everything works differently beyond the desktop environment and are patient enough to learn how everything works (probably borking your installation a couple of times in the process), then it MIGHT be a good idea. but this really all depends on what you use your computer for. if you could tell us that, we would be able to offer better advice.

just look at this, even the file icons! is a mess! :(

Attached: ñ.png (1368x41, 24K)

I normally use less than 200GB, unless there's a new computer game out

I want to install 4chanX on firefox and I need to install Tampermonkey, but looking at the permissions I'm a bit worried. Is it safe?

Attached: (390).jpg (469x454, 24K)

Embedded streamable.com videos don't load for me on Chromium Arch Linux, does anyone else have that problem? The video just stays black. I have flash installed but it just doesn't work does anyone know why that could be?

Where do you install it from?
The metadata block only allows it to be run on Jow Forums (and recaptcha).
It has a connect permission to any website because it can download images and post them directly, maybe that's what tampermonkey means with "access your data for all websites"?
see github.com/ccd0/Jow Forums-x/blob/master/builds/Jow Forums-X.meta.js

Forgot to say I was worried about Tampermonkey

addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/tampermonkey/ here the permissions tab

Oh.
Yes, it needs to do these things to make scripts work, otherwise the scripts themselves couldn't do it.
I personally use the new greasemonkey, but it is not compatible with some older scripts.

Thanks, I've copied all my settings but for some reason the Dev version will only display as a single column regardless of which setting I choose. Anybody else encountered this?

Attached: Screenshot_20180429-130449.png (720x1280, 203K)

HOW IN THE HOLY MOTHER OF FUCK DO I EXTRACT RAR FILES ON TOTAL COMMANDER ON ANDROID WHAT THE FUCK???

Winrar

It looks like we have a winrar

Fixed.

Sup Jow Forums. I'm having trouble starting a simple date RPG in Netbeans using JavaFx as a practice and as a joke for my friend (since he is a waifufag). I could have finished it in a few hours if I was doing it text-based or in a day using Swing but I want to practice using Fx since it is the defacto replacement for Swing. I've used Fx once before but only for basic tutorial programs and such. Do any of you have any tips on making these kinds of GUI's before I make a huge clusterfuck or have a better alternative? The game would be similar to the old style flash sim date RPGs (including pictures/maps for locations). Thanks!

Hi people!
Searching for a term describing the incapacity of understanding technology due it's exponential complexity.
I think there's a definition from some novel author but I can't find such term anywhere.

Pls help

Attached: 1491156630234.jpg (1280x738, 38K)

I had a pull request accepted 3 days ago.
They were very quick in reviewing it and replying to comments. The entire thing was done in 2 days and that's only because I had work and couldn't do the revision straight away.

Now it's sitting still open but accepted and reviewed 3 days ago. Why hasn't it been merged into master yet? Was I supposed to do something else? They didn't ask me to rebase. Last comment is the head maintainer saying "has my approval".

At the bottom of the page I have a button saying "Close pull request" or "Comment". I thought closing it would cancel it though? Don't the maintainers have to pull and close it?

How do I install kernel headers without make modules_install?

I don't need module support, but I need headers for my kernel, since DKMS requires them to be present.

Attached: kuybei.png (500x500, 77K)

Got a fucked up question. Tryna help my old dad with his pc and he has issues running anything in administrator, antivirus programs wont run and he can't run safe mode. Generally whenever I try to run anything in administrator the error message is (it's in Dutch but loosely translated it's): "can not find given procedure". For trying to run antirvirus the error code is 0xc0000142 or 0xc66d007e etc.

You guys have got the faintest clue what's going on? I assume a mix between wrongly installed windows files and a virus.

Can someone redpill me on VeraCrypt? I was under the impression that it was just like any other software, brainlet friendly, I thought it was like

>Install program
>Run program
>Encrypt files
>Done

But then when I looked into it didn't seem to be that straightforward at all. What I took from it, and I hope someone can tell me I'm wrong and how, was

>Create virtual disk space
>Create password
>Copy whatever files to disk space
>Files can still be accessed from disk space while the computer is on
>When you shut it down nothing is encrypted anymore
>Repeat the whole process the next time you boot up the computer

I think what I took away from it was incorrect because it would make it a pointless, arduous, chore to ever use. Can someone help this brainlet out?

Do I risk anything if I disable meltdown fix in windows?

Well, what are you trying to do?

You can either encrypt an entire partition/disk or just create a container file that you can mount and move files into.

>>Create virtual disk space
So, a container?
>>Files can still be accessed from disk space while the computer is on
As long as the container is mounted, yes. That's the whole point of it.
>>When you shut it down nothing is encrypted anymore
The container is encrypted and not mounted, to read the files you need to mount that container again.
>>Repeat the whole process the next time you boot up the computer
Next boot if you want to access the files you mount the container and enter the password.

There's websites that let you download soundcloud playlsits but the are there any that let you download all of a users tracks?

Trying to download all of review brah's radio shows.

Attached: 77608791.jpg (152x200, 8K)

Any SFW+male board on chansluts?

Sounds like a virus. Re-install the operating system.

300GB

I just want my files kept safe. I thought it was ran on a file by file basis, which I'm assuming is sort of how the container works.
Is it less of a chore to encrypt the whole drive? If the whole drive is encrypted, do I need to enter the password for every file I need to open or is it more like masterpass when it first boots up and once it's entered your free to browse without having to put the password in again? Also, say I create a container and put files in it. The container remains encrypted with the files inside, but I can't access those files until I mount the container again which I presume runs hidden(?) until mounted? I'm sorry for the questions, but the whole thing has me more confused than I should be.
Like I say I just want to keep my files and folders as safely secured as they can be, but with as little of a headache as possible.

I figured. Can't run any system recovery either. Running the accompanying recovery disk didn't manage to solve the problem either. Factory default only option?

Make sure you run a root kit scan once you factory reset.

If you encrypt the entire OS disk, then you enter the password once before boot. After that the OS doesn't know it is actually encrypted. Be warned that this, based on what methods you choose to encrypt it with, can slow it down. (There are benchmarks during creation to test stuff out)
If you have multiple hard drives/partitions then you need to encrypt those too.
If you give them the same password they can auto-mount during boot, so you only have to enter the password once.

I've used an encrypted disk for multiple years without any problems or slowdowns at all.
This was pre SSD times though, no idea if an SSD outspeeds the encryption nowadays.

The container is just a file like any other that lies on your disk.
You create it using veracrypt and give it a size. (I'm not sure, but I think you can choose if it allocates the space right away or only slowly starts growing the more files you put in)
So let's say you create a 20GB container. You then have a 20GB file wherever you saved it.
With veracrypt you then mount that file. Under windows it shows up as a new hard drive.
When you put your files on that drive they get encrypted and stored in that 20GB file.

It is not file by file, you cannot encrypt a single file with veracrypt.

Does anyone know about phone repairs?

I just took my Nexus 6P apart, swapped the battery, and also wanted to put in a new camera module because my old one hast a dust speck on the sensor or sth, but the camera app crashes every time I try it witht he new modul einstalled. Old one works fine.

What the fuck is going on?

Also, unrelated, my phone is more than 2 years orld, and the connectors were a little stuck, so I broke off the soldering point of an antenna-cable-connector off the main PCB (instead of unplugging the cable the cable came off with the whole connector, off the PCB), and I can't fucking figure out what that cable is for since everything still works, wifi, bluetooth, cell signal, ..

Attached: qSZ4TiaPCeOmN1YE.jpg (1600x1200, 329K)

Based. I forgot to ask, if you're encrypting an external drive too, you would just encrypt it the way you would an internal drive, right?
I don't have an SSD ;_; but if it works fine on your HDD I'm hoping it works fine on mine too.
I think my best bet atm is to encrypt my whole external drive (assuming it works the same way), create a container on my internal drive, and then when I get my main, larger, internal drive I'll encrypt the whole of that one. Unless you can see a problem with doing that, which by all means please point out.
One last thing, when you move files to a container does it leave a copy behind like copy and pasting, or does it move it in its entirety like cutting and pasting?
Thanks for explaining it though, I feel like I have a much better understanding of it now.

Attached: 344654.png (512x512, 308K)

What do people do to their devices that causes them to run slowly?
My mother constantly complains about her phone being slow to open apps and otherwise misbehaving, yet my phone which is both older and an older model still works just fine. She's gone through one computer and two phones because of nebulous performance problems, but I doubt it's wear and tear because my devices, which are even older, still perform fine. I don't even do maintenance on them or anything.
Is it always just a case of the user installing questionable shit that eats up memory/processing power in the background?

Same as the internal disk, different than the OS disk though.
When you create a veracrypt volume you have 3 options, it explains what they do pretty well on its own.

Your plan seems fine.

>One last thing, when you move files to a container does it leave a copy behind like copy and pasting, or does it move it in its entirety like cutting and pasting?
Probably, yes.
When you delete (or "move" a file to a different partition/disk) it just gets deleted from the file systems index, but the file data is still on the disk until it gets overwritten by something else.

There are tools that securely delete/move files by overwriting the actual data on the disk or all free space on the entire disk, see here for some superuser.com/a/86827
Just copy the files over (and make sure they're actually there) and then securely delete them.

Hypothetically if some idiot had accidentally left a laptop charging at full for literally half a year and reduced its battery life to about 15 minutes, would replacing the battery solve the problem or would the laptop itself be fucked?

Attached: 1524888503157.jpg (476x320, 38K)

That, and not cleaning the fans.

Laptop's probably fine. As long as it was off. Take the battery out and run it from the power cable and see how it does.

Should I get Logitech MX518 ?

Attached: Logitech MX518.jpg (642x600, 33K)

What free youtube downloader should I use

I'm getting two popups from Windows 10. One is a box-like popup saying I need downloads of up to 8gb filestore.community.support.microsoft.com/api/image/6580ec70-2888-421c-a42f-7235821ae574?upload=true.

Another is a full screen one saying W10 needs a 6gb anniversary update.

My laptop has 30gb of which like 6-10gb is already for the OS. It's a small one I hardly go online with, just use for work and study. Nonetheless I only have about 2gb free space.

People on the microsoft pages have said the update files themselves are just 6gb and 8gb and can be deleted afterwards, so use a USB stick. But if it's an update I'm guessing it'll leave some OS files in place.

Q: Does anybody know how much they'd take up? If it's 2-3gb I'm fucked.

Attached: 1504053148585.jpg (900x900, 230K)

onlinevideoconverter.com/video-converter
clipconverter.cc/
Latter scans for copyrighted music.

If you want to, I had that years ago and its basically just a mouse. I got tired of the tacky design eventually

I use Overchan to browse Jow Forums on mobile. A few days ago the thumbnail images stopped loading suddenly. It hasn't yet been fixed. I'm sure it isn't something I changed in the app settings.

Do you have any suggestions? I prefer it to other chan mobile browsers and don't wish to change.

Attached: Screenshot_2018-04-29-15-12-18.png (1080x1920, 296K)

I need to exchnage emails with a tech-lazy normie that owns an iphone and a pc. What is the best way to use pgp in this situation minimizing the chances of them flipping shit because it's too hard or inconvenient to encrypt/decrypt emails?

I bought a faulty PS2 for cheap this week. It powers up fine but won't read games. I did the usual checks and made some small improvements by tweaking the little gear that aligns the disk tray. When I adjusted the potentiometers I think I fried the laser.

My question is - what exactly is fried within the laser assembly? The lens itself is fine. Is it anything I can swap with a replacement component? Like, is it just a capacitor in there?

My WD my passport is recognized by win7, win10 as a usb drive yet I can't access any files on it. The drive is recognized properly in device manager, but when opening partition editor it's "not migrated"
I tried
- replacing the drivers with WD's, but it doesn't change anything.
- TestDisk to recover the partition table but it doesn't even find the drive, same with the tools in PupRescue
Windows wants to initialize the drive, installing a new filesystem in the process, but that'd remove any data still on the drive (which I'd rather keep).
Any ideas on how to rescue the data?

a worthy cause. I think this might work google around on how to use it.
rg3.github.io/youtube-dl/

You guys have any experience with Veracrypt?
I ecrypt a memory stick, and i only partially remember the password... That is, i have 90% correct, except for order and capital letters etc...
I need a program, maybe that can brute force with a lot of different combinations, cuz its likke 500 + combos, pls help

Attached: 1461272248582.png (396x385, 132K)

>i don't need module support
>but i need DKMS, a system for building modules
see: your own picture

should i use mega to back up some files? or are there other services that are better??

What's the difference between normal 2-phase locking and conservative 2-phase locking?

youtube-dl.
Ignore anything else, they are shit and can't handle DASH streams.

ps2's can work fine without a working optical drive, just get/make a freemcboot memory card, and run games from ide/usb/smb instead
phat ps2's at least will work even if the optical drive assembly is missing entirely (was given a ps2 in pieces for free once, missing the top cover and optical drive, plugged in a memory card and network adapter and it worked just fine)

Not him, but do I have to worry about the sound quality of the download if I think it sounds fine on Youtube? I know Youtube-dl can handle playlists, and tracking down the original files for thousands of songs would be so much work compared to just feeding Youtube-dl the playlist.

I know. I watched a few videos on it recently. I might do this sometime. But I want to take the challenge by the horns instead of going around it. A new laser assembly is only 4$, but there are so many bits inside it is hard for me to perfectly isolate the real source of the problem. It could be the laser. Or it could be a dozen other things. I've already taken the whole console apart and cleaned the plastic. It is frustrating trying to get it running properly.

Attached: IMG_20180428_073838-01.jpg (1080x1920, 453K)

What happens if my download speed is faster than HDD write speed?

pretty good chance it's the laser, they're usually the first things to go outside of blatant physical abuse
that's the thing, even if you replaced it, it'll still probably die again after 5-10 years, especially if you plan to play burned games, which lasers have a tougher time with

You can tell youtube-dl to download the best audio available, so you either get the same or an even higher quality than what you hear, while watching the video.

Attached: youtube-dl.png (889x380, 92K)

Eh, I'm cool with a 5-10 year lifespan. That sounds like an eternity away. I'll just offshore that problem to my future self. Presuming I still have the console then and I still play video games and stuff.

As for games, I own about 10. But that's enough for me right now. I presume on the horizon is the network adapter mod.

Attached: IMG_20180426_014750.jpg (1920x1080, 208K)

My guess is that either the excess is stored in RAM, or your OS just does not allow you to download a file faster than it can be written to memory, regardless of what your connection's maximum potential download speed is.
I don't know for sure, though.

Depends on the applications implementation.
Either they start buffering and once that is full they throttle/stop it or they just stop it right away.
Or they don't care and download it all into RAM first anyway before writing. A shit way to do it, but I already came across this multiple times.

Does linux recognize it?

>or an even higher quality than what you hear
How does that work? Is there data in the stream that browsers can't interpret, but the program can? Does Youtube keep higher-quality copies of the audio accessible, but just doesn't use them on the actual video?

>I'm cool with a 5-10 year lifespan. That sounds like an eternity away.
maybe if you're 18
and that's only assume it's an official, new laser, no clue what to expect from unofficial or used ones, i got into softmodding early on, starting with the independence exploit, and when my laser started to wear out, i got a network adapter and went full ide, didn't look back. load times from hdd is far, far better than from a dvd

What is the technical reason that Linux doesn't have thumbnails for images on the file picker? Surely it's wanted so much that someone would have implemented it by now, right? So what's stopping them?

I don't know if they still do it, but at least a few years ago the audio quality was adjusted based on which resolution was picked.

The mod intimidates me right now. All that scary computer language stuff. I just see how I could fuck that up in many ways. And right now I'm without a computer. So I'd be unable to do crucial aspects of the mod.

Attached: IMG_20180429_084915.jpg (1920x1080, 453K)

It's not a Linux thing but a GTK thing.
The GTK guys just didn't implement it and don't think it's important.
There are several other ones that support it.

Attached: 1524859960221.png (972x563, 140K)

Yeah, having someone see all the shit that's running on your computer.

there's nothing technically stopping them, proven by the fact there already exist patches that add thumbnail support in both glib2 and gtk3
the only think preventing it is lack of interest by the maintainers