Is this a good nas bay? i just want it for casual media storage and then streaming said media when im on the go

is this a good nas bay? i just want it for casual media storage and then streaming said media when im on the go

Attached: 71WbN2H-mQL._SL1500_.jpg (1500x1384, 97K)

No

Get Raspberry pi instead and bunch of external usb drives

Yes

More setup/maintenance work and probably slower just to save a relatively small amount of money in the long run.

Be warned know exactly what kind of streaming you need if you need special transcoding (x265) then lookup the hardware you need.

it looks like i want the DS218play for 4k movies then right?

Its a only 2-bay NAS with rather limited software.

Only get it if you need that web UI because you really can't into regular Linux.

I find special transcoding devices pretty silly, just stream files and let your cheap chibese htpc or smartphone decode.

Get aQNAP. Cheaper, more powerful, better software.

I have a pi zero I use for torrenting and sharing via samba and it works well with microsd speed and a cheap wifi dongle (probably 54mbps shit) I soldered on it. Think about a proper pi3 with built-in wifi and usb ports (you are probably limited in terms of bus speed shared on all your hdds and affecting your ethernet port as well). with a max speed in theory of 60mb/s you are totally fine streaming whatever full hd content from your pi, but the fact you share dbus speed with each port makes the project useless.. I would rather buy a proper nas with sata speed and gigabit ethernet. you are probably going to spend $40 more but it is worth it

Don't. Pi3 are still slow as fuck and tend to reachlike 30MB/s max on the best models

Get an ODroid XU4 or HC1/2 instead, these can run a single drive at about GBE speeds. Or get an onboard Atom/Pentium or low end ryzen or something.

Is there a SBC with 4+ SATA?

that was the point of my post but ok

Let's say I want a NAS to ftp to just as a dumb file server, what's my best bet for something I can set and forget?
What's the most practical approach to mirroring the 5+ drives I keep off-site? Can bring backups to server monthly.
Bonus: capable of making it through international flight in one piece at least once.

Yeah, it'll do, and you can use it for webdev if you ever want to learn that.

syno is great, also put a debian chroot on mine

Yea synologies are fine

wtf are you talking about? dbus speed?

Just buy a machine and setup Freenas. You gain nothing with a prebuilt and lose the ability to upgrade, replace parts, etc...

>Bonus: capable of making it through international flight in one piece at least once.
Surely the better way to do this is have the Backup program replicate from the NAS out to the server? Instead of bringing the NAS to the server.

Why would I want to stream directly from my NAS when I have a media server that reads from my NAS to my devices?

Where can you buy CPU with 15w TDP though?

How about this?

Attached: Synology NAS DS918+ 4-bay 4GB.jpg (800x600, 11K)

I have one of these suckers it runs fine but don't expect it to be fast if you have a low budget, also might check out ssd or 7.2k RPM else it runs like a fat guy.

Yes

The synology isn't good because the CPU isn't capable of on-the-fly transcoding. You're better off picking up an old dell optiplex with some extra hard drive space and using it as a NAS

What's the advantage of a Nas over just having a more functional home server

use freenas or one of the other nas/server os and roll your own on a cheap refurbished pc. anything c2d or better with at least 4 jiggerbits of ram should work fine and cost you about the same as the low end synology, but with more options.

intel atom?

Synology is fine but the fans are loud.

I've got a 918+ and a very old 4xx Synology NAS. They're great and the 918+ is capable of transcoding and streaming to 3 TVs at the same time.

Yep, I have one and I love it.

We have a 1515+ at work used for vmware backup/replication workloads and it has held up really well. We did add some RAM to it, though.

Don't use btrfs when you set it up. You'll regret it when all of your space disappears.

>put a debian chroot on mine
this is a must-have, op

Attached: 53.png (859x454, 22K)

Software, for the most part. You can always build yourself a more powerful machine for the same price as a synology or qnap, but obviously you'll need to know how to administer a server to get the most out of it

If you get a 918+, buy a cheap NVMe as well - it has 2 slots for them and performance increases noticeably.

I'm looking into replacing my Pi 3b with an odroid. It's a file server and "seedbox". My hard drive uses USB 3, can you recommend a model?

Probably the fanless XU4 variant.

This.