/pcbg/ - PC Building General

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Learn how to build a PC (You can find a lot more detailed videos on channels like Bitwit)
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g
>How to install Win7 on Ryzen
pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1

If you want help
>State the budget & CURRENCY for your build
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM, Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs
>R3 2200G - Bare minimum gaming WITH/WITHOUT a graphics card (Low end)
>R5 2400G - Consider IF on sale & closer to 2200G price
>i5-8400 - Good gaming performance, but not always smooth frametimes; consider if cheap mobo
>R5 2600X - Great gaming & multithreaded use CPU (Mid range)
>i7-8700k - Best for gaming, but most expensive when factoring in delid, high end cooler, etc.
>R7 2700X - Best high-end mixed usage on a non-HEDT platform
>TR 1950X/Used Xeon - VM Work / Streaming / Video editing (HEDT)

RAM
>8GB - enough for glorified gaming use
>16GB - for heavy PC use
>32GB+ - only if you're SURE you need it; if you have to ask, you don't
>Current CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 2933-3200 MHz is ideal

Graphics cards
>Crypto-Currency miners have driven GPU prices up
1080p
>MSRP of standard 1080p cards: 1050Ti, 140USD; 1060 3GB, $200; 1060 6GB, $230; RX 560, $115; RX 570 4GB, $170; RX 580 8GB, $220
>GTX 1070 if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates & you have a CPU + monitor to match
1440p
>GTX 1070/Ti or 1080; currently overpriced
>GTX 1080Ti if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates & you have a CPU + monitor to match

Storage
>Consider StoreMi; it actually works.
>240GB minimum for a storage drive, even with StoreMi
>2TB HDD are barely more $ than 1TB
>m.2 is a form factor, NOT a performance standard
>Consider getting a larger SSD, instead of small SSD & large HDD; add HDD later when needed

General
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING

Previous

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/8fpgme/you_can_get_the_combat_crate_for_455_from_newegg/
pcpartpicker.com/list/4tXJfH
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139112
amazon.com/ARCTIC-MX-4-Compound-Performance-Interface/dp/B0795DP124/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1525059256&sr=8-6&keywords=thermal paste
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Core_(microarchitecture)
lg.com/uk/monitors/lg-M2762DP-tv-monitor
youtube.com/watch?v=8sqs5aRBzCk
youtube.com/watch?v=YpphKzmDiJM
nowinstock.net/computers/videocards/nvidia/gtx1080ti/
pcpartpicker.com/list/ZV9XbX
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Is a 2600x and a 1080 an alright combo?

I bought a 1080GTX before all the crazy happened.

What CPU do I pair with it? Haven't really kept up since then. Is it an i7-8700k?

Yes.
Nvidia seems to have improved their driver a bit in that regard over last year.

2600X would be significantly cheaper and give more of an upgrade path, but the 8700k works.
This is covered in the OP.

>but not always smooth frametimes
Stop with this retardation

Anyway the CPU list is this:
>NO i5 7500/7600K or i7 7700/K. THEY ARE DEFUNCT AND SUPERSEDED BY COFFEE LAKE
>NO R3 1200/1300X or R5 1400/1500X. THEY ARE DEFUNCT AND SUPERSEDED BY THE R3 2200G AND R5 2400G
>R3 2200G - Gaming WITHOUT a graphics card
>G4560/G5400 - non-gaming (light tasks) or bare minimum gaming builds with a dedicated graphics card
>i3 8100 - Budget gaming builds
>R5 2600 / i5 8400 - Great gaming (especially the i5 8400) or multithreaded use CPUs (especially the R5 2600)
>R7 2700 / i7 8700K - VM Work / Streaming / Video editing

>8400 has frame time issues
Why do amd shills constantly lie?

Never used AMD before. Is 2600X unanimously the best bang for the buck right now and is enough for a 1080gtx?

7700 out performs the 8400 in a lot of cases. So how exactly is it defunct?
Dumb shill.

i thought you supposed to compare 2600 with 8600

I just have a quick question
I built my current PC back in 2009, and got a second-hand monitor. Is there an easy way to check it's specs? I want to plan out a build for primarily gaming, but I'm not sure how to start without that information

Hey, /pcbg/. Looking to build my first PC from complete scratch. I don't have a lot of money to burn (

Considering you can overclock the new 2000 series without losing out on turbo (and the lifespan of the AM4 socket), the 2600X and 2700X are really in a league of their own for mainstream value builds.

>R5 2600 / i5 8400 - Great gaming (especially the i5 8400) or multithreaded use CPUs (especially the R5 2600)
This applied when it was 1600 vs 8400. The 2600X is significant jump up over the 1600 and mostly invalided the point of the 8400, especially considering that the 8400 is on a dead socket.
All you did is change the "1" to a "2" which is no longer true when you do that.

8600 is 2600X price, not 2600, and Intel motherboards cost significantly more in most regions.

$1000 is actually pretty decent and can get you a high end 1080p or low end 1440p build. Prices have come down slightly. Though 1440p monitors are costly and probably won't fit that budget, so stick with high end 1080p.

If you want to follow >reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/8fpgme/you_can_get_the_combat_crate_for_455_from_newegg/
Then you can get your main components for only $450 ish. If you want current gen CPUs, it costs quite a bit more given GPU prices outside that bundle.

Anything from 2009 is very obsolete. But yes, Hwinfo.

Yeah, Coffee Lake isn't even a real upgrade over Kaby Lake.

They did such a lazy job shitting it out that temperature and wattage got worse.
Real progress sees improvement in all aspects. Not just performance.

Now, if I mostly game but also video edit and such on the side will a 2600x still be fine or should I bump it up to the 2700x?

pcpartpicker.com/list/4tXJfH
Building my first PC in a while. Does the extra $20 for the rog strix mobo get me any actual features or is it just meme rgb lights that I'm paying for? I'm still not sure about the monitor either.

>7700 out performs the 8400 in a lot of cases
No it doesn't.

>So how exactly is it defunct?
They perform approximately the same yet the i5 is priced way lower, retard. Additionally the i5 8400 has an upgrade path, while the i7 7700/K is at the top of its lineup.

>Dumb shill.
Fuck off, shithead. You are incredibly stupid. Can you even brush your own teeth?

Oh, and on that note, the ebates groupon newegg giftcards shit ends in 4 hours.
The max you can buy is $770 worth for $630.

The 10% bonus giftcards are separate and only those expire in the 2 months. You can wait until whenever to spend the base amount.

Yeah. The only reason they don't throttle is because they completely lie about TDP.
The fucking 8700 (non-k) has a 65w TDP and it draws 113watts max under normal usage.

The 2600X is still quite good for rendering.
As far as 6 cores go, the 8700k is better there, but then you're spending $100 more than a 2700X build would cost without the upgrade path.

>No it doesn't.
Yes it does in consistent frametimes across more games.

To check the PC's (and some of the monitor's) specs, download speccy. It'll at least tell you the monitor make and model so that you can google it

Optical drives are a thing of the past unless you really need one. The builds in the OP are to be used as skeletons: you have to look for the best deals on graphics cards (e.g., a 1050) yourself.

>2700X are really in a league of their own for mainstream value builds.
The 2700X is not a value CPU, retard. Any CPU at the top of its lineup will not be a good value by definition. You are incredibly stupid. Are you actually marketing? I can't believe they'd employ someone so brazenly obtuse

>The 2600X is significant jump up over the 1600
It is not. There's about a 10% improvement

>mostly invalided the point of the 8400
It beats the 2700X in gaming but is cheaper than the 2600. Again, you are stupid.

>the 8400 is on a dead socket
There's still an upgrade to the i7 available. Additionally we don't know if there will be BIOS updates (like Z370-->Z390) to allow support for the rumored 8 core Coffee Lake CPUs. You're wrong again

>Intel motherboards cost significantly more in most regions.
Wrong again, in fact it's the opposite. AMD has less worldwide penetration.

In summary, you are a blind, retarded, cock sucking AMD fanbitch

>Coffee Lake isn't even a real upgrade over Kaby Lake
Hmmm, i5 8400 = i7 7700. Old one cost $300 bucks, new one costs less than $200 and they have the same TDP, 65W. Get out of the thread, shithead.

I like this OP.
You fags need to stop with the delid on the 8700k tho. Most buying that CPU don't even bother to overclock.

>Yes it does in consistent frametimes across more games.
Prove it. Provide a link

To be quite honest the Coffee Lake 6+2 rumors are in full swing I wouldn't recommend anyone buying the 8700k.

Trying to build my first gaming PC, and I'm not sure I understand what OP means by "Plan your build around your monitor if gaming"
I've got pic related for now. What does this mean for me?

If necessary, I've got a budget of 1000-1200 USD

Well I'm a dumbass

Attached: Untitled.png (1920x1080, 171K)

The build you need for gaming depends on what resolution you're going to be using and what frame rate your shooting for. There's no point trying to get 100+ fps if your using a 60hz monitor, and there's no reason to get something like a 1080ti if you aren't using 4k

I'm not really an OC person.

Should I be looking for something better than 2600 to pair with a 1080GTX then

>I'm not sure I understand what OP means by "Plan your build around your monitor if gaming"
It means if you only have a 60hz monitor you shouldn't be going full autist with a build that'll drive most games at 120+ fps.

It appears that at 1080p, your monitor is actually only 50hz. lol. I didn't know that shit existed. That's actually a TV not a monitor.

Na get the 2600X. OC or not it's a better pairing.
But OCing it is easy. You can just adjust the precision boost OC.
Or just worry about that later if it feels slow and you want to get more life out of the CPU instead of upgrading.

>It appears that at 1080p, your monitor is actually only 50hz. lol. I didn't know that shit existed. That's actually a TV not a monitor.
It's pretty fucking old. It was second hand back in 2009 and I've just been using it since.

The 2600x without OC won't bottleneck the GPU?

Really the "plan your build around your monitor" for gaming thing is a joke.
There are games where 4K with a 1080ti still isn't a great idea, for example.

Personally I would wait a GPU generation or 2 before going 4K, just because it's not the standard and will be inconsistent for quite some time.

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139112

Will this 750w bronze psu run okay with a blower/stock Vega 56? 1600x ryzen.

lmao no.

Vega56 is what, like 250 watts stock? Maybe 350 with a really heavy overclock? So of course a 750w is fine. Even 620watt would be fine.

Dunno why you'd get bronze tho. When you're drawing that much power you want it as efficient as possible. Gold minimum.

Nigga you could run Bulldozer and Hawaii with 450W. You're fine.

No current-gen Ryzen or Core CPUs will bottleneck any GPU unless you underlock them.

Xs are also a scam, while Ks are obviously a scam as well, though a different type of one.

Why are x and k scam

At the time,even with the intial reviews, seemed like my 750W was overkill for the vega 56, then the mining craze gobbled everything up and I settled with a 1060gb 3gb at $170 before that thought up too.

Now I can get a vega 56 for $350 (not used) but looks like all the requirements for it shot up so I'm worried now.

>Xs are also a scam
Wrong. XFR isn't shit anymore.

K is simply because you shouldn't need to pay extra just for an unlocked CPU.

Both Intel's and AMD's X suffixes just mean they'll burn your house down in exchange for 3% better performance.

Add on to that that the Ryzen X CPUs are advertised as being special for having XFR, which all Ryzens have anyway.

>Now I can get a vega 56 for $350 (not used)
user please don't point to where because I will buy one right now.

So I should get a 2600 instead of 2600x then

I'm guessing you won't be able to overclock an 8 core that well on a z370 board

They aren't a scam. He's just a technically illiterate retard.

X CPUs are THE chips to get because of precision boost overclocking BTFOing typical overclocking for daily use.

This shit has been explained multiple times in the past 3 or 4 threads but he's too stupid to read and understand it and instead keeps spamming that misinformation.

understands

You'll have to buy a CPU cooler whereas the X comes with a decent one already.

2600 with an aftermarket cooler.

The 2600 is in an awkward place because, like the 2400G, the stock cooler is a Wraith Stealth when it should have a Wraith Spire.

They can get away with having the Stealth, but not with much headroom to play with.

Agreed. The i5 8400 is still a good buy, because if the upcoming i5 are 6c/12t as rumored, the i7 8700 will be a cheap upgrade on the used market by the time it's actually needed. It's also remotely possible that the new i5s will work on a B360

It's probably 75Hz at 1080p, or it can be OC'd to that. It's a TN panel

Don't get a 1080 for 1080p. Anything more than a 1070 is a severe waste of money unless you have a 144Hz monitor, and even then a 1070 is plenty

>"plan your build around your monitor" for gaming thing is a joke.
The only joke here is your attempt to reason. I'm laughing. How are there this many stupid anons on Jow Forums?

>lmao
Get off my Jow Forums.

>No current-gen Ryzen or Core CPUs will bottleneck any GPU unless you underlock them.
False, obviously the G5400 or R3 2200G will bottleneck a 1080Ti at 1080p

The G5400 isn't a Core CPU, it's a Pentium.
2200G will be fine.

brainlet here
does it matter how I clean residue off of the cpu as long as i clean it?
also is this good? amazon.com/ARCTIC-MX-4-Compound-Performance-Interface/dp/B0795DP124/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1525059256&sr=8-6&keywords=thermal paste

>This shit has been explained multiple times in the past 3 or 4 threads
I've been following the threads and I haven't noticed any explanation. Anyway you're probably mistaking him for me, your tormentor.

Attached: 1369627196287.gif (245x240, 499K)

What do you all think about me getting a used Alienware 1070 GPU for $350?

>It's probably 75Hz at 1080p, or it can be OC'd to that. It's a TN panel
It's so old that its connectors surely don't support 75hz @ 1080p.
It's a 9 year old TELEVISION.

2200G will bottleneck a 1080 at 1080p in a good number of games. 2400G less so, but still will.
Anything above that won't, though.

Sounds ok if it's not a blower model.

Should I get the 2600x on amazon that has a wraith spire

8400 is based becauses its cheap, not hot, and gets the job done and you wont be too invested when actual good cpus are made in the future because all that is on offer now is shit for gaymen. Paying way more for overclocking and threads and a housefire is a meme

Yes don't listen to people saying the X series is bad

Pentium is just branding, retard. It's based on the Core architecture
>Mainstream Core-based processors are branded Pentium Dual-Core or Pentium
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Core_(microarchitecture)

>2200G will be fine.
Not with a 1080Ti at 1080p. How are you so stupid?

>It's a 9 year old TELEVISION.
lg.com/uk/monitors/lg-M2762DP-tv-monitor
Says Monitor TV. It's probably branded a TV because it has a built in TV tuner

>It's so old that its connectors
It has HDMI, retard

>not hot
It's a good 10 degrees hotter than a 1600X under load.

Comparing it to the rest of the Coffee Lake housefires it's cool, but it's still too hot for its relative performance.

Mine never goes above 65c in cenebench on a cheap air cooler. Im happy with it

And my 1600X never breaks 48c when I'm using a low profile cooler.
That's a pretty big temp dif.

>they will add at least two cores to the CCX for Zen2
>implying it won't be shrinking Zeppelin dies to the point of slapping two of them for a 3700x

Attached: 1519272615165.jpg (1600x1200, 263K)

Doubt. An oc 1600x pulls a lot of wattge

Not him, but who cares? 65C is a perfectly safe operating temp. In your case, the cooler is just pumping the wattage into your room - that's what coolers do. Temperatures under safe operating temps are all fine

Attached: 2600 OC'd temp stock cooler.png (1920x1080, 1.3M)

Source is youtube.com/watch?v=8sqs5aRBzCk @ 14:00

>using a 65w TDP cooler
lol

Well yeah. But you can get a $15 cooler that'll keep it under 60C.

Keep talking shithead. I'm curious to see just how wrong one person can be

Attached: a 15 dollar cooler.png (1920x1080, 1.37M)

Yeah shit was running hot on the wrath stealth

>@ ghz
>not @ voltage
haha dumb shill citing a dumb """""tech analyst""" who can't even label things right.

Is Gigabyte good at making PSU?
I generally see people recommend their Mother Boards but I've never seen anyone talk about them as PSU makers.

Attached: 1455193801198.jpg (353x332, 17K)

Is this a good deal or can I build this same pc for cheaper?

>if I do get this I’ll probably bump the video card to 1080 it so it would be 2k-ish

Attached: 1EE5ECC9-63F1-41D4-B508-EB84BD9BE235.jpg (750x585, 214K)

>haha followed by buzzwords
Get out

>Paying way more for overclocking and threads and a housefire is a meme

whatever helps you sleep at night

Yes, for

Video editing/gaming/streaming

why not use a thermal pad instead of paste?

youtube.com/watch?v=YpphKzmDiJM

Sorry, I meant to type "yes, for sure."

I just updated my graphics driver and my keyboard inputs were lagging.

It technically depends on WHICH 1080 / 1080 ti you're gonna put in there but assuming you're okay with any of them, you can build this for cheaper.

1080ti that should be enough with a i7 8700k Right?

Also thanks for answering my question I’m very new to this

i3 540 guy here.
So I'm working on this build with my cousin. We've got $300 to spend. We've currently got:
i3 540
1050 ti
500gb HDD
Case
4gb ddr3 ram
650w psu
W7

Per other posters I've been looking into a Xeon x3470 as aliexpress has it for like $35. I'd get some aftermarket cooler too, since we're on a budget I'd probably get a 212 Evo since its cheap af and a solid cooler.

On the other hand, with the $300 we have, should we get a Ryzen 1600, Mobo, and try to eke out 8gb ddr4 ram.

Which of these is the better option? How much better is the Ryzen chip than the old Xeon?

Yeah that's what I have and it's probably a little bit overkill for what I do on a day-to-day basic but it makes my e-peen feel big and nothing ever throttles, so whatever, I feel good about my purchase.

But there's like 50 different 1080tis out there, and they all vary in price. So depending on which 1080ti you get, you may go over the price of the prebuilt, or be under it.

2950x when

Oh I didn’t know that I just thought it was one

So which one would be the best for the things I wanna do? (Streaming/video editing/gaming)

S

Attached: FCB5C8C9-E59D-400B-9BB0-6D652E8B8150.gif (228x170, 1.86M)

they all have fairly similar clock speeds, the main different is by manufacturer (Asus, evga, msi, and any others i might have forgotten). Which manufacturer's card you want is mainly based off of preference.

Here's a pretty comprehensive list of all the models of 1080tis out there. nowinstock.net/computers/videocards/nvidia/gtx1080ti/

fuck I'm a retard and replied to the wrong guy.
Plus, cooling architecture might also be something to keep in mind.

For a 1050Ti just get the Xeon + 4GB of the same speed and timing RAM that you have. If it's in 2x 2GB, get another 2x 2GB kit.

An R5 1600 is way overkill for a 1050Ti. Another poster linked you to a video showcasing the Xeon in the last thread

since you're mega poor, the Xeon x3470 is probably your best option.
Spend your extra money on an SSD.

And just get an RX560 or GTX 1050 because even an X3470 is going to bottleneck a 1050Ti in some CPU heavy modern games.

>Which of these is the better option? How much better is the Ryzen chip than the old Xeon?
Close to 1.5x better single threaded and over 2x better multithreaded.
650 cinebench score vs 1125-1350(OC). Like 150 fps in CSGO vs ~275.
The Cinebench result for the X3470 is actually surprisingly good compared to its more relatively poor gaming perf.

That's an overclocked X3470 though. I don't know OPs board is going to support overclocking it.

August probably?

>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING

I got a Benq gw2270hm, a VA panel. Did I done goofed?

what are the chances of being scammed on amazon? on amazon UK there are suddenly all these expensive gsync monitors for insanely cheap. i'm not talking £100 or £200 off but some monitors like the acer predator IPS 165hz gsync ones which were around £600 new and £500 used are going for around £300 brand new. the same seller is selling other gsync monitors like the popular dell one and others like the mg279q for over £300 off the normal amazon seller prices

here's an image. the prices are insanely cheap. the one sold by amazon is a more realistic price and it's several hundred more than those monitors despite being one of the worst specs wise. also if you google the seller it comes up as a horse supplies shop. shall i just wing it and see what i get and if it is a scam just get amazon to refund me?

pcpartpicker.com/list/ZV9XbX

first time building a pc. I'm trying to aim for 1440p, but im stuck at deciding a good cpu cooler and im unsure about the mobo because of various comments i've read talking about updating bios on the x370

help?

forgot pic

Attached: d0c0ab9.png (1895x746, 650K)

Poorfag here. Thanks for the feedback, sounds like we will just go with the Xeon chip then and do an overhaul down the road.

>pcpartpicker.com/list/ZV9XbX
>$747 for a 1080
>but only $310 for 2700X
So obviously not Canadian prices. Wtf is going on here?
>retail windows price
HM
>grey label Corsair PSU
HM
>a shitty MSI x470 board that's worse than a lot of b350 boards
well that's something
>960 evo
get memed i guess idk I lost interest in this build. Too many issues to fix them all for you

Yes that Dell does look cheap. Though the AOC one is normally fairly cheap, isn't it?
But you know how Amazon's return policy is.

>I got a Benq gw2270hm, a VA panel. Did I done goofed?
I mean for a 2014 monitor, that's not that terrible. But you won't need much to drive that. A 1600 and gtx 1050ti would be fine, but you may as well get the bundle with the RX580 8gb and upgrade monitor down the line since that bundle with ebates+groupon newegg giftcards is cheap.
That shit is expiring in like 45mins though.

That's an old VA panel, probably not great. Also pretty small at less than 22 inches

Could be because a new wave of Gsync monitors is coming out soon

Fine but if you want to save a few bucks just get the 2600/X. X470 mobos will have updated BIOS

>Yes that Dell does look cheap. Though the AOC one is normally fairly cheap, isn't it?
>But you know how Amazon's return policy is.

The aoc one is cheap-er than the other monitors at msrp yeah but not that cheap. Nowhere near that cheap even when used. I'm thinking that I should just wing it and see what arrives or If anything arrives at all but I also don't really want the hassle of trying to prove it didn't arrive and who knows what tricks these scammers have up their sleeves nowadays. They probably have ways to make Amazon think you're the one in the wrong rather than them.

>Could be because a new wave of Gsync monitors is coming out soon
Possibly but why aren't the big retailers doing the same?

>But you won't need much to drive that. A 1600 and gtx 1050ti would be fine
Get out of the thread, retard. It's a 1080p monitor, and the preferred 60FPS card for that res is a 1060/580

A 1050Ti gets paired with with low end CPUs like the G4560/G5400, 2200G. An overkill CPU for a 1050Ti is an i3 8100. An R5 1600 is a waste of money that should be put into a better graphics card than a 1050Ti

Get fucked, and get out of the thread, shithead.

On second thought it's probably a scam. I wouldn't risk it

niggers, thinking of selling my 6600k and itx board for 8400 (new) or 8600k (used) and itx board.

is it true that i can sell a cpu that overclocks higher for a bit more? i boot into windows at x48 on auto voltage and that seems fairly fine but i never fucked around with it too much, ran stock for the time i had it (january 2018)

Just buy a used 7700/K for your current board. Similar performance to the 6c/6t i5s

Attached: Untitled1.png (3056x1080, 1.05M)

but why? if im removing the cpu might as well remove 4 screws and get rid of the whole thing
upgrading to a i7 is so useless for me AND its an older gen cpu so like why bother to pay extra if im still using an old cpu?

still tho, appreciate your comment. coulda told me to get a memezen

>old is bad
Some of the code that runs your computer right now is probably older than you are. You need to learn about processors instead of being like "lol old is bad" you fucking idiot.
IPC, Branch prediction, throughput, etc. Those are things that actually quantify processor performance, not how old it is. When some faggot like you comes and asks for advice just to shove it off due to ignorance, you deserve to get fucked by a cactus

I can't decide if I want a 8700k or 2700x? I mainly play games and program with occasional streaming and VM work. I also have a gsync 120hz panel paired with a 1070.

Unrelated but is small form factor ITX builds worth it?