Why is open sores always playing catch up with proprietary software?

SIX YEARS in the fucking making and this new release introduces absolutely no innovation, it's just another half-assed attempt at catching up with what Photoshop had 10 years ago.

Attached: gimp2.10.png (1138x562, 212K)

Other urls found in this thread:

microsoft.com/en-au/software-download/windows10ISO
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

But comes with a new dark theme

Attached: images(3).jpg (512x384, 32K)

the GIMP team sucks, we know
this release is almost entirely just "oh shit, we haven't actually updated stable in forever, here you go"

these are the same people who spent like a decade twiddling their fucking thumbs over adding autosave because GIMP isn't supposed to crash (they finally do have some crash recovery in this release)
I still use GIMP like every day, but that's more out of habit since I'm pretty fast in it and have gotten used to its workflow (used to be an all PS guy, I've gotten loads slower there).

ask for your money back

image manipulation tools aren't important enough for people to make them without being paid

>this release is almost entirely just "oh shit, we haven't actually updated stable in forever, here you go"
Have you seen the changelog? This is a huge as fuck release.

these changes were sitting in unstable for ages

It's actually a minor release since only the middle number has incremented. Learn about the versioning scheme, you idiot.

Please realize that GIMP is developed 98% by one person, 1% by another person, and 1% by patches that may or may not be actual help to the main developer. (Often patches create more work to review than they save time.)

With little money to support full-time development, there is little motivation to develop it since the developers have not commercialized it. The life's work of one person has been dumped into this software, and he has succeeded in making the most widely used image editor in existence, although he has gained very little salary from it. It's much easier to get a job in a data collecting software company than to develop software that about a million people use.

There is virtually no good way to solve this problem. He could ask for donations, but this business model is 1/100 effective as charging for it. He could ask for grants, but no organization would benefit much from this. So this is just the way it is. If you give away software for free, not a single person will put more than a year of full-time hard work into it, so this is the best that free consumer software can be.

Get krita, it’s better in every single way

>pasted layer
>the actual image was made in photoshop

Attached: 1515733433413.jpg (508x381, 16K)

Lol. Well, probably Inkscape or something, since it's clearly a vector image with SVG-like gradients.

I'd pay $20 for GIMP

nice.

This is why we have liberapay, patreon etc.

Regardless of the service he uses to handle donations,
>this business model is 1/100 effective as charging for it

GIMP is practically dead, everyone has started using Krita now. Nobody wants to work on GIMP. That's what you get for not listening to your users, adding features like single-window mode after nearly two decades of complaining.

First painter to integrate waifu2x gets a score in the painterbowl.

>This is why
And then we see anons constantly complaining about their very existence.

gcc and clang are always years ahead of msvc (microsoft c compiler), desktop environments have features that are added 10 years later to windows

I only use krita, inkscape, and photoshop (all on linux, cs6 runs fine)

Fuck you and your gibs. If you think you can do better do it.

And yet still no filepicker thumbnails.

Are you retarded? I'll admit that GIMP is shit, but this latest release made it much less so. Yeah these were in photoshop since CS3 but still new to GIMP.

Works on KDE.

Anyone been so far thought about releasing a fart under the GNU GPL?

>ask for your money back
Hate to agree with this one, but this guy is right.

>use firefox under kde
>get shitty filepicker
>use gimp under kde
>get shitty filepicker
>use vscode under kde
>get shitty filepicker
Didn't help, user.

Attached: smilie-masculino-decepcionado-8594830.jpg (214x160, 7K)

so patch it

Attached: 2018-04-30-202017_967x604_scrot.png (967x604, 116K)

>website claims installer contains both 32 and 64bit
>setup only contains 64bit contents
i know, i know, meme arrow 32b in 2k18, but are they also dropping support for some platforms with this release or is that a mistake?

Not even Microsoft releases 32bit versions of Windows 10.
microsoft.com/en-au/software-download/windows10ISO
Go here and try to find it.

Imagine being so terrible at creating an image editor that a bunch Artfags trying to create a draw Program have made image editing more comfortable than you have.

Attached: Kiki_the_Cyber_Squirrel_mascot_of_Krita_plastic_model_kit_design_sheet.png (5722x3508, 2.69M)

Stay mad OP

They need new developers and some funding, why don't they start a patreon or crowd funding. Too bad they aren't participating GSoC this year.
Aah well, it works. I'm not a professional and can do all my shit with GIMP, also we have Inkscape and Krita which work great.
Questions for professionals, what's missing from GIMP that prevents you from using it?

>needing to know about a vague patch
>needing to know how to find and install said patch

W
H
E
W

getting and applying patches may be a difficult and obscure thing to do on windows, but not so much on linux
if this puts you off, why are you even using linux? being able to freely modify things is one of the greatest advantages to foss

yeah but its free

GIMP overstayed its welcome and doesn't deserve any of that anymore. Take a guess whether Krita is getting all the successful kickstarter campaigns and GSoC's now.

Attached: captain.jpg (1280x536, 64K)

As for your question - brushes are shitty, pressure sensitivity is shitty, UI is shitty, filters are shitty, the Liquify tool (iWarp) only works in a separate window where you have to to work with a postage stamp-sized thumbnail, do i need to go on?

Because there are literally two spare-time developers working on Gimp.

On the other hand, how the fuck can these two developers create a program that for 99% of people is a perfect substitute for Photoshop which has 20+ full time developers handpicked for their skills.

Phothoshop devs should fucking die in shame.

But GIMP isn't really for drawing, is it? I thought that GIMP had shitty drawing tools because it wasn't meant as drawing tool and more for editing. Does Krita have the same editing functions + drawing?

Yeah, i've heard that excuse before. GIMP is philosophically intended to be be exactly how it is right now, anything that's bad is stylistically designed to be that way and you're using it wrong.

Krita has all sorts of filters and editing functions, it even has full-blown 2D animation editor capabilities at this point.

If you're using a mac pixelmator is pretty decent

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-04-30 at 14.24.05.png (1440x900, 411K)

Yeah, maybe GIMP should just accept the bloat. GIMP also has animation support (atleast for creating gifs)
I mostly use GIMP for my meme making and other stuff, I think I'll give Krita a spin next time.

>bloat

GIMP is what happens when you put beautiful code before real-world use. The people who actually need it don't care how brilliant GEGL is. They want a tool that can be used professionally, not just for gifs and memes.

Blender used to be like this many years ago, but at one point they started doing little film projects with real artists every few years in order to make the tool usable in a practical scenario. As it stands currently, Blender has already started to surpass Autodesk's multi-thousand dollar packages in many ways.

>open source
geez what a commie