Why does it seem that the jailbreaking scene on iOS died...

Why does it seem that the jailbreaking scene on iOS died? I've been on Android for the past four years and haven't been paying attention, but it seems pretty destitute right now.

Attached: cydia-icon.png (475x405, 57K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wired.com/2010/07/feds-ok-iphone-jailbreaking/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

because they lost the lawsuit so it is no longer needed

lawsuit?

Bump for curiosity

Attached: ZQfJ.jpg (368x368, 12K)

Jailbreaking on iOS was big until about 5th gen iphones. I think with the advent of raspberry pi for decent sbc emulation plus the only thing you would get out of it would be UI customization and custom ringtones. Plus Apple sued Zodd and other devs so they cant make new versions of Cydia anymore.

Because theres no demand for it. Most things people jailbroke for are standard now.

>torch button
>save files onto device
>not have iTunes fuck your shit up
>adblocker

Zodd doesn't make Cydia though, Saurik does.
Also, I can't seem to find anything about a lawsuit against Zodd. As far as I know, they shut down because of lack of revenue.

wired.com/2010/07/feds-ok-iphone-jailbreaking/

first article I found on google....I did not read this, but I suspect it supports what I said

Because just like Android custom ROM development, the community is about 75+ percent teenagers--the only people with enough free time to spend hours tweaking the icon layout on their phone and other dumb shit. Being teenagers they're generally stupid assholes and so trying to go through places like r/jailbreak is painful as shit.

this
no one cares about your beta freedoms and hacking, OP. Most people were jailbreaking to add the actual missing functionality and now it's all there.

Quick rundown on why jailbreaking is kill:
>emulators can be installed via forged enterprise certs now on stock iOS
>most of the popular tweaks circa 2010-2013 have been implemented officially now
>mobilesubstrate is a memory hog and destabilizes the entire springboard
>good themes cost money now and come with tons of DRM
>free themes are shit
>most of the themes you see in screenshots date back to pre-Retina, so the assets don't scale up
>most of the good tweakers have moved onto other projects
>the App Store is a lot less restrictive than it was in 2009-2011 so apps that would have been banned back then are allowed now
>skinning your shit isn't cool anymore because nobody sees it but you
>kind of a security risk if you have financial apps installed

Also And the big one:
>most of the OS hackers are on android now

This is part of the reason why I moved away from Android. Custom ROMs, while awesome for hacking and tweaking, are a problem if the standard response for OEMs installing shit firmware is to download a ROM that a teenager in India wrote, install it at the root level on your expensive phone, and pretend it's okay because muh open source.

I was excited about custom rooms until I tried few of them.

this. and because most people that own iPhones (mine were my fathers hand-me-downs from his company) actually have the money to buy expensive apps like TomTom or Garmin navigation, which were the only apps worth jailbreaking an iPhone app for.

A lot of the good ROMs died once Android 5 dropped with the new (at the time) runtime environment. Basically changed the way the OS executes code for huge performance, battery, and security improvements. Now, instead of a bunch of ROM teams, we have like 2-3 kids forking the wreckage of the Cyanogenmod disaster.
>inb4 lineageos
It's not the same, man... *cries*

Everyone in this thread is wrong.

What killed jailbreak was the us government paying some Israeli jb team over $1 million usd for their custom jb. Basically some retard cop locked this Muslim terrorists phone and The USA govt wanted Apple to create a custom jailbreak just for them. Apple said no and a fight was starting but then the govt was able to purchase a jailbreak.

Now there’s entire companies/agencies willing to fork over millions for iOS jb (since billions use them) so there’s little incentive to release it to a whiny community for free.

most jailbreaks require you to have unlocked access though

this
most people who care about that probably use android now

Only real reason to still jailbreak is to change the default browser and mail client. And even then, I'm not sure if the dev updated those to iOS 11.

>iOS
>save files onto device without jailbreak

Attached: download_20180404_022850.jpg (500x326, 40K)

I still jailbreak, my daily use phone is jailbroken on 8.1. The jailbreaking scene is so garbage nowadays.

Attached: awlzFsZ.jpg (1242x2208, 135K)

Because redditors

Because anyone who gives a shit moved to android

>not being jailbroken on 11.1.2
Feels bretty gud