Wayland is cancer. it's not ready for real usage and probably never will be, yet its being crammed down our throats...

wayland is cancer. it's not ready for real usage and probably never will be, yet its being crammed down our throats. it's the default setting in both ubuntu and fedora, even though its horrifically buggy and slow, wine applications don't work with it at all, most games don't work with it, and you can't even set custom resolutions (or in many cases, use any other resolution other than the native one of your display) and that also applies to running games in windowed mode - you can't even resize the window to any other resolution than the native one, which means if its in a bordered window there's no way to make it fit on your screen. mouse movement is choppy whenever the system is under load, everything is poorly optimized, and they can't even make it work properly with most graphics cards.

the wayland developers are fucking retards and for some reason gnome and kde are trying to migrate to it even though it's completely broken. the only other alternative to X is mir, which is designed specifically for ubuntu because canonical is a horrible company and is only working in their own interest and not in the interest in the linux community as a whole.

tl;dr if you want to know if wayland is good or not, start up gdm and notice how it still gives you the option to start gnome in X11 mode and then ask yourself why they would do that if wayland is so great.

Attached: wayland.jpg (480x360, 21K)

Other urls found in this thread:

arcan-fe.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

the only annoying thing about Wayland is broken mpv support and no redshift. everything else works fine.

>if you want to know if wayland is good or not,
...notice how X11 developers themselves abandoned it for wayland

Someone along the way probably warned you Linux is an experimental OS for hobbyists.

You didn't listen.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.
Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Linux is just the kernel. It has no userspace.

Well go ahead and write your own display server then.

Wayland is nowhere near ready to replace X, but being default in a couple of distros is not 'showing it down our throats', and XWayland is on those distros so that you can run your X apps with ease.

Wayland is an extremely simple protocol, this is by design as it allows the greatest flexibility. It also means that a ton of functionality needs to reside in the compositor, however you don't need to write all that functionality, you can just leverage a compositor library like wlroots, also the developers of wlroots are creating protocols for components such as panels etc, which even KDE is considering adopting.

Wayland will replace X, but it will take several more years, whiners like you mean nothing, only people who actually do something matter.

making a major, incompatible change in anything is difficult, especially in a system with no central authority
wayland solves some real problems, but like many others, i'll wait until i can switch without sacrificing anything

you don't need to be a baker to know if a cake tastes like shit

>being default in a couple of distros is not 'showing it down our throats'

imagine being a complete newbie to linux and booting up ubuntu for the first time (because ubuntu is the "friendly distro" despite being an unstable pile of shit based on debian sid) and you log in and you have nothing but problems because wayland is the default setting on gdm. you don't know what the fuck wayland or x11 are, you just want to try out a new OS and your very first experience with it is everything being broken. if you're like most people, you'll then conclude that linux is worthless and you'll going back to windows.

>broken mpv support
works fine here
maybe you shouldn't use shit distro

>no redshift
>start i3 on another tty
>redshift -O3000
>return to your tty

wayland is made to be used in cars and production stupid
no one cares about your shitingstreet10 desktop

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Wayland, is in fact, GNOME/Wayland, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNOME plus Wayland. Wayland is not an desktop environment unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNOME system made useful by the GNOME core, utilities and vital system components comprising a full DE as defined by Jow Forums

if you want to try weston

>it's the default setting in both ubuntu
Not true.
It was the default for 17.10, on 18.04 Xorg is the default.

Except this isn't default on any distros. So, now what?

I thought fedora iirc?

fedora is rhel beta, the experimental version for hobbyists

Some dude is actually doing it.
arcan-fe.com/

It's not default on Ubuntu, dumbfuck.
>you can't even set custom resolutions (or in many cases, use any other resolution other than the native one of your display)
Oh, really? I don't give a fuck about that because xorg is garbage when it comes to custom resolutions. You want a custom resolution on X you have to add it, but it's impossible to keep it persistently so that means you have to make a script that will add it on boot and enable it. Which is STILL useless because not only does it not work after a reboot anyway (so you have to manually pick it in the display settings) it doesn't even work on the login screen. On Wayland, however, I immediately had an option to pick the resolution I wanted (1600x900) while X was always stuck with 1366 or 1920x1080 by default.

There's no need to write a new display server when xorg exists and works just fine. I honestly don't have much experience with Wayland, though. I didn't even try it until a month ago. I'm using a triple 4K monitor setup. Wayland just crashed when I tried to set that up correctly. Perhaps it will be ready if/when I try it again in a year or so.

Wayland is shit, it doesn't support icc profiles properly and cuts battery life in half.
xorg x11 is the best x11 and will be the best x11

>Wayland just crashed
>A protocol just crashed
right, maybe next time try to use a non-shit compositor